Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogFan

Easy question....Mitch Mustain, oh wait were talking about basketball.........Mitch Mustain.

hamhog

Keith Lee (West Memphis) was outstanding but injuries plagued him late in college and in the NBA.

Dutch

It is Corliss.

Does anyone remember the footage on Chanel 4 of Corliss breaking the backboard......in Junior High?

RealHogFan

Lawson Pilgrim was pretty good.  And the point guard they had a Conway.  Think it was Austin Sullivan.  He was flat out awesome.  One of the best point guards ever in high school IMO.

They were the best team my high school senior year. 

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: WADHOG on April 16, 2007, 08:02:53 am
Charles Balentine, Theo Young, Jeff Cliffton was great for Searcy.

Searcy also had David Dean good ball player in jail now though

#1 STUNNA

patrickparish

MarylandHog

We're on the 4th page and nobody has mentioned Tim Scott from Hall? That '83 team they had was great.

BigDeal

Houston Nutt; Little Rock Central High School - 1975

Barman91

I agree re: Lee and Cage at West Memphis in '80; I was in HS in Jonesboro at the time.  Cage was incredible.  Very strong, a man amongst boys.  Lee was very thin but extremely agile with a soft touch.  They had an awesome backcourt as well.  I know this post was about the best player, but that team was incredible.

wishyjoshy

Quote from: SteelShot on January 10, 2007, 02:34:33 pm
I will go with Jason Gilbert!  Just kidding.  You can blast me if you cant take a joke and if you are on here Gilbert, Go Phi.   

He's on here. 

Can you find him? 

Razor-back

Corliss Williamson!  When I was in high school at Fayetteville, Russellville played us at our gym.  Corliss had more ponts then our whole team at half time....and we had a good team.

jamie72921

Quote from: aristotle on January 09, 2007, 04:33:16 pm
Best team ( not that you asked ) : 1992 LR Parkview. Dion Cross and Derrick Fisher = best backcourt in Arkansas history, IMO. 7 Guys from that team went D - 1.

The best team ever was West Memphis. Not sure of the year but it had both Keith Lee and Michael Cage on it.

Both would make the NBA. Cage would lead the NCAA in rebounding and Lee was an All American.

I think they only lost 1 game in 2 seasons.

Don't know who was best but,

Willie Cutts, Jimmy Oliver, Corliss Williamson, Ron Brewer, Marvin Delph, Sidney Moncrief, Joe Harvell, Keith Lee, Michael Cage, James Anderson, Quincy Lewis, Ronnie Brewer, Eugene Watkins?(Fay 88'), ...
Bless your heart

bigyellowdog

Quote from: MarylandHog on April 16, 2007, 10:17:35 am
We're on the 4th page and nobody has mentioned Tim Scott from Hall? That '83 team they had was great.

I was thinking of Tim Scott Scott, also.  The Hall team from 1983 was great. They had Allie Freeman on that team, also.  Keith Jackson Sr from Parkview was a good one, as well

joeyself

Quote from: joeyself on January 09, 2007, 10:16:36 pm

Actually, there is another girl I'm trying to think of, but can't quite come up with her name. Gail someone, I think?

I thought of it--Gail Buffington.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hawgnacious

Keith Lee was probably the best prospect to come out of Arkansas, but Benny Green from NLR in the mid-80s was unbelievable and arguably the most talented player to play Arkansas high school basketball.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: bfosh on January 09, 2007, 07:17:38 pm
Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:31:29 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 09, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm
Sidney Moncrife, Joe Johnson, Ail Thomson

Corliss Williamson

rated the #1 player in the country
I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

Wrong.  Russellville won that game and Corliss blocked a last second shot by Kidd to win or tie the game.

Not sure which player was rated higher

Yeah, I was at that game. Corless blocked Kidd's last second shot to hold on to the win. He was ranked #1 after that.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: Immensehog on January 09, 2007, 10:45:03 pm
I'll throw an interesting name out.

He is still in the NFL, but was probably the most-feared post player Arkansas high school ever had.

Keith Traylor from Malvern.

He broke numerous backboards around South Arkansas, and his flying elbows sent several folks to dream land.

Best high school player I have ever seen in person.  FB or BB.

Oh, man, I had to play against Kieth and his brother Eric. Malvern was loaded back then too. I remember playing them in Jr. High (when I was at White Hall) and they dunked on us 3 times (2 different players, Eric Trailer had 2 dunks.) This was a JUNIOR HIGH game. When you walked into Malvern's gym back then, you would see the walls covered with orange paper hands. One for each blocked shot.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

ab50147

Keith "Big Pete" Peterson LR Parkview 1978
Keith Lee and Michael Cage West Memphis 1980
Randy Rutherford LR Catholic 1980
Kim Cooksey LR Parkview as a Frosh 1980

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Barman91 on April 16, 2007, 10:22:30 am
I agree re: Lee and Cage at West Memphis in '80; I was in HS in Jonesboro at the time.  Cage was incredible.  Very strong, a man amongst boys.  Lee was very thin but extremely agile with a soft touch.  They had an awesome backcourt as well.  I know this post was about the best player, but that team was incredible.

Willie Cuts, hands down.  Joe Johnson and Corliss are not far behind. 

#1 STUNNA

imisswarrenlinn

I thought I could sneak Jason McDonald from Saratoga, Arkansas in there, but alas someone beat me to it. He was freaking unbelievable. Just another sad case of an academic casualty.

Other than McDonald, Ricky Norton and Brandon Davis have to get my votes simply taking into account what they did at the high school level. Brandon's "stage fright" really kept him from producing at U of A. I was talking with a guy who walked on with him the same year and he said Brandon was the best player on the court in practice by far. Just got scared to death in a real game situation.

I saw all three of them play, plus all of the Parkview guys, Williamson, Joe and J. Hart, and McDonald was the best hands down.

Prettiest little girl ever I saw, stood on the banks of the Arkansas. Her eyes were wild and her stare was mean. She's the prettiest d@mn girl ever I seen.

BCRavens

I won't say he was the state's best ever, but Muntrelle Dobbins was pretty good at Hot Springs in the early 90's. Could pretty much count on a double-double every night in high school. Had a pretty good career at UALR. Sun-Belt player of the year and defensive player of the year in '97. First pick overall in the CBA draft.
Cub Fan - Bud Man

Red Tusk

Sidney w/o a doubt.

Flannigan wasn't too shabby.
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

BigDeal

It is surprising that Willie Cutts' name is coming up on this thread so often. Never saw him play in high school, but didn't know he made that type of impact.

demonHOG1013

sirhog

Jason McDonald was excellent. He could shoot the mid range jumper, long range jumper, and was very quick.

bigghurtt

Just curious, but any of the old farts on here ever see Larry Hurtt of Salem (graduated in 69) play?

He's my dad, he was all-state a couple of times and was recruited quite a bit.

Obviously he's not up for consideration in this thread, just curious if anyone ever saw the old man in his youth.  Lendell Thomas, who was coach at Harrison when I was there, said he was one of the best he ever saw in Arkansas.

DEVIL DOG HOG

S. Strickland of Morrilton and she still has 1 year of high school left. 8) 8) 8)
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Stella

It might end up being James Anderson.  Hope not!

hoggystyle78

Corliss Williamson, Willie Cutts, Keith Lee, Michael Cage, Caldwell Jones and his brother, can't remeber his name, Major I think. Caldwell played for the 76ers for a while. Joe Johnson, Ricky Norton, Ron Brewer Sr.

bigghurtt

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on April 16, 2007, 05:32:44 pm
Corliss Williamson, Willie Cutts, Keith Lee, Michael Cage, Caldwell Jones and his brother, can't remeber his name, Major I think. Caldwell played for the 76ers for a while. Joe Johnson, Ricky Norton, Ron Brewer Sr.

Yup, major.

Heard MANY stories about those two growing up.

gomersnerd

Jerry rook  nettleton about 1960

on the record book is anyone listed more than matt Secrease from weiner???
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

charleyhog

Lot of great players, one of the best / biggest games i ever saw, when Conway "Marvin Delph" played Ft. Smith " Ron Brewer" for the state championship in old Barton Collisium. Both teams undefeated, man what a great atmosphere that game was.

Even though Conway lost, still a highlight for us

Those 2 players helped turn what Razorback basketball is today

An old hog fanatic

In 69 and 70 Searcy had a kid named Lonnie Webber who was just unbelievable at center.  He could have gone about anywhere to college but for some reason chose ASU.  Never was that great in college but he dominated during his time in high school.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

Hoot72

I am going to throw out some old school names that need to be mentioned, and I am sure that that they have some where on this thread:

Jackie Ridge -- Altheirmer
     Almer Lee -- Fort Smith Northside
     Lawson Pilgrim -- Conway
     Major Jones -- Desha Central
     Caldwell Jones -- Desha Central
     Bennie Fuller -- Arkansas School for the Deaf
     Dexter Reed -- Little Rock Parkview (?)

Hoot72

After I read the whole thread, there is one name I am surprised is not on there, and I don't remember where he was from -- Ricky Medlock

nonoffensiveposter

I think it has to be Corliss as the best ever.

I would also like to throw David Bass from the Caddo Hills team from 1990 out there too. The guy was smooth. For those that remember, Caddo Hills was a 1A team that lost a close one to Ken Biley's Pine Bluff in the state championship. Caddo had 2 D-1 players from that team.
Closest thing to Hickory vs. South Bend Central Arkansas had ever seen. I believe that may have been the last time the state high school championships had an overall tourney.

brixboy

Ricky Norton...he was simply a MAN!  He would dominate and I mean dominate. 

cowboym

Quote from: Hoot72 on April 16, 2007, 07:55:13 pm
     I am going to throw out some old school names that need to be mentioned, and I am sure that that they have some where on this thread:

Lawson Pilgrim -- Conway

Bennie Fuller was at least 20 if not older when he played for the ASD.  He was in range as soon as he crossed half court.

Keith Lee/Michael Cage have to be mentioned in tandem, it was a shame Eddie Sutton missed them although I always wondered if Keith Lee didn't get some incentive to go to Memphis other than tuition.
Cowboy M

Catfish

nonoffensiveposter

Quote from: cowboym on April 16, 2007, 08:53:02 pm
Quote from: Hoot72 on April 16, 2007, 07:55:13 pm

Lawson Pilgrim -- Conway

Bennie Fuller was at least 20 if not older when he played for the ASD.  He was in range as soon as he crossed half court.

Keith Lee/Michael Cage have to be mentioned in tandem, it was a shame Eddie Sutton missed them although I always wondered if Keith Lee didn't get some incentive to go to Memphis other than tuition.

How dare you drag the good name of Dana Kirk through the mud like that!

nonoffensiveposter

Quote from: Jerry Swine-feld on April 16, 2007, 08:40:36 pm
Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on April 16, 2007, 08:37:17 pm

I would also like to throw David Bass from the Caddo Hills team from 1990 out there too. The guy was smooth. For those that remember, Caddo Hills was a 1A team that lost a close one to Ken Biley's Pine Bluff in the state championship. Caddo had 2 D-1 players from that team.
Closest thing to Hickory vs. South Bend Central Arkansas had ever seen. I believe that may have been the last time the state high school championships had an overall tourney.

as an alum of caddo hills, i would agree that he was sick.... but so was Chris Jones

Yes, Chris Jones. Didn't he end up at ASU?

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on April 16, 2007, 09:38:59 pm
Quote from: Jerry Swine-feld on April 16, 2007, 08:40:36 pm
Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on April 16, 2007, 08:37:17 pm

as an alum of caddo hills, i would agree that he was sick.... but so was Chris Jones

Yes, Chris Jones. Didn't he end up at ASU?

Ouachita

rricha

Robert Big Deal Till Griffin Little Rock Central use to eat Sidneys lunch when  Hall and Central played. 1975 over-all champs.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: BigDeal on April 16, 2007, 02:54:58 pm
It is surprising that Willie Cutts' name is coming up on this thread so often. Never saw him play in high school, but didn't know he made that type of impact.

I went to UCA but was at the U of A visiting some friends one weekend and saw him do a between the legs ally oop from almost half court.  This was in 1981-82 I think.  I also saw the state championship (or playoff, can't remember) game between Willie's Bryant team and Keith Lee's West Memphis squad at the UCA Gym.  W. Memphis won but Willie put on a shooting clinic.

bobetty

Central's Houston Nutt, Jr. the night he lit up the Blind School for 62 points.