Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BumpieJohnson

aristotle

Corliss Williamson.

Though we beat him at SHS in 1992. Game was televised and violated about 15 fire codes due to crowd size.

rjmass

Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

aristotle

Best team ( not that you asked ) : 1992 LR Parkview. Dion Cross and Derrick Fisher = best backcourt in Arkansas history, IMO. 7 Guys from that team went D - 1.

Richard_white

I'm going ole skool here.

I know he never panned out but if he stayed out of trouble I would say Willie Cutts.

But like I said he didn't pan out.  If I chose another one I would say Big Nasty.

spudhog

corliss or joe johnson. pg harrison from parkview wasn't bad either

aristotle

Quote from: spudhog on January 09, 2007, 04:33:36 pm

Also had Wes Flannigan ( good guard from Auburn a few years back. He was a Soph and didn't even sniff the court that year, talk about depth ).

murray-vegas

wishyjoshy

pg harrison from parkview wasn't bad either

He was scrappy and knew how to draw a foul. 

All other write-in candidates are offended that they are mentioned in the same sentence, though.

aristotle

Quote from: murray-vegas on January 09, 2007, 04:35:38 pm
Michael Cage was a beast in HS, wasn't he?

Yeah, that's old school. East side of Ark...W Memphis maybe?

BumpieJohnson

Corliss how could i foreget about him. And my point guard at Jacksonville Deshawn Ford he went to play at SIU.

reeser

It's about getting control of your life and letting go at the same time.   - The Cup

wishyjoshy

Obviously not the best ever, but Keith Carter from Perryville was really good.

BumpieJohnson

aristotle

Quote from: JFen on January 09, 2007, 04:46:08 pm
Obviously not the best ever, but Keith Carter from Perryville was really good.

Didn't that Ole Miss team start 4 guys from Arkansas that year? They were pretty good too.

Pignominious

Quote from: aristotle on January 09, 2007, 04:35:25 pm

Also had Wes Flannigan ( good guard from Auburn a few years back. He was a Soph and didn't even sniff the court that year, talk about depth ).

They have the roster up in the gym loby.  Its fun to look at all those good teams.  I went to PV.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Nap

I'm not the best authority on this subject, but Corliss Williamson comes to mind.  I remember when I was in school in Fayetteville a lot of people would drive down to Russellville to see the Big Nasty play.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

crowhawg

Without a doubt, Keith Lee from West Memphis.  One year behind Cage.  Kinda fizzled late in college.  Was an amazing HS player.

novack2

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:51:57 pm
Petterson from Oak Grove and went to osu

Adrian Peterson. I think he was class of 95 along with Quincey Lewis and Kieth Carter. Was Corey Carr any good? I think he was class of 94.

SteelShot

Corliss Williamson.  I saw him in a tourney in Texarkana, TX (the name escapes me, but I want to say the Red River Shootout) and the final game was Russellville against Tyler, TX.  Bobby Taylor, defensive back for Notre Dame and the Philly Eagles in the early 90s, was the staring shooting guard for Tyler, TX. 

That was the most entertaining high school game I have ever seen. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

clemensrules01

joe johnson's LR Central team was probably the best ever in the state.

many at central werent even sure joe was the best player. jarrett hart was regarded as just as talented. that was a hell of a team.

Anon2

January 09, 2007, 05:15:46 pm #24 Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:17:54 pm by Anon2
Houston Nutt, Sr.   Fordyce  or his brother, Clyde.

FSHog67

Tommy Boyer--Two State Championship teams--unstoppable in his time.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: BumpieJohnson on January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm
Sidney Moncrife, Joe Johnson, Ail Thomson

Corliss Williamson

rated the #1 player in the country

Mister_BS

Boot (Ron Brewer) was the best I ever played against or saw, including Corliss. Boot was unstoppable and they were unbeaten state champs his senior year. A 6-4 point guard who could play shut-down defense, post up on offense or bury the jumper.

unstoppable

Tommy Boyer is an interesting pick, too.

it might be Almer Lee, from Northside, a flashy guard who played at arkansas (not sure how long in the late 60s) and then with the globetrotters

Mister_BS

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 09, 2007, 05:27:47 pm

Corliss Williamson

I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:31:29 pm

Corliss Williamson

I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

Yeah i thought of that
I figured it was between Corliss and Kidd for that #1 ranking.

Mister_BS

Don Kessinger deserves a shout ... played hoops and baseball at Ole Miss and was an All-Star shortstop with the Cubs. Forrest City flash was supposedly a great hoopster

better players than many mentioned so far are richard scott and nicky bradford (both played at Kansas), Caldwell Jones (76ers) and his two brothers, Quincy Lewis (led the Big Ten in scoring at Minnesota) ... ok, my brain is tired

Hogtropolis™

Corliss...his HS team was selling out the arena at ATU the Wonderboys couldn't.  All because of Corliss.

jamie72921

Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 04:58:06 pm
Without a doubt, Keith Lee from West Memphis.  One year behind Cage.  Kinda fizzled late in college.  Was an amazing HS player.

Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.
Bless your heart

AltaHog

Boothead would have to be up there. I was young, but he was awesome.

Quote from: Richard_white on January 09, 2007, 04:33:22 pm
I'm going ole skool here.

I know he never panned out but if he stayed out of trouble I would say Willie Cutts.

Guarded Willie one game. If I can guard him, he does not qualify.

rricha

Robert Till Griffin Little Rock Central 1975 wore Hall and Sidney out.

Chris Bennett Little Rock Catholic
Almer Lee Fort smith Northside
Dexter Reed Little Rock Parkview
Keith Lee West Memphis

arkrazfan

Quote from: SteelShot on January 09, 2007, 05:02:26 pm
Corliss Williamson.  I saw him in a tourney in Texarkana, TX (the name escapes me, but I want to say the Red River Shootout) and the final game was Russellville against Tyler, TX.  Bobby Taylor, defensive back for Notre Dame and the Philly Eagles in the early 90s, was the staring shooting guard for Tyler, TX. 

That was the most entertaining high school game I have ever seen. 

That was the Red River Shootout in 1992 but Taylor played for Longview. Corliss caught an alley oop off an inbounds pass to win the game. Longview beat my team to make it to the finals against Russellville.

Skip Foreplay

Freddy Grim,of Green Forest.played for the hogs in the late 50's early 60's

rricha

Willie Earl Cutts you can visit him at arkansas department of corrections inmate site

arkrazfan

Anyone on hear ever see Bennie Fuller play from 1968-1971? Just wondering, he owns a bunch of records in the state record book. Houston Nutt Sr. coached him and I have heard Houston talk about how good he was before.

jamie72921

Ron Brewer, not Ronnie, should be considered for this list.

Marvin Delph was no slouch.

Corliss was by far the most dominant I ever saw in person.

Eugen Watson from Fayetteville in 1988 was the second best I ever saw in person.
Bless your heart

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

HeathWimp

Corliss Williamson

I thought that Russellville won that game.  Didn't Corliss block a shot near the end to preserve the win?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

pignparadise

I saw Cage,  Moncrief, Brewer, Williamson but the best by far was Bennie Fuller. I sat on the court as a 12 year old and watched him score 60 against a good Searcy team  that won 70-68 or so over Bennie's team (Arkansas School of the Deaf) coached by Houston Nutt SR. Most of shots were from almost half court. If there had been a three point line, he may have went for 90 that nite.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

bfosh

Corliss Williamson

Wrong.  Russellville won that game and Corliss blocked a last second shot by Kidd to win or tie the game.

Not sure which player was rated higher

ThunderHog

No contest...Keith Lee.  Lee and Michael Cage played on teams that were back to back state champs and won 60 straight games in the state's largest classification.  They were both rebounding machines.  I think that Lee still holds the state record with 33 in one game.  There was a book written about that team but I can't think of the Title.

crowhawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 04:58:06 pm

Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.

Thanks for the refresher!  Memory getting bad as I get older.  Didn't his knees start to bother him in his jr and sr year at MSU? Watched Lee play in a state playoff game during my Sr. year of High School.  TREmendous player.

arkrazfan

Quote from: pignparadise on January 09, 2007, 07:12:50 pm
I saw Cage,  Moncrief, Brewer, Williamson but the best by far was Bennie Fuller. I sat on the court as a 12 year old and watched him score 60 against a good Searcy team  that won 70-68 or so over Bennie's team (Arkansas School of the Deaf) coached by Houston Nutt SR. Most of shots were from almost half court. If there had been a three point line, he may have went for 90 that nite.

Bennie has many records. Most career points (4,896), second most in a game (102), highest average per game in a season (50.9)

Boner

Corliss' senior season he, Jason Kidd, and Othello Harrington were the consensus top 3 players of the year.  Williamson won the Gatorade Player of the Year award, Kidd was the USA Today Player of the Year, and Harrington won a few other national awards, including the MVP of the McDonalds game.

There may have been someone better (I doubt it), but no one got the national recognition that Corliss did.

pigsnoter49

I'll date myself with this name: Robert Stuart, 1965 Taylor High School.   He had offers from every major college in the U.S. when he was a senior.   UCLA, Kentucky, Houston, all the powers of that era.  Tremendous leaper, hugh hands, could dunk with the best.   
Ding Dong The Dork Is Gone Oh Happy Day!