Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren DeLoach

Sir Sid, Williamson, Lee

If Lee would have had any guidance...any (and no injury)....he would have been a Hall of Famer.
Sid is possibly the most underrated player ever in the NBA.
Williamson dominated at two levels of ball.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hognum P.I.

I'm surprised that no one at all has mentioned the Jess Norman kid from Jessieville in the late 80's.  Made a bigger name for himself in football, though.........

8)
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

jseinfeld50

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dr. Starcs

JackMcQueen

2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JackMcQueen on March 22, 2016, 12:09:06 pm
The Dem Gazette has a poll up..& it includes Malik Monk..

http://www.nwaonline.com/polls/2016/mar/who/

I'm baffled.   ??? ???

While I acknowledge that Monk can play, and I've said as much, put Sidney Moncrief defending him, and let's see what he scores.  Reverse that, and I don't think you see Sid struggle too much on the offensive side of the court. That's what would tip the scales for me just between those two.

Regardless, I would still vote for Corliss when it comes to HS players.  The entire defense could collapse on him when he got the ball, and he would just go around, through, and over them and score like a man child. 

For someone to vote for Monk over Williamson...I have to believe they didn't see both of them play.  Seriously...there was that much delta between their ability to OWN a basketball game. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HoopS

root_hawg

Yeah but Corliss came to Arkansas and Monk spurned them so there is that bias as well.

Inhogswetrust

March 22, 2016, 07:25:15 pm #459 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:45:52 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 22, 2016, 05:57:30 pm
I'm baffled.   ??? ???

While I acknowledge that Monk can play, and I've said as much, put Sidney Moncrief defending him, and let's see what he scores.   

In that scenario with Sidney guarding him I'll be generous and say 5 points. We are speaking of one of the best defenders in the NBA perhaps of all time. And Sidney would score on him down low. Sidney is one of the best post up guards down low I've ever seen. IIRC even Jordan said Sidney was the best defender he played against.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 21, 2016, 08:52:28 am
Sir Sid, Williamson, Lee

If Lee would have had any guidance...any (and no injury)....he would have been a Hall of Famer.
Sid is possibly the most underrated player ever in the NBA.
Williamson dominated at two levels of ball.

Baring injury one could say "would have been a HOF'er" of about thousand players. Lee was good but not NBA HOF good. At the NBA level everyone is good and just because one was great in college that doesn't always translate to a HOF career in the pros injury free or not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 22, 2016, 07:28:08 pm
Baring injury one could say "would have been a HOF'er" of about thousand players. Lee was good but not NBA HOF good. At the NBA level everyone is good and just because one was great in college that doesn't always translate to a HOF career in the pros injury free or not.

Lee was a 6 ft 11 small forward. He had handles, an amazing passer, NBA 3pt range, and could post almost anyone up.

Barring injury he is one of the greats ever.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Lord of the Styes

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 22, 2016, 08:28:10 pm
Lee was a 6 ft 11 small forward. He had handles, an amazing passer, NBA 3pt range, and could post almost anyone up.

Barring injury he is one of the greats ever.

I was alive then and no he wasn't. Don't' get me wrong he was very, very good but not HOF worthy even if healthy. One must be truly elite and one of the best to ever live worldwide and he just doesn't fit that mold.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on March 22, 2016, 10:41:03 pm
gotta be Scottie Pippen

While IN high school then no. AFTER his whole playing career was over that would probably be true.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2016, 07:12:36 am
While IN high school then no. AFTER his whole playing career was over that would probably be true.

Scottie was 6'1" coming out of high school and couldn't even earn a scholarship at UCA (he was a walk-on/manager to begin his freshman year), so no, he wasn't the best HS player.  Pro career though?  Yeah, even more accomplished than Sidney in that regard.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

zebradynasty

As I stated previously Scottie wasn't even the best player on his high school team. The best player was Ronnie Martin. That is who UCA was recruiting and saw Scottie but didn't have a scholarship to offer not sure he would gave him one even if he had it. Don't get me wrong he was a nice player but I don't think he even made all-state.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: aristotle on January 09, 2007, 04:30:23 pm
Corliss Williamson.

Though we beat him at SHS in 1992. Game was televised and violated about 15 fire codes due to crowd size.

Him and Sid.   

I watched that game on TV.  That and Wendy Shults leading FS Southside to a state title over Mount St Mary's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 23, 2016, 08:36:33 am
Him and Sid.   

I watched that game on TV.  That and Wendy Shults leading FS Southside to a state title over Mount St Mary's.

Wendy Scholtens.  But we know who you're talking about.

root_hawg

I will put Sid on him today in any gym and I bet Monk scores on him.

What is the latest update on the poll?

dhornjr1

Quote from: Boarmonger on November 11, 2015, 08:57:41 am
We've gotten 8 pages deep and I can't believe no one has mentioned Caldwell Jones or either of his brothers.  Big time players out of McGhee.  They always seem to fly under the radar but they were great players.

Edit:I guess it's nine pages deep with this post.

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on July 11, 2010, 05:57:44 pm
Caldwell, Major, and Wil Jones actually played at Wolff Project before it became Desha County Special Schools. My mother-in-law went to school with them.

Also, my dad did the radio broadcast for the state championship game the year Caldwell and Major's Wolff Project team played Pyatt. So, I heard about Caldwell and Major Jones while I was growing up, even before I knew they were NBA players.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why all the Jones boys went to Albany State. Then, I found out their older brother Oliver played there first, became an assistant coach there in 1970, and then became the head coach there in 1972.

HoopS

Quote from: root_hawg on March 23, 2016, 08:23:53 pm
I will put Sid on him today in any gym and I bet Monk scores on him.

What is the latest update on the poll?
I mean, Sid played in the 70's and 80's. I would hope Monk could score on him today.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 23, 2016, 07:23:48 am
Scottie was 6'1" coming out of high school and couldn't even earn a scholarship at UCA (he was a walk-on/manager to begin his freshman year), so no, he wasn't the best HS player.  Pro career though?  Yeah, even more accomplished than Sidney in that regard.

Someone knows a little history! Agree.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 11:46:42 am
Someone knows a little history! Agree.

I graduated from UCA the year before Scottie came.  But I continued to live in Conway for a couple of years after i graduated so I went to a few ballgames.  Honestly, I don't remember Pippin at all his freshman year.  By the end of his  sophomore year, he was dominating the AIC.  I've never seen a quicker transformation in an athlete (at least in the pre-steroids era).

KevinOMReb

Quote from: crowhawg on January 09, 2007, 04:58:06 pm
Without a doubt, Keith Lee from West Memphis.  One year behind Cage.  Kinda fizzled late in college.  Was an amazing HS player.

Agree,  Keith dominated HS basketball. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

Tacomeat

Best Arkansas high schooler based off of NBA Career Scottie Pippen.

Best Arkansas high schooler based off of College Career Corliss Willamson.

Best Arkansas high schooler based off High Scool Career Austin Reaves.

Best Overall at all 3 levels Sidney Moncreif.

Dr. Starcs

If the argument about Scottie is to have any weight, we should at least spell his name correctly.

P-i-p-p-e-n

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 11:51:15 am
I graduated from UCA the year before Scottie came.  But I continued to live in Conway for a couple of years after i graduated so I went to a few ballgames.  Honestly, I don't remember Pippin at all his freshman year.  By the end of his  sophomore year, he was dominating the AIC.  I've never seen a quicker transformation in an athlete (at least in the pre-steroids era).

Did you know a Ray that played on that team?  White, about 6'6", skinny.  Can't remember the first name.  He was a brother to a friend of mine who was about five or six years older than me, so I was never around him.  He played with Scottie.  Said his nickname was "Turtle" when he first got there, and then he just blew up.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KevinOMReb on March 24, 2016, 12:07:25 pm
Agree,  Keith dominated HS basketball. 

A lot of players have. What's your point?

ICEman

Osceola's Jimmie Luckie could sure hoop back in the day.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

bvillepig

Quote from: Tacomeat on March 24, 2016, 12:10:27 pm

Best Arkansas high schooler based off High Scool Career Austin Reaves.

There are a lot of High School kids in smaller classifications that put up the same numbers Reaves has. Skip Lane Buffalo Island, Gus Rusher Brinkley put up 65 or 70 on us one year. Donnie Black Corning and Allan Pruitt.  I did not have the pleasure of seeing Reaves and not to take anything away from him but I would suspect that Sid would have shut him down

Some others that most have never heard of
Jerry Rook Nettleton High School should get an honorable mention.
Most will have to look him up.
Donnie Kessinger (Chicago Cubs) for a high school player wasn't bad  either. 

Still Corliss and Sid are the two best that I have seen.

cpohog

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.

I was thinking the same thing! W Memphis with Lee and Cage went undefeated 2 years in a row.

cpohog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 11:51:15 am

You probably did not know about him his freshman year because he was a 6'1" walkon. Somewhere between his FR and SO years he grew to be 6'8" and that is when he became dominant.
The rest is history!!!

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 09, 2007, 06:26:10 pm
Fizzled in college?

He led Memphis St in scoring for four years. Took them to the final four his senior year.

First round draft pick taken by the Cleveland Cavs, but blew his ACL his rookie year. Back then they couldn't fix you after you blew an ACL so his career ended there. Otherwise, everyone here would know who he was.

The best team ever wouldn't have been that Parkview bunch, it would have been Lee and Cage at West Memphis. They only ever lost 1 game.

Actually, Lee's last two seasons, the Blue Devils were 60-0, with a pair of state titles, as well the Overall titles. They were literally unstoppable.

I'm from West Memphis, so I'm probably a little biased, but I think Keith Lee is the best player in high school history. The resume is loaded and if you ever catch a Keith Lee game on Youtube, just watched how skilled he was. He was 6'10, but could dribble, jump and do everything.

There are plenty of options, but if I had to pick just one player, I'd go with Lee.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ThunderHog on January 09, 2007, 07:26:16 pm
No contest...Keith Lee.  Lee and Michael Cage played on teams that were back to back state champs and won 60 straight games in the state's largest classification.  They were both rebounding machines.  I think that Lee still holds the state record with 33 in one game.  There was a book written about that team but I can't think of the Title.

West Memphis was AAAA at the time, so the next-to-largest classification in the state, but they were the best team as they won the Overall tournament both years in 1979 and 1980.

The book was called "60-0: The West Memphis Basketball Dynasty," and it was written by Billy Woods of the West Memphis School District. Awesome read.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: JackMcQueen on March 22, 2016, 12:09:06 pm
The Dem Gazette has a poll up..& it includes Malik Monk..

http://www.nwaonline.com/polls/2016/mar/who/

Pretty amazing that Monk wasn't mentioned before now.

I don't think he's the best, but a one-and-done prospect that's ranked as high as No. 3 in the nation is pretty impressive stuff.

Tacomeat

Quote from: bvillepig on March 24, 2016, 03:29:13 pm
There are a lot of High School kids in smaller classifications that put up the same numbers Reaves has. Skip Lane Buffalo Island, Gus Rusher Brinkley put up 65 or 70 on us one year. Donnie Black Corning and Allan Pruitt.  I did not have the pleasure of seeing Reaves and not to take anything away from him but I would suspect that Sid would have shut him down

Some others that most have never heard of
Jerry Rook Nettleton High School should get an honorable mention.
Most will have to look him up.
Donnie Kessinger (Chicago Cubs) for a high school player wasn't bad  either. 

Still Corliss and Sid are the two best that I have seen.

I played against Chip Layne at BIC, who was a very, very good player, but was no where near the player Reaves is. I'm just basing it off of accomplishments. There have not been a lot of players put up his numbers at any classification; he broke the state tournament scoring record this year by 20+ points. He crushed the NEA tournament scoring record this year which most of these eastern AR players mentioned played in. The 73 he put up in a win was over arguably the best overall team in the state this year. I watched him put 33 up in the 4th quarter to force OT in a game his team was trailing. He has 3 state titles & based off of high school accomplishments & stats. I saw him & most of the top players since 1990 in person & would rank him one. Not on potential, but what was done on the floor.

maxhog5

The two biggest names in Arkansas High School basketball in my time were Keith Lee and Corlis Williamson although the old timers would tell you, the best they ever saw was Donnie Kessenger.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

maxhog5

As somebody has mentioned, the best women's player was Wendy Scholtens.  No one else even close.  Second would be Amber Nicholas.  Apologies for any misspellings.

jgphillips3

Moncrief in any objective test has to be the best all time.  There are lots of other greats but he is the best player from Arkansas when high school, college and the NBA are factored together.  In fact, he's just one of the best basketball players ever...period.  There may be people with better stats but that's just a factor of the evolution of the game.  I'd take Sid in his prime over anyone else the State ever produced.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Lowdown

Doubt that any female in the state of Arkansas can compare with the record of Gail Buffington. She started on varsity as a ninth grader and led Stephens to 4 state titles. She graduated in 1978 when they still had the overall state championship. By the way, they won that 3 years and was runner-up the other year,losing by 2 pts in the championship game. Name all the females you please, none hold a candle to Gail Buffington.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Lowdown on March 26, 2016, 01:10:58 am
Doubt that any female in the state of Arkansas can compare with the record of Gail Buffington. She started on varsity as a ninth grader and led Stephens to 4 state titles. She graduated in 1978 when they still had the overall state championship. By the way, they won that 3 years and was runner-up the other year,losing by 2 pts in the championship game. Name all the females you please, none hold a candle to Gail Buffington.
Her freshmen year there were still only two classes for girls basketball:  Class A & B.  She was unbelievable in the state tournament at Highland in '75.  Great player.

MountieDawg

Picking payers from different eras is almost impossible. Babe Ruth was the best home run hitter of all time, but was he better than Bonds. The problem comes from the advances in training, fitness and technology. I can't tell you who us better, all the players in the discssion were great high schoolers. Monk can hang his hat on winning the 3 point competition and finishing 2nd in the MdDonalds AA Jam Fest. That scream offensive skills and athletic ability.
SEC!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 29, 2016, 07:03:00 am
Picking payers from different eras is almost impossible. Babe Ruth was the best home run hitter of all time, but was he better than Bonds. The problem comes from the advances in training, fitness and technology. I can't tell you who us better, all the players in the discssion were great high schoolers. Monk can hang his hat on winning the 3 point competition and finishing 2nd in the MdDonalds AA Jam Fest. That scream offensive skills and athletic ability.

The question was best PLAYER...........not best offensive and athletic ability.

labb

As to Lady players,,,Layken Garrison of little school Wickes was pretty good. Second leading scorer in JC one year and went on to play for Ok. St.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2016, 07:10:11 am
The question was best PLAYER...........not best offensive and athletic ability.

Understand, but all the post talk about someone being the best defensive, best offensive but the best players is probably the most subjective of all..  This year in college basketball was Ben Simmons the best player, he is an awful shooter?  But NBA scouts have him going 1 or 2. Does the best coach count his recruiting or not?  Does the best president go on the economy or world peace?  Does the best post on a message board go to the one that makes the most sense or the one that most supports the home team...
SEC!

maxhog5

In keeping up with high school basketball, I go back to about 1979. During that time, there are 4 players that stand out in media coverage in Arkansas.  Keith Lee, Corliss Williamson, Monk and Wendy Scholtens.  Keith Lee was a feeding frenzy.  Have never seen anything like it in Arkansas since.  Corliss was a lot like Monk in how early he appeared on the radar.  You also have to remember that him and Jason Kidd were the consensus number 1 & 2 recruits in the country.  Their King Cotton matchup was probably the biggest high school game in history.   At least one of the Little Rock stations did a feature on him as a ninth grader.  Wendy Scholtens is the only girls player to get the kind of coverage that even remotely approached these guys.

Panthog

I remember as a kid looking up to Lawson Pilgrim. I think he was highly recruited.  It seems I remember some people thought that Chris Bennett was a better player coming out of high school than Moncrief when they both signed with the Razorbacks.