Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My apologies

Started by Mike Irwin, February 05, 2018, 03:19:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Shortly after Mike Anderson's contract extension was announced I read it and it appeared to me (like many of you) that his buyout was $1 million per year for every year left on the contract. However, a senior athletic department staffer indicated to me that it was a flat $1 million no matter how many years were left. Two other media members who cover the basketball team confirmed that they had been told the same thing. So I posted it here and said it on the radio.

Today that athletic department staffer, in an email to another reporter, indicated that the buyout was $1 million per year for the remainder of the contract. I have no idea why there was a mix up but I do apologize for the incorrect information.

To me this makes the firing of Anderson after this season even more unlikely.

I did do some digging after learning I was given incorrect information and was told that one BOT member is saying if push comes to shove he thinks the buyout will be negotiated down to about half of what the contract specifies. Maybe but with all the buyout money the athletic department is on the hook for right now it just seems unlikely to me that Anderson would be shown the door at this time.

Also Yurachek almost certainly approved this extension which would seem to indicate that he has no plans to remove Mike anytime soon. I'm a bit surprised that the BOT signed off on the extension and I will try to find out what their thinking was.

Danny J

IMO...he will not be fired after this season regardless of outcome. Next year is another story.

HF#1

He won't be fired from Arkansas period. He will retire from Arkansas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

So, we are stuck with Mediocre Mike? No wonder he is acting so entitled out there coaching. He has nothing to lose, and thus, no fire to win. Combine that with his incompetent in-game coaching, and you get an underachieving team.

Justifiable Hogicide

That clarification is rather sad news for supporters of Razorback basketball.

batmanfan

Lol at the people running this thing up there.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

rzrbkman

Quote from: HF#1 on February 05, 2018, 03:28:12 pm
He won't be fired from Arkansas period. He will retire from Arkansas.

He can retire at anytime, even after this season.

Atlhogfan1

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-extends-contract-basketball-coach-mike-anderson

Anderson signed the extension last November 22, 2017. Arkansas chancellor Joseph Steinmetz signed off on the new deal a week later. The deal was completed with the signature of school president Donald Bobbitt on Dec. 1, 2017. Once the Board of Trustees met Thursday, they reviewed and approved the deal to be announced publicly.

12/4/2017:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/dec/04/ap-source-arkansas-hires-houstons-yurachek-its-new/

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas has hired Houston athletics director Hunter Yurachek to the same position, the university confirmed Monday.

Timeline still makes no sense.  I don't know how a simple contract extension can't have a straightforward explanation but it is the Arkansas Athletic Department.

So Yurachek approved the extension even though it was done before he was hired - supposedly.  Are we supposed to believe HY would have enough courage in his first two months on the job to tell the university President and BOT he doesn't agree with the extension the President had already signed and for the BOT to not approve it? 

The extension was done because of sell outs even though BWA had not been selling out in the past couple of seasons.

The athletic department itself cannot even get the buyout correctly confirmed.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

My Cousin told me the extension and buyout were made to give Anderson every chance possible to succeed with the classes he has coming in NOW and to reduce any claims of  animosity in the future should that plan not pan out.  The buyout is NOT a problem, the feeling is that Anderson has the program on the brink of the possibility of returning to greatness, or in other words on solid ground.  Many many supporters also recognize that Coach Anderson may not have the ability to coach at that level.  These are the things I have learned.

HammusArkansus

Happens in every profession more often than not - performance trails downward after a person's financial future is assured.  Really want MA to succeed and hope the team will put it together(even though late) like they did last year.  Unfortunately, at this time, it doesn't seem very likely.

Cargill A. BullHog

I hope Coach A stays.  He's a class act who came back to Arkansas to help get us back on the path to repsectability after thant charlatan John Pelphrey and that joke Stanley Heath.  We should be forever grateful to Coach A.  He's just been unlucky here at Arkansas.  But give him 3 or 4 more years and he'll have us back in the top 1/3 of the SEC West and maybe a 5 or 4 seed in the big dance.  WPS
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 05, 2018, 03:59:41 pm
I hope Coach A stays.  He's a class act who came back to Arkansas to help get us back on the path to repsectability after thant charlatan John Pelphrey and that joke Stanley Heath.  We should be forever grateful to Coach A.  He's just been unlucky here at Arkansas.  But give him 3 or 4 more years and he'll have us back in the top 1/3 of the SEC West and maybe a 5 or 4 seed in the big dance.  WPS

I hope Mike stays because he is winning, not because of his past here and his connection to Nolan. If it were not for those things, I honestly do not believe he would have the support he does now.

But, unfortunately, it is probably gonna be a 3 or 4 year wait until we are good again. Such a shame that fans have come to accept that as the standard.

ballinhog

I'm a nobody but I don't think he has the ability to get us to the highest level. He's way too hard headed with forcing his style of ball even if it's not working. I agree that I doubt he will be fired anytime soon, that doesn't mean I don't think he deserves another year after this one. Imo if I was making the call, no tournament this year is automatic, fired. Not only just make the tournament but make some noise when you get there.

This is year 7 and we're on the brink of playing our way right out of this thing. I don't know who the hell we could get that would be better but there is a lot of young coaches out there that if the PTB do their homework on they could find and make a "homerun" hire.

Just like Chad Morris. There's somebody out there. I was a big Will Wade fan last year but LSU beat us to him. There's more tho. I think Matt McCall has a lot of potential, somebody will grab him soon. First thing I would do is offer Gregg Marshall whatever the max is we will pay for a coach and make him say no and go from there

ballinhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 04:06:33 pm
I hope Mike stays because he is winning, not because of his past here and his connection to Nolan. If it were not for those things, I honestly do not believe he would have the support he does now.

But, unfortunately, it is probably gonna be a 3 or 4 year wait until we are good again. Such a shame that fans have come to accept that as the standard.

At least the incoming class fits the style of ball he wants to play a whole lot more than the current roster. We will actually have guards with length and athleticism.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 04:11:37 pm

At least the incoming class fits the style of ball he wants to play a whole lot more than the current roster. We will actually have guards with length and athleticism.

A class ranked somewhere in the twenties are the saviors of the program. If you believe that there's some land by a nuclear power plant I'd love to sell you.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

The_Iceman

Yes, but they will struggle next year to adjust. Then when they are sophomores, we will lose Gafford (if we don't this year). We have no big man recruits on our radar as of now, which is troubling.

And, the SEC is getting stronger. There are a bunch of coaches better than Mike Anderson now. We are getting left behind.

onebadrubi

My guess is Yuracheck didn't have much other choices.  I am sure he was sold that Mike is Arkansas's  baby and who would want to ruffler feathers with both the football and basketball programs in the same year.  That is a very tricky task.

ballinhog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 05, 2018, 04:15:05 pm
A class ranked somewhere in the twenties are the saviors of the program. If you believe that there's some land by a nuclear power plant I'd love to sell you.

I said they were the saviors? Hmmmm, news to me. Read man, read, if you can't actually read what I said and then respond based on what I actually said, then this discussion is over before it even began. If you can, then I'll be more than glad to discuss some good ole Razorback basketball with you.

ballinhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 04:16:13 pm
Yes, but they will struggle next year to adjust. Then when they are sophomores, we will lose Gafford (if we don't this year). We have no big man recruits on our radar as of now, which is troubling.

And, the SEC is getting stronger. There are a bunch of coaches better than Mike Anderson now. We are getting left behind.

As bad as it sucks to come to that realization, I gotta say I can't disagree with you. We will have some nice talent but they will be undercoached just like the current bunch. I really like most of the recruiting class, but the man in charge of them is the same man that is on the verge of finishing his 7th season with only 2 NCAA tournaments to show for it. Where else would that be tolerated? Is there any other remotely respected college basketball program that would keep a coach with the resume at their school that Mike Anderson has here? That's if we don't go dancing again this year

jabberjawls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 03:19:35 pm
Shortly after Mike Anderson's contract extension was announced I read it and it appeared to me (like many of you) that his buyout was $1 million per year for every year left on the contract. However, a senior athletic department staffer indicated to me that it was a flat $1 million no matter how many years were left. Two other media members who cover the basketball team confirmed that they had been told the same thing. So I posted it here and said it on the radio.

Today that athletic department staffer, in an email to another reporter, indicated that the buyout was $1 million per year for the remainder of the contract. I have no idea why there was a mix up but I do apologize for the incorrect information.

I did do some digging after learning I was given incorrect information and was told that one BOT member is saying if push comes to shove he thinks the buyout will be negotiated down to about half of what the contract specifies. Maybe but with all the buyout money the athletic department is on the hook for right now it just seems unlikely to me that Anderson would be shown the door at this time.

Also Yurachek almost certainly approved this extension which would seem to indicate that he has no plans to remove Mike anytime soon. I'm a bit surprised that the BOT signed off on the extension and I will try to find out what their thinking was.
Well our stupid people in charge seem to think they have plenty of money so does it really matter?

HogBreath

Haven't all of Mike's classes supposedly been the real deal right up until the games start?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hawgmasta

I think even if we miss the tournament mike comes back next year. If it's another miss next year that's a different story and I think CMA is the kind of guy who would take a negotiated buyout and retire.

Knot2brite

Some of us have said he will be here until he doesn't want to be
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ballinhog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 05:57:47 pm
Haven't all of Mike's classes supposedly been the real deal right up until the games start?

He has signed some decent classes, some of the problem has been keeping impact guys on campus. If Nick Babb is still on this team right now none of these conversations are being had. A Babb, Barford, Macon backcourt ain't bad at all.

And regardless of what his other classes were supposed to have been, this class combined with Garland (assuming he's cleared) is a pretty decent class.

And the main thing that I keep saying but no one seems to comprehend, is that this class fits what Mike wants to do more than the others. People keep mistaking that as if I'm saying it's the best class ever. This class has length and athleticism, especially if Garland is included. That is a fact

Also seems to me as if some of you think I'm a Mike apologist and I'm not, I'm very disappointed in the job Mike has done here and if we miss the tournament I think it's time for him to go. Just hope the new coach can keep the class together, especially Phillips, Joe, and Chaney. Those are the 3 I'm very high on.

Kevin

being a nice guy does not matter when it comes to building a winning program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogimus Prime

MA is here for atleast another two seasons.  I could see him getting another season if next year's team shows improvement toward the end of the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 03:29:04 pm
So, we are stuck with Mediocre Mike? No wonder he is acting so entitled out there coaching. He has nothing to lose, and thus, no fire to win. Combine that with his incompetent in-game coaching, and you get an underachieving team.

we were stuck with him the day he was hired.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

hired a guy that will not be fired
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

East TN HAWG

I'm on the fence as far as MA.   But the coach to get now is Forbes at ETSU.  He coached under Marshall at WSU.  He is an excellent coach.  Don't think he will be around next year though.   

rljjr

MA is who we thought he was. Don't believe me, believe MA's results. It's an easy google.

Deep Shoat

Do you, by chance, recall who recruited our current players? 
I've been trying to look it up so I'll know who to blame for our stocky, unathletic backcourt players...
All Gas, No Brakes!

HogBreath

I had more or less figured the buyout would turn out to be one million per year.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ballinhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 05, 2018, 07:35:26 pm
I've been trying to look it up so I'll know who to blame for our stocky, unathletic backcourt players...

Good god how many times will I have to do this? For at least the fourth time today alone, I am NOT A MIKE ANDEROSN APOLOGIST!!!! I am not happy with the job he's done here and would not hurt my feelings to see a change made after the season.

And as far as my post, it's just the simple truth as to where things stand now. If you don't realize that then maybe being a basketball fan just isn't your thing. Our backcourt next year will be longer and more athletic. If no change is made then at least we will have players more suited to playing the style CMA insists on playing.

Lord have mercy people

Almost feels like I'm being pranked, there's almost no way folks can misunderstand something this bad, surely it's a prank on me. You know what? I bet it is, sorry for being so defensive. Got to be a prank, it just has to. There's no way

ballinhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 05, 2018, 07:35:26 pm

Ummmm, Mike Anderson? Am I right? Do I win something?

Oliver

I really hope that should we ever hire a basketball or football coach worth keeping, we'd be willing to give these same contract extensions to them.

Breems

Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 09:03:17 pm

Good god how many times will I have to do this? For at least the fourth time today alone, I am NOT A MIKE ANDEROSN APOLOGIST!!!! I am not happy with the job he's done here and would not hurt my feelings to see a change made after the season.

And as far as my post, it's just the simple truth as to where things stand now. If you don't realize that then maybe being a basketball fan just isn't your thing. Our backcourt next year will be longer and more athletic. If no change is made then at least we will have players more suited to playing the style CMA insists on playing.

Lord have mercy people

Almost feels like I'm being pranked, there's almost no way folks can misunderstand something this bad, surely it's a prank on me. You know what? I bet it is, sorry for being so defensive. Got to be a prank, it just has to. There's no way

They seek war but have no enemy. At that point they start settling for Switzerland.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HogBreath

[/quote]
Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 06:50:40 pm
He has signed some decent classes, some of the problem has been keeping impact guys on campus. If Nick Babb is still on this team right now none of these conversations are being had. A Babb, Barford, Macon backcourt ain't bad at all.

And regardless of what his other classes were supposed to have been, this class combined with Garland (assuming he's cleared) is a pretty decent class.

And the main thing that I keep saying but no one seems to comprehend, is that this class fits what Mike wants to do more than the others. People keep mistaking that as if I'm saying it's the best class ever. This class has length and athleticism, especially if Garland is included. That is a fact

Also seems to me as if some of you think I'm a Mike apologist and I'm not, I'm very disappointed in the job Mike has done here and if we miss the tournament I think it's time for him to go. Just hope the new coach can keep the class together, especially Phillips, Joe, and Chaney. Those are the 3 I'm very high on.
Oh, okay, got it now, these other classes were not good fits for Mike's beloved system, but he's finally got one that is.  Sounds like we'll finally be ready to unleash the fast forty  Thanks for clearing that up, and yes, you're right, I'm not real good with that comprehending mumbo jumbo jazz.

I thought at the time these other classes were being recruiting, that I'd heard, ad nauseum, over and over and over, how we'd be crazy to fire Mike with the great class he had lined up, but that was probably just my imagination.

I tell you what we need to do...let's just be patient and give Mike a chance to get his players in here.

hobhog

It's obvious we are a football school at the expense of basketball.

mckinneyhog5

Mike FINALLY in 7 years will have the players that fit his system. Couldn't have come soon enough. Give him another 5 years!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ballinhog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 10:02:15 pm
Oh, okay, got it now, these other classes were not good fits for Mike's beloved system, but he's finally got one that is.  Sounds like we'll finally be ready to unleash the fast forty  Thanks for clearing that up, and yes, you're right, I'm not real good with that comprehending mumbo jumbo jazz.

I thought at the time these other classes were being recruiting, that I'd heard, ad nauseum, over and over and over, how we'd be crazy to fire Mike with the great class he had lined up, but that was probably just my imagination.

I tell you what we need to do...let's just be patient and give Mike a chance to get his players in here.

I quit

HogBreath

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 05, 2018, 10:06:31 pm
Mike FINALLY in 7 years will have the players that fit his system. Couldn't have come soon enough. Give him another 5 years!
Yeah, it sounds like Mike is ready to get serious with this basketball stuff. 

I hear he's now going after players who fit his system.  Smart move right there.

ballinhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 05, 2018, 10:06:31 pm

Been nice if he had recruited to his system 5-6-7 years ago. Maybe he would have been a lot more successful. I could be wrong but I'm guessing you're being sarcastic with my post. If I'm wrong I apologize. I have no idea where some of you people are getting that I'm here defending CMA. I would be as happy and anybody if we're having a coaching search next month. All I've done is point out the future roster as it stands right now and that we finally have some length. And this place has mostly taken that as if I'm saying "hey we have length coming in give Mike some time to get this thing turned around" and I've said nothing close to that. I said we have length coming in the backcourt. If that means all that other stuff, hell maybe I'm the idiot. I'm the common denominator in all this. Maybe it's me

I'm glad he finally got some length, but he's a little late in my book. He's already lost faith in a lot of fans including me.

ballinhog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 10:15:10 pm
Yeah, it sounds like Mike is ready to get serious with this basketball stuff. 

I hear he's now going after players who fit his system.  Smart move right there.

Well aren't you just the witty clever one of the bunch

HogBreath

Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 10:17:54 pm

Well aren't you just the witty clever one of the bunch
Well...technically...NO, I'm not.  I said Mike is going after these players, when the truth is, he already has them all lined up.

ballinhog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 10:27:37 pm
Well...technically...NO, I'm not.  I said Mike is going after these players, when the truth is, he already has them all lined up.

Signing day is over there's no one to go after

HogBreath

Quote from: ballinhog on February 05, 2018, 10:30:31 pm
Signing day is over there's no one to go after
Even too late in the game for Mike to go after his next Doobie Jenkins???

ballinhog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 05, 2018, 10:33:25 pm
Even too late in the game for Mike to go after his next Doobie Jenkins???

I guess if someone leaves that isn't suppose to we will very likely end up with another Jenkins or Gabe. Mike should be banned from recruiting past November.

Jenkins
Gabe
Patsatia
Wagner

That's an all star cast right there

1highhog

Mike, a few other posters are saying that our new AD had nothing to do with the new extension on Mike Anderson's contract, can you confirm whether he did or not?

HognotinMemphis

That is what everyone said regarding firing of Bielema. Not only was Bielema fired, Long was shown the door too. You people do not understand the value of future revenue and earnings over long haul vs a one-time buyout. Anderson's buyout is monopoly money for the RF and/or the U of A. If they want to fire him, it will be done and the buyout will be paid. Just like happened with Bielema and Long.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.