Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 10 days before the opener, players make our goals

Started by younghog, January 14, 2015, 08:59:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

Razorhogs

This quote was great!

"At the end of the game against Texas, we had a run down to the 3-yard line, two minutes on the clock," Bielema said. "I had voices on my headset saying, 'Let's punch it in.' I said, 'No, let's take a knee three times.' Because they can't do a damn thing about it. That's a mindset."

Hoggish1

Excellent find.

Taking a knee in that situation shows a sign of strength and humbles the opponent in a far deeper way than simply getting a meaningless score piled on.  It is total control of the opponent and of ones own baser emotions during a frenzy; a higher state of being in the moment.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 14, 2015, 10:07:53 am
Excellent find.

Taking a knee in that situation shows a sign of strength and humbles the opponent in a far deeper way than simply getting a meaningless score piled on.  It is total control of the opponent and of ones own baser emotions during a frenzy; a higher state of being in the moment.

Yep. "We don't even need to score.  We've already beaten you to a pulp".

gawntrail

Quote from: Razorhogs on January 14, 2015, 09:26:50 am
This quote was great!

"At the end of the game against Texas, we had a run down to the 3-yard line, two minutes on the clock," Bielema said. "I had voices on my headset saying, 'Let's punch it in.' I said, 'No, let's take a knee three times.' Because they can't do a damn thing about it. That's a mindset."

Some accidental insight into the coaching decision made so far.....

Piggfoot

I liked Bielema's decision not to punch it in at the end of the Texas game.
We had nothing to lose by taking a knee. We were there. We had won the game.
There was nothing to gain. Everyone assumed we could have scored if we had wanted. If we had tried to score and didn't, it would have left a down note on a great final season ending game.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

LaDecima

Quote from: gawntrail on January 14, 2015, 10:28:02 am
Some accidental insight into the coaching decision made so far.....

He basically outed himself. Now we know who calls all the plays.

PorkRinds

Hogarusa

Quote from: LaDecima on January 14, 2015, 11:13:54 am

Lolololololol, crazy how people interpret things
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

reddogjcss

I agree there was no need to score! I think it's very classy!
Urban is a prick for scoring at end of NC game. NO CLASS

gawntrail

I don't think he does.  I'm talking about about being on the same page philosophically.  I guarantee that wasn't the first time there was a philosophical difference.  That's why I think the decisions were made quite a while ago. 

CattleCorn

Great find, OP!  If this sort of thing doesn't get you excited about our program, nothing will.   :razorback:

Bkhardicars

Not only did he show class and restraint, it was more humiliating to show them mercy than to have punched it in.

OLDHOG

Quote from: reddogjcss on January 14, 2015, 11:26:23 am
Quote from: reddogjcss on January 14, 2015, 11:26:23 am
A coach like Meyer needs crap like that to prop his ego up. Coach B doesn't. Big difference. 

DukeOfPork

That is not playcalling.  That is a head coach's decision.  Like going for it on 4th down.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Bkhardicars on January 14, 2015, 02:06:06 pm
Not only did he show class and restraint, it was more humiliating to show them mercy than to have punched it in.

This.

RedyorNot

I applaud him for this. I know Bobby Bowden when asked about running scores up replied along the lines of "they need to field better players", but showing class on the field translates to the kids as a lesson in life to be respectful.

hoghevn

Quote from: Bkhardicars on January 14, 2015, 02:06:06 pm

THIS!!

How embarrassing to have an opponent have to show you mercy because they don't want to embarrass you......  Shows you're over their head talent wise and they're not on your level.  Plus it shows you have class & control of your emotions.... ie, very mature.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."