Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How high has the bar been set for our new OC after what Robb Smith did this season?

Started by HogMantheIntruder, January 13, 2015, 05:32:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

I've seen numerous posters say that they expect the same kind of upgrade on offense from our new OC next year as we saw with our defense after the home run hiring of Robb Smith this year.  While that would be absolutely AMAZING, is it realistic?  And what if we actually do see that kind of improvement on the offensive side of the ball?  How far do we go next season?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

reddogjcss

Vantage 8 dude

Every coach should be judged on his own merits/accomplishments. Just because one coordinator did an incredible job his first year doesn't necessarily set the "must reach" standard for another. A lot of factors-talent, injuries (lack thereof), etc.-that go into the performance of a particular group of kids. That being said I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a massive improvement on the offensive side, not that we were that ineffective this past year.

gawntrail

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 13, 2015, 05:40:38 pm
Every coach should be judged on his own merits/accomplishments. Just because one coordinator did an incredible job his first year doesn't necessarily set the "must reach" standard for another. A lot of factors-talent, injuries (lack thereof), etc.-that go into the performance of a particular group of kids. That being said I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a massive improvement on the offensive side, not that we were that ineffective this past year.

How many points per game for victory...27? 35?  Whatever that total, that's the expectation.  And, I disagree.  We were pretty ineffective this year. 

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 05:50:30 pm
How many points per game for victory...27? 35?  Whatever that total, that's the expectation.  And, I disagree.  We were pretty ineffective this year.
So you're saying that you disagree that a coach, any coach including an OC, should be judged on the merit of his own accomplishments, not those of another coordinator? I'm not sitting in judgement of Chaney, Smith or anyone else. I'm saying you set the standard to be as effective as the HC believes you need to be to get the job done within the system. The last time I looked all the coaches on the Hill are part of the same Razorback "brain trust". Pitting one's accomplishments against another isn't necessarily the most effective means of determining success or the lack thereof. For an offense it's TOP, points scored, red zone success, yards passing and running, etc. The defense is obviously judged pretty much the opposite.

jackflash

I think expect a big jump on the Offensive side of the ball. We have future NFL players here Hunter, Kirkland, Skipper, Williams and Collins just to name a few and they we be a year older and better.  But it will not be just on the OC if we have replace the RB and WR coach these will have to great hires also.

gawntrail

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 13, 2015, 06:01:38 pm
So you're saying that you disagree that a coach, any coach including an OC, should be judged on the merit of his own accomplishments, not those of another coordinator? I'm not sitting in judgement of Chaney, Smith or anyone else. I'm saying you set the standard to be as effective as the HC believes you need to be to get the job done within the system. The last time I looked all the coaches on the Hill are part of the same Razorback "brain trust". Pitting one's accomplishments against another isn't necessarily the most effective means of determining success or the lack thereof. For an offense it's TOP, points scored, red zone success, yards passing and running, etc. The defense is obviously judged pretty much the opposite.

I'm saying that there is a point total that wins SEC games.  That is the expectation. 

I also disagreed with your statement, "not that we were that ineffective this past year".  We were ineffective on offense.

An OC should be evaluated on multiple metrics.  And, I think scoring enough points to have a chance to win, more times than not, is as good a starting place as any.

HogMantheIntruder

I definitely think we under-achieved this year on offense.  As it has been pointed out, we have quite a few future NFL players on that side of the ball, and we lost four games in which our defense did more than enough for us to win.  When you have a top 10 defense, and you finish with 6 losses, something's not right with the offense, IMHO. 

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

SquidBilly

Smith's performance this season isn't what set the bar high as you can't compare an OC to a DC.  However with Smith having the defense playing so well there is no excuse for the next OC to not come in and run an aggressive offensive scheme.  The defense is capable of bailing the offense out somewhat now so they can take a few more chances.

SwineGrind

I am simply seeking what coach B promised...an offense that is "bigger and brighter"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 13, 2015, 05:32:58 pm
I've seen numerous posters say that they expect the same kind of upgrade on offense from our new OC next year as we saw with our defense after the home run hiring of Robb Smith this year.  While that would be absolutely AMAZING, is it realistic?  And what if we actually do see that kind of improvement on the offensive side of the ball?  How far do we go next season?

I wouldn't expect as big of an improvement as we saw on defense. The defense had further to go to improve than the offense does.

Add 50-75 more yards and 7-10 more points on average per game, provided the defense performs as they did this year, and I think that everyone would be really pleased with that improvement and the results that it would provide. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

popcornhog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 13, 2015, 05:32:58 pm

We don't even know who it's going to be.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 06:21:04 pm
I'm saying that there is a point total that wins SEC games.  That is the expectation. 

I also disagreed with your statement, "not that we were that ineffective this past year".  We were ineffective on offense.

An OC should be evaluated on multiple metrics.  And, I think scoring enough points to have a chance to win, more times than not, is as good a starting place as any.

Frankly if our defense pitches 12 shutouts and we go 12-0, winning every game 3-0, the OC didn't do his job.

Similarly, if the D gives up 70 per game and we lose every game 70-63, the OC would get an A+ at his job but the D would be the failure.
WPS

immahog

very high our fans are nuts and we are greedy .....rob smith feed the beast that is arkansas lol.

The new OC is walking in on a hell of a deal....B.A will be a 3 yr starter 2 0f the best RB in the nation 4 out of 5 back on the Oline with a oline coach who is the best in the nation a top TE an new toys to play with in R williams k.j hill gragg o'grady stewart and pettway.....whew I'M WEADY TO WOLL WIGHT NOW BO!!!
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hoggish1

If Defense wins championships, the new OC will have to understand that concept.

We are playing football not to have the highest scoring O but to run the ball with authority while passing efficiently when the opportunity presents itself.

The new OC will have to understand that goal completely and be capable of meeting that goal, to be hired.

Hoggish1

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 05:50:30 pm

It's not how many pts you average per game but how you get to a high pts total.  A ball control O that gets the max pts is the goal.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 13, 2015, 06:01:38 pm
For an offense it's TOP, points scored, red zone success, yards passing and running, etc. The defense is obviously judged pretty much the opposite.

Agreed! These have to be the goals, especially for a philosophy like CBB's Arkansas.

This is not fantasy football.

Smokehouse

Offense doesn't have near the improvement to make as the defense did. Make sure there's not as big a drop off in the run game during SEC play, have Allen show similar improvement as he did this season, stop stalling in the 4th. O-line consistency and an improved WR corp should make that easily obtainable.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Win a game where you are down in the 4th qtr and just need 7pts or less. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

passinghog

Should be a substantial improvement just based on the experienced personnel we have returning on offense.

Großer Kriegschwein

I look for the Hogs to go in to spring ball motivated at a reinvigorated scheme, some new plays. Sometimes a little bit of a fresh look is what you need. Maybe thats some of what will kick start this offense in to high gear.
This is my non-signature signature.