Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New name surfaces for OC and/or QB coach spot...

Started by Bad News Boar, January 13, 2015, 03:27:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad News Boar

Chris Weinke. Coaching at IMG Academy in Florida. His name may sound familiar for a few reasons. First, played QB for Florida State in the late 90's. He is also the person that Brandon Allen went to work with this past summer on his mechanics and throwing motion. He would solve the Florida recruiting "wants" as he is well connected and respected within the state. All this from dudley
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogeration

I am gonna get killed by the "i before e" police. Beilema and Weinke?  Hope I got those right.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 13, 2015, 03:28:27 pm
Has he served as and OC before?

Not in college or NFL

I would be ecstatic to have him as our QB coach and be down on the sidelines during the game.  However i would be very uncomfortable with him building our game plans during the week and calling the plays on saturdays

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Bad News Boar on January 13, 2015, 03:27:18 pm
Chris Weinke. Coaching at IMG Academy in Florida. His name may sound familiar for a few reasons. First, played QB for Florida State in the late 90's. He is also the person that Brandon Allen went to work with this past summer on his mechanics and throwing motion. He would solve the Florida recruiting "wants" as he is well connected and respected within the state. All this from dudley

I think he would be an excellent QB coach but does he have prior OC experience?  I don't think he does so doubt he is in the running..  I bet CBB hires a OC who has prior experience at a high level. 

ricepig

Quote from: Hogeration on January 13, 2015, 03:29:12 pm
I am gonna get killed by the "i before e" police. Beilema and Weinke?  Hope I got those right.

Wrong, haha. Bielema....

FraggleHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 13, 2015, 03:28:27 pm
Has he served as and OC before?

I second this. Yes, the name recognition, but this might be more of an "experiment" hire (which I don't think is the right move for the Hogs at this time). Also, what kind of offense would he be implementing? I believe that he ran the "fun n' gun" at UF
Calling the Hogs from DFW

ldfergu

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2015, 03:29:59 pm
Not in college or NFL

I would be ecstatic to have him as our QB coach and be down on the sidelines during the game.  However i would be very uncomfortable with him building our game plans during the week and calling the plays on saturdays

This right hurr

The_Bionic_Pig

Someone threw out his name as a potential. QB coach a few day's back.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CabotHog87

kibster

Quote from: CabotHog87 on January 13, 2015, 03:46:02 pm
Totally fine with it as a QB coach

If only a QB coach, absolutely. As an OC, no thanks.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

ThisTeetsTaken

If he can deliver the Jimmies and the Joes, does he really need the X's and the O's?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Fayettechill14

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 13, 2015, 03:50:25 pm
If he can deliver the Jimmies and the Joes, does he really need the X's and the O's?

Um, yes.

Hoggish1

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 13, 2015, 03:30:55 pm
I second this. Yes, the name recognition, but this might be more of an "experiment" hire (which I don't think is the right move for the Hogs at this time). Also, what kind of offense would he be implementing? I believe that he ran the "fun n' gun" at UF

Heisman QB @ FSU

Dropkick

He went to FSU.......................

H1, you got me by 5 seconds, savor the flavor..........

The_Iceman

Recruiting: Check!

QB Coach: Check!

Play Caller: NO EXPERIENCE!

Play calling is my only issue with this name. If he was brought in as a QB Coach and hired an OC to maybe coach WR's or RB's, that might work.

Qadi999

Hogarusa

Not a new name if you read the 11 page OC short list
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Qadi999

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 03:54:10 pm
Recruiting: Check!

QB Coach: Check!

Play Caller: NO EXPERIENCE!

Play calling is my only issue with this name. If he was brought in as a QB Coach and hired an OC to maybe coach WR's or RB's, that might work.
hes the head coach for IMG so he has some exp calling plays.

Bad News Boar

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 13, 2015, 03:57:52 pm
Not a new name if you read the 11 page OC short list

Gave up on that thread on page 5.
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Qadi999 on January 13, 2015, 04:02:16 pm
hes the head coach for IMG so he has some exp calling plays.

Exactly..No different than CFB and HDN hiring the Gus bus....

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorpigg on January 13, 2015, 04:11:38 pm
Exactly..No different than CFB and HDN hiring the Gus bus....

Except Gus had a long history of being a head coach and calling plays. Weinke is more known for his QB development. Which is why he may be best suited to be the QB coach, with the long term outlook of taking over as OC if the OC were to move on.

Wildhog

Probably going to take some sort of title in addition to QB coach to get him to leave IMG.  It's not like teams haven't tried luring him away just to be QB coach.

Maybe make him Co-OC/QB coach and give playcalling duties to someone else.

Would love to have him on staff, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2015, 04:15:37 pm
Probably going to take some sort of title in addition to QB coach to get him to leave IMG.  It's not like teams haven't tried luring him away just to be QB coach.

Maybe make him Co-OC/QB coach and give playcalling duties to someone else.

Would love to have him on staff, though.

Passing game coordinator??

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 03:30:06 pm
I bet CBB hires a OC who has prior experience at a high level.

Ditto. This ain't an entry-level job............

wildhogman

He played for FSU and I believe they ran a pro style offense at that time

colbs

I would love to have him as Co-OC and QB coach along with Warner or Napier as Co-OC and WR coach.  Then let Warner or Napier call the plays.

The_Iceman

Quote from: colbs on January 13, 2015, 04:20:41 pm
I would love to have him as Co-OC and QB coach along with Warner or Napier as Co-OC and WR coach.  Then let Warner or Napier call the plays.

I don't like having Co-OC's. I want one person in charge of calling plays. Could lead to too many cooks in the kitchen type situation.

woodrow hog call

Play calling is not rocket surgery, everybody started somewhere, nobody would have his tendencies scouted out and have a good idea what go expect.

On a related note, I wonder if play calling caused a rift between CBB and JC.
At least one time CBB made comments about getting too cute, on offense, after some gadget play backfired. Saying that to a sideline reporter, makes you wonder what he said in private to JC.
On the radio today they were saying there is talk of a rift, I kind of think it could have been of that nature.

So you get a young OC, let him know what you expect, and draw red circles around some plays with the slash through them, just so he knows what you don't want called.
Could keep things more in line with the head coaches expectations.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 04:28:12 pm
I don't like having Co-OC's. I want one person in charge of calling plays. Could lead to too many cooks in the kitchen type situation.

Well, one guy would be designated to call the plays.  We're talking about using titles to lure a particular coach and justify paying him more money than just as a position coach.  Weinke would be an extremely valuable asset, but I don't want him calling plays, either.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FraggleHog

Quote from: wildhogman on January 13, 2015, 04:19:31 pm
He played for FSU and I believe they ran a pro style offense at that time
Quote from: Dropkick on January 13, 2015, 03:52:32 pm
He went to FSU.......................

H1, you got me by 5 seconds, savor the flavor..........
Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2015, 03:52:27 pm
Heisman QB @ FSU

Man it has been a long day. Fail on my part.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Kevin

bring him on, whatever job. don't think play calling in the cbb system is that hard.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pigture perfect

Quote from: woodrow hog call on January 13, 2015, 04:34:16 pm
Play calling is not rocket surgery, everybody started somewhere, nobody would have his tendencies scouted out and have a good idea what go expect.

On a related note, I wonder if play calling caused a rift between CBB and JC.
At least one time CBB made comments about getting too cute, on offense, after some gadget play backfired. Saying that to a sideline reporter, makes you wonder what he said in private to JC.
On the radio today they were saying there is talk of a rift, I kind of think it could have been of that nature.

So you get a young OC, let him know what you expect, and draw red circles around some plays with the slash through them, just so he knows what you don't want called.
Could keep things more in line with the head coaches expectations.
You lost me at Rocket Surgery......
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jamie Jones

CW would be an excellent hire. Dude knows football. I can just imagine him working with Rafe and Ty, moving forward. We would get whatever qb we wanted each recruiting season. Play calling is only overrated when the players don't execute the plays. Bring him on.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

woodrow hog call

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 13, 2015, 04:46:36 pm
You lost me at Rocket Surgery......

Sorry, should have put quotation marks on it, don't remember who was using it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

yankeefaninHOGland

Quote from: colbs on January 13, 2015, 04:20:41 pm

^ THIS but I would have Napier calling plays and Weinke as QB Coach.

I think that would be a massive upgrade over CJC & CMS

Wildhog

Quote from: yankeefaninHOGland on January 13, 2015, 04:50:25 pm
^ THIS but I would have Napier calling plays and Weinke as QB Coach.

I think that would be a massive upgrade over CJC & CMS

I'd much rather have Warner calling plays than Napier.  But if you get Warner, there's no need for Weinke.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dwight_K_Shrute

It would definitely be an out of the box hire.  I have no opinion either way on his play calling experience.  Need preparation, brains, and a cool head under pressure as much as anything.

Could pay long term benefits while he learns on the job.  Could definitely attract some high profile QB recruits and more importantly develop them.  I'd be all for it except......

He would probably only need 1 to 2 good years here and colleges would be after him as an HC and pros as an OC.  So then does the reward balance out the risk.

Kudos to BB if he is seriously considering the guy. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogeration on January 13, 2015, 03:29:12 pm

Put a "C" before their name as in "coach" and you don't have to worry about it...................I think.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

wildhogman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 13, 2015, 05:00:44 pm
It would definitely be an out of the box hire.  I have no opinion either way on his play calling experience.  Need preparation, brains, and a cool head under pressure as much as anything.

Could pay long term benefits while he learns on the job.  Could definitely attract some high profile QB recruits and more importantly develop them.  I'd be all for it except......

He would probably only need 1 to 2 good years here and colleges would be after him as an HC and pros as an OC.  So then does the reward balance out the risk.

Kudos to BB if he is seriously considering the guy. 
I see that as a good problem.  How many assistans did broyles have that went on to bigger things?  I see it as a sign of progress and great things on the hill

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2015, 04:53:17 pm
I'd much rather have Warner calling plays than Napier.  But if you get Warner, there's no need for Weinke.

Kurt Warner would be good at it.............................and he was born in Iowa....................Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

online-with-swine

texas tush hog

Inhogswetrust

texas tush hog

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Lake City Hog

With BB and Pitmann on staff already this would be a perfect place for a "new" OC to learn on the job. Plus we now have a "consultant" breaking down teams 2 or 3 weeks in advance. Weinke could learn BB's offensive philosophy without any previous experience to get in the way.

I would think that his playing cred and stature in Florida would be huge when it comes to recruiting.

davispard