Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dropping the ball 1 mm inside the end zone

Started by EastexHawg, January 13, 2015, 02:14:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

carolinahogger

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2015, 09:58:09 am
Not sure how old you are East, but I will be 45 next month. It is just a different mindset now than when we were 16-22. My basketball coach told us the 1st day of my soph year, if you get one technical, you will sit a week, 2 and you are done. In my 3 years of varsity ball, no player got a T. Now, as a ref, I have 5th and 6th graders throwing their hands up, questioning calls. 7th and 8th graders that think it is okay to show up an official. When they do it, I don't T them up, I T up the coach, because he should be teaching them not to do that stuff.

I am older than you.  My thought when I read East's post is that this is a generational thing.  When I played HS basketball it was unheard of for a player to get a technical foul for questioning an official.  I don't think I EVER saw that happen.

thirrdegreetusker

Back in the 80s, the Razorback's own Bobby Duckworth was playing WR for the San Diego Chargers. heading for a score after a long catch, he raised both arms over his head, like a ref's TD signal, and when his hands got all the way up, he let the ball drop. Problem was, he was on the five-yard-line.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 10:08:41 am
So, you can't think of one huh?  Bringing up something completely different and using a one time scenario to endorse a hard and fast rule you've proposed doesn't actually make your point.  Again, name a coach that has the rule.

At what point did I say there are or aren't coaches with the rule?  That's your point, not mine.  All I said was "if I was a coach", so your "gotcha" is nothing more than a victory you invented in your own mind. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2015, 03:07:03 pm
At what point did I say there are or aren't coaches with the rule?  That's your point, not mine.  All I said was "if I was a coach", so your "gotcha" is nothing more than a victory you invented in your own mind.

My point was that your rule is pointless, and there's a reason no coaches have the rule.  Because it's overly harsh, and ridiculous.  That is proven by the fact that absolutely zero successful coaches have it.  If it were a great idea, it would be in place somewhere.   It's a horrible idea.