Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dropping the ball 1 mm inside the end zone

Started by EastexHawg, January 13, 2015, 02:14:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

It almost cost Oregon a TD last night.  It did cost the Eagles a TD a couple of years ago when DeSean Jackson did it.  It has cost other teams as well.

If I were a coach I would tell my entire team before the season..."If you score a touchdown and don't either run the ball all the way to the back of the nd zone OR hand it to the official, I'm going to cut you from the team."

It's just one more of the stupid, selfish "look at me" acts that have become so prevalent in football in recent years.  No player has the right to cost his team a TD because scoring it the old fashioned way isn't good enough for him.

bigdaddyhawg

Hey, you need to get with the times, my man.

It's so much cooler if you drop the ball OUTSIDE the end zone!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 02:14:51 pm
It almost cost Oregon a TD last night.  It did cost the Eagles a TD a couple of years ago when DeSean Jackson did it.  It has cost other teams as well.

If I were a coach I would tell my entire team before the season..."If you score a touchdown and don't either run the ball all the way to the back of the nd zone OR hand it to the official, I'm going to cut you from the team."

It's just one more of the stupid, selfish "look at me" acts that have become so prevalent in football in recent years.  No player has the right to cost his team a TD because scoring it the old fashioned way isn't good enough for him.

Any coach that would threaten to cut someone from the team for one mistake like that is likely not going to be a head coach of a little league team, much less NFL or college.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 02:20:31 pm
Any coach that would threaten to cut someone from the team for one mistake like that is likely not going to be a head coach of a little league team, much less NFL or college.

I bet they make all kinds of threats they have no intension of actually doing. I thought the osu receiver that jumped up to signal his own first down and nearly hit the ref should have been flagged, but I guess its a sign of the times.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Jek Tono Porkins

One option is to deal with is like Mark Mangino...

WARNING: INORDINATELY STRONG LANGUAGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpAzNB34
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 13, 2015, 02:25:15 pm
I bet they make all kinds of threats they have no intension of actually doing. I thought the osu receiver that jumped up to signal his own first down and nearly hit the ref should have been flagged, but I guess its a sign of the times.

Coaches, like parents, shouldn't make threats they don't intend to follow through on.  It leaves you looking weak, and like you don't keep your word.  JMO of course. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 02:30:48 pm
Coaches, like parents, shouldn't make threats they don't intend to follow through on.  It leaves you looking weak, and like you don't keep your word.  JMO of course. 

Exactly.

Just suspend the guy for one game, and be consistent about it, and you'll not see the problem again.

But the same philosophy goes for taunting or too much celebration.

It's about playing smart, disciplined football.  But Oregon is about self-promotion more than anything else.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

EastexHawg

I wouldn't have any intention of backing down.  Guys that stupid and selfish are going to end up killing a football team down the road if you keep them around. 

What, exactly, is the purpose and advantage of trying to drop the ball within one inch of crossing the goal line?   Do you think his teammates and coaches were thinking, "Well, that's just Jermaine (or whatever the heck his name is) being Jermaine" while the replay booth was reviewing it?

carolinahogger

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 13, 2015, 02:30:06 pm
One option is to deal with is like Mark Mangino...

WARNING: INORDINATELY STRONG LANGUAGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpAzNB34

Mangino got straight to the point, clearly stated his opinion.  I have no problem with it.

TrueBlue

hogsanity

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 13, 2015, 02:25:15 pm

Reminds me of a youth game I was at a couple years ago. 1st game of the year and my son was there watching a couple of his friends play, so we sat right behind their bench. I heard the coach say " and if any of you get a penalty for making fun of the other team or taunting or showing off, I am going to send you to the stands for the rest of the game!". Apparently it was a point of emphasis after some problems the previous year. Anyway, 2nd play of the game, one of his players breaks off a bout a 70 yard run ( this was 5th/6th grade ) and proceeds to do the head bobbing thing right in the face of a defender who had been chasing him, and he got flagged. I knew before he even got to the sideline there was no way the coach was going to send THAT particular player to the stands, and of course the coach just said to this kid " dont let it happen again ".

Before the season was over, the kid had gotten kicked out of the league for repeated unsportsmanlike behavior. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 02:53:58 pm
I wouldn't have any intention of backing down.  Guys that stupid and selfish are going to end up killing a football team down the road if you keep them around. 

What, exactly, is the purpose and advantage of trying to drop the ball within one inch of crossing the goal line?   Do you think his teammates and coaches were thinking, "Well, that's just Jermaine (or whatever the heck his name is) being Jermaine" while the replay booth was reviewing it?

So you're claiming if JWill did that next season, CBB would be justified in kicking him off the team? First offense?  Yeah, like I said.  It's no wonder you aren't a high level football coach. He likely wasn't trying to drop the ball within an inch of the goal line.  He was probably really excited and made a mistake that he won't make again.  Lesson learned.  No need to remove him from the team.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 02:53:58 pm

showing off, plain and simple. but hey its just part of the "culture".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Not just recent years.  The Canes of the 80s.  Some NFL players were doing it as well but they are grown men who face equals who can make them pay for it. 

It is a cultural thing for the most part that can't be discussed in the very p.c. environment. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 03:06:04 pm
showing off, plain and simple. but hey its just part of the "culture".

At Oregon it surely is.  At Arkansas, not so much I don't think.

WooPig90

You would think they would know better after it happened against them this year already!

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 03:03:22 pm
  He was probably really excited and made a mistake that he won't make again.  Lesson learned. 

If I'm not mistaken shortly after DeSean Jackson did it against Dallas video surfaced of him doing something even dumber...I think he may have actually tried to do a cartwheel into the end zone...and losing the ball and a TD in either high school or college.

Leon Lett showboated toward the end zone and cost his team...not just him, but his team...the Super Bowl scoring record against the Bills.  The very next season, despite everyone else on the field knowing to leave the ball alone and some of his teammates actually waving their arms and screaming for him to stay away from it...he tried to dive on a blocked field goal against the Dolphins and cost his team a game.  If Emmitt Smith hadn't played one of the great games of the last 30 years in the Meadowlands...with a separated shoulder...to beat the Giants a couple of weeks later that stupid play by Lett would have cost Dallas the NFC East championship and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Stupid and selfish players will cost you if you keep them around long enough, and their transgressions aren't always "mistakes".  A mistake is getting dressed in the dark and putting on one black and one blue sock.  Showboating before securing a touchdown is a decision.

PharmacistHog

Yeah, yeah, there's a LOT of things people should or shouldn't say, but doesn't seem to stop them.  I wasn't saying I approved of it, just telling you like how it really is.  If you don't think coaches don't threaten punishment to kids and not follow through, I've got a bridge to sell you.  And I'll let you in on another ugly secret, some of the higher profile/talented players get preferential treatment. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hoggish1

Quote from: carolinahogger on January 13, 2015, 02:56:56 pm
Mangino got straight to the point, clearly stated his opinion.

LMAO...  It could be heard over the din of the crowd! Classic old school coach's response...

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 13, 2015, 04:37:43 pm
Yeah, yeah, there's a LOT of things people should or shouldn't say, but doesn't seem to stop them.  I wasn't saying I approved of it, just telling you like how it really is.  If you don't think coaches don't threaten punishment to kids and not follow through, I've got a bridge to sell you.  And I'll let you in on another ugly secret, some of the higher profile/talented players get preferential treatment.

No doubt that's all true.

EastexHawg

Quote from: carolinahogger on January 13, 2015, 02:56:56 pm
Mangino got straight to the point, clearly stated his opinion.  I have no problem with it.

I agree with every word he said...and the way he said it.  I can't stomach that kind of stupid, selfish stuff.  There's no room for it on a team.  If you want to show off and risk incurring penalties that cost points and possible victories, play an individual sport.

Hoggish1

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 03:03:22 pm
So you're claiming if JWill did that next season, CBB would be justified in kicking him off the team?

Thankfully JWill didn't decide to come back for his senior year so he could get his chance to hurt the team, like that. 

I remember what came down from CBB after Collins tried the Lambeau leap after his first college TB....

woodrow hog call

I agree with the OP, I was actually hoping they would take the TD away just because I hate that stuff.
Chris Ledoux had a song about an old cowboy preacher that carried a gun
"He only had to shoot a few to save a whole lot more" my favorite line in the song.
Sometimes you have to make an example out of one for the benefit of the rest.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 03:59:55 pm
If I'm not mistaken shortly after DeSean Jackson did it against Dallas video surfaced of him doing something even dumber...I think he may have actually tried to do a cartwheel into the end zone...and losing the ball and a TD in either high school or college.

High school all star game

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2015, 04:55:51 pm
Thankfully JWill didn't decide to come back for his senior year so he could get his chance to hurt the team, like that. 

I remember what came down from CBB after Collins tried the Lambeau leap after his first college TB....

So if he did, you'd lead the charge to kick him off the team?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 13, 2015, 02:58:08 pm
Like this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdbtLEFbuew

This was the perfect example. I posted this right after it happened this year.

A couple people took the stance of "maybe YOU didn't you do anything stupid when you were in college."

My reply...YES, a lot of stupid things, staying out too late, chasing tail I had no business with, and so on. But I wasn't trusted with a 200-thousand dollar education, and wasn't asked to remember that you actually have to cross the goal line WITH the ball in order to get points.

I'm sorry all you apologists, that's not too much to ask.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 03:06:53 pm
It is a cultural thing for the most part that can't be discussed in the very p.c. environment.
It's not very p.c. to talk about a p.c. environment like that.  Just sayin' :puke:
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Break & Run

As Dez Bryant about doing that. 😂😂😂😂
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Breems

Alex Collins did the exact same thing this year and it had to be reviewed, although I can't remember who it was against. Texas Tech? Mississippi State?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 02:15:53 pm
Hey, you need to get with the times, my man.

It's so much cooler if you drop the ball OUTSIDE the end zone!

I wish all of our opponents were "THAT" cool...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2015, 12:44:55 am
Alex Collins did the exact same thing this year and it had to be reviewed, although I can't remember who it was against. Texas Tech? Mississippi State?

WRONG. He did not drop the ball early, It was on his long run against TT and he slowed up a little early and a defender poked the ball out just after AC crossed the goal line. After that, anytime AC or anyone else got close, they finished through the EZ and handed the ball to the closest official.

PorkRinds

I'm all for holding players accountable for mistakes like this.  But kicking them off the team is just dumb.  Honestly, if that was a coach's policy, it would likely hurt recruiting and limit what kids would come to play for him knowing if they make a mistake like that their life would be turned upside down.  It's just over the top.  Sit them a half, or a game, and make them do some extra workouts?  Sure, that's reasonable.  Kick them off the team?  Dumb as a sack of rocks.

31to6

Set the ball on the ground or hand it to a ref.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 08:40:28 am
I'm all for holding players accountable for mistakes like this.  But kicking them off the team is just dumb.  Honestly, if that was a coach's policy, it would likely hurt recruiting and limit what kids would come to play for him knowing if they make a mistake like that their life would be turned upside down.  It's just over the top.  Sit them a half, or a game, and make them do some extra workouts?  Sure, that's reasonable.  Kick them off the team?  Dumb as a sack of rocks.

Did I say "any mistake"?  No, I specifically said I would sit the entire team down before the season and, while going over expectations and team rules, tell them that *specifically* throwing the ball down before crossing the goal line because you are showboating, or incurring a penalty on the way to the end zone because you're such a stupid, selfish turd that you can't even bring yourself to run for five seconds without stopping to taunt someone, will absolutely not be tolerated.

If you have ONE RULE that you know will get you tossed, and if it was communicated and stressed to you before the season started...and yet you choose to do it anyway...I don't want you on my team.  You're too stupid, selfish, and uncoachable for me to take a chance on you.  The odds of you doing something self-centered and idiotic that costs the team a score, a game, or even a championship are too high to make keeping you around worthwhile.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2015, 09:25:39 am
Did I say "any mistake"?  No, I specifically said I would sit the entire team down before the season and, while going over expectations and team rules, tell them that *specifically* throwing the ball down before crossing the goal line because you are showboating, or incurring a penalty on the way to the end zone because you're such a stupid, selfish turd that you can't even bring yourself to run for five seconds without stopping to taunt someone, will absolutely not be tolerated.

If you have ONE RULE that you know will get you tossed, and if it was communicated and stressed to you before the season started...and yet you choose to do it anyway...I don't want you on my team.  You're too stupid, selfish, and uncoachable for me to take a chance on you.  The odds of you doing something self-centered and idiotic that costs the team a score, a game, or even a championship are too high to make keeping you around worthwhile.

There's a reason why everyone isn't a successful head coach.  And there's a reason why there's not a successful head coach that has this hard and fast rule that you're talking about. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 09:28:50 am
There's a reason why everyone isn't a successful head coach.  And there's a reason why there's not a successful head coach that has this hard and fast rule that you're talking about.

"I didn't sign with coach because I heard he don't let his players throw the ball down when they runnin' for a TD, and I heard he kicked Brandon off the team because he did a swan dive into the end zone when no one was within 20 yards of him after Coach told him if he did it he be gone.  Just 'cause the penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct caused them to lose the game and the conference championship...

That's why I'm takin' my talents to State, where the players can do whatever they want to express themselves."

You're right, every championship team needs a roster full of guys with that mindset.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2015, 09:34:47 am
"I didn't sign with coach because I heard he don't let his players throw the ball down when they runnin' for a TD, and I heard he kicked Brandon off the team because he did a swan dive into the end zone when no one was within 20 yards of him after Coach told him if he did it he be gone.  Just 'cause the penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct caused them to lose the game and the conference championship...

That's why I'm takin' my talents to State, where the players can do whatever they want to express themselves."

You're right, every championship team needs a roster full of guys with that mindset.

C'mon champ.  List me a high level coach that has this rule.  When you run out of names, then maybe you'll realize why it's not a great idea.  If Amari Cooper did that this season with Bama, you really think it's a great idea for Saban to toss his best player?  If Jameis did it, you think Jimbo should toss him?  If Cordale Boyd did it, you think O$U should boot their only QB left? You don't set rules like that because it could destroy your team if you had to follow through. 

EastexHawg

Jimmy Johnson cut the running back from Pitt...I can't remember his name right now, Curvin something I think...for fumbling in a meaningless final game of the season when he was resting his starters.  In fact, he cut him on the airplane before the team got back to DFW.  He was setting an example.

I don't recall that destroying the team and I think he did okay with the Cowboys.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2015, 09:50:42 am
Jimmy Johnson cut the running back from Pitt...I can't remember his name right now, Curvin something I think...for fumbling in a meaningless final game of the season when he was resting his starters.  In fact, he cut him on the airplane before the team got back to DFW.  He was setting an example.

I don't recall that destroying the team and I think he did okay with the Cowboys.

Not sure how old you are East, but I will be 45 next month. It is just a different mindset now than when we were 16-22. My basketball coach told us the 1st day of my soph year, if you get one technical, you will sit a week, 2 and you are done. In my 3 years of varsity ball, no player got a T. Now, as a ref, I have 5th and 6th graders throwing their hands up, questioning calls. 7th and 8th graders that think it is okay to show up an official. When they do it, I don't T them up, I T up the coach, because he should be teaching them not to do that stuff.

Jackrabbit Hog

"Honey Badger" did the same thing on a TD punt return in the SEC championship game a few years ago.  Play was reviewed, TD upheld but he definitely dropped the ball somewhere between the 1 and the goal.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2015, 09:50:42 am

So, you can't think of one huh?  Bringing up something completely different and using a one time scenario to endorse a hard and fast rule you've proposed doesn't actually make your point.  Again, name a coach that has the rule.  And when you can't find one, think about why they don't.  We can talk all day long about coaches making an example of someone, but that doesn't mean they had a specific rule that if you showboated and it backfired, you'd be kicked off the team. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2015, 09:58:09 am
Not sure how old you are East, but I will be 45 next month. It is just a different mindset now than when we were 16-22. My basketball coach told us the 1st day of my soph year, if you get one technical, you will sit a week, 2 and you are done. In my 3 years of varsity ball, no player got a T. Now, as a ref, I have 5th and 6th graders throwing their hands up, questioning calls. 7th and 8th graders that think it is okay to show up an official. When they do it, I don't T them up, I T up the coach, because he should be teaching them not to do that stuff.

I'm with you on that.  It's not acceptable.  I'm just arguing against his pointless "rule".

latrops

I wouldn't even call it a "selfish, look at me" act.  It isn't really even noticed except on replay.  Dropping the ball isn't an attention grabber UNLESS you do it too early, in which case you look like a complete moron.  I honestly have no idea why players are doing this.  They gain nothing while risking quite a bit.

PorkRinds

Quote from: latrops on January 14, 2015, 10:14:30 am
I wouldn't even call it a "selfish, look at me" act.  It isn't really even noticed except on replay.  Dropping the ball isn't an attention grabber UNLESS you do it too early, in which case you look like a complete moron.  I honestly have no idea why players are doing this.  They gain nothing while risking quite a bit.

They just get all worked up in the heat of the moment and don't pay attention to where they are.  I'm with you, I don't think it's really a "look at me, I can drop the ball on the goal line" thing.  They just make a stupid mistake.  I do think that a lot of times they are hyped up and start celebrating too early, which is why they drop the ball.  That could be seen as a "look at me" type thing for sure. 

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on January 14, 2015, 10:14:30 am

They have to drop the ball so they can gesture with their hands, pointing to the crowd, flexing, flapping like a bird.  It is all part of " look at me ".

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 10:09:40 am
I'm with you on that.  It's not acceptable.  I'm just arguing against his pointless "rule".

A rule is only pointless if you make it knowing you have no intention of enforcing it.

josh_sec33

If he had dropped it, you would have seen the endless comparisons to the Utah player who did that AGAINST Oregon.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2015, 10:34:29 am
A rule is only pointless if you make it knowing you have no intention of enforcing it.

And most coaches have no intention of kicking their best players off the team for something like this.  So there's a reason no one makes this one of their rules.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 14, 2015, 11:04:48 am
And most coaches have no intention of kicking their best players off the team for something like this.  So there's a reason no one makes this one of their rules.

I am not disputing that at all. I do agree with East, it is one of the most selfish things a player can do because it directly costs his team points if he drops the ball too soon, for no good reason.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2015, 11:29:06 am
I am not disputing that at all. I do agree with East, it is one of the most selfish things a player can do because it directly costs his team points if he drops the ball too soon, for no good reason.

Oh I agree with that too.  I just think it's insane and short sided to think they should immediately be kicked off the team. Again, I don't think they are dropping it like that on purpose and trying to drop it as close to the goal line as they can, as has been suggested.  They're so wrapped up in the moment that they forget where they are and screw up.