Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Funny How The Media

Started by bigdaddyhawg, January 13, 2015, 12:59:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Are relishing bashing the SEC these days, when in truth Alabama was the second best team this year.

An Alabama team that was "down" vs. Bama teams of the past.  A Bama team that struggled on the defensive side of the ball trying to replace all their early departures.

But even in a "down year", Bama still gave OSU pretty much all they wanted.

In the media's, and especially ESPN, love for Oregon they'll gloss over that Oregon was blown out even while OSU had FOUR turnovers.  If Oregon was half as good as ESPN believed they were they should have blown out OSU.

As usual, the truth and the media won't spend much time together.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Atlhogfan1

It's entertainment.  The old saying "they'll build you up to tear you down" applies.  The run for now appears to be over.  The streaks are of NCs and a team playing for the NC.  Even though as of 3 months ago they were stupidly claiming the greatness of the SECW, many were waiting for this moment as they can now head back the other direction and cause more debate.  It is what college football is - arguing.  It is just amplified now with multiple 24/7 sports networks needing programming and the net competing for traffic.  The SEC is still a story but now it will be a different narrative.  And it sells. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 01:05:53 pm
It's entertainment.  The old saying "they'll build you up to tear you down" applies.  The run for now appears to be over.  The streaks are of NCs and a team playing for the NC.  Even though as of 3 months ago they were stupidly claiming the greatness of the SECW, many were waiting for this moment as they can now head back the other direction and cause more debate.  It is what college football is - arguing.  It is just amplified now with multiple 24/7 sports networks needing programming and the net competing for traffic.  The SEC is still a story but now it will be a different narrative.  And it sells. 

I guess, but the media had a serious man-crush on Oregon.

If you'd ask anybody with a lick of sense they'd easily tell you the SEC was not going to win every NC from now until forever.

But the fact that Bama was probably the second best team in the country, in a year when they were down, still speaks volumes as to the toughness of our conference.

But, like you said, that's not the popular narrative.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

moses_007

I wish Arkansas could get to the point of having a "bad" year to equal Bama's "bad" year this season.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on January 13, 2015, 01:11:10 pm
I wish Arkansas could get to the point of having a "bad" year to equal Bama's "bad" year this season.

Well, so do pretty much every schools that plays football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 12:59:17 pm
Are relishing bashing the SEC these days, when in truth Alabama was the second best team this year.

An Alabama team that was "down" vs. Bama teams of the past.  A Bama team that struggled on the defensive side of the ball trying to replace all their early departures.

In the media's, and especially ESPN, love for Oregon they'll gloss over that Oregon was blown out even while OSU had FOUR turnovers.  If Oregon was half as good as ESPN believed they were they should have blown out OSU.

Doesn't matter. As for last nights game, Ohio State's big (Meyer's SEC duplicated Big Ten team) boys leaned on Oregon long enough to damage them and wear Oregon down and then took over the last half of the 3rd Quarter. It may have been a Big Ten team doing it, but it was a SEC philosophy that got it done.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogpkins

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 01:10:34 pm

If you'd ask anybody with a lick of sense they'd easily tell you the SEC was not going to win every NC from now until forever.

But the fact that Bama was probably the second best team in the country, in a year when they were down, still speaks volumes as to the toughness of our conference.

Oregon offers a lot to like. They run a very aggressive style that is uncommon in college football. Their tendency to go for 2-pt conversion is exhibit A. They've managed to have a spectacular run record-wise without the top 10 recruiting classes.

They were overmatched last night, but they give media and analysts plenty to talk about.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 01:10:34 pm

Oregon sells as well.  They have been trendy.  Probably the best marketed program ever. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 01:15:00 pm
Doesn't matter. As for last nights game, Ohio State's big (Meyer's SEC duplicated Big Ten team) boys leaned on Oregon long enough to damage them and wear Oregon down and then took over the last half of the 3rd Quarter. It may have been a Big Ten team doing it, but it was a SEC philosophy that got it done.

Maybe, but the BIG has been playing that style of football for many, many decades.

I did my heart good to see it, too.  I like seeing football played the way God intended it. 

;-)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 01:17:36 pm
Probably the best marketed program ever. 

That's for damn sure.

And that's fine, what with their Nike ownership and all.

But it does stick in my craw that ESPN invests so much energy into slurping them up.

I mean, who gives a rat's azz how quickly they run their plays?  All that matters is the result of the play.

I understand it does make a difference in wearing the opponents down, but it's also very effective at wearing yours down as well.  But why should anybody give a crap if that play ran in 12 seconds or 16 seconds?  That was all a part of ESPN's lips being firmly attached to Oregon's crack.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 01:43:05 pm
Maybe, but the BIG has been playing that style of football for many, many decades.

I did my heart good to see it, too.  I like seeing football played the way God intended it. 

;-)

I may be wrong about this but didn't Meyer recruit the southeastern U.S. for speed in the skilled positions and build up the already big midwestern linemen? I may be wrong but it seems as if he has transformed Ohio State to some extent in this way, and regardless of where the talent came from, this looks like a traditional SEC team to me.

Look at what Bielema is doing. Looks very similar to me.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 01:15:00 pm

It may have been a Big Ten team doing it, but it was a SEC philosophy that got it done.

No, it was a tried and true FOOTBALL philosophy that got it done. Hammer away with bigger stronger players, then hit some big plays. Punish the other team with your defense. It has been the formula for championship football for about 150 years. Many more titles and big games have been won that way, than by snapping the ball every 13 seconds, and having undersized players all over your team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

SEC tied with the most bowl wins ever....7 with 12 teams eligible.  The SEC west was....(I think) 78-9 when stepping out of the western conference.  Think about that for a second....that is unreal.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 01:52:14 pm
No, it was a tried and true FOOTBALL philosophy that got it done. Hammer away with bigger stronger players, then hit some big plays. Punish the other team with your defense. It has been the formula for championship football for about 150 years. Many more titles and big games have been won that way, than by snapping the ball every 13 seconds, and having undersized players all over your team.

Nonetheless, it is the SEC that has traditionally held to this philosophy, until of late when some chose a different direction. The SEC always had fast, quick players at skilled postions and behemoths along the line. Meyer has adopted this template in the Big Ten.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 01:56:15 pm
Nonetheless, it is the SEC that has traditionally held to this philosophy, until of late when some chose a different direction. The SEC always had fast, quick players at skilled postions and behemoths along the line. Meyer has adopted this template in the Big Ten.

The big10 had that philosophy for decades. The big 8 as well, with those massive Nebraska Olines and dlines. Bruising backs at Neb and Ou. That philosophy has been proven time and time and time again, from coast to coast, and the gulf to Canada. The once again proved the old saying ' Offense puts fannys in the seats, but defense wins titles. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 01:52:08 pm
I may be wrong about this but didn't Meyer recruit the southeastern U.S. for speed in the skilled positions and build up the already big midwestern linemen? I may be wrong but it seems as if he has transformed Ohio State to some extent in this way, and regardless of where the talent came from, this looks like a traditional SEC team to me.

Look at what Bielema is doing. Looks very similar to me.

Absolutely.

IMO Urban has put himself in about as good a position going forward as one can.

He's got the name, the high profile university with tons of history, standing in a very, VERY fertile recruiting ground, but without the week in and week out bashing one gets in the SEC.

Smart man.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 01:59:48 pm
The big10 had that philosophy for decades. The big 8 as well, with those massive Nebraska Olines and dlines. Bruising backs at Neb and Ou. That philosophy has been proven time and time and time again, from coast to coast, and the gulf to Canada. The once again proved the old saying ' Offense puts fannys in the seats, but defense wins titles. 

And look what happened to Nebraska when they left that philosphy -- defenses that can't stop anybody anymore.

As hard as it's been to be a Hog fan, I'm not sure I can imagine any more difficult pill to swallow than the one Husker fans have been contending with.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 01:52:14 pm
+1. Thank you. Butt hurt sec fans claiming that only the sec knows how to play winning football.  :puke:  the list I saw last night of most national championships won had one sec team on it. One. There is winning football played in other conferences.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 01:56:15 pm
is that why Saban changed his offense? Does that mean the king of the sec has adopted pac 12 philosophy. What does it all mean.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

tOSU is by far the best gig going in college right now.  Meyer can build teams of the same caliber that he did at FL, but play significantly less competition. 

Me bets he no longer has a heart condition.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Atlhogfan1

Oh St has been an exception just as USC was the last decade.  They recruit on an elite level and the claims about speed or style of play as being inferior to the SEC has applied to them.  They have a history of producing NFL talent with speed at WR, CB, S, RB.  They aren't Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Mich St ...  Those are programs who don't recruit on an elite level and the speed discussion is somewhat valid.

The advantage the SEC has had has been on the defensive side and most glaringly up front.  During the run, the SEC had dlines who could dominate.  Even AU 2010 had dlinemen who could disrupt and it is how they controlled Oregon in the NCG.  This has been the deciding factor. 

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 02:35:35 pm
+1. Thank you. Butt hurt sec fans claiming that only the sec knows how to play winning football.  :puke:  the list I saw last night of most national championships won had one sec team on it. One. There is winning football played in other conferences.

The SEC has played the most and best winning football over the previous 8 seasons and really since 1998.  Your program is an exception because you can build teams on the level of elite SEC teams.  Most of your conference can't except in rare instances.  That is the case with most other conferences. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 02:38:01 pm
is that why Saban changed his offense? Does that mean the king of the sec has adopted pac 12 philosophy. What does it all mean.

We'll see, but IMO Nick knew he didn't have the hosses up front to play that football like in years past.

He also knew he had an unbelievable talent in Cooper, and a QB who could throw well enough, yet didn't believe was a game manager type.

IMO it was smart for him to go the direction he did.  If he continues to play that way for the next several years, we'll know he's changed his philosophy.

LRRandy

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
We'll see, but IMO Nick knew he didn't have the hosses up front to play that football like in years past.

He also knew he had an unbelievable talent in Cooper, and a QB who could throw well enough, yet didn't believe was a game manager type.

IMO it was smart for him to go the direction he did.  If he continues to play that way for the next several years, we'll know he's changed his philosophy.
it makes sense to play to the strength of your players. The confusing part is that he has hand picked his players for how many years now? Too many #1 recruiting classes and five star players to not run the system he wants to run
This is fun, isn't it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 02:51:58 pm
it makes sense to play to the strength of your players. The confusing part is that he has hand picked his players for how many years now? Too many #1 recruiting classes and five star players to not run the system he wants to run

The price of the recruiting and success of Bama and LSU has been early draft entrants.  Bama lost one Oline starter to the draft early.  No other conference comes close to the SEC recently in early attrition to the draft.  It isn't confusing.  It was bound to catch up at some point. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 02:46:52 pm

I find it hard to believe he'd hire Kiffin to change the offense as a stopgap until help arrived on the offensive line.     
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

lefty08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 02:26:17 pm
Absolutely.

IMO Urban has put himself in about as good a position going forward as one can.

He's got the name, the high profile university with tons of history, standing in a very, VERY fertile recruiting ground, but without the week in and week out bashing one gets in the SEC.

Smart man.

It's amazing what a heart condition can do
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 13, 2015, 12:59:17 pm

If Bama plays Ohio St. 10 times, Bama would win 7 or 8.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 02:56:04 pm
The price of the recruiting and success of Bama and LSU has been early draft entrants.  Bama lost one Oline starter to the draft early.  No other conference comes close to the SEC recently in early attrition to the draft.  It isn't confusing.  It was bound to catch up at some point. 

I think we're finally seeing the SEC cannibalize itself.  And it's starting with recruiting.  Programs like OM, TN, and even UA to some degree are significantly improving their talent.  Throw in A&M with all the TX talent, and it's starting to translate on the field.  The 2nd tier teams are getting better at the expense, at least somewhat, of the traditional top tier like Bama, LSU, FL, etc...

The SEC is seemingly shifting to being the most complete and balanced conference and not as top heavy anymore.  We saw it last year, this year, and will again next year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2015, 03:11:03 pm
If Bama plays Ohio St. 10 times, Bama would win 7 or 8.

Not if Kiffin is calling plays without a leash.  Goodness he was bad in the semi.