Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Ash

Started by Greyhands, January 13, 2015, 09:30:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Ash is a well respected coach. He was huge on details. The kind of coach you want when you're loaded with quality, experienced players.

He was not a good fit at Arkansas. Players would get so balled up trying to execute various techniques & schemes that they were non aggressive.

They'd get chewed out for alignment issues even when they made the tackle.

Smith came in and simplified everything. Smart swarm was the mantra. Spaight was a different player in that system.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 13, 2015, 04:50:54 pm
Ash is a well respected coach. He was huge on details. The kind of coach you want when you're loaded with quality, experienced players.

He was not a good fit at Arkansas. Players would get so balled up trying to execute various techniques & schemes that they were non aggressive.

They'd get chewed out for alignment issues even when they made the tackle.

Smith came in and simplified everything. Smart swarm was the mantra. Spaight was a different player in that system.

Sometimes simpler, is better. It can become pretty easy to "overthink" things. "See ball, get ball". But that being said it seems that Smith has turned our defensive unit into "film addicts" and they have come to understand the value of studying ones opponent to the "nth" degree. So while schemes seem to be more simplified, our defensive unit seems to understand to a greater degree (perhaps by not having to spend so much time on very technical scheme calls) what our opponent has a tendency to run in any given down, distance and field position. I like it, a lot.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Heard an interview with Ash earlier. He was very complimentary of CBB and the hogs.

GolfnHog

My gawd, some of this thread reads like tale of betrayal of a scorned lover.

He left, AR improved and by the luck of the football gods, he was part of a NC team. Don't understand the angst.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 13, 2015, 04:40:32 pm
That wasn't Ash's D it was Fickell's and I don't care what he did somewhere else the limited time he was here he sucked.

+1

In addition he had one of the sourest dispositions I've seen.  He could have passed for a curmudgeon...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GolfnHog on January 13, 2015, 04:54:58 pm
My gawd, some of this thread reads like tale of betrayal of a scorned lover.

He left, AR improved and by the luck of the football gods, he was part of a NC team. Don't understand the angst.

Well lighten up, our improvement had nothing to do with Ash. Ash was better with a more developed system at Ohio State. He just didn't have what it took to get it done where greater development of players was required.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2015, 05:07:00 pm
+1

In addition he had one of the sourest dispositions I've seen.  He could have passed for a curmudgeon...

Naw that's me ask anyone with a dog that wants a park.............. ;D
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

It's a common practice for some fans to disparage coaches who leave for other jobs, especially if they left on their own. Sometimes the criticism is justified. Sometimes it's not.

I can't see why anyone would have an issue with Ash. Yeah, he seemed ticked off a lot during practice and in games. That's not exactly an uncommon trait for defensive coordinators.

He was okay to deal with from a media standpoint. I don't ever recall him getting bent out of shape over a question. He never said, I'M 40 AND I'M A MAN.

Inhogswetrust

January 13, 2015, 05:24:21 pm #58 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:43:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 13, 2015, 05:19:03 pm
It's a common practice for some fans to disparage coaches who leave for other jobs, especially if they left on their own. Sometimes the criticism is justified. Sometimes it's not.

I can't see why anyone would have an issue with Ash. Yeah, he seemed ticked off a lot during practice and in games. That's not exactly an uncommon trait for defensive coordinators.

He was okay to deal with from a media standpoint. I don't ever recall him getting bent out of shape over a question. He never said, I'M 40 AND I'M A MAN.

Off subject of Thread, but since you brought it up Mike I don't remember why Gundy said that but didn't it relate to someone in the media saying something about one of their players?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2015, 05:24:21 pm
Off subject of Thread, but since you brought it up Mike I don't remember why Gundy said that but didn't it relate to someone in the media saying something about one of their players?
struggling/transferring QB I believe it was
Don't be scared, be smart.

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 05:10:35 pm
Well lighten up, our improvement had nothing to do with Ash. Ash was better with a more developed system at Ohio State. He just didn't have what it took to get it done where greater development of players was required.

My point exactly. I'm not going to speak ill of the man because he left and succeeded somewhere else. I don't like tOSU but the Hogs are a better team because of Smith. I'm not looking in the mirror and fretting about another coach leaving the Hogs and getting to where he got this year. Not congratulating him either.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2015, 05:24:21 pm
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/mike-gundy-ran

Großer Kriegschwein

The Gundy thing was about a reporter that said some disparaging things about his QB and the coaches benching him. He, without a doubt, expressed his point to talk smack about the coaches and not the young players who are trying to do what the coaches ask them to do.
This is my non-signature signature.

immahog

we both got what we wanted .....its a win win, no hard feelings and I wish him the best
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 14, 2015, 01:59:30 pm
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/mike-gundy-ran

Thanks for the link Mike. Unbelievable IF he really did try to trademark that phrase......If so maybe he isn't a man after all.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 05:10:35 pm

Which is not to say that in two years he wouldn't be a perfect fit back here again.

Fans (not you, Muskogee) only think in absolutes - they are either awful or they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Every coach I've ever known says some kids you reach, and some you don't.  Some teams you reach, and some you don't, but it's not for lack of trying.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

TNRazorbacker

Seems like his leaving worked out quite well for both he and the Hogs. I see no reason for bitterness.