Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Ash

Started by Greyhands, January 13, 2015, 09:30:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhands

I really try not to hold a grudge because when Chris Ash left we got the blessing of Rob Smith. But man it kind of punches me in the gut that he just won a NC last night........

PorkRinds

Inhogswetrust

January 13, 2015, 09:32:27 am #2 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:44:05 pm by Inhogswetrust
I'm happy for him but Luke Fickell really runs that D I'd bet.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Greyhands

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 09:31:01 am
Do not care.
Well I didnt even think about it until Meyer came on The Herd and mentioned him

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

CabotHog87

Doesn't bother me, as it's not completely his doing at all. They've got some stud players there. And more than one defensive coach.

kaki

Quote from: Greyhands on January 13, 2015, 09:30:30 am
I really try not to hold a grudge because when Chris Ash left we got the blessing of Rob Smith. But man it kind of punches me in the gut that he just won a NC last night........
Never heard him mentioned last night, heard Luke's name numerous times.  Maybe he did not think he had what it took "to be Arkansas" and felt like taking the safe and easy route by riding the coat tail of Ohio State.  While it may work out for him short term, ultimately one has to measure up. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: kaki on January 13, 2015, 09:37:57 am
Never heard him mentioned last night, heard Luke's name numerous times.  Maybe he did not think he had what it took "to be Arkansas" and felt like taking the safe and easy route by riding the coat tail of Ohio State.  While it may work out for him short term, ultimately one has to measure up.
I heard his name mentioned.  He's likely a good coach, and won the NC last night with his team.  I'm betting he feels like he made the right decision.

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

tbhogfan

Things have worked out for all concerned.  We got a great DC and he got a NC and a great line on either a DC or HC resume.
Go Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 09:39:56 am
I heard his name mentioned.  He's likely a good coach, and won the NC last night with his team.  I'm betting he feels like he made the right decision.

I'm betting he's ecstatic the receivers from Oregon dropped wide open passes to them in the midst of the safeties he coaches according to the OSU website.....................................I respect him but his area of coaching is not what won the game for them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

go hogues

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 13, 2015, 09:43:07 am
Things have worked out for all concerned.  We got a great DC and he got a NC and a great line on either a DC or HC resume.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The Hogfather

They talked about Fickell a ton last night and acted like it was his D.  Didn't hear Ash mentioned at all.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: kaki on January 13, 2015, 09:37:57 am
I'm sure he is ok with it and not upset by you thinking he took the easy way.  He has a ring.

Raziohead

He's just a position coach.. no big deal

nice avatar, Weasles is one of my favorite Mothers of Invention albums

online-with-swine

I'd like to think he learned what not to do during his time here.

longpig

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 09:50:52 am
They talked about Fickell a ton last night and acted like it was his D.  Didn't hear Ash mentioned at all.
David Pollack credited Ash with making the Buckeye's vanilla pass rush more exotic.
Don't be scared, be smart.

The Hogfather

Quote from: longpig on January 13, 2015, 10:03:35 am
David Pollack credited Ash with making the Buckeye's vanilla pass rush more exotic.

Ok, they talked about him once.  Guess I missed it.  Just heard them talking about how Fickell was going to contain the Ducks, etc.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2015, 09:32:27 am
I 'm happy for him but Luke Fickell really runs that D I'd bet.

I imagine you base that on nothing.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

CabotHog87

What does it really matter? It's not like our defense is in shambles and he ran off leaving us that way only to win a championship. I'm plenty content with the way things are going here. tOSU shouldn't have been in anyway.

PorkRinds

Quote from: CabotHog87 on January 13, 2015, 10:13:21 am
What does it really matter? It's not like our defense is in shambles and he ran off leaving us that way only to win a championship. I'm plenty content with the way things are going here. tOSU shouldn't have been in anyway.

I think they pretty much proved last night that they should.  And I hate them.  They dominated.  Their QB and RB play were outstanding.  Defense was good too.  I didn't really see much of a weakness.

Hoggish1

That was Luke Fickle's D you saw last night, not Ash's.  Ash is irrelevant to Arkansas.

CabotHog87

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 10:14:43 am
I think they pretty much proved last night that they should.  And I hate them.  They dominated.  Their QB and RB play were outstanding.  Defense was good too.  I didn't really see much of a weakness.

Oh I totally agree, once they were in the playoffs they certainly earned the championship. I just mean based on their regular season resume I don't think they should've been in.

code red

Recruiting...recruiting....recruiting makes good coaches.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Professor Psychosis

Don't sweat it.  Decent chance Ohio State will have to vacate their championship in a few years anyway.

LRRandy

ash didn't get it done at Arkansas. Smith came in and turned the Arkansas defense into a force. Ash helped with the improvement of the Buckeye defense and has a national championship on his resume now. Win for both schools.
This is fun, isn't it.

Pork Twain

Impacts us, not at all
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkRinds

All you guys can Chris my Ash.  ;D

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2015, 10:18:54 am
That was Luke Fickle's D you saw last night, not Ash's.  Ash is irrelevant to Arkansas.

He's irrelevant to OSU.

I don't think their D would be much different with or without him. He collected a ring on the coat tails of others in my opinion.

Good for him.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

yraciv

I'm not an Ohio State fan and could really care less about Chris Ash, but the man just won a national championship and you are acting like he is just a lowly position coach who had no credit.

Fact, he is the Co-Defensive Coordinator and while Fickell runs the base defenses, Ash is responsible for dialing up blitzes and calling plays at times.  Fact, he also coaches the safeties. Did you know Ohio State's pass defense was ranked 110th in the country last year, and this year it is 17th? Safety coach might have something to do with that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: yraciv on January 13, 2015, 10:30:16 am
I'm not an Ohio State fan and could really care less about Chris Ash, but the man just won a national championship and you are acting like he is just a lowly position coach who had no credit.

Fact, he is the Co-Defensive Coordinator and while Fickell runs the base defenses, Ash is responsible for dialing up blitzes and calling plays at times.  Fact, he also coaches the safeties. Did you know Ohio State's pass defense was ranked 110th in the country last year, and this year it is 17th? Safety coach might have something to do with that.

Nah.  It's magic.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: yraciv on January 13, 2015, 10:30:16 am

Yep because he coached that position smashingly here.  ::)

He's doing better because he has better athletes Einstein.

hawg1221

During the 4 hour game, his name was mentioned 1 time with a few minutes left in the game and Luke Fickell was mentioned many times.  Ash is a sidekick!!

RobGob

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 09:39:56 am

This.

He definitely looks much more appealing to future employers than he did a year ago and has added a CFP NC to his resume.  Can't criticize the man for making a move that has increased his value. The move may end up being worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if he gets promoted or gets a better gig somewhere else.

It is kind of petty to resent the man's success.

redeye

Why?

We have a better DC then Ash, so why would you worry about him?  Be happy for him and glad that another former Arkansas assistant has had success.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: RobGob on January 13, 2015, 11:08:10 am
This.

He definitely looks much more appealing to future employers than he did a year ago and has added a CFP NC to his resume.  Can't criticize the man for making a move that has increased his value. The move may end up being worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if he gets promoted or gets a better gig somewhere else.

It is kind of petty to resent the man's success.

I don't resent his success I actually don't care I just think he's a subpar coach who lucked into a good situation that got him a ring, of which I think his contribution was likely minimal.

He took the easy road and it paid off, good for him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 13, 2015, 11:14:48 am
I don't resent his success I actually don't care I just think he's a subpar coach who lucked into a good situation that got him a ring of which I think his contribution was likely minimal.

He took the easy road and it paid off, good for him.
C'mon.  You think Urban Meyer hires sub par coaches when he could basically have his pick of who he wants?  You don't luck into a job on the national championship team.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2015, 11:15:42 am
C'mon.  You think Urban Meyer hires sub par coaches when he could basically have his pick of who he wants?  You don't luck into a job on the national championship team.

I know he didn't do crap here, that's what I know.

I know Robb Smith came in and completely turned our D around with essentially the same personnel.

I don't know why Meyer hired him, maybe he actually is a good safety coach despite his lackluster performance here, but he's no DC IMO at least not good enough to stand on his own.

Not from what I saw here.

Calling All Hogs

I appreciate Ash tucking tail and running to a job that paid less.  It is kind of funny that part of the official bio at OSU is how he helped turn Arkansas' defense around. According to that we should be lucky we were able to hold on to him for a full year.  :)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_ash_882919.html

Pig In The City

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 09:50:52 am
We improved at the position. Results are everything. Not everyone is suited for Fayettevile. No harm, no foul.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 13, 2015, 10:11:05 am
I imagine you base that on nothing.

Other than the fact media has mentioned it as well as the fact he was retained as DC by Meyer even though he had been the interim before, kind of like what happened with Kines here years ago. IF Ash were to be the man then I'd wonder if Luke would have pulled a Gussy and left. He had been the DC before Ash.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: online-with-swine on January 13, 2015, 09:58:41 am
I'd like to think he learned what not to do during his time here.

I would have thought any major mistakes he had made as a DC would have been out of his system by the time he got here since he was a DC for BB at Wisconsin.

rude1

This is why IMO he took the job. With what Urban Myer is bringing in there it's not out of the question that they win a second NC. It will sure look good on the resume to have NC Co DC on it , no matter how much Hogville will claim he had nothing to do with it. It will be a faster track to a HC position when you are a part of championship level staffs.

gmarv

good for him better for us ,moving on.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rude1 on January 13, 2015, 12:39:18 pm
This is why IMO he took the job. With what Urban Myer is bringing in there it's not out of the question that they win a second NC. It will sure look good on the resume to have NC Co DC on it , no matter how much Hogville will claim he had nothing to do with it. It will be a faster track to a HC position when you are a part of championship level staffs.

I think it is just as good and as fast if you take a position where the part you are coaching is not good and turn it around such as what Robb Smith has done versus going to one that is damn near almost ready made when you get there. Especially if you are listed as CO whatever coach. Don't misconstrue all my posts here as thinking he isn't a good coach. I think he is good and wondered why he left but he had to do what he feels is the best for him even IF he wasn't on thin ice with BB.

I do bet he had his brain picked incessantly over what Bama would do since he was familiar with them...................and if so it worked! Good for him for being able to enjoy a NC.

yraciv

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 13, 2015, 11:20:01 am
I know he didn't do crap here, that's what I know.

I know Robb Smith came in and completely turned our D around with essentially the same personnel.

I don't know why Meyer hired him, maybe he actually is a good safety coach despite his lackluster performance here, but he's no DC IMO at least not good enough to stand on his own.

Not from what I saw here.

Did you ever watch his Wisconsin defenses play? There is no way to say his performance here was great, but considering they weren't his players, it was all their first year in a new coach's system, and his defense was on the field a lot, yeah there are going to be growing pains! 

All I've got to go off of his track record. In his 2 seasons at Wisconsin, he had Top 20 defenses and allowed less than 20 ppg.  This year his defense allowed 21 a game, pass defense was even better, and his defense looked good enough to win a national championship.  Give him split credit on that last one, but those results stack up pretty well.

Scott7703

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: yraciv on January 13, 2015, 03:46:39 pm
Did you ever watch his Wisconsin defenses play? There is no way to say his performance here was great, but considering they weren't his players, it was all their first year in a new coach's system, and his defense was on the field a lot, yeah there are going to be growing pains! 

All I've got to go off of his track record. In his 2 seasons at Wisconsin, he had Top 20 defenses and allowed less than 20 ppg.  This year his defense allowed 21 a game, pass defense was even better, and his defense looked good enough to win a national championship.  Give him split credit on that last one, but those results stack up pretty well.

Growing pains? Lol, dude those were more like labor pains the year he was here.

Robb Smith experienced the same thing Ash did. Not his players, new system, blah blah but his "growing pains" we're a hang nail compared to Ash's.

I wasn't impressed with Ash when he was here and I think our current DC is much better and showed us what a good DC could do with what we had here at Arkansas.

Ash couldn't hack it so he left and I'm glad he did.

I don't begrudge him, even though I despise OSU, I just think he was more of a tag along than an integral part of them winning the NC.

yraciv

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 13, 2015, 04:00:18 pm
Growing pains? Lol, dude those were more like labor pains the year he was here.

Robb Smith experienced the same thing Ash did. Not his players, new system, blah blah but his "growing pains" we're a hang nail compared to Ash's.

I wasn't impressed with Ash when he was here and I think our current DC is much better and showed us what a good DC could do with what we had here at Arkansas.

Ash couldn't hack it so he left and I'm glad he did.

I don't begrudge him, even though I despise OSU, I just think he was more of a tag along than an integral part of them winning the NC.

You continue to ignore his resume elsewhere.  No one is belittling Rob Smith or comparing the 2 for that matter.  I was just simply pointing out Chris Ash has had some part in calling defensive plays for 4 years, 3 of which his d's were in the top 25 and in BCS bowl games, and 1 national championship.

Just like BB, Urban tries to carry the best of the best when it comes to assistants.  I don't think anyone is a tagalong, and especially not a coordinator with a Top 25 unit.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: yraciv on January 13, 2015, 04:23:16 pm
You continue to ignore his resume elsewhere.  No one is belittling Rob Smith or comparing the 2 for that matter.  I was just simply pointing out Chris Ash has had some part in calling defensive plays for 4 years, 3 of which his d's were in the top 25 and in BCS bowl games, and 1 national championship.

Just like BB, Urban tries to carry the best of the best when it comes to assistants.  I don't think anyone is a tagalong, and especially not a coordinator with a Top 25 unit.

That wasn't Ash's D it was Fickell's and I don't care what he did somewhere else the limited time he was here he sucked.

We lacked fundamentals in tackling, scheme, playing the ball in the secondary, etc. then another guy comes in and all the sudden we're doing all of the above properly and look like a completely different unit despite having pretty much the same players.

That tells me despite his past record he wasn't that great as a coordinator. At OSU he's not calling the shots, he's a role player, and Fickell is orchestrating the D and his Co-D coordinator title is just a title.

He's not running things on that unit that I'm certain of.