Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Blueprint

Started by gawntrail, January 13, 2015, 12:19:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gawntrail

Considering the evidence OSU displayed......

Should there be some consideration and discussion on how to influence the Big XII to adopt better sharing agreements, work on Texas to dump LHN for a XII network and jump in with both feet.

A couple of real games a year, a legit chance at a Conference Title 2 of every 3 years and the accompanying ticket to the dance?

Solid wins over Texas, OU, and OSU would definitely trump whatever the ACC and the PAC champs did.  Then with our model we do what we do......

I'm thinking:

Pointing to our tuff conference schedule  < NC

Serious discussion here.

luke hawg

I want a Ferrari and Olivia Munn

Danny J

Quote from: luke hawg on January 13, 2015, 12:26:14 am
One comes with the other! Like buy one get one free.

Mike_e

I'd rather watch us play the teams in the SEC as opposed to a bunch of whocares in the bigwhatever.

Playing tejas is nice but so is playing bama (yes the tide will turn to our side eventually).  OU?  So what, we already play auburn.  Bayler and TCU are hot right now but still, who cares? 

OSU?  We've already got aTm.

Pride and history?  SEC trumps everything else that anyone has.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike_e on January 13, 2015, 06:38:22 am
I'd rather watch us play the teams in the SEC as opposed to a bunch of whocares in the bigwhatever.

Playing tejas is nice but so is playing bama (yes the tide will turn to our side eventually).  OU?  So what, we already play auburn.  Bayler and TCU are hot right now but still, who cares? 

OSU?  We've already got aTm.

Pride and history?  SEC trumps everything else that anyone has.

If our goal is to always play tradiditional powerhouse programs so we can say we play them every year then its all good.  I'm talking about a more effective way to the playoff.

The bottom line is playing for a NC.  Or, so I thought.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 08:51:37 am
If our goal is to always play tradiditional powerhouse programs so we can say we play them every year then its all good.  I'm talking about a more effective way to the playoff.

The bottom line is playing for a NC.  Or, so I thought.

We will not move to the Big 12(10).
Go Hogs Go!

rickm1976

Quote from: luke hawg on January 13, 2015, 12:26:14 am

I'd take a new 4x4 Truck and a lifetime supply of BBQ ribs (I'm old).

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 12:19:24 am
Considering the evidence OSU displayed......

Should there be some consideration and discussion on how to influence the Big XII to adopt better sharing agreements, work on Texas to dump LHN for a XII network and jump in with both feet.

A couple of real games a year, a legit chance at a Conference Title 2 of every 3 years and the accompanying ticket to the dance?

Solid wins over Texas, OU, and OSU would definitely trump whatever the ACC and the PAC champs did.  Then with our model we do what we do......

I'm thinking:

Pointing to our tuff conference schedule  < NC

Serious discussion here.

no it isn't...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Danny J on January 13, 2015, 12:33:30 am
One comes with the other! Like buy one get one free.

Both high maintenance costs............... and both depreciate...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rickm1976 on January 13, 2015, 09:26:31 am
I'd take a new 4x4 Truck and a lifetime supply of BBQ ribs (I'm old).

It's fun to ride and eat.......................... ;)

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 08:54:40 am
We will not move to the Big 12(10).

I think our membership in the SEC is great.  It has been an asset in building our program and prestige. 

I'm pointing out that the landscape has changed.  If we do not even consider talking about adapting to it in a manner that is advantageous to the UofA then... what?  We're not AZ State.  We're not Oregon State.  Geographically we have options.  Our tradition and $$ gives us options.  If we dismiss those options out of hand in favor of getting our teeth knocked in every year so we can brag about who did it, then we're not on the same page as far as goals. 

NC or nothing.

Non-SEC P5 teams, shoot, non-SEC West P5 teams, now have a very obvious advantage.

lefty08

This thread is as stupid as the idea of being in another conference
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

younghog

GO HOGS

ThundrHawg

Arkansas stays in the SEC for $$$$$$$ and no other reason. This discussion is stupid.

gawntrail

Quote from: hogz11 on January 13, 2015, 11:08:00 am
See OP what did I tell you. I guarantee you if Arkansas switched conferences and ran through an easy schedule to the playoff and somehow won the whole thing, none of these fans would give a crap anymore about the SEC. They would all be singing We Are The Champions for a week....

I see us making huge strides to improve.  Why not discuss other options?  The model changed.  We should be interested in adapting to the new reality. 

Fusion

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 11:44:49 am
I see us making huge strides to improve.  Why not discuss other options?  The model changed.  We should be interested in adapting to the new reality. 

The model didn't change.  TCU and Baylor both got left out because of their sorry conferences.  OSU nearly got left out because of their sorry conference.

So, your solution is we should join a sorry conference?

Sorry, friend, that don't make much sense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 11:44:49 am

The model hasn't changed. Just look back through history at teams that have managed to get to the BCS Championship by playing weaker schedules. Ohio State didn't re-write history. They just happened to benefit this year.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 09:41:29 am
I think our membership in the SEC is great.  It has been an asset in building our program and prestige. 

Year three of the CBB era is coming up.  What do you say we stay the course and see where this thing goes in the year ahead.

I'm liking our chances—in the best conference.

goodguytex

Quote from: younghog on January 13, 2015, 09:59:40 am
YAWN
You seriously need that as your sig line, and you need to file for copyright rights on that.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2015, 11:53:27 am
The model hasn't changed. Just look back through history at teams that have managed to get to the BCS Championship by playing weaker schedules. Ohio State didn't re-write history. They just happened to benefit this year.
Ohio State had to cream a high ranked Wisconsin team at the end of the year to make the playoffs. That is not a model that will get them in the playoffs every year as it is unlikely to happen on a regular basis.

gawntrail

The model most certainly changed.

Conference Champion means ticket to the party.  How much simpler an equation can it be? 

gawntrail

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 13, 2015, 11:55:43 am
Year three of the CBB era is coming up.  What do you say we stay the course and see where this thing goes in the year ahead.

I'm liking our chances—in the best conference.

We are.  Considering all avenues is not a bad thing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogz11 on January 13, 2015, 12:21:46 pm
OP they don't see it. If this four team playoff stays as is, the Hogs are going to have to go 12-1 with a SEC title at minimum to guarantee a spot in the playoff. Other scenarios could happen where a worse record could get you in but there's a lot of luck in that. Does anyone think if the Hogs went 11-1 this year with their only loss to Bama that we would've made it in over any of the four? No.......we would've been left out with TCU and Baylor. OSU winning it all this year is only going to fuel that thinking from here out.

Even a two loss SEC champion may get left out if all other conference champions are undefeated or 1 loss teams. The point the OP is making is SEC teams now have the toughest road to the playoff and SOS means less than it ever has. Of course Bama got in over TCU......but say they did lose 1 more this year. Do they get in over TCU? Maybe.....maybe not.

But as of last night.......you are going to see the committee put a lot of weight on conference champions and win loss record. SEC teams have the toughest route of all to do that.

Our SEC pride means nothing if TCU runs through an easier schedule next year and wins two games in the playoff. National championships mean a heck of a lot more than conference pride and tough schedules.....

Everyone "sees it", they just don't agree. And discuss away, but it still isn't going to happen. Why should we help the Big 12(10) get to the point where they can have a CCG again? We are regionally relevant to the conference, no doubt about that. But what could they offer us (financially) that we don't already have? And that is a huge part of all of this, regardless of all of the talk of an easier road to the play-offs. The financial aspect trumps what you two are promoting.

I suspect (and project) that in the final analysis, short of the Big 12 adding a minimum of two to four of someone like BYU, Colorado State, UCF or Boise State, that eventually this conference is going the way of the dinosaur.

A move to the Big 12(10) would not be a good move for us financially or otherwise.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 09:41:29 am

NC or nothing.

Non-SEC P5 teams, shoot, non-SEC West P5 teams, now have a very obvious advantage.

NC or nothing? Are you kidding me? Only ONE team wins the NC so I guess you think all the others had horrible years and all their coaches should be fired. There is no advantage one way or the other. Now IF some of the games leading up to the playoff would have tuned out different then there easily could have been four different teams other than those that were in it. No advantage. This subject has been covered millions of times in the media since it was announced which teams were in the playoff.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogz11 on January 13, 2015, 11:08:00 am
See OP what did I tell you. I guarantee you if Arkansas switched conferences and ran through an easy schedule to the playoff and somehow won the whole thing, none of these fans would give a crap anymore about the SEC. They would all be singing We Are The Champions for a week.

Too much "SEC pride" on here just like I thought. Meanwhile OSU is smirking at how they beat the best two teams in the nation (including the best the SEC had to offer) on their way to a national championship.

Yet IF Baylor or TCU had to have played a conference championship game and won it then OSU probably wouldn't have even been in the playoff!

wholehog92

Forget swaying hogville to do anything for a minute.

What do you think the odds of these two things happening are?

1. influence the Big XII to adopt better sharing agreements.  You are really talking about the zero and the whorns.

2.  work on Texas to dump LHN for a XII network

Then people act offended when the discussion isn't taken seriously.  Good grief.  What really needs to happen is for me to win the lottery and hire selected members of AU, LSU, A & M, the Mississippi's, and Bama to do something besides play football.  Probably a more likely scenario.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on January 13, 2015, 12:10:38 pm
The model most certainly changed.

Conference Champion means ticket to the party.  How much simpler an equation can it be? 

Tell that to Baylor or TCU.............................OOPS they didn't make it and one reason why is NO conference championship game.

moses_007

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 13, 2015, 12:10:19 pm
Ohio State had to cream a high ranked Wisconsin team at the end of the year to make the playoffs. That is not a model that will get them in the playoffs every year as it is unlikely to happen on a regular basis.
Didn't OSU beat Wisconsin all the years Bielema was there?  enough said.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 13, 2015, 12:10:19 pm

That is true however the fact they lost to a lesser team in VT is what made that needed. IF Baylor and TCU had taken care of business and not also lost a game they may have been in it. The conference Champ game GAVE OSU that opportunity. Some years a conference champ game may help as it did this year and some years it may not.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: moses_007 on January 13, 2015, 01:04:53 pm
Didn't OSU beat Wisconsin all the years Bielema was there?  enough said.
I see you are still bringing down the collective IQ of Hogville. 

I was hoping you were done here, since you have been wrong about everything since CBB was hired.
All Gas, No Brakes!

gawntrail

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2015, 12:58:53 pm
NC or nothing? Are you kidding me? Only ONE team wins the NC so I guess you think all the others had horrible years and all their coaches should be fired. There is no advantage one way or the other. Now IF some of the games leading up to the playoff would have tuned out different then there easily could have been four different teams other than those that were in it. No advantage. This subject has been covered millions of times in the media since it was announced which teams were in the playoff.   

I don't think that.

You say there is no advantage.  I disagree.  How many non-conference champions were in the playoffs?  How many non conference champions were in the hunt for the BCS championship?

It looks to me that 4 of the 5 P5 conference champs (assuming a CCG in each) get in.  That's why I believe a stronger XII (or whatever it may be called) would always have a better argument for its champion to be in over the ACC champion.  That's a better 'look at us' discussion than being a 1-2 loss SEC team not even getting in the ccs trying to displace a conference champion.  To me that's a non-starter.

Whatever the winning argument is for a non conference champion to get in has to be considered along with how often would we meet its criteria.

Considering the slog that is the path of an SECW team to the playoff, why is considering and discussing a more advantageous path such a bizarre idea?

gawntrail

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2015, 01:00:47 pm
Yet IF Baylor or TCU had to have played a conference championship game and won it then OSU probably wouldn't have even been in the playoff!

This year.

But, it would be a 1 of 5 conference champions argument instead of a 1 of 15 1-2 loss non conference champion teams.

gawntrail

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 13, 2015, 01:02:33 pm
Forget swaying hogville to do anything for a minute.

What do you think the odds of these two things happening are?

1. influence the Big XII to adopt better sharing agreements.  You are really talking about the zero and the whorns.

2.  work on Texas to dump LHN for a XII network

Then people act offended when the discussion isn't taken seriously.  Good grief.  What really needs to happen is for me to win the lottery and hire selected members of AU, LSU, A & M, the Mississippi's, and Bama to do something besides play football.  Probably a more likely scenario.

I'm not offended.

In light of the criteria laid out by the playoff commitee, and the SEC network's success as an example, I'd put the odds at 70/30 against.  But, if the UofA, the XII, the LHN, and the playoff committee continue on their current paths the odds get better and better. 

Somebody IS going to get the XII fixed.  It will then have a legitimate claim every year for its conference champion to be 1 of the 4.  My opinion is that if we do not somehow look at all possibilities to improve the UofA's chance to be one of the 5 being considered, then I guess we can always discuss how unfair it is that a 1-2 loss nonconference champion never gets a sniff.