Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should've Been Bama vs. OSU for NC

Started by The Hogfather, January 12, 2015, 11:01:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

January 12, 2015, 11:01:27 pm Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:23:16 am by The Hogfather
Should've been FSU vs. OSU and Oregon vs. Bama.  OSU vs. Bama Champ.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

mjsphd

What difference would that have made.  OSU is clearly the best team in the country- with a 3rd string quarterback.- Amazing.

Brass Knob

Ohio State would beat Bama 8 out of 10 times...

popcornhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 12, 2015, 11:01:27 pm

Lol WUT?
WPS

Tick Hog

Nobody was beating OSU these last 3 games

Fayettechill14

Ohio State is pretty clearly the best team in the country. I'd guess the final poll will look like this:

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. Oregon
5. Michigan State
6. Florida State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech

Murr

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 13, 2015, 12:07:06 am
Ohio State is pretty clearly the best team in the country. I'd guess the final poll will look like this:

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. Oregon
5. Michigan State
6. Florida State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech really impressed me down the stretch.  They earned mad respect down the stretch.

Interesting part in all of this: If Big 12 had a CCG between Baylor and TCU, that winner would have jumped into the top 4 and knocked tOSU out of the playoff series.  Just shows how there was not one or two truly dominant teams this season.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Murr on January 13, 2015, 12:52:52 am
Georgia Tech really impressed me down the stretch.  They earned mad respect down the stretch.

Interesting part in all of this: If Big 12 had a CCG between Baylor and TCU, that winner would have jumped into the top 4 and knocked tOSU out of the playoff series.  Just shows how there was not one or two truly dominant teams this season.
VERY interesting part, actually...
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Hogarusa

You must have missed Ohio St. They were clearly and truly dominant, voters/committee were as always, flawed.

Not sure I get why OP has this opinion.  FSU should have been out, TCU in.  But again, clearly Ohio St. was best team in country
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pork Twain

Would not have mattered.  Had Oregon had the same team this week as they had against FSU, it would have likely been a much different outcome.  Couple of dropped passes that should not have been

WR Devon Allen
WR Darren Carrington

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/oregons-carrington-ford-benched-positive-drug-tests-152346501--spt.html#bg8Xcmh
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoghiker

If you roll the dice twice, different results are the norm. OSU played better than any one down the stretch. Shuffling the deck might have changed the winner; however, it's a silly conceit. OSU won. Fair and square.

hoglady

OSU actually became a better team the day QB #2 went down and QB #3 stepped in.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

demonHOG1013

I hate Ohio State, but give props to Urban Meyer and his staff. Winning the National Championship in dominant fashion with their 3rd best QB.  Quite impressive to say the least.

3kgthog

It's pretty obvious Bama vs OSU was the real national title game. Oregon still can't hang with physical teams when it's time to put up or shut up.

hogsanity

When FSU started dropping in the poll I said it would end up biting Bama in the rear end because it was going to end up being Bama against the 4 seed which was going to be one of OSU/Baylor/TCU, and all three of those were bad matchups for Bama.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 08:18:20 am
When FSU started dropping in the poll I said it would end up biting Bama in the rear end because it was going to end up being Bama against the 4 seed which was going to be one of OSU/Baylor/TCU, and all three of those were bad matchups for Bama.

It really is crazy to think that OSU was almost left out of the playoff.  Most thought the committee was crazy.  I think we really need to go to 8.  TCU should've been in and Baylor should've been in because they beat TCU head-to-head.

Hoggish1

Had it been that, it might have easily been OSU vs. FSU with FSU getting a 2nd straight nat. championship.

OLDHOG

I hate Ohio St. and Urben Meyer too, but gotta give some credit. They played well when it counted.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Woopig69

I would like to see OSU play TCU next Monday night.

RobGob

January 13, 2015, 11:21:04 am #21 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:35:59 am by RobGob
Honestly, I'm pretty pleased with the result.  I was at the 2011 Sugar Bowl when we lost to Ohio State and it was really frustrating and depressing having to listen to all their chipper, cocky fans afterwards.  In a screwed up way, it is a consolation for me to see Alabama get embarrassed by them in the same venue 4 years later.  I remember reading an Alabama fan's post after the 2011 Sugar Bowl that said he wished they had played Ohio State (implying they would have done better).  Well, they got their chance to crush the cocky, annoying B1G King Ohio State and they got embarrassed - helps me move on from the 2011 Sugar Bowl game knowing Ohio State fans will always point to the Alabama game now as proof they are better than the SEC, as opposed to always using us as their scapegoat.

EastexHawg

Why?  Just so we could claim an SEC team made the championship game again?

I'm apparently not as proud of my dad's service in World War II as some people are of the SEC and its accomplishments.

longpig

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 08:24:40 am
It really is crazy to think that OSU was almost left out of the playoff. 
Not really, considering how they didn't come on strong till way late in the season.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

sickboy

I'm selfish... I just want to see a bigger playoff pool. It would have been so much fun to see Baylor and TCU compete this year.

RussVegas Hawg

Quote from: Brass Knob on January 12, 2015, 11:25:56 pm
Ohio State would beat Bama 8 out of 10 times...

Not likely.

5-5, 6-4 maybe

Calling All Hogs

Ohio State is clearly the best team in the country. Football is all about wearing the other side out. You can do that two main ways. Run an up tempo offensive that requires the defense of your opponent to move around more or play smash mouth football and wear them down physically. Urban Myers figured out you can do both.

Tomhog™

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 08:24:40 am
It really is crazy to think that OSU was almost left out of the playoff.  Most thought the committee was crazy.  I think we really need to go to 8.  TCU should've been in and Baylor should've been in because they beat TCU head-to-head.

I agree. A team like OSU "sneaking in" the playoffs and blowing away the competition shows we need at least one more round to provide teams with great records and weaker schedule an opportunity to put up or shut up.

Atlhogfan1

Bama vs OSU was the NC game.  As I just posted in another thread, last night lacked what the Sugar Bowl had. 

But this is hindsight.  The committee couldn't have put OSU all the way up to 3 from where they had them.  ESPN's influence on the committee giving out early rankings should be stopped.  I know the excuse that the committee wanted to be a little transparent.  But this was mainly made for tv hype.  It was a mistake as it played out with TCU and Oh St. 

As far as the TCU and Baylor arguments, they are Oregons and not Bamas or Ohio States. 

I would have been good with old days.  Bama - FSU Sugar and the traditional Rose Bowl Oh St and Oregon.  Split the NC between Bama and OSU after they would have won. 

Polls before bowls would have probably had:
1. FSU because they hadn't lost
2. Bama
3. Oregon
4. Oh St

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cresthog

I worry 8 is too many games

I think 6 with buys would work best without a doubt.

Cresthog

I give a lot of credit to OSU but hell, if Oregon would have capitalized on 2 of the 4 TOs, totally different ballgame. If not capitalizing on all of them.

Oregon was a fraud. They always have been with their stupid jerseys and their stupid system.

Plus their coach looks like a creepy high school gym teacher.

LRRandy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 12:27:43 pm
Bama vs OSU was the NC game.  As I just posted in another thread, last night lacked what the Sugar Bowl had. 

But this is hindsight.  The committee couldn't have put OSU all the way up to 3 from where they had them.  ESPN's influence on the committee giving out early rankings should be stopped.  I know the excuse that the committee wanted to be a little transparent.  But this was mainly made for tv hype.  It was a mistake as it played out with TCU and Oh St. 

As far as the TCU and Baylor arguments, they are Oregons and not Bamas or Ohio States. 

I would have been good with old days.  Bama - FSU Sugar and the traditional Rose Bowl Oh St and Oregon.  Split the NC between Bama and OSU after they would have won. 

2. Bama
3. Oregon
4. Oh St
and since there is a playoff there is no need to split. Ohio State beat Bama on the field of play. Undisputed national champion.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 12:27:43 pm

2. Bama
3. Oregon
4. Oh St

Split the national title?  Holy crapman. You would have been fine with a split title?  My mind is boggled
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 12:38:11 pm
and since there is a playoff there is no need to split. Ohio State beat Bama on the field of play. Undisputed national champion.

I know jersey wearer :)

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 13, 2015, 12:48:38 pm
Split the national title?  Holy crapman. You would have been fine with a split title?  My mind is boggled

Didn't bother me.  We have one.  Lots of programs do. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Why would anyone want voters to decide the national championship...or have it split between two teams...rather than have them play and settle things on the field?

It's an utterly bizarre concept as far as I'm concerned.  Competition, settling things on the field...that's the essence of sport, not having a bunch of writers sit around and pick who they think would win...or better yet, who they would want to win.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2015, 12:49:56 pm
Didn't bother me.  We have one.  Lots of programs do.

If there had been a playoff in 1964 we would have had a chance at one that wasn't split.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 12:53:15 pm
If there had been a playoff in 1964 we would have had a chance at one that wasn't split.

Yes we would have.  Maybe could have gotten into one in other years as well.  1977 Hog team in the playoff would have been interesting. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 12:51:34 pm
Why would anyone want voters to decide the national championship...or have it split between two teams...rather than have them play and settle things on the field?

It's an utterly bizarre concept as far as I'm concerned.  Competition, settling things on the field...that's the essence of sport, not having a bunch of writers sit around and pick who they think would win...or better yet, who they would want to win.

A committee including some "non" football people decided this playoff. 

This isn't going to be settled more until the playoffs are greatly expanded and conferences balanced.  What we will have is something in between until then.

Hogpkins

The playoff worked perfectly. Ohio is the best team in the country, no question. We have an undisputed champion, which is far better than a disputed champion.

I don't understand the OP. Ohio already played Bama and beat them. The point of the playoff is to make sure the best team wins it all; it is not intended to make sure the best 2 teams necessarily play in the championship. Just look at the Superbowl or the NBA playoffs or every other sport -- many many times the best 2 teams (at least the ones we believe are the best) meet in the playoffs prior to the final game.

There is absolutely nothing to complain about how this playoff went down. It worked beautifully.

Cresthog

Quote from: sickboy on January 13, 2015, 12:09:19 pm
I'm selfish... I just want to see a bigger playoff pool. It would have been so much fun to see Baylor and TCU compete this year.

Conference championship?

Issue done. Big 12 thingy shot itself in the foot.

Cresthog

Quote from: Hogpkins on January 13, 2015, 01:05:59 pm
There is absolutely nothing to complain about how this playoff went down. It worked beautifully.

If the Big12 had a conference title I'd agree, but they screwed the whole thing up.

moses_007

Alabama would have lost to Ohio State regardless of which game they played in.  OSU is clearly lots better than Alabama.

Hogpkins

There was room for debate about the 4th slot. I for one thought the committee got it right by taking Ohio over the Big 12 schools. Ohio proved the committee right by its performance.

Atlhogfan1

I thought before the B1G championship that Oh St should get in over TCU or BU if they were to have won it and a blowout wasn't necessary for me to keep that opinion.  The committee was right even if Oh St had not won the playoff - IMO.  Still this is about opinion even with Oh St's performances. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hogpkins on January 13, 2015, 01:05:59 pm
The playoff worked perfectly. Ohio is the best team in the country, no question. We have an undisputed champion, which is far better than a disputed champion.

I don't understand the OP. Ohio already played Bama and beat them. The point of the playoff is to make sure the best team wins it all; it is not intended to make sure the best 2 teams necessarily play in the championship. Just look at the Superbowl or the NBA playoffs or every other sport -- many many times the best 2 teams (at least the ones we believe are the best) meet in the playoffs prior to the final game.

Ohio didn't make it to the playoff.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogpkins on January 13, 2015, 01:09:08 pm
There was room for debate about the 4th slot. I for one thought the committee got it right by taking Ohio over the Big 12 schools. Ohio proved the committee right by its performance.

Since TCU didn't get in and get a chance to prove what they could have done, I don't know how we can say Ohio State proved the committee got it right.  How do we know TCU wouldn't have beaten Ohio State and won it all, too?  The same way we...and the committee...knew Ohio State was the 4th best team among those included in the playoff field?

Pork Twain

8 teams gets us there and is really just one extra game, but until that happens, this works better than anything we have ever had.

Seeding is not important in this as it is just an example
1/4
        1/2 = 2 games for the NC
2/3

1/8
4/5
            (1/4vs2/3) = 1/2 = 3 games for the NC
2/7
3/6

code red

Is tOSU the best????  There is no doubt...so lets all just shut up.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HogBreath

Quote from: hoglady on January 13, 2015, 06:59:11 am
OSU actually became a better team the day QB #2 went down and QB #3 stepped in.
Amazing how few get this, but you're right.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?