Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Turnaround Puts Robb Smith In Demand

Started by Mike Irwin, January 11, 2015, 07:22:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Fayetteville--Arkansas football defensive coordinator Robb Smith is one of six Brett Bielema assistant coaches to sign amended contracts for the 2015 school year. Smith was given a $250,000 raise for an annual salary of $750,000. However the $250,000 buyout Smith would have to pay if he took another job would not necessarily prevent him from taking a similar position in the NFL.

How confident is Bielema that Smith is locked up for the 2015 season?
--------------------
To read more or to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/defensive-turnaround-puts-robb-smith-in-demand/92623/UQCffKqhoUWApOqdEz0tQA

Boarcephus

"We took care of everyone one of our assistants that I expressed an interest to do so,"

Says it all right there.  We saw it with Ashe and now we're seeing it with Chaney.  Bielema is not afraid to make a change to help the team.  Got to like this.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Give him all the money he wants and what ever else he needs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog_fan

Segrest was actually recommended by Ash. Hired well before Smith was hired.

navyhog24

Quote from: hog_fan on January 15, 2015, 12:51:36 am
Segrest was actually recommended by Ash. Hired well before Smith was hired.

Actually, Coach B liked how Segrest's DL from Samford played when we first played Samford in Bielema's first season. He kept in touch once Coach Partridge got his head coaching gig.

urkillnmesmalls

When this whole thing started, BB was so excited to have an AD that was going to pay market value for assistants so he could keep them from leaving for lateral moves for more money.  I doubt anyone anticipated that Auburn was going to pay Muschamp $1.6M, or whatever ridiculous amount they paid for him.  It's easy to see what Kirby Smart makes and think, "Well...he's been there, he's proven himself, and he's an outlier from the norm."  But...it's starting to be commonplace to pay so much that at some point it starts to be like MLB, where there are teams that can't afford the payroll to compete.  If you're paying your two coordinators a combined $3M, that's a lot of resources.   

It's getting to the point that if you're going to hire coordinators that are getting paid that well, then what's the point in paying out the nose for a head coach who is just going to delegate?  Maybe we'll see schools hire coordinators for 1.5M, and then find a hungry and ambitious up and coming head coach who will delegate and pay him 2M.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.