Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RD's comments from the recruiting forum

Started by IBleedRazorbackRed, January 05, 2015, 01:19:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

It may have escaped the notice of some of you but Bielema came to Arkansas in part to improve his situation with assistant coaches. He took less money when he was hired to leave more money to hire assistants. He expects some loyalty from them because of that.

He understands any of them leaving for a promotion. He doesn't believe Shannon got a promotion even if he added the title of co-defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. Shannon will be doing the same basic job at Florida that he was at Arkansas.

Plus he will now be recruiting directly against Arkansas for another SEC school. Throw that in along with Florida adding the ceremonial title of co-defensive coordinator for the purpose of avoiding paying Shannon's buyout and yeah, I think we can assume that Bielema is a little miffed about this whole thing.

pigture perfect

I can't say I'd blame him either, Mike. It just doesn't sit right to me.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PonderinHog

I wonder if we offered to match Florida's offer, but maybe RS didn't want to sign the non-compete.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 06, 2015, 07:18:41 am
I wonder if we offered to match Florida's offer, but maybe RS didn't want to sign the non-compete.

Doesn't sound like we did in the PC.

The real Hogules

I have no problem with RS leaving for Florida.
I think he did a very fine job while at Arkansas and find it difficult to find fault with a man taking a $150 THOUSAND dollar raise, plus gets to move closer to the place he calls home.
I love coach CBB, but as he and his wife sometimes go over the top, just a tad with their Twitter postings, I think that CBB went a little too far with his comments concerning Shannon's departure.
He could have simply wished RS well and then said that we'd find another great coach to coach our LB'ers without the dig at RS.
His comments sounded too much like sour grapes and as Mike Irwin suggested as if he was miffed that RS chose to leave the UofA.
I hope that CBB does indeed find an even better LB'er coach, but just going by what I witnessed on the field this past Fall that's going to be a TALL order for our head coach.
I'm not suggesting that it's an impossible task, but that not just anyone can fill RS's shoes.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2015, 05:10:15 pm
Shannon is gone because he found another job offer with a $150K raise, and Bret Bielema declined to match. Bielema believes he can find a better fit for the Razorbacks. Was he dissatisfied with Shannon's performance? Did he view Shannon as gone sooner or later + chose sooner? Does he have a really good idea of what kind of coach he can hire? Apparently the answer is yes. This is what the beat guys in Fayetteville are saying today.

Thank you!  I think I'll trust coach to do what's in his best interest, which is in our best interest.

The_Iceman

I think Bielema didn't give Shannon the DC job because he didn't want to lose a DC after 1 or 2 years to a Florida school.

Pork Twain

I think CBB has a solid handle on assistant hires and has given us zero reason to doubt the next hire will be outstanding.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Redhogs

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 06, 2015, 07:27:31 am
I have no problem with RS leaving for Florida.
I think he did a very fine job while at Arkansas and find it difficult to find fault with a man taking a $150 THOUSAND dollar raise, plus gets to move closer to the place he calls home.
I love coach CBB, but as he and his wife sometimes go over the top, just a tad with their Twitter postings, I think that CBB went a little too far with his comments concerning Shannon's departure.
He could have simply wished RS well and then said that we'd find another great coach to coach our LB'ers without the dig at RS.
His comments sounded too much like sour grapes and as Mike Irwin suggested as if he was miffed that RS chose to leave the UofA.
I hope that CBB does indeed find an even better LB'er coach, but just going by what I witnessed on the field this past Fall that's going to be a TALL order for our head coach.
I'm not suggesting that it's an impossible task, but that not just anyone can fill RS's shoes.
If you even understood Mike's post, you would understand that CBB felt betrayed, and justifiably so. And why throw his wife in the mix here when she is not at all applicable to this discussion? I don't defend CBB much on this site, but the man gives and apparently demands loyalty in return...and does not believe it was recipricated in this case. If you look at RS's movements over the last several years, there is a distinct pattern of Randy only looking out for Randy and he apparently lead CBB to believed it might be a little different here...it was not....and he's a bit miffed.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2015, 08:21:25 am
I think CBB has a solid handle on assistant hires and has given us zero reason to doubt the next hire will be outstanding.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2015, 07:03:35 am
Throw that in along with Florida adding the ceremonial title of co-defensive coordinator for the purpose of avoiding paying Shannon's buyout and yeah, I think we can assume that Bielema is a little miffed about this whole thing.

Miffed, yes, but disappointed, I don't think so, outside of the loyalty thing. TCU did not seem to be that devastated when he left.

urkillnmesmalls

It may have escaped the notice of some of you but Bielema came to Arkansas in part to improve his situation with assistant coaches. He took less money when he was hired to leave more money to hire assistants. He expects some loyalty from them because of that.

He understands any of them leaving for a promotion. He doesn't believe Shannon got a promotion even if he added the title of co-defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. Shannon will be doing the same basic job at Florida that he was at Arkansas.

Plus he will now be recruiting directly against Arkansas for another SEC school. Throw that in along with Florida adding the ceremonial title of co-defensive coordinator for the purpose of avoiding paying Shannon's buyout and yeah, I think we can assume that Bielema is a little miffed about this whole thing.

I took some heat for saying that I thought the comments sounded like there was at least an undertone of resentment.  Something didn't go quite like CBB would have liked it to have gone...that seems evident. 

Seemed a little "sour grape-ish" to me.  It may be a little more bold than some Hog fans like, but it wasn't like he trashed him.  He just said what he intends to do...find an even better coach.  That's the SAME EXACT thing our fans would want to hear about our next coaching search from Jeff Long, or whoever the AD is at the time.  No one wants to hear, "We'll try to find a better coach, but it's sure going to be tough to replace him." 

Still...sometimes I do wonder if BB thinks about what it's going to sound like given the circumstances.  It's not trashing RS, but it sure didn't come across as praise for what he did either. That was glossed over quickly, and then the focus was on his complete confidence he can hire better.  But hey...that's his style, and it won't change.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PorkRinds

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 06, 2015, 09:22:52 am
I took some heat for saying that I thought the comments sounded like there was at least an undertone of resentment.  Something didn't go quite like CBB would have liked it to have gone...that seems evident. 

Seemed a little "sour grape-ish" to me.  It may be a little more bold than some Hog fans like, but it wasn't like he trashed him.  He just said what he intends to do...find an even better coach.  That's the SAME EXACT thing our fans would want to hear about our next coaching search from Jeff Long, or whoever the AD is at the time.  No one wants to hear, "We'll try to find a better coach, but it's sure going to be tough to replace him." 

Still...sometimes I do wonder if BB thinks about what it's going to sound like given the circumstances.  It's not trashing RS, but it sure didn't come across as praise for what he did either. That was glossed over quickly, and then the focus was on his complete confidence he can hire better.  But hey...that's his style, and it won't change.

I like his style.  Why sugar coat it?  If he feels like it was underhanded, let it be known.  Obviously sitting and whining about it isn't good, but the way he did it was pretty masterful really.  Display your dissatisfaction but keep it professional.

Pork Twain

I wonder if BB said, "Randy, there are a lot of teams out there, do me a favor and don't got an SEC team." and Randy said, "You have my word."

Could have happened...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

forrest city joe

Quote from: Redhogs on January 06, 2015, 08:57:05 am
If you even understood Mike's post, you would understand that CBB felt betrayed, and justifiably so. And why throw his wife in the mix here when she is not at all applicable to this discussion? I don't defend CBB much on this site, but the man gives and apparently demands loyalty in return...and does not believe it was recipricated in this case. If you look at RS's movements over the last several years, there is a distinct pattern of Randy only looking out for Randy and he apparently lead CBB to believed it might be a little different here...it was not....and he's a bit miffed.
I am a big coach B fan. but no matter if he felt betrayed or not, Randy Shannon did what he thought was best for he and his family. and let's face it. it is easier to recruit great Florida players to Florida than it is to Arkansas. like it or not, it is a better job as far as recruiting goes. coach B will hire another good LB coach.

DeltaBoy

What ever happened he is gone to FLA and we got to fill a spot on the staff.  But I trust CBB to find the right man for the job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 06, 2015, 09:25:54 am
I like his style.  Why sugar coat it?  If he feels like it was underhanded, let it be known.  Obviously sitting and whining about it isn't good, but the way he did it was pretty masterful really.  Display your dissatisfaction but keep it professional.

Thing about him is...you can read his body language like a book.  You could tell he was annoyed by something, and he wouldn't have had to say much of anything. 

I think it has been shown...he's just going to say it.  He's not out to appease the PC police...that's for sure.  I like it too, but again, he has to back it up now.  We'll see if he can... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

oldhawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 06, 2015, 09:22:52 am

Sounded kinda "Barry Alvarezish."  Bielema was, after all, under Alvarez's tutelage for seven or eight years. 

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 06, 2015, 08:59:45 am
Miffed, yes, but disappointed, I don't think so, outside of the loyalty thing. TCU did not seem to be that devastated when he left.

Well, TCU wasn't relying on him to help recruit Florida, that said, I don't think we'll miss his LB coaching.

Redhogs

Agreed.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: oldhawg on January 06, 2015, 09:48:56 am
Sounded kinda "Barry Alvarezish."  Bielema was, after all, under Alvarez's tutelage for seven or eight years. 

I agree.  I love Bielema and I have supported him from Day One. 

But this is just a flaw of his: it's unnecessary for him to air dirty laundry and to get into spats with Malzahn and people like that.  I initially thought the "horns down" pic was another example of it.

If you are outspoken and then back it up with wins, then people get a kick out of the cockiness a la Steve Spurrier when he was dominating at Florida.  But it's a fine line.

Having said that, I do appreciate his unapologetic manner in most situations.  And I can appreciate him saying that when someone leaves, we're going to replace them with someone better.  You want that attitude in a coach. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2015, 11:08:21 am

But this is just a flaw of his: it's unnecessary for him to air dirty laundry and to get into spats with Malzahn and people like that.  I initially thought the "horns down" pic was another example of it.

If you are outspoken and then back it up with wins, then people get a kick out of the cockiness a la Steve Spurrier when he was dominating at Florida.  But it's a fine line.

Having said that, I do appreciate his unapologetic manner in most situations.  And I can appreciate him saying that when someone leaves, we're going to replace them with someone better.  You want that attitude in a coach.

He didn't air any dirty laundry.  Remember this entire thing is folks reading into what he said.  He never flat out expressed any dissatisfaction with Randy Shannon. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 06, 2015, 11:15:34 am
He didn't air any dirty laundry.  Remember this entire thing is folks reading into what he said.  He never flat out expressed any dissatisfaction with Randy Shannon. 
Agreed...  Do people expect CBB to say, "Well Randy was great and there is no way we will hire anyone better and no way the next guy will ever be better than him as either a recruiter or LB coach."  He never said one bad thing about or directed at Randy.  He merely stated confidently that the next hire would make us better.

I like a coach that is confident in his hires.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2015, 11:26:22 am
Agreed...  Do people expect CBB to say, "Well Randy was great and there is no way we will hire anyone better and no way the next guy will ever be better than him as either a recruiter or LB coach."

Exactly.  Coach wears his emotions on his sleeve, for better or for worse.  If he's truly ticked off about it, he did pretty well being reserved about his feelings on the matter. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 06, 2015, 11:15:34 am

And maybe the Shannon thing is not an example of it.  But I'm just saying that Bielema has that tendency.

I did not watch the PC, but I read his comments and he did end up saying some nice things about Shannon.  He stated that he was great to work with and was a lot of fun.

Pork Twain

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2015, 11:31:00 am
And maybe the Shannon thing is not an example of it.  But I'm just saying that Bielema has that tendency.

I did not watch the PC, but I read his comments and he did end up saying some nice things about Shannon.  He stated that he was great to work with and was a lot of fun.
Sooo....

skbhog

Shannon was here in 2013 defense was ranked 76 and linebacker play was so so. Rob Smith comes in and the defense was ranked 10 with great linebacker play. 

immahog

Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2015, 05:20:06 pm
I would at least take a look at who Louisville has recruiting Florida. Can't hurt.

that would be tyrell buckley
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Wildhog

Quote from: skbhog on January 06, 2015, 11:44:16 am
Shannon was here in 2013 defense was ranked 76 and linebacker play was so so. Rob Smith comes in and the defense was ranked 10 with great linebacker play. 

I blame 2013 on inexperience, some players not buying in, and Chris Ash.  Shannon's a great LB coach.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Robb Smith Bio: There is a lot of LB coaching in there.

Last season in Tampa Bay, Smith coached second-year linebacker Lavonte David. David was named a first-team All-Pro in 2013, one of just 12 defensive players in the NFL recognized on the first-team defense, after he started all 16 games and recorded 144 tackles, including 6.0 sacks, five interceptions, 10 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Since sacks became an official statistic in 1982, David was the first linebacker in NFL history and third player to register at least 100 tackles with at least six sacks and five or more interceptions in a season, joining Rodney Harrison in 2000 and Dave Duerson in 1986.

The 2012 season saw Rutgers claim its first conference title since 1961 and the fifth in school history. Rutgers allowed just 91 points against seven Big East opponents in Smith's season as defensive coordinator, which ranked as the eight-lowest total in conference history. The defense held opponents to 95.2 rushing yards per game, which marked only the third time in school history the Scarlet Knights kept the opponent average below 100 yards.

While at Rutgers, Smith coached linebacker Khaseem Greene who became an All-American and was selected in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. As a junior in 2011, Greene switched from safety to weak side linebacker. He led the Big East Conference with 141 tackles, 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. As a senior in 2012, Greene recorded 136 tackles, including 12 for loss with six sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and three fumble recoveries with two returned for touchdowns. He was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year and was named a first-team All-American by ESPN. Greene's 15 career forced fumbles stand as the NCAA record.

Prior to 2012, Smith served in various capacities on the Rutgers staff including special teams coordinator and linebackers coach in 2011, special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach in 2010 and special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach in 2009.

DukeOfPork

Bielema did say this:
"...We took care of every one of our assistants that I expressed an interest to do so. And every one of those guys is staying put..."

So that does not put RS in a good light.

But Bielema also said this:
"Randy has a great reputation in the state of Florida, especially as a recruiter and a long-standing history as a football coach at Miami," Bielema said. "Enjoyed our two years with him. A lot of fun to be around and a really, really good guy. He had an opportunity to take what he felt was a better opportunity with Florida in the other division in the path of his career and success. Wish him all the best."

So I call it a wash.  Next...

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/bielema-smith-signed-new-contract#sthash.AcXYAkhp.dpuf

Hoggish1

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2015, 07:52:14 pm
I thought Shannon's buyout at Miami prohibited him taking a DC or HC position.

That's exactly the case.

Every time RS leaves a place or goes to a place where he is not the DC, folks continue to not remember that he is prohibited from being a DC if he wants his $ from Miami. 

I note he is still not THE DC at Florida.  Co DC gets him past the Miami stipulation, so he continues to get his $...

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 07, 2015, 09:09:07 am
That's exactly the case.

Every time RS leaves a place or goes to a place where he is not the DC, folks continue to not remember that he is prohibited from being a DC if he wants his $ from Miami. 

I note he is still not THE DC at Florida.  Co DC gets him past the Miami stipulation, so he continues to get his $...
When does his buyout clause with the U expire? I keep hearing it was over a year ago

Hoggish1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 06, 2015, 09:32:57 am
I am a big coach B fan. but no matter if he felt betrayed or not, Randy Shannon did what he thought was best for he and his family. and let's face it. it is easier to recruit great Florida players to Florida than it is to Arkansas. like it or not, it is a better job as far as recruiting goes. coach B will hire another good LB coach.

It's truly easier to recruit Florida players to Florida than to Arkansas but I'm with CBB on getting a better coach for Arkansas, not just another good LB coach.  We aim to be better than Florida, not just as good!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 06, 2015, 09:33:18 am
What ever happened he is gone to FLA and we got to fill a spot on the staff.  But I trust CBB to find the right man for the job.

But coach is from the north..........so doesn't that make him a Yankee in your eyes? You confuse us sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog N Bama

Mike pretty much sums it up IMO. It's obvious if you think about it. Pretty dirty move.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 07, 2015, 09:09:07 am
That's exactly the case.

Sorry but I'm calling BS on this rumor.  That buyout would have expired with the term of the contract or at least be pro-rated.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-02-15/sports/bs-sp-terps-randy-shannon-0216-20110215_1_randy-shannon-buyout-maryland-position

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7244073/former-miami-hurricanes-coach-randy-shannon-says-wants-coach-again

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/randy-shannon-rejects-maryland-unemployment-better-business-decision.html;_ylt=AwrBT9DKT61UXX0AmONXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZjUxa2FpBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTEEY29sbwNiZjEEdnRpZANTTUU2MTJfMQ--

Pig in the Pokey

I want to believe this so bad but how the hell are we 11th out of 14 in assistant salaries then??? With a National Top 10 Forbes ranking for profit
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 06, 2015, 09:32:57 am
it's not 'he and his family'. It's just he and his purple M5.
@Slackaveli

Hog N Bama

Exactly. I like CBB's style in all his PC's. And this one did not disappoint.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 06, 2015, 11:08:21 am

passive people may not like it. I LOVE it! He ain't SCARE.
@Slackaveli

PorkRinds

Jamie Jones

Co-DC means absolutely nothing; other than, as Mike stated, it saves the buyout. This was a purely monetary move for RS. It get him closer to home with a bigger paycheck. RS is a lot better recruiter than a coach, IMO. I really saw the difference in our defense being associated with the hire of Robb Smith. I think Robb will have a very heavy influence on who replaces RS on the staff, whether that is DB or LB coach.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

arsuperhog

Here are my top 3 choices for LB coach and chief Florida recruiter

1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Howard Schellenberger
3. Dwayne "the rock" Johnson

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2015, 11:03:20 am
Correct, ended Jan. 31, 2014.
Also, if this Co-DC title would have gotten him out of our buy-out, it would have caused him to forfeit the Miami buy-out.  You cannot have it both ways.

FBREW000

No... he isn't married....

His personal info is easily googled, there is an article that is a pretty good write up on his days in Miami, his detachment from other family members, dealing with inner city struggles, etc...

hoglady

Beliema may have every reason in the world to be miffed.
We sure don't know. Unless you're privy to conversations they've had over the last 2 years it's impossible to know.
Over now.
Good luck to Shannon except recruiting and playing against Arkansas.
Beliema learned a lesson that will benefit us from here on out.
The SEC is brutal regarding coaches going from one team to another within the conference.
Just look at what's already happened this year.
We won't have that problem much going forward.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: arsuperhog on January 07, 2015, 10:38:52 am
Here are my top 3 choices for LB coach and chief Florida recruiter

1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Howard Schellenberger
3. Dwayne "the rock" Johnson

Johnson's a USC-W guy.

Pork Twain