Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RD's comments from the recruiting forum

Started by IBleedRazorbackRed, January 05, 2015, 01:19:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IBleedRazorbackRed

"Shannon to Fla has been in the works for a few weeks. This is no surprise. Expect Arkansas to continue to recruit S. Fla.

Recruiting may or may not take a a hit this year but I expect the new hire will have strong ties in the area.

Expect good news soon."

Doesn't sound like it will be Buh from what he posted there.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

tuskaloosa

I have been very disapointed in learning of the news of Randy Shannon going to Florida. I'm 31 years old. Don't even remember my first Cotton Bowls games vs. UCLA and Tennessee. My first memory was a game in Fayetteville vs. Houston. Steve Atwater intercepted a pass to win the game. Since then I have enjoyed watching players like kennoy Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, Sam Olijabutu(hope spelling is correct), and others. This year was the first time in a long time that I felt like that smash mouth defensive mentality was back in full force. We are not just losing Randy Shannon, we are are losing a mentor, friend, and the best recruiter in the state of Florida. I know that Rob Smith was a big part of this defense getting better, but it seemed like Randy layed the foundation. He will be missed.

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

PorkRinds

Quote from: tuskaloosa on January 05, 2015, 01:36:20 pm
I have been very disapointed in learning of the news of Randy Shannon going to Florida. I'm 31 years old. Don't even remember my first Cotton Bowls games vs. UCLA and Tennessee. My first memory was a game in Fayetteville vs. Houston. Steve Atwater intercepted a pass to win the game. Since then I have enjoyed watching players like kennoy Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, Sam Olijabutu(hope spelling is correct), and others. This year was the first time in a long time that I felt like that smash mouth defensive mentality was back in full force. We are not just losing Randy Shannon, we are are losing a mentor, friend, and the best recruiter in the state of Florida. I know that Rob Smith was a big part of this defense getting better, but it seemed like Randy layed the foundation. He will be missed.

Um...No.  He wasn't the best recruiter in the state of Florida.  But he will be missed.  We will find someone worthy of taking his place.

tuskaloosa

My bad, one of the best recruiters in Florida. I really hope our AD, HC, DC, and players can move on after becoming so close with Randy. They are going to miss him more than us.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

secneahog

How about people post possible names. Pretty easy to post garbage.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

JaketheSnake

HappyFan

Dick Butkus for the next LB coach.  ;) :razorback:

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: tuskaloosa on January 05, 2015, 01:56:22 pm
My bad, one of the best recruiters in Florida. I really hope our AD, HC, DC, and players can move on after becoming so close with Randy. They are going to miss him more than us.
sounds like you're going to miss him more than anyone. He isn't irreplacable.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Three and Snout

Biggus Piggus

Shannon is gone because he found another job offer with a $150K raise, and Bret Bielema declined to match. Bielema believes he can find a better fit for the Razorbacks. Was he dissatisfied with Shannon's performance? Did he view Shannon as gone sooner or later + chose sooner? Does he have a really good idea of what kind of coach he can hire? Apparently the answer is yes. This is what the beat guys in Fayetteville are saying today.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Uh, they'll live. Given that they chose not to try to keep him.
[CENSORED]!

texas tush hog

Quote from: secneahog on January 05, 2015, 02:06:42 pm
How about people post possible names. Pretty easy to post garbage.

How bout Tyrell Buckley at Louisville. Great corners coach and Robb could take over linebackers, just speculating. One of just nine Fla. State players to have their numbers retired.  Deion Sanders, Fred Biletnikoff, and a couple of Heisman trophy winning quarterbacks (Not Jameis) were some others.

jackflash

I would at least take a look at who Louisville has recruiting Florida. Can't hurt.

tophawg19

i think CBB has had this in mind for a while and unless i miss my guess based on his comments, may already have someone lined up. He says he can get a better LB coach and a better fit. Is it possible he is happy Shannon moved on? Coach speak or a shot fired at R.S ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

texas tush hog

January 05, 2015, 05:27:31 pm #20 Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:07:01 pm by texas tush hog
Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2015, 05:20:06 pm
I would at least take a look at who Louisville has recruiting Florida. Can't hurt.

Buckley and WR coach Lamar Thomas.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2015, 05:10:15 pm
Shannon is gone because he found another job offer with a $150K raise, and Bret Bielema declined to match. Bielema believes he can find a better fit for the Razorbacks. Was he dissatisfied with Shannon's performance? Did he view Shannon as gone sooner or later + chose sooner? Does he have a really good idea of what kind of coach he can hire? Apparently the answer is yes. This is what the beat guys in Fayetteville are saying today.
Sounds good to me.  Sometimes really good coaches are just not a good fit for certain systems at the price they command
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2015, 05:10:15 pm
Thanks biggus. You always give good info
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Locutus_of_Boar

TCU seems to have survived Shannon's departure without too much difficulty and I expect Arkansas will as well.

hogsfan31

I think that maybe you don't know what you're talking about after reading some comments from Coach Bielema.

Inhogswetrust

Maybe he will be missed...........however that doesn't mean we won't get someone just as good or better.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2015, 05:20:06 pm

In that case they need to call Charlie and ask who he had doing it...........assuming he'll take the call.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 05, 2015, 05:44:18 pm
TCU seems to have survived Shannon's departure without too much difficulty and I expect Arkansas will as well.

Bumpus did not seem all that devastated when Shannon left, but like to have  had heart failure when Jennings left.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2015, 06:00:17 pm
In that case they need to call Charlie and ask who he had doing it...........assuming he'll take the call.
No need to call, this is them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 05, 2015, 06:04:47 pm
Bumpus did not seem all that devastated when Shannon left, but like to have  had heart failure when Jennings left.

And I sure as heck would trust Bumpas's thoughts and reaction over fans on a message board anytime.........................

greenie

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 05, 2015, 05:44:18 pm

This is a great point.  This guy was a great guy, a good position coach and great recruiter to a certain type of player.  There are several good position coaches and niche recruiters out there to be had.  CBB will land one. 

I really liked Shannon, but he'll be happier in his home state with a better paying job.

Inhogswetrust

texas tush hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2015, 06:10:37 pm
Thanks for the reply but obviously I was joking.

Same here. I would love to have both, but as with anything else Jeffie has a hand, in I have to quote Sargeant Schultz " I know nothing, nothing." LOL

TMc

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 05, 2015, 05:26:53 pm
i think CBB has had this in mind for a while and unless i miss my guess based on his comments, may already have someone lined up. He says he can get a better LB coach and a better fit. Is it possible he is happy Shannon moved on? Coach speak or a shot fired at R.S ?

I don't really know what to make of that. You can read into that a lot - and I don't know if we'll ever know the answer there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 05, 2015, 05:26:53 pm

Well said...

;)

Biggus Piggus

"There is no doubt in my mind we will hire a better linebacker coach."
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

I am going to act like this never happened

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 05, 2015, 05:29:39 pm
Sounds good to me.  Sometimes really good coaches are just not a good fit for certain systems at the price they command

At any price if they don't fit!

Hogman2

urkillnmesmalls

RS was canned at Miami, and he's been toiling around as a LB coach now for quite awhile since.  That's a fairly big career drop off.  It could be that he likes the lesser role, and that's his comfort zone.  It could also be that there's a reason he's a LB coach after not making it as a HC. 

I was very surprised that BB made those comments.  He definitely made it sound like it wasn't the best of relationships and/or terms that RS left on.  I figure sometimes it's best just to leave things unsaid, but he had some comments that surprised me beyond just thanking him for his time here. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 05, 2015, 07:39:59 pm
RS was canned at Miami, and he's been toiling around as a LB coach now for quite awhile since.  That's a fairly big career drop off.  It could be that he likes the lesser role, and that's his comfort zone.  It could also be that there's a reason he's a LB coach after not making it as a HC. 

I was very surprised that BB made those comments.  He definitely made it sound like it wasn't the best of relationships and/or terms that RS left on.  I figure sometimes it's best just to leave things unsaid, but he had some comments that surprised me beyond just thanking him for his time here. 
Well, what do you want the next guy to think, that he sucks? He said that every time someone leaves, it gives him the opportunity to do his job to improve the staff, I think he's just saying he expects to do that. He's all in for us, it may not last 5 years, but right now, he's all in.

PonderinHog

I thought Shannon's buyout at Miami prohibited him taking a DC or HC position.

Tim Harris

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 05, 2015, 06:08:33 pm
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2015, 06:00:17 pm
No need to call, this is them.

Charlie also had Clint Hurtt on statf to recruit S FL.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2015, 07:52:14 pm

That ended January 31, 2014.

Tim Harris

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2015, 07:52:14 pm

Unless I missed something that has never been proven that it existed outside of message board talk.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 05, 2015, 07:55:41 pm
Unless I missed something that has never been proven that it existed outside of message board talk.
Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2015, 07:54:31 pm
That ended January 31, 2014.
Hmmmm.  I thought he sued them to get his money.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2015, 08:01:43 pm
Hmmmm.  I thought he sued them to get his money.

He did, but it had stipulations.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2015, 07:44:41 pm
Well, what do you want the next guy to think, that he sucks? He said that every time someone leaves, it gives him the opportunity to do his job to improve the staff, I think he's just saying he expects to do that. He's all in for us, it may not last 5 years, but right now, he's all in.

Why would the next guy think he sucks?  I'm not expecting him to say that we'll never find a replacement of the caliber of RS and then hire a scrub.  The way it was said just made me feel like there may have been at least a little hint of resentment, and it surprised me.  It doesn't matter either way, and I agree that he has to try to find an even better coach to replace him.  I would expect that to be his only goal.  It doesn't mean it's going to happen...that was a rare situation.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Biggus Piggus

Shannon coached two years under two DCs. Before that, worked under The Man DC Dick Bumpas. Not necessarily what he wanted to be doing, long term.
[CENSORED]!