Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have we as CFB fans been cheated over the years regarding the CFB postseason?

Started by Sweet Feet, April 30, 2017, 04:48:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

From the Poll era to now (1936-present), I can't help but feel we have missed out on a lot of potential great games and the chance to have undisputed national champions.

The main unique thing with FBS football for the past 100+ years is bowls. Bowl games for the most part have been nothing but  irrelevant beauty contests with nothing significant about them other than a participation trophy and exposure. Of course we only have bowl games because of money and greed.

Regarding the method of determining a champion, we have had to let polls and human bias and opinion (Which changes and varies) choose a national champion for most of the Poll Era rather than letting it be proven on the field, sometimes having shared titles. Most bowl games it was never #1 vs #2. It wasn't until around the late 60s, polls started crowning champions after bowl games. It wasn't until the 90s when we finally had championship games between the #1 and #2 teams. Now from 2014 and on, we finally have something that college football has been missing out on all of its history: A playoff.

I don't care for the 4-team playoff format (Not enough teams, nor is it a true FBS playoff) but its a hell of a lot better and exciting than what CFB has had for 140+ years. Every level of football has and have had a decent sized playoff through out history. I don't understand why Division 1 football has been so ass-backwards regarding a playoff format. I would have loved to see an 8 team playoff every year from the 60s up to now. Would have silenced a lot of arguments and "what-ifs" and would have set up of a bunch of awesome games and memories. Hell I think Arkansas would've had the chance to be undisputed national champs more than once in the 60s and 70s.

That's just my take on the Postseason history of Division 1 CFB. I think we have been robbed of great postseason games and potential undisputed national champions because of the lack of an efficient playoff format that every other level and sport has. But either way, I'm just glad we are making progress now by atleast having a playoff.

Dr. Starcs

HiggiePiggy

Yep college football finally got a true way of playing it on the field. Now it just needs to increase the amount of teams. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hawghiggs

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 06:09:33 pm
Nothing was wrong with the BCS. The playoff is a waste of time.

There were a few times when the BCS got it wrong.

hogsanity

Until the only way to get in is a set way to win your way in it will still be purely subjective and still at the whim of people picking the teams who get to play for the "nc".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on April 30, 2017, 07:46:06 pm
Until the only way to get in is a set way to win your way in it will still be purely subjective and still at the whim of people picking the teams who get to play for the "nc".

I agree. I think what should be done is take the power 5 conference champions and 3 at large and play an 8 game playoff.  I still think what is in place now is better than what was before it. Just like the BCS was better than what was before that. 

HiggiePiggy

They also need to get rid of the committee that decides who plays and who doesn't. 

HiggiePiggy

Another thing is if they still want to have a lot of teams playing then make secondary or more playoffs like the nit in college basketball.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 06:16:14 pm

Or teams get lucky.  LSU 2007, loses to Kentucky and Ar and still plays for and wins natl championship.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 06:16:14 pm

More often than not the BCS got it right. The biggest problem with the BCS system was lack of access. Which has become an even bigger problem in the playoff era. What needed to be done was the addition of the Cotton and the Capital one bowls added to the BCS. This would have allowed more access to current G5 programs.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2017, 08:24:07 pm
More often than not the BCS got it right.
The BCS would've had Alabama and Florida State in the National Title Game in 2014. Food for thought

East Clintwood

I liked the old way better.

I enjoy all of the arguing and debate about who the "true" national champion is.  It keeps things interesting.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 30, 2017, 07:54:30 pm
I agree. I think what should be done is take the power 5 conference champions and 3 at large and play an 8 game playoff.  I still think what is in place now is better than what was before it. Just like the BCS was better than what was before that. 

Get rid of OOC games with any team OTHER than a Power 5, plus make the 3 at large spots Wildcard games and play for those too. I would like to see fewer regular season games and more play offs.!!

Can you imagine conf runner-ups playing for the wildcard spots.!? Awesome...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 01, 2017, 08:45:29 am
Get rid of OOC games with any team OTHER than a Power 5, plus make the 3 at large spots Wildcard games and play for those too. I would like to see fewer regular season games and more play offs.!!

Can you imagine conf runner-ups playing for the wildcard spots.!? Awesome...

Yep cut the regular season back to 10 games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 30, 2017, 10:03:01 pm
The BCS would've had Alabama and Florida State in the National Title Game in 2014. Food for thought

So?

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 01, 2017, 08:54:53 am
Yep cut the regular season back to 10 games.

There is no way, NO WAY, the schools are going to take away at least 1, and probably 2 home games and the money that goes with those. Also, the rent a win schools are not going to give up that revenue they get from being a sacrificial lamb once or twice a year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Frankly, I was just fine with the BCS.  Hell, I was just fine with the pre-BCS old days where we relied on reporters/coaches votes and everyone 'guessed' at who was actually best.  I mean, does it really freekin matter?  We're not electing Commanders in Chiefs here.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on May 01, 2017, 12:30:23 pm
Frankly, I was just fine with the BCS.  Hell, I was just fine with the pre-BCS old days where we relied on reporters/coaches votes and everyone 'guessed' at who was actually best.  I mean, does it really freekin matter?  We're not electing Commanders in Chiefs here.

Yep. Bowls could invite whoever they wanted ( very few had a tie in to one side much less two ), if the Liberty wanted a 4-7 Hog team they could have them come play.

So many here decry ESPn, yet it was ESPN that convinced everyone we needed the bcs and then a playoff, and people just fell for it hook line and sinker.

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 12:46:09 pm
Yep. Bowls could invite whoever they wanted ( very few had a tie in to one side much less two ), if the Liberty wanted a 4-7 Hog team they could have them come play.

So many here decry ESPn, yet it was ESPN that convinced everyone we needed the bcs and then a playoff, and people just fell for it hook line and sinker.

"Get off my lawn" and all that....  Lots of guys like us were not doing backflips when the playoff was announced (which I like it OK, I watch college football in any form so in the end I don't really care), but giving someone a hard time because "you don't like change" is silly sometimes.  You see it all the time.  But listen young bucks, it's not an age thing, it's just that many of us didn't really see a huge advantage to going with a playoff (other than that TV money).  New is not always better - hey, a bunch of us (then youngsters ourselves) didn't like "New" Coke back in the day either.....:)

hogsanity

How have we been cheated? We get 30+ "extra" football games to watch, and just like the regular season some of them are good games and some are not.

Sweet Feet

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 01, 2017, 02:09:50 pm
So the playoffs did get it right when the BCS would've got it wrong

Why would that have been the "wrong" matchup? Sure, in hindsight, we can say " well Bama and FSU lost in the semi's " but at the time there was no way to say, definitively, that Bama/FSU was wrong.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:16:17 pm
Why would that have been the "wrong" matchup? Sure, in hindsight, we can say " well Bama and FSU lost in the semi's " but at the time there was no way to say, definitively, that Bama/FSU was wrong.
There was no way to prove that Ohio St was truly the better team either at the time.  Hindsight or not, all of this was proven objectively on the field it would have been the wrong matchup.

That's the beauty of a playoff. Contrary to popular belief, the #1 and #2 teams (which are subjectively chosen at that position) aren't always the best 2 teams just because a group of people and pollsters say they are.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 01, 2017, 02:24:17 pm
There was no way to prove that Ohio St was truly the better team either at the time.  Hindsight or not, all of this was proven objectively on the field it would have been the wrong matchup.

That's the beauty of a playoff. Contrary to popular belief, the #1 and #2 teams (which are subjectively chosen at that position) aren't always the best 2 teams just because a group of people and pollsters say they are.

Yet a group of people determine who gets into the playoff to start with. That is my problem with it. Set a criteria for teams to win their way in, WITHOUT people being involved in the selection.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 01, 2017, 02:24:17 pm

Ohio state got beat by a lousy Virginia team that year. They would have been just fine playing in the Rose bowl.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 01, 2017, 03:46:50 pm
Ohio state got beat by a lousy Virginia team that year. They would have been just fine playing in the Rose bowl.
And turned around and beat #1 and #2 back to back. So nope they deserved to be in that playoff and to be a champion since they proved it on the field when the time was given

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 02:27:29 pm
Yet a group of people determine who gets into the playoff to start with. That is my problem with it. Set a criteria for teams to win their way in, WITHOUT people being involved in the selection.
Now this I totally agree. Just like every other level of football outside of college, which is why I like autobids. only issue is how would you get an independent in?

247Hog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 01, 2017, 05:37:46 pm
Now this I totally agree. Just like every other level of football outside of college, which is why I like autobids. only issue is how would you get an independent in?

Tell them to join a conference (plenty of them out there) or good luck getting 1 of the 3 autobids.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 01, 2017, 05:37:46 pm

When people talk of independents in college football, they mean Notre Dame. There are only a handful of independents, and ND is the only one that is ever going to have a legit shot at making the playoff. ND can either cling to the farce they portray about why they are independent, when we all know it is money and abiity to schedule favorably, or they can join a conference and play for an autobid ( if we are in a world where that is how you get in ).

Sweet Feet

I think the best way to go is 16 teams. 10 autobids for conference champions winning their way in, and 6 at larges that would have been top 10 teams

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 02, 2017, 03:36:42 pm
I think the best way to go is 16 teams. 10 autobids for conference champions winning their way in, and 6 at larges that would have been top 10 teams

so we are still having 6 teams picked by a committee? Why not just 8 auto bids, period? * teams who win their way in by winning their league. acc, big10, big12, sec, pac12, get byes, and then the mac, aac, conf usa, mt west, sunbelt and the highest ranked independent play 1st round games. That would leave us with 8 teams after the 1st weekend.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hogsanity on May 02, 2017, 04:18:02 pm
so we are still having 6 teams picked by a committee? Why not just 8 auto bids, period? * teams who win their way in by winning their league. acc, big10, big12, sec, pac12, get byes, and then the mac, aac, conf usa, mt west, sunbelt and the highest ranked independent play 1st round games. That would leave us with 8 teams after the 1st weekend.
So in general it would actually be an 11 team playoff. Based off ranking, last year's first games would have been like this..

San Diego St vs Western Kentucky --- Winner plays Alabama
Temple vs Appalachian St ---- Winner plays plays Clemson
Western Michigan vs BYU (best independent) -----Winner plays Penn St
Washington vs Oklahoma would have been a 2nd round game

My only issue is as an Independent, Notre Dame would probably have the easiest trips to the playoffs every year since they are seen as a P5. Not to mention not all independents play each other.

Also, say#1 Alabama is 12-0 and say Missouri is 7-5 as the Eastern Division champs. If both play in the SECCG and Missouri miraculously wins and Bama loses a playoff spot, that's not gonna resonate too well among CFB fans I would think, seeing 8-5 Missouri in the CFP and Bama sitting at home at 12-1.

HiggiePiggy

Take the winners of each division. Big 12 will be represented with 1 team until they have 2 divisions.

Inhogswetrust

"The playoffs aren't done correctly thread"...............I've never seen one of those before................no wait nevermind.

What's next a "uniform" thread or "band " thread?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LRRandy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2017, 06:39:11 am
"The playoffs aren't done correctly thread"...............I've never seen one of those before................no wait nevermind.

how about a CFP game in War Memorial stadium because central Arkansas doesn't get any respect from the wine and cheese crowd in NWA.
This is fun, isn't it.

mlloyd4

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 30, 2017, 04:48:45 pm
It wasn't until around the late 60s, polls started crowning champions after bowl games.
I would think that most Hog fans know the exact year.
WPS

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRRandy on May 04, 2017, 06:43:14 am
how about a CFP game in War Memorial stadium because central Arkansas doesn't get any respect from the wine and cheese crowd in NWA.

No kidding! How about a "let's get out of the SEC and join the little 12" thread.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 04, 2017, 06:39:11 am

You are always bitching about something lol are you a female?

PorkSoda

Im fine with the playoff system, I was fine with the BCS system, I was fine with the pre BCS bowl system.

I think too much emphasis is put on naming a "true" national champion, whatever that is.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

Did the NCAA even officially recognize a champion before the BCS?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 04, 2017, 04:33:32 pm
You are always bitching about something lol are you a female?

I don't do that except for those that deserve it and your posts usually makes it deservedly easy to do. If I did it as much as you think I do then I wouldn't have hung around here long enough to have as many posts as I have had. I've only been warned once since I've been on here. A MOD thought i got a little too personal about dogging someones religion. When I looked back at my post he was right.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogsanity on May 01, 2017, 12:46:09 pm

I just miss the old BCS theme. The college playoff theme is absolutely horrible. Doesn't even sound like football
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 05, 2017, 05:44:36 am
Did the NCAA even officially recognize a champion before the BCS?

No . . . and this is what most - especially, those under 40 - don't get.  ALL National Champions . . . including those "named" by the AP and UPI (ancestor of today's USA Today/Coaches Poll) . . . were and are "mythical" National Champions.  As in "someone that was named National Champion by one of the several entities doing so, but NOT official".

Here are a couple of good links to read about this subject.

"(before the BCS), college football's championships were handed out by voters — the Associated Press and Coaches polls are the most well known, but nearly 40 organizations have claimed to crown national champions.

From 1936-1999 — the beginning of the AP Poll through the first BCS season — only 11 of the 64 college football seasons produced consensus national champions. Out of this chaos, six teams claimed national titles in 1981 and five teams claimed titles in six different seasons."

http://theweek.com/articles/598661/bizarre-confusing-ways-college-football-picked-champion

http://deadspin.com/5975168/the-definitive-list-of-actual-no-bull-college-football-national-champions-or-why-alabama-is-a-liar

http://www.tiptop25.com/index.html

http://www.tiptop25.com/fixedpolls.html

DLUXHOG

well, guess you've all figured it out by now, that it's all about $$$$$$$$$
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 05, 2017, 07:39:40 am
I just miss the old BCS theme. The college playoff theme is absolutely horrible. Doesn't even sound like football

Really. Playoffs don't sound like football?

LZH

Wasn't there a magazine that declared Arkansas the national champion in 1977?

TUSKtimes

I was plenty tired of all the politicking before the BCS. Having the term "Mythical" was only half of it, getting beat out of an opportunity to match up with a team right next to you in the polls because your conference was affiliated with a different bowl was ridiculous and just added insult to injury. That's why #1 and #2 meeting in a bowl for all the marbles was like mathematically hitting the lotto.

No thanks, BCS at least was trying and did consistently match up the 2 best teams. 4 team playoff seems more than fair.

Inhogswetrust