Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something's not right in this Mallett deal.

Started by Porkyswine, January 06, 2008, 10:45:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

secfan1

Thats part of it and thats what competition is for.  I know some of you are worried that Mallet would come in and take the job away from Wilson after he gets to start as a freshman like some people think.  If Wilson is the Mustain that some believe then he should thrive for this competition to make him better.

PlayCallinBrotha

I think we have to get away from the idea of just having one QB at a time, that has hurt us time after time, I like getting all the good ones we can and see who rises to the top.

Nutts and Bolts

EVERYONE is just speculating... Let it play out and happen how it may.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

dc10x1103

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 07, 2008, 04:57:06 pm
So do any of you think it would be fair to start Nathan, Tyler, or Jim next year and then in 09 tell them sorry you are 2nd string because we have Mallett now?   
i don't care who starts in 2008, if rm can beat them out.....great.  and that is exactly what would happen..

Philip Seaton

Well considering Mustain made it known he was staying at Arkansas through the Spring semester and not going through Spring Practice, that is why he waited. That may or may not be the case here. He may want to transfer in for the Spring semester, in that case he would have to transfer a lot sooner.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on January 07, 2008, 05:19:54 pm
EVERYONE is just speculating... Let it play out and happen how it may.

Well.......YEAH.........isn't that what we do on here for the most part? :)
Go Hogs Go!

Dugann

you have to understand that the style of O we have now is a system.  a system qb is greater then another.  with one year under the belt and the O rolling why would you want to start over 1 year later?  don't make sense? come on think.
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 07, 2008, 04:20:01 pm
I absolutely, positively cannot see Ryan Mallett running away from competing with Nathan Dick, Tyler Wilson, or Jim Youngblood. 

Good grief.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

TrueHogFan

Quote from: Porkyswine on January 06, 2008, 10:45:38 pm
So, if it's now between UCLA (Loeffler) and Tennessee, did Petrino say no?  I've always heard how bad he wanted to be a hog, and I just can't see how he wouldn't now.  The only thing I can think is that he called Petrino, and Bobby said "not interested".  I can't imagine turning away a 5 star QB.....?????  Anyone have more on this?
Source? LOL

hkfuey

I know I haven't posted on here much, but I'm constantly on here...too much, in fact!  And the following conversation just happened a few minutes ago with my father, whose aunt is Mallett's grandmother.  My dad's brother just visited with her over the holidays, and she told him that Mallet has always dreamed of playing for the Hogs (we all know this!).  He went to tons of camps and wanted very, very (did I say very?) badly to be a Hog.  No revelation here...this is what's been posted on here so many times.  Here's a little more insight into the situation:  She said he still does want to come to the U of A deep down, but that his father is so angry with the university over the way they handled the recruitment of Ryan last year, that he really doesn't want his son to go there.  Very opposed to it.  So, at this point, the biggest obstacle to his becoming a Hog is his dad (who can blame him?).  And the root cause of this:  HOOTIE!  Thanks buddy!  Good riddance.  I hope that his father can see a new dawn ahead and look past the lunacy of TCTWF. 

All that said, I know that Petrino & Co., with or without Mallett, will develop one (or several) of our current/incoming QB's into studs!  Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if LeFlor or Brohm were highly touted out of high school?  Petrino turned them into very productive QB's.  I think we're OK...better days are ahead!

SOOOOIIEEE!

TMooney

Speculation Central

A lot of you are saying what you want or what we would like to have and thats natural. Sure we want everyone and most want Dmac to play for Dallas .

Reality plays a bigger role from the players interrests. IMO , after watching Dorseys every move last night , I personally would not pay him 60 million. Thay had him at nose man and yes he controlled the center of the line but he wasnt there all the time and they did make plays right past him. After watchng Dmac in the Bowl game , I wouldnt pay him 60 million either . I would spread my money around to get more good but not great players and hope I had some flowers bloom. There are several good running backs that will go in lower rounds.

But any way, these kids have maybe one shot at the pro level and in this discussion, who can get them there? They dont need a collsion with another player. Not that they are afraid of competion. The decision where they play could mean their lifetime of earnings. The four quaterback deal at Arkansas isnt a good fit for them. From their position they shouldnt let that happen.  Tyler Wilson needs to be the man where ever he goes and he has those options right now . He has a lot of choices right now .

Mallet is waiting on Pryor to commit and Pryor says it will be the end of Febuary. I think Pryor is waiting on a personal commitment that he will start as a freshman. Those two quarterbacks need to be the man where ever they go . Mallet is not going to give up elgibility unless he has to. If he does he will pick a place where hes the man or why else make the move.

If that "trade"  takes place , then Ryan Mallet and Jim Youngblood has no reason to stay in Ar football. They already have Nathan to worry about if he has a great year next year .

With the three we have , we are in pretty good shape. With Mallet and Nathan we are in pretty good shape. I dont think its realistic to expect we will have all four of them from their standpoint .

secfan1

Wilson will be the man wherever he goes?  hmm.....lol....didnt know that.

Hawgballz

Quote from: TMooney on January 08, 2008, 10:24:57 am
Speculation Central

A lot of you are saying what you want or what we would like to have and thats natural. Sure we want everyone and most want Dmac to play for Dallas .

Reality plays a bigger role from the players interrests. IMO , after watching Dorseys every move last night , I personally would not pay him 60 million. Thay had him at nose man and yes he controlled the center of the line but he wasnt there all the time and they did make plays right past him. After watchng Dmac in the Bowl game , I wouldnt pay him 60 million either . I would spread my money around to get more good but not great players and hope I had some flowers bloom. There are several good running backs that will go in lower rounds.

But any way, these kids have maybe one shot at the pro level and in this discussion, who can get them there? They dont need a collsion with another player. Not that they are afraid of competion. The decision where they play could mean their lifetime of earnings. The four quaterback deal at Arkansas isnt a good fit for them. From their position they shouldnt let that happen.  Tyler Wilson needs to be the man where ever he goes and he has those options right now . He has a lot of choices right now .

Mallet is waiting on Pryor to commit and Pryor says it will be the end of Febuary. I think Pryor is waiting on a personal commitment that he will start as a freshman. Those two quarterbacks need to be the man where ever they go . Mallet is not going to give up elgibility unless he has to. If he does he will pick a place where hes the man or why else make the move.

If that "trade"  takes place , then Ryan Mallet and Jim Youngblood has no reason to stay in Ar football. They already have Nathan to worry about if he has a great year next year .

With the three we have , we are in pretty good shape. With Mallet and Nathan we are in pretty good shape. I dont think its realistic to expect we will have all four of them from their standpoint .

I believ e you have been drinking too much Tyler Wilson kool-aid.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

secfan1

Exactly.  We dont know what he will be yet.  Tulsa and Arkansas recruited him the hardest.  Others looked.  Would he have been LSU'S future qb.  No.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: schmeck on January 07, 2008, 08:14:40 am
Tennessee currently does not have any QB commitments for the current signing class - this could be appealing to RM in that the current QB's on campus will use an additional year of eligibility while he redshirts, then he'd be ready to step in...

UCLA currently has one 4-star QB commit, three 4-star WR commits, and two 4-star RB commits.  If you see the talent that UCLA is mustering, this too could be very appealing.  You could see a very bright future with all the influx of prime recruits hitting campus next fall...

Don't forget UCLA also have 5-star Ben Olson, who transferred from BYU (dirty traitor).  He has been injured almost all season though.

The real Hogules

If Pryor is actually waiting on a D-1A head coach to simply hand him/promise him the starting job then he doesn't appear to have the self-confidence that you would think that one of the top 2-3 players coming out of HS would/should have.

If Rich Rod wants to make those kinds of promises then he obviously doesn't have much faith in Ryan Mallett's ability as a QB to run his offense, or doesn't have much faith in his own ability to taylor his offense to utilize the talent presently on hand at Michigan.

This will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

I'm finally to the point that I've decided to quit trying to figure out where RM will attend college next Fall and put my faith in our new and our improved coaching staff to find and develop players at our school.

Good luck to Ryan Mallett no matter where he decides is the right fit for him (as long as it's not Tennessee). LOL
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Seebs

January 08, 2008, 01:58:16 pm #65 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:07:58 pm by Seebs
Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 07, 2008, 04:57:06 pm
So do any of you think it would be fair to start Nathan, Tyler, or Jim next year and then in 09 tell them sorry you are 2nd string because we have Mallett now?   
You tell one of them they are second string, one of them they are third string and the other they are fourth string. Why? Because there is a more talented player at QB. That should be what we fans want, the best player at each position.

Mallet would have to earn his first string spot, if he is first string so be it.

Why is this so complicated to some people?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SquidBilly

Hey just asking a question.  I agree that the best players should play but most on this board want to annoint Mallett as the starter without him even being in a Razorback uni yet.  Petrino will make the best decisions for this football team but I fear this whole Mallett thing could be setting us up for another Mustain type situation.  What if in 09 Petrino determines Wilson is the best option and that Mallett is 2nd string.  Will their be a revolt like there was when Mustain got benched for Casey?  I know it is not the same situation because Petrino will be making his decisions based on football agenda whereas Nutt made hi on a personal agenda/vendetta, but I just wonder how some fans would react if that scenario played out.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 08, 2008, 02:44:28 pm
Hey just asking a question.  I agree that the best players should play but most on this board want to annoint Mallett as the starter without him even being in a Razorback uni yet.  Petrino will make the best decisions for this football team but I fear this whole Mallett thing could be setting us up for another Mustain type situation.  What if in 09 Petrino determines Wilson is the best option and that Mallett is 2nd string.  Will their be a revolt like there was when Mustain got benched for Casey?  I know it is not the same situation because Petrino will be making his decisions based on football agenda whereas Nutt made hi on a personal agenda/vendetta, but I just wonder how some fans would react if that scenario played out.
Very different situation.  Mustain/nutt did not get along and everyone knew it.  As far as I know there is no problem with Petrino/mallet

LR Hog

Quote from: 75_zebra on January 06, 2008, 10:58:21 pm
Is it possible RM doesn't want to be at the U of A?

Who wouldn't want to be at the U of A?
Like a boss.

Bacon The Saddle Again

How do transfers count toward recruiting classes? Are they like JUCO signees or do they not count toward a recruiting class's 25, but toward the total # of schollies?

dotnet

To answer the question earlier.. even though I know its been stated, Brohm was the number 1 qb in the nation when he went to play for Petrino.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 08, 2008, 02:44:28 pm

There wouldn't be a revolt if Wilson started over Mallett. 

It's just that judging by recruiting rankings, size, arm strength and production at the D-1 level, there seems to be absolutely no way to logically debate the fact that Mallett will start if he comes here over Dick, Youngblood or Wilson.

notreseveredname

January 08, 2008, 04:07:39 pm #72 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:11:46 pm by notreseveredname
Quote from: wilbur on January 07, 2008, 01:06:35 pm
Pete Carroll told Mustain to stay put and do nothing until after signing date.  It's only natural.  If Mallett is going to come to Arkansas...he has been told to wait until after signing date.  That way there are no recruiting casualties in the qb position.  However, a Mallett announcement might entice a few wrs. 

Regardless, Mallett will probably not announce anything until after signing date.

As you stated, Wouldn't it be more beneficial to skill positions recruits to know that you have a 5* QB that will be here three of the four years they will be here? 

If your Mallett, deep down aren't you thinking why are you keeping your peace to allow recruits who will potential compete with for your position?  They will also be here three of the four years Mallett would be here.

rihog

Quote from: dotnet on January 08, 2008, 03:09:17 pm
To answer the question earlier.. even though I know its been stated, Brohm was the number 1 qb in the nation when he went to play for Petrino.

That isn't true, he was in the Top 10 but he was not #1 I believe that Rhett Bomar (OU) was #1  that year and Anthony Morelli (PSU) was #2, and Chad Henne (UM) was #3, Xavier Lee (FSU) was #4, Matt Tuiasosopo (UW) was #5, Stephen McGee (A&M) was #6, Robbie Reid (OkST) was #7, Chase Patton (Mizzou) was #8, Nick Patton (KSU) was #9, and Brian Brohm (UL) was #10.
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

back2back

Exactly what I was about to point out... I had a hard time believing a 4 star QB was the best his year had to offer.
FTS = Feed the Studs