Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 08:16:25 pm

MPJ

Started by mizzouman, March 07, 2018, 02:12:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Looks like he will play tomorrow in some capacity.

RME

MPJ doesn't go to Arkansas. Mizzou isn't even on the same side of the bracket as Arkansas. So...

Wrong board?

Dudeman

Maybe we'll meet again in the finals.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 07, 2018, 02:13:53 pm
MPJ doesn't go to Arkansas. Mizzou isn't even on the same side of the bracket as Arkansas. So...

Wrong board?
Just an FYI.  Mods can delete if they want.

steveaustin69

John Wall did some light shooting for the first time since knee surgery yesterday. Just FYI. Mods can delete if they want.

mizzouman

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 07, 2018, 02:26:09 pm
John Wall did some light shooting for the first time since knee surgery yesterday. Just FYI. Mods can delete if they want.
Thanks.  I was wondering about him.  I appreciate the update.

k.c.hawg

Congrats mizzouman. I know if I had waited on a player for 30 games it would be great to know I'm going to get to finally see him in uniform and on the floor.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Adam Stokes

Well it could very well apply to us. If they beat A&M and Kentucky and (probably) Auburn, and we beat USC, Florida, and Tennessee, we may just have to face him.

mizzouman

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 07, 2018, 02:30:23 pm
Congrats mizzouman. I know if I had waited on a player for 30 games it would be great to know I'm going to get to finally see him in uniform and on the floor.
I'm indifferent.  I want to see how he looks first.  There's no telling what can happen. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: mizzouman on March 07, 2018, 02:34:20 pm
I'm indifferent.  I want to see how he looks first.  There's no telling what can happen. 

I'm actually looking forward to seeing him and how the whole dynamic of working him in either works or doesn't work.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 07, 2018, 02:33:10 pm
Well it could very well apply to us. If they beat A&M and Kentucky and (probably) Auburn, and we beat USC, Florida, and Tennessee, we may just have to face him.

Vandy/Georgia

razorpimp

Hey Mizz guy
Do you guys fire his dad as an assistant if both brothers leave for the nba?  Or is there another brother that justifies his much needed assistant coaching spot on the bench?

I bet he has been an invaluable resource!

SemperHawg

I would be willing to bet Martin isn't even calling the shots on this... Porter Jr's people will have him on a minutes restriction.  The kid isn't playing to win a game, he's playing to showcase some for the next level. 

mizzouman

Quote from: razorpimp on March 07, 2018, 02:40:41 pm
Hey Mizz guy
Do you guys fire his dad as an assistant if both brothers leave for the nba?  Or is there another brother that justifies his much needed assistant coaching spot on the bench?

There's more Porter's to come.  I'd say it was a great hire. 

mizzouman

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 07, 2018, 02:42:55 pm
I would be willing to bet Martin isn't even calling the shots on this... Porter Jr's people will have him on a minutes restriction.  The kid isn't playing to win a game, he's playing to showcase some for the next level. 
He won't start and I'd be surprised if he plays more than 20 minutes.  But, no one knows and really anything from a full failure to the best player in the country can happen. 

SemperHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on March 07, 2018, 02:46:25 pm
He won't start and I'd be surprised if he plays more than 20 minutes.  But, no one knows and really anything from a full failure to the best player in the country can happen. 
Look I get it, if Martin wanted to get a kid like Porter Jr.  he had to be willing to let his "people" call some shots.  Just a shame, he should be in the pros already anyways.

3kgthog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 07, 2018, 02:33:10 pm

I'm not worried in the least about that happening.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 07, 2018, 02:13:53 pm

Wrong board?

Conference finals match up  ;)
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

cram224

Quote from: mizzouman on March 07, 2018, 02:19:48 pm
Just an FYI.  Mods can delete if they want.
Mizzouman, I like some of the updates you have. Don't let some on here bother you, most small men want to talk a big game.

(notOM)Rebel123

Vin Ascolese > MPJ
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razorpigg

There went Mizzou's chances of a run. Will kill their chemistry they have built. Oh well couldnt happen to a better bunch. Well besides Auburn...

The Hogfather

Quote from: mizzouman on March 07, 2018, 02:12:11 pm

Not smart.

mizzouman

Quote from: cram224 on March 07, 2018, 03:44:17 pm
Mizzouman, I like some of the updates you have. Don't let some on here bother you, most small men want to talk a big game.
Thanks, been posting for a long time so it doesn't bother me.

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Quote from: razorpimp on March 07, 2018, 02:40:41 pm
Hey Mizz guy

I seem to remember an older brother of a highly sought after recruit being hired for a short period of time by the Hogs,, until the younger brother chose Kentucky.

AlmaHog2011

Who cares? Really this board is not for you!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: cram224 on March 07, 2018, 03:44:17 pm

NO we want to talk about the Razorbacks you infidel.

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 06:23:03 pm
I seem to remember an older brother of a highly sought after recruit being hired for a short period of time by the Hogs,, until the younger brother chose Kentucky.

Monk was a former Razorback from Arkansas that got a GA job he would've qualified for without his brother. Michael Porter Sr was a women's assistant up until a couple of years ago. Hardly the same thing.

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 07, 2018, 06:40:26 pm
Monk was a former Razorback from Arkansas that got a GA job he would've qualified for without his brother. Michael Porter Sr was a women's assistant up until a couple of years ago. Hardly the same thing.
Yes, Sr was an assistant coach for the women's team. But are you saying Monk being hired had nothing to do with recruiting his little brother? It was being trumpeted in local media as almost a guarantee that Malik was going to Fayetteville. How many posts on this website bemoaned the fact that Marcus used the UA for a paycheck when he knew he wasn't going to deliver?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:08:31 pm
Yes, Sr was an assistant coach for the women's team. But are you saying Monk being hired had nothing to do with recruiting his little brother? It was being trumpeted in local media as almost a guarantee that Malik was going to Fayetteville. How many posts on this website bemoaned the fact that Marcus used the UA for a paycheck when he knew he wasn't going to deliver?
Monk wasn't hired he was a GA.

GA's get paid. Then there is this.

Mike Irwin, analyst for KNWA-TV's Razorback Nation, said he believes Malik and Marcus had a good idea they were going out of state despite the fact Malik moved to Bentonville before his sophomore year.

"For two to three years [Marcus] played the situation. Don't tell me he didn't play it; he got all kinds of favors done, wheels were greased. I don't think anybody broke NCAA rules, but favors were done," Irwin said on ESPN 99.5's The Forum with John Nabors. "People helped because they wanted this kid to be a Razorback. You're going to tell these people now, "Hey it's okay, it's all right, he just made a business decision. Oh, he couldn't come because there would be too much pressure?

Not trying to start a pissing contest. I was just responding to the earlier comment. In the world of recruitment, considering the Porter's history in Columbia, it's more kosher than the normal for enticement of a player.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:32:58 pm

Not as much as a true assistant. Much closer to work study.

The implication that Monk was "hired" here is asinine.

razorpimp

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:32:58 pm

Mike Irwin, analyst for KNWA-TV's Razorback Nation, said he believes Malik and Marcus had a good idea they were going out of state despite the fact Malik moved to Bentonville before his sophomore year.

"For two to three years [Marcus] played the situation. Don't tell me he didn't play it; he got all kinds of favors done, wheels were greased. I don't think anybody broke NCAA rules, but favors were done," Irwin said on ESPN 99.5's The Forum with John Nabors. "People helped because they wanted this kid to be a Razorback. You're going to tell these people now, "Hey it's okay, it's all right, he just made a business decision. Oh, he couldn't come because there would be too much pressure?

I know....Ark just isn't as good as Mizzou at it.   Should have just hired Marcus as an assistant

razorpimp

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:36:34 pm
Not trying to start a pissing contest. I was just responding to the earlier comment. In the world of recruitment, considering the Porter's history in Columbia, it's more kosher than the normal for enticement of a player.

It is sleazy just not illegal

MPJ's older sister is a star on the women's team. The family has deep roots in the school (aunt is head women's coach), and community. I'm not denying hiring his dad helped close the deal, but this is way more legit than a truck driver being hired as a coach.

razorpimp

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:45:57 pm
MPJ's older sister is a star on the women's team. The family has deep roots in the school (aunt is head women's coach), and community. I'm not denying hiring his dad helped close the deal, but this is way more legit than a truck driver being hired as a coach.

Hey I don't blame you guys at all....some of CMA's best players were relatives haha

lmao! DeMarre Carroll will always be loved up there. Mixed reviews on the Pressey God Sons.

RME

Still wondering what this thread has to do with the Arkansas Razorbacks

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:08:31 pm

No. Mike Anderson would've hired Marcus if he was interested regardless. Great player that played 2 sports and a great student.
I didn't notice you were a mizzou fan. I wouldn't use Hogville as much of a resource as to the goings on in Razorback athletics. Coaching searches are a freaking zoo.
I will say the real Shady McShaderson in this whole deal was Lorenzo Romar.

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 07, 2018, 08:00:54 pm
No. Mike Anderson would've hired Marcus if he was interested regardless. Great player that played 2 sports and a great student.
I didn't notice you were a mizzou fan. I wouldn't use Hogville as much of a resource as to the goings on in Razorback athletics. Coaching searches are a freaking zoo.
I will say the real Shady McShaderson in this whole deal was Lorenzo Romar.
I totally agree on Romar. And SR was offered a job to stay at Washington. I'm just saying as far as recruitment tactics, this was a little more justified than the usual. Would SR be offered the job without his son? No. But I will take this one. It's not as egregious as the norm in basketball.

As far as me using Hogville for a source,,I've lived here now for over 15 yrs and generally root for the Hogs as long as it doesn't impact MU. I have many real world friends here on this site, listen to Bo and the others on the radio daily, and so I spend more time reading opinions here than I do on MU sites. With all the traveling I've done in the Army, I think Mike Irwin is probably my favorite sports reporter of all time, regardless of school.

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 08:19:28 pm
I totally agree on Romar. And SR was offered a job to stay at Washington. I'm just saying as far as recruitment tactics, this was a little more justified than the usual. Would SR be offered the job without his son? No. But I will take this one. It's not as egregious as the norm in basketball.

As far as me using Hogville for a source,,I've lived here now for over 15 yrs and generally root for the Hogs as long as it doesn't impact MU. I have many real world friends here on this site, listen to Bo and the others on the radio daily, and so I spend more time reading opinions here than I do on MU sites. With all the traveling I've done in the Army, I think Mike Irwin is probably my favorite sports reporter of all time, regardless of school.

That's quite a compliment to Mike considering the Mizzou alums. He s definitely the best we have in this era and at least attempts to keep these goofballs straight.
I think this will always be a friendly rivalry. I know several people on each side that feel the same way you do. I've been everywhere in the SEC and Columbia twice. Your fans are eerily friendly. The first time we went up there I lost count of how many people thanked us for coming. It's refreshing after being to a craphole like Baton Rouge way too many times.

greasy_corner

Best player on the floor.  Always and forever. 

TheGrove68

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 07, 2018, 04:48:49 pm
Not smart.

With Van Leer out we will need him...to act like he will disrupt the chemistry with limited min. on the floor is a bit of a stretch. He had plenty of time to build chemistry before the season with these players and he's been practicing since Feb. 22.

Do I expect him to be Great or a huge factor on Thur..?? Probably not but he will be helpful, he can still score, rebound and dribble and with his talent he will be a upgrade from who ever was brought of Mizzou bench.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

TheGrove68

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 07, 2018, 07:45:57 pm

He MPSR is a legit basketball coach who has ties to Mizzou being a former assistant and having kids who played for the women's program. Hiring him was a no brainer, got a good coach and some dang good players. They could of gone anywhere as a package deal. They chose to come back to CoMo.. nothing sleazy or odd about that.

If they didn't have ties to Mizzou then sure it would be the normal Bball sleaze recruiting that every program does, but in this case it was legit.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 07, 2018, 07:55:00 pm
Still wondering what this thread has to do with the Arkansas Razorbacks

Exactly.
I guess we need to go to the SEC Sports forum to read about the Hogs.😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Athog

Who in the Hell cares! Most publicity to have done nothing! When he starts playing and contributing then let me know. You can go just so far on your reputation.

mizzouman

Quote from: Athog on March 08, 2018, 06:11:56 am

Who in the Hell cares! Most publicity to have done nothing! When he starts playing and contributing then let me know. You can go just so far on your reputation.
You can read my posts nor not.  That's up to you but thanks for you input.

ShadowHawg

I was curious. Have you guys had anymore poop swastica problems?

http://gawker.com/heres-the-poop-swastika-1742228106

Next1_04

I get it, its exciting having him back but geez, can they address it once? Iv'e hear "MPJ" at least 167 times in the first 7:00 mins of this game.

STLHogFan

I'm tired of all the hype.  Don't look now.  Georgia has the lead.
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.