Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye one and done (ESPN article) click photo

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 05, 2018, 06:02:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 08, 2018, 01:01:25 pm
It is the fault of the " college for everyone " line of thinking. College is not for everyone, nor is it needed by everyone. You can go to hvac, mechanic, or other trade schools, work while you are in the program, come out debt free and likely with some good job offers.

But people have been duped into thinking the only way to every get any job is to get a bachelors degree ( and shortly it'll be a masters, so they run up 100K or more in debt that they will have to work decade or more to pay back.

but that is the line of thinking that is hammered into kids heads from the jump.  If you don't have at least a bachalor's degree you will be passed over regardless of ability or experience (true in most cases btw), but now you got people with Ph.D's competing for jobs that high school seniors use to do.

It is glorified, working hard for a living is not.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on March 08, 2018, 01:03:29 pm
but that is the line of thinking that is hammered into kids heads from the jump.  If you don't have at least a bachalor's degree you will be passed over regardless of ability or experience (true in most cases btw), but now you got people with Ph.D's competing for jobs that high school seniors use to do.

Trust me, I know. I have a college Fr and a HS fr.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MB Hog

Quote from: 311Hog on March 08, 2018, 01:03:29 pm

Along the same lines regarding what's hammered into their heads, the current status quo for NBA prospects is that they have to go to college for at least one year before going to the NBA.  A few buck this trend and go overseas for a year, but that's not the norm.  If they take away the minimum age limit and open up minor league basketball as an option out of high school, maybe the status quo is completely different ten years from now.

And if, at the same time, the colleges establish a rule for a 3-year commitment, that would further direct those who have no desire to be a student to hone their skills in the NBA or the G-League (minor league for NBA).  At that point the decision for the players becomes - do you want to play basketball and get a college education or do you just want to play basketball?  If they just want to play basketball, then go get paid for it and don't take up the scholarship that someone else would have used to get a college education.