Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari has a very interesting proposal...

Started by Bogghawg, February 27, 2018, 06:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 01, 2018, 03:40:04 pm
Nice handle.

If the University of Arkansas did not have a college basketball program - or a college football program - or any athletic program whatsoever, I would have no interest in the games played after high school and before professional sports.  And I would probably not have wasted so much of my adulthood investing in such trivial pursuits.

I suspect that a Harvard man is not so nearly consumed in the Crimson's football record over the last decades as I in the Razorbacks'.  While he may celebrate Harvard victories, I doubt he suffers the losses the same as you and me for Arkansas.

Perspective is our friend; and I fear it is lost today.  It is lost in money - as evidenced by what we pay our college coaches, and for tickets, parking and refreshments at games.  We are suckers.

My money for these games goes to the University of Arkansas.  Yours may be intended for the athletes.  However, in my mind the UofA offers fine athletes having a variety of disciplines opportunities to live their dreams that most students have to pay tens - perhaps hundreds - of thousands of dollars to receive.  Perhaps in your mind, the University is leeching money from these kids.  In my mind, we are awarding unique talent with valuable opportunity.

If you desire to further diminish the value of a college education - the one thing that 99% of all college athletes must rely most upon post-graduation for their support - then go right ahead.  A true capitalist would go further by allowing colleges to negotiate an open market value for the services of their student athletes.

How much do we pay the starting point guard v. the eighth player on the basketball roster?  The quarterback v. the punter?  The swimmer v. the gymnast.  Their respective contributions to the university are not the same.  Is their dedication to their respective sports worth more or less to us?

Athletics serve as each university's closest connection to its alumni and fans.  It entertains us, and gives us good cause to return to campus as often as possible.  However, as soon as we start paying players beyond tuition, books, room and board, we'll lose all connection with the athletes.  They will be annual free agents, and their connections to schools will once and for all become strictly business.

Maybe that's what we need.  We could stop pretending that universities are in the business of education.  And the University of Texas would return to the top in most polls - cause they can afford to.

Peace.

Do you know how many students, not athletes get student loans every year and never finish college or ever pay back their loans and bring ZERO to their university.  Just debt to the banks, plus if they go to work and don't make $45K a year they are not required to pay back???
SEC!

ArkansasI

Quote from: rude1 on March 03, 2018, 09:22:16 am
Then don't be surprised when the kids and families find them away around the rules and still get their payday, this insane way of thinking is what left the door open for the agents and handlers to fill a void. The free education isn't free, if you are giving your blood sweat and tears to help create millionaire coaches and administrators.
The way around the rules is plain. Go to Europe or elsewhere for pay. You might busy yourself creating a U.S. minor league now and make your fortune.

The money in college athletics exists because of devotion of alumni and friends to the institutions, and to their primary purpose of education.

You are missing the basis for the passion of our spending.

ArkansasI

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 03, 2018, 09:33:10 am
Do you know how many students, not athletes get student loans every year and never finish college or ever pay back their loans and bring ZERO to their university.  Just debt to the banks, plus if they go to work and don't make $45K a year they are not required to pay back???

I do not know the answer to your question, but your reply confuses me. The student loans not repaid are university resources in the forms of tuition and books to operate its primary purpose.

College loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. If not repaid, they are the burden of borrower and creditor.  Such arrangements are made at arm's length.

For purposes of this conversation, my opposition to making loans to athletes is that I do not believe they can be made at arm's length.  These "loans" would likely be rife with the same impairments to fair play that we suffer under our current system.  For this reason, I see no purpose in it.

I believe the scholarships granted to football players and basketball players afford the athletes everything necessary for them to obtain a quality degree - equivalent to student aptitude - without any cost for tuition, room and board. For those whose athletic talents exceed this value, then the athlete may turn professional at any time they see fit to earn it.

hogfan10

Quote from: rude1 on March 03, 2018, 09:22:16 am
Then don't be surprised when the kids and families find them away around the rules and still get their payday, this insane way of thinking is what left the door open for the agents and handlers to fill a void. The free education isn't free, if you are giving your blood sweat and tears to help create millionaire coaches and administrators.

A lot of kids work to pay for college, some get to work as an athlete at their school of choice. I don't see the problem.