Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you get depressed when it's not football season?

Started by Rudy Baylor, February 25, 2018, 07:11:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Baylor

I do, but I'm not going to defend myself and say that I've got a right to be depressed when it ain't football. I don't "have a right" to be depressed. That's it. Fact. I should get off my wussy lowhorse and get busy doing the stuff of real life and stop feeling sorry for myself. I hate the NFL now anyway, so my only hurdle is college ball. Still, just knowing the Super Bowl was done and done earlier this month gave me that annual lump in my throat.

"Looking forward to spring ball" does not help. It used to. But not anymore. I don't know why. So don't ask me. Recruiting season doesn't help me anymore either. Either football is being played, or it's not. When it's not, I need to find a way to help you help me feel better about the world.

I guess everything hit me the other night and I went and bought five Grisham novels - five - and the non-fiction James Patterson work on that Jeffrey Epstein pervert and all his buddies flying out to his island. So I'm catching up. I got the paperback novels for only $9.99 btw, so there's a financial advantage to catching up.

My final thoughts here in my first off season column: I've found that peanut butter with dark chocolate, near the Nutella on the grocery shelf, is very low in carbs and has ZERO cholesterol. Plus you don't have to refrigerate it so you can carry it to work with you in your man bag, with your gun and your Rambo knife. Losing weight! What better way to feel better about it not being football season. I think trimming the pounds gives you a natural edge on keeping testosterone levels up high as well. Check with Bo on that.

You wouldn't be getting any healthy advice like that from Smucker's jelly propagandist Skandar Jackson, I can tell you that. Keep listening to him, he'll have you as fat as, well, you know who.

Hawgphat

I do.  I certainly wish all of the Razorbacks sports programs well, inclusively; but I am first and foremost a Razorbacks football fan.  That fact will never change.

Melancholy_Pigg

jgphillips3

I don't get depressed but the world does seem...lesser...from January to August so I fell ya.

TNRazorbacker

I tend to be more depressed during football season lately

PorkRinds

Depends.  This year I was glad that darn show was over!

jcbville

Yes. Why Im pulling for the XFL to make it so it fills more of the gap.

Baseball helps but it still isnt football.

Dark Helmet Hog

Depressed? No but I do spend the rest of the year waiting for it to start again.

SooieGeneris

No. Just no. The NCAA tournament is right around the corner along with spring. I HATE cold, nasty weather, hate winter. Summer is warm weather, good times, I take things as they come.

Football is one of the best things about fall, the only good thing about winter. I know it is the "in" thing to claim to hate the NFL and/or pro sports. I don't feel that way and make no apologies about it.

The NFL is the big bad boogeyman these days, being blamed for concussions and everything but irritable bowel syndrome and foot fungus. Give the PC crowd time, they'll find a way to pin those things on it as well.

Many of the players had suffered several concussions before they even got to the NFL, but the NFL gets blamed..

The hypocrisy of the college game with coaches making mega-bucks and the players making a pittance in comparison... at least in Pro sports, the money is being paid OVER THE TABLE.

In college, the UNC and UK's can pay players thousands under the table or enroll players in Mickey Mouse courses ala UNC with no sanctions, because certain programs are untouchable. There are a different set of rules in the college game depending on being a "Marquee program."

The pros all play by the same set of rules, note the way NE was penalized when caught videotaping the other sidelines. In college, Alabama football or Kentucky basketball wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist for that.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

liljo

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on February 25, 2018, 08:55:12 pm
I tend to be more depressed during football season lately

;) That's about to change. Bunker down you Slobberin' Hogs.  ::hornsdown::
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Vantage 8 dude

While I LOVE Hog's football, as I gotten older I've learned with my ever shorting life I need to ensure that I treasure every moment of every season. Every day is another gone, never to be recovered. So make the most of it!! :)

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Lately, I've been more depressed during football season.

EFBAB

Dark Helmet Hog

Hopefully the spring game will snap everyone out of the depression from last season.

Hogs-n-Roses

No.  There's enough recruiting,baxetball,baseball,fishing...... to last and this year(especially) Its like Christmas every day.

In the last few months,all wishes were granted and the razorbacks have a brand new start. I can see absolutely no reason to be anything but grateful and hopeful for the future.

Will it go down perfectly,no.  This staff has done everything I could have possibly hoped for to start the rebuild here at Arkansas.

We finally got a big name DC and additions to that staff look promising. We are changing to an offense which is more suited to all things Hog. We need them to close on this recruiting class coming up and we'll be fine.

Sed76

I did when we were a decent team. Last few years I've been so emotionally drained by the time the season over it was almost like a relief. Looking forward to getting back to the days where as soon as one season ends you get excited about the possibilities of next year. Never had that feeling under the previous coaching staff.

pigture perfect

No, I have baseball, then Turkey season, then fishing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GoHogzzGo

February 26, 2018, 10:49:34 am #18 Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:47:04 am by GoHogzzGo
Sorry to hear(read) that OP. During football season our lack of success depresses me more unfortunately.

Our best sports (Basketball, Track, and Baseball) are all outside of the football season so I’m quite happy. (Unless you count Cross Country too that is during the season of course).

Good find on the peanut butter :) maybe I’ll use that during our “rebuilding” season to cope
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

TM Hog

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on February 25, 2018, 07:11:45 pm
I do, but I'm not going to defend myself and say that I've got a right to be depressed when it ain't football. I don't "have a right" to be depressed. That's it. Fact. I should get off my wussy lowhorse and get busy doing the stuff of real life and stop feeling sorry for myself. I hate the NFL now anyway, so my only hurdle is college ball. Still, just knowing the Super Bowl was done and done earlier this month gave me that annual lump in my throat.

"Looking forward to spring ball" does not help. It used to. But not anymore. I don't know why. So don't ask me. Recruiting season doesn't help me anymore either. Either football is being played, or it's not. When it's not, I need to find a way to help you help me feel better about the world.

I guess everything hit me the other night and I went and bought five Grisham novels - five - and the non-fiction James Patterson work on that Jeffrey Epstein pervert and all his buddies flying out to his island. So I'm catching up. I got the paperback novels for only $9.99 btw, so there's a financial advantage to catching up.

My final thoughts here in my first off season column: I've found that peanut butter with dark chocolate, near the Nutella on the grocery shelf, is very low in carbs and has ZERO cholesterol. Plus you don't have to refrigerate it so you can carry it to work with you in your man bag, with your gun and your Rambo knife. Losing weight! What better way to feel better about it not being football season. I think trimming the pounds gives you a natural edge on keeping testosterone levels up high as well. Check with Bo on that.

You wouldn't be getting any healthy advice like that from Smucker's jelly propagandist Skandar Jackson, I can tell you that. Keep listening to him, he'll have you as fat as, well, you know who.

the spring game is coming up.  Why doesn't that fill the void?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Chorizo Hogriguez

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 26, 2018, 10:49:34 am
Sorry to hear(read) that OP. During football season and our lack of success depresses me more unfortunately.

Our best sports (Basketball, Track, and Baseball) are all outside of the football season so I'm quite happy. (Unless you count Cross Country too that is during the season of course).

Good find on the peanut butter :) maybe I'll use that during our "rebuilding" season to cope

what?

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 26, 2018, 10:49:34 am
Sorry to hear(read) that OP. During football season and our lack of success depresses me more unfortunately.

Our best sports (Basketball, Track, and Baseball) are all outside of the football season so I'm quite happy. (Unless you count Cross Country too that is during the season of course).

Good find on the peanut butter :) maybe I'll use that during our "rebuilding" season to cope

thanks Hogzz

I'm willing the bet Hog Nation got fatter the past five years, given the terrible examples set by CBB and by Skandar

It's time we trimmed up and had some good blood work numbers for a change. That's what CCM is bringing us. Healthy minds and bodies. No more BS from citizen media folks propping up jelly and greasy french fries and "worshing it down" with whatever the hell he was promoting on any given day.

Plus one to you sir

HogPharmer

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 11:19:48 am

Because it's being played in that crap hole in Little Rock. We should really stop having hog-related events there.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 11:19:48 am

spring game is not football season, dummy

man for a pharmacist, you sure don't know much

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on February 26, 2018, 11:31:26 am
spring game is not football season, dummy

man for a pharmacist, you sure don't know much

I'm not sure how much an ass kicking will do for your depression, but I reckon we'll find out. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

twistitup

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 11:49:43 am
I'm not sure how much an ass kicking will do for your depression, but I reckon we'll find out.

Ain't nothing quite like having the depression beat out of you...

liljo

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 11:49:43 am

LOL! +1 ;D
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

DeltaBoy

Nope I sharpen up knifes and get my Lawn equipment ready for Spring. It Base Ball time and the Hogs are playing and St Louis will be going soon.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

liljo

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 26, 2018, 03:35:35 pm
Nope I sharpen up knifes and get my Lawn equipment ready for Spring. It Base Ball time and the Hogs are playing and St Louis will be going soon.
From one Razorbacks--Cardinals fan to another : I salute you!

nchogg

In Florida time to think about fishing. But I do watch Hog Basketball, Baseball and sometimes Softball and Lady Backs. I will be reading about all the coaches during spring practice then watch the red/white game and then fishing and when it's time read about fall practice. Whew! But yes I hate when football ends and can't wait for it to start. Go Hogs! P.S. I need to change my screen to flhogg since I don't live in North Carolina anymore.

phadedhawg

Keeping up with the Razorbacks and the Seahawks makes for a very busy fall/winter.  By the time the NFL playoffs are over (or the regular season since we missed the playoffs this year) I'm kind of thankful to have my weekends free.  Also the success of my teams have a lot to do with how I view the offseason.

Both the Seahawks and the Razorbacks had very dismal seasons so I don't really miss football that much. 

Razor_back

Go Hogs

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 26, 2018, 10:45:15 pm
yep, in my backyard.

I do too...I also like to combine crappie fishing  and squirrel hunting. Slow troll for river crappie with one eye on the trees.

flynhog

Razorback basketball is just a way to keep me watching TV between football and baseball season. Spring is starting to show a little.  Im excited about the diamond Hogs and Chad Morris.  Its going to be ok.

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2018, 05:44:09 am
I do too...I also like to combine crappie fishing  and squirrel hunting. Slow troll for river crappie with one eye on the trees.

anthracite crappie?

twistitup

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on February 27, 2018, 11:02:22 am
anthracite crappie?

usually cornmeal....but I'm not against a change of pace.

Crappie are #1 on my list, I stay traditional for the most part---catfish, I get creative with

HognitiveDissonance

No.

'To everything there is a season.'

Applies to Hog sports as well. I follow all Hog stuff in its own time and place.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2018, 11:07:38 am
usually cornmeal....but I'm not against a change of pace.

Crappie are #1 on my list, I stay traditional for the most part---catfish, I get creative with

Deep Fried Crappie is a slice of heaven on a plate.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 27, 2018, 02:47:08 pm

No doubt about it.

add a few pieces of raw onion and I'm good

Oliver

LZH

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 27, 2018, 02:47:08 pm
Quote from: twistitup on February 27, 2018, 03:39:56 pm
No doubt about it.

add a few pieces of raw onion and I'm good

God bless you both.

Hawgboy64

February 28, 2018, 07:46:07 am #44 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:57:24 am by Hawgboy64
I'm more excited now than I was during last season.
"Hope for the future gives you power in the present."
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

hoglady

No - having a good time watching the basketball team.
And it's Baseball Season - the best of all Razorback sports.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

oldhawg

Quote from: hoglady on February 28, 2018, 08:49:34 am
No - having a good time watching the basketball team.
And it's Baseball Season - the best of all Razorback sports.

Softball team is doing well, as are both women's and men's track & field teams.  Gymnasts are having there usual successful season.  All these kids represent the University of Arkansas and deserve just recognition.  Plus, it's fun to see them be successful at their chosen sports activity.

yraciv

Nope! While I love football it comes a distant 3rd to basketball and baseball. I'll follow our recruiting, the nfl draft, and read spring ball reports but I'm not dying for football news in the offseason. 

March Madness is my favorite sporting event of the year, and I live in a Pro Sports town where I can go to a MLB game whenever I want in the summer.  There isn't much I enjoy more in sports than that.

It also doesn't hut that our basketball & baseball programs are currently better than football anyways.  They are much more exciting than last season of Razorback football.

hoglady

Quote from: oldhawg on February 28, 2018, 09:04:35 am
Softball team is doing well, as are both women's and men's track & field teams.  Gymnasts are having there usual successful season.  All these kids represent the University of Arkansas and deserve just recognition.  Plus, it's fun to see them be successful at their chosen sports activity.

Absolutely - hoping that Neighbors can turn around Lady Razorback basketball the same way Deifel has turned around the softball program. I have faith with a little time he will.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HiggiePiggy

I get depressed after college basketball because baseball is so boring and the nba is also very boring.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?