Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I was proud of Macon's leadership last night.

Started by razobak, February 14, 2018, 09:39:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razobak

First off, let me say that I 100% agree that Hall and Gafford won us that game. Both of them came up big in the second half, put the team on their backs when we needed it, and it was a great job by our coaching staff focusing on getting them the ball. But what I haven't seen much of is kudos for Macon for being the senior leader that we needed. His shots weren't falling. He didn't fill up the stat sheet. Played 25 minutes on only 1-6 shooting and scored only 4 points. Ole Miss did a good job of taking him out of the game defensively.

He was also coming into this game riding his well-publicized 20-point-game streak. He had had 7 straight such games and people were making comparisons to Corliss with a similar streak. A lesser player and a lesser leader would have spent the game trying to continue his streak. He would have started to press, take shots that weren't there and force the issue to the detriment of the team. But he didn't. He facilitated. He made the extra pass. He had 6 assists to only 2 turnovers. He ran the offense and was a steadying presence on the floor after Ole Miss made their second half run. No, he didn't make many shots or put the team on his back like he's done before. But his leadership was 100% evident as we staved off their comeback and put the game away.

We have a team full of seniors, along with some precociously good freshmen playing valuable minutes and making important contributions. This was the kind of senior leadership that this team has been needing, and I think will prove vital as we close out the season.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yeah it's not only know your role, but know your role for this particular game.  Wasn't the best of nights for Macon that's for sure, but what's encouraging is we were able to win without him scoring 20.  Just couldn't find his range which I attribute to the many empty seats.  That should not be an issue back at BWA.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jst01

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 14, 2018, 11:15:23 am
Yeah it's not only know your role, but know your role for this particular game.  Wasn't the best of nights for Macon that's for sure, but what's encouraging is we were able to win without him scoring 20.  Just couldn't find his range which I attribute to the many empty seats.  That should not be an issue back at BWA.

yea there were a weird number of airballs and VERY short shots.