Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We got lucky

Started by Piglet, February 10, 2018, 09:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet

This was not Vanderbilt's night.  I knew they didn't have the type of point guard that would break down the defense, but I was worried about their 3-pt shooting.  Tonight they couldn't get into a rhythm.  I thought the hogs defense was giving them lots of problems even though they got some open looks.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

greenEGnHAWGS

Yeah...most 18 point wins are just "lucky"...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HouSwine

I hope we get lucky at home for the next few, too!

Breems

You don't need luck to SCREW VANDERBILT. They suck.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

ChicoHog

We shot well and they did not.  that pretty much sums it up.  They were 1-14 from three at one point in the first half.  Many were wide open and last week LSU made those shots.  Tonight Vandy missed them.  Also Gafford played well, the man defense was much better and most importantly we made shots. 

HiggiePiggy

We obviously played some really good defense, but you are right it's luck if Arkansas wins......
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogwildjoshua

First 33 minutes was average...last 7 minutes?  GREAT 👍🏼.  I will say that!

010HogFan

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 10, 2018, 09:48:44 pm
We shot well and they did not.  that pretty much sums it up.  They were 1-14 from three at one point in the first half.  Many were wide open and last week LSU made those shots.  Tonight Vandy missed them.  Also Gafford played well, the man defense was much better and most importantly we made shots.

1-14 from 3-pt land isn't the Vandy I remember

3of5-2

Quote from: Breems on February 10, 2018, 09:48:10 pm
You don't need luck to SCREW VANDERBILT. They suck.
There you are, I know you're happy.

Breems

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 10, 2018, 09:57:27 pm
There you are, I know you're happy.

Another day at the office.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

k.c.hawg

Yep, that looked just like luck.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Piglet

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 10, 2018, 09:46:14 pm
Bad title for my post.  I should have titled it "Vanderbilt didn't get lucky like some of the teams we have played".  It felt good to finally see luck on our side for a change, due to some good defense.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Piglet on February 10, 2018, 10:02:12 pm
Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 10, 2018, 09:46:14 pm
Bad title for my post.  I should have titled it "Vanderbilt didn't get lucky like some of the teams we have played".  It felt good to finally see luck on our side for a change, due to some good defense.

Or...you coulda title it "Good game by Hogs"...just a thought...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

pghawg1

Hogs must have done something right. Look it up, Vandy had scored 81 or more points each of their 3 games. You can say we were lucky, looks to me we played darn good defense.

AirWarren

Quote from: Piglet on February 10, 2018, 09:44:49 pm
This was not Vanderbilt's night.  I knew they didn't have the type of point guard that would break down the defense, but I was worried about their 3-pt shooting.  Tonight they couldn't get into a rhythm.  I thought the hogs defense was giving them lots of problems even though they got some open looks.
17-8
6-6

Fire mike!!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 10, 2018, 10:16:04 pm
Hogs must have done something right. Look it up, Vandy had scored 81 or more points each of their 3 games. You can say we were lucky, looks to me we played darn good defense.
They couldn't buy a three in the first half.

ShadowHawg

Vanderbilt wants to run the clock down and dictate the rhythm of their offense. They aren't usually shooting 3's after scrambling and making pressured swing passes. They were out of rhythm for a reason.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 10, 2018, 10:23:15 pm
Vanderbilt wants to run the clock down and dictate the rhythm of their offense. They aren't usually shooting 3's after scrambling and making pressured swing passes. They were out of rhythm for a reason.

Good point. The announcers said that Vandy averages the longest time before their first shot in the SEC at 17 seconds. By sticking to our game, they tried to match it and that really affected their scoring.

BrooklynRoss

Heck, yeah, lucky by like 20 points!
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2018, 10:17:41 pm
They couldn't buy a three in the first half.

The Hog defense had a whole lot to do with that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jboler96

Dumb. Defense was stout

TheRazorback500

We held Roberson, LaChance, Toye, and Willis to 1-19 from three by staying with them and getting a hand up quicker. Their other guys got all the open looks, and still went 2-7. I'm griping about too many turnovers, especially unforced ones.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 10, 2018, 11:26:57 pm
We held Roberson, LaChance, Toye, and Willis to 1-19 from three by staying with them and getting a hand up quicker. Their other guys got all the open looks, and still went 2-7. I'm griping about too many turnovers, especially unforced ones.

vandy shot 25% from the floor, and 11% from 3 ( 3-26 ). UAFS would have beaten them tonight.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 11:30:06 pm
vandy shot 25% from the floor, and 11% from 3 ( 3-26 ). UAFS would have beaten them tonight.

It's a shame our boys had ZERO to do with the other teams scoring efficiency...

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 10, 2018, 11:32:18 pm
It's a shame our boys had ZERO to do with the other teams scoring efficiency...

I saw Vandy miss lots of open shots. The announcers commented several times how Vandy usually knocks down those open shots. They did do a good job on Lachance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 11:39:54 pm
I saw Vandy miss lots of open shots. The announcers commented several times how Vandy usually knocks down those open shots. They did do a good job on Lachance.

Announcers made many comments such as how Vandy lead the SEC in time of possession per 24 sec shot clock. In other words they are a very systematic offense and Arkansas was able to alter their style of play all night, keeping them out of rhythm. But hey, let's only focus on "they missed shots they usually hit" as the whole story of the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 10, 2018, 11:44:43 pm
Announcers made many comments such as how Vandy lead the SEC in time of possession per 24 sec shot clock. In other words they are a very systematic offense and Arkansas was able to alter their style of play all night, keeping them out of rhythm. But hey, let's only focus on "they missed shots they usually hit" as the whole story of the game.

I predicted the HOGS BY 16, I just dint think Vandy would go 3-26 from 3. I did think the Hogs were just better than a 9 win team with no real pg.

mykidsdad

wow - you know less about basketball than I thought. I will more ignore everything you say. impressive really!

hogsanity

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 10, 2018, 11:49:47 pm
wow - you know less about basketball than I thought. I will more ignore everything you say. impressive really!

So they didn't do a good job on Lachance?

raz1965

Vandy missed the open shots due to the fact they felt rushed to shoot , that's part of Mike's scheme to make players feel uncomfortable.  The defense did what it was  designed to do last night. Vandy will continue to shoot well against other teams.

Paul Westerhawg

So many misanthropes, so few hugs.

latrops

Them shooting poorly and us playing well defensively aren't mutually exclusive.  We were active on D and made them uncomfortable...AND they missed almost every open look they got.

latrops

Quote from: raz1965 on February 11, 2018, 08:23:40 am
Vandy missed the open shots due to the fact they felt rushed to shoot , that's part of Mike's scheme to make players feel uncomfortable.  The defense did what it was  designed to do last night. Vandy will continue to shoot well against other teams.

Sometimes it was our defense forcing a shot out of rhythm, and sometimes they just missed good, wide open looks.

The_Iceman

They suck. And they played terrible. Even a mediocre team like ours should blow them out.

East TN HAWG

I know I've been very critical of this teams defense and 1 on 1 offense sets. I see signs of this team getting better.  I too think Vandy had a blah game.
I also see the defensive pressure turning up a notch.  I see the team pushing the ball in transition better.  I see Gafford playing better in the post.  I see teammates passing the ball to the post.  I see more cuts to the goal.  I see less forcing shots.

We still have a lot deficiencies, but there is progress.  I still think this team has the parts to surprise people.  We just need to continue getting better.  We were a bit lucky because we did not receive Vandys best punch, but we are also improving.

Rome26

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 10, 2018, 09:51:09 pm
First 33 minutes was average...last 7 minutes?  GREAT 👍🏼.  I will say that!

The defense was good the whole game but we turned the ball over a lot in the first half.

PORKULATOR

They go through spurts where it looks like they've never played together, then play seamless, quick and cohesive 5 minutes later.... Its maddening but we're winning more than we're losing.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

raz1965

We won by 18, doubt Vandy lost many by that margin since SEC play started.

Letsroll1200

If the Hogs got lucky we need a name for this game. You know like the Miracle on Markham or the Hunter Heave!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 11, 2018, 12:09:26 pm
If the Hogs got lucky we need a name for this game. You know like the Miracle on Markham or the Hunter Heave!
#ofallthebigdanluck   ::)

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2018, 09:19:34 am
They suck. And they played terrible. Even a mediocre team like ours should blow them out.

Vandy at Kentucky 81-83
TCU at Vandy 78-81
Vandy at Tennessee 62-67
Alabama at Vandy 75-76

Horrible team. The only difference between the Hogs and Vandy is that we have found away to win close games.