Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gene Chizik to be new DC?

Started by navyhog24, December 08, 2017, 08:25:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Quote from: hawgdeere48 on December 08, 2017, 10:20:01 am
I am curious as to what environment you heard this in. In passing? Players talking about it? Booster? That would help determine some, if any validity. Not questioning you whatsoever and not intending my post to be anything but an attempt to settle my peaked curiosity! Thank you!
I agree, how good is your SOURCE?
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Squealers

If this is our direction, I am completely on board and think its a home run hire.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

Hoggish1

Quote from: swinesation on December 08, 2017, 09:33:17 am
Reading the article, it would be kind of shocking for him to jump back into coaching ten months later. I could see him maybe doing it a year from now when he son graduates high school.

Seems like a no-brainer to me too.  If you're out because you hadn't seen but 2 games in two sports of your son's play, why are you going to pull the rug out from him as he goes into his senior year?

LumberBacks

Guy is only 55.  He still has some years in front of him to coach.  Since he's not under contract with anyone, shouldn't have any buyout even as a former asst. with UNC.  He'd get a decent paycheck at Arkansas.  He apparently has alot of respect for Morris and Morris will prob let him pick his staff.  He's not going to get that with Saban.  At a certain age, the work environment is more important than the $$.  I'm 55 too, and I'd rather work for a Morris than a Saban.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Cale on December 08, 2017, 08:35:53 am
I'm thinking Chizik has a fire inside him to stifle The Gus Bus offense.

He'll get alot of help with that too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hog Waller on December 08, 2017, 08:32:56 am
I definitely could see him being the one based on what is 'realistically' available out there.
he'd be a good choice. recruiting would surge.
But Id still make Bud Foster tell me 2 million reasons why not first.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HamGrowsOnTrees

The best defensive coordinator in the land is rob Ryan .... he is unemployed and did well when he was a college coach.

Rzback

his knowledge and experience would probably be helpful to CCM but CCM sounded like he planned to run a 3-5 Defense
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

TheEnemy

Chizik was a helluva DC.....much better than HC.  Wouldn't be bad.

nwapoolandspa

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 08, 2017, 10:59:15 am
The best defensive coordinator in the land is rob Ryan .... he is unemployed and did well when he was a college coach.

The Ryan brothers are hugely overrated IMO.  Their ships have sailed. 

Calling All Hogs

I'd bet Chizik is on the short list.

HogPharmer

December 08, 2017, 11:30:18 am #62 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:12:26 pm by HogPharmer
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 08, 2017, 10:22:21 am
Never heard of Chizik or this Auburn you speak of.  Can you elaborate?

Excerpt from Auburn University's wikipedia page:

Until Hugh Freeze took over at Ole Miss, Auburn, an SECw school located in the state of Alabama, had the highest payroll of players of any team in the country...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Uncle Remus

I guess I would be okay with that hire.  He's definitely qualified...just anything associated with Auburn has at least a little "stank" on it.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

wedge56

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 08, 2017, 11:30:18 am
Excerpt from Auburn University's wikipedia page:

Until Hugh Freeze took over at Ole Miss, Auburn, an SECw school located in the state of Alabama, had the highest payroll of players than any team in the country...
I don't care who you are - that's funny right there.

Jackson_64

I think this would be a great hire. If it is Chizik, we should know pretty soon?? No conflicts of interest other than TV obligations, and I'm sure we'd want our defensive recruits to know prior to early signing deadline...
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

zuko

I know one thing, that Chizik really goes up and down the sideline really fast.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porknoxville on December 08, 2017, 08:52:33 am
He would receive a nice payday, he knows the sec inside and out and would be given most likely associate HC title and heavy input on hiring his staff. I would absolutely love that hire!
Almost too good.
Go hogs!

When will some of you learn it isn't always about the payday to everyone.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porknoxville

Easy now.
Just one of many reasons this would be appealing to most. For Gene, faith, family, and impacting lives is important to him.
SAME as CCM.

Been10Hog

If he wants to be a HC again someday, he should take the open DC job at Bama. Coordinators there last one maybe two years then get a HC job

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Been10Hog on December 08, 2017, 12:43:36 pm
If he wants to be a HC again someday, he should take the open DC job at Bama. Coordinators there last one maybe two years then get a HC job

Can you imagine how old barner fans would react to that!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Been10Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 12:45:02 pm
Can you imagine how old barner fans would react to that!
I think he has something to prove to them. Which is why I think he would consider us if he doesn't go to Bama. If he can't beat Gus at their biggest rival then go beat him at the school he spurned.

HogNTX

Doubt very seriously that Chizik would come back a year after he left to spend more time with family.

Been10Hog

Quote from: HogNTX on December 08, 2017, 12:49:32 pm
Doubt very seriously that Chizik would come back a year after he left to spend more time with family.
I doubt it too! But, if he really wanted to get at Gus there are 2 openings that couldn't be any better for him to do that! But, then there's family.........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Been10Hog on December 08, 2017, 12:51:59 pm
I doubt it too! But, if he really wanted to get at Gus there are 2 openings that couldn't be any better for him to do that! But, then there's family.........

Perhaps his family is on board and thinks moving to NWA is a good thing.

Reservoir Hogs

has the SEC experience that CCM mentioned in this presser... best name I have heard so far.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rzback on December 08, 2017, 11:14:39 am
his knowledge and experience would probably be helpful to CCM but CCM sounded like he planned to run a 3-5 Defense
not totally; he clearly said his defense would be multiple, 3 man, 4 man lines. MULTIPLE, so some 3-3-5, sure.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 08, 2017, 10:59:15 am

This..! I didn't know...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogCard

Hmmmm.  "Football is what I do not who I am".  Sound familiar?

redeye

Not sure I'd be thrilled with Chizik.  He hasn't had a good defense in over 10 years and it seems like the game's passed him  by.  His last good defense was at Texas in 2006.

AHorseWithNoName

"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2017, 01:19:34 pm
Not sure I'd be thrilled with Chizik.  He hasn't had a good defense in over 10 years and it seems like the game's passed him  by.  His last good defense was at Texas in 2006.

He was a Broyles Award winner in 2004, and a finalist again in 2015 when UNC had a huge defensive turnaround in his first year there. They went from giving up 40+ points per game in 2014 to 20+ in 2015, and an 11-3 record.

Oklahawg

Solid hire. Hey, he could keep Paul Rhoads to coach DBs - keep the Iowa State thing going. (I am a Paul Rhoads fan, by the way, and think he might be a darkhorse to stick around.)

Morris can really balance the "experience" factor on his staff by luring a guy like Chizik to UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 03:03:49 pm
He was a Broyles Award winner in 2004, and a finalist again in 2015 when UNC had a huge defensive turnaround in his first year there. They went from giving up 40+ points per game in 2014 to 20+ in 2015, and an 11-3 record.

I'm looking at the NCAA stats for 2015 now.  UNC was #42 in Scoring Defense and #95 in Total Defense.

UNC gave up 24.5 points per game in 2015.  That's about the same as our defenses gave up under Petrino, which I'd actually be happy with, but Chizik did that in the ACC and it's only one year.

I don't know that Chizik would be bad, but he doesn't give me high hopes.

Bash

Quote from: hawgon on December 08, 2017, 09:31:57 am
Because the year before they were almost dead last.

He took it from the 120's to the 60's in 2 years.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

hogcards

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2017, 03:08:27 pm
Solid hire. Hey, he could keep Paul Rhoads to coach DBs - keep the Iowa State thing going. (I am a Paul Rhoads fan, by the way, and think he might be a darkhorse to stick around.)

Morris can really balance the "experience" factor on his staff by luring a guy like Chizik to UA.

He was fired today.

...thankfully and mercifully.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ronmahony

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 10:17:58 am
His speech from the 2015 Broyles Award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZe-neRmtE

That was pretty impressive. I really don't know much about him other than his time at Auburn. I have often wondered, now I don't care for Nutt in the least, but I have often wondered if he had an idea that Gus was going behind his back, trying to get his job. And I have often wondered if that happened in Auburn. Not saying that happened or not, just something I have always wondered. Anyhow I would be on board for Gene coming here.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

SPAL

Quote from: hawgdeere48 on December 08, 2017, 10:20:01 am
I am curious as to what environment you heard this in. In passing? Players talking about it? Booster? That would help determine some, if any validity. Not questioning you whatsoever and not intending my post to be anything but an attempt to settle my peaked curiosity! Thank you!
He heard it from pork rinds Jimmy who fenced some stolen memorabilia from some big time boosters.