Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Smith is out

Started by ipigsooie, December 07, 2017, 10:40:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ipigsooie

Looks like it's official.  Was thinking he had a shot.

From his  Twitter post

It's been a great 5 years here at the U of A! I'd like to thank all those who have loved and supported me and my family! I want to wish the Hogs great success in the future. And to my guys (Wideouts), remember to Represent Each Other, Represent The Team, and Represent You! WPS!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 07, 2017, 10:40:42 pm

From his  Twitter post

It's been a great 5 years here at the U of A! I'd like to thank all those who have loved and supported me and my family! I want to wish the Hogs great success in the future. And to my guys (Wideouts), remember to Represent Each Other, Represent The Team, and Represent You! WPS!!!

Crap. Just saw the coach Smith thread. Looked down but missed it.

CDBHawg

Donny2665

From his  Twitter post

Our receivers weren't lighting it up!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

redeye

I hate to question a new coach, but this just seems like a poor decision.  We don't know all the details, but Smith has been so valuable and now he'll become an asset for an opponent.

Calling All Hogs

Thank you for your Razorback service, Coach Smith! You were never the problem. I wish you well in the future!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

You were awesome coach Smith! You recruited Louisiana like no other!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

kp72204

I thought you did a great job. Thanks for your time and effort. Wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Grumpypenguin

Not too upset about it. Can't remember any receivers that got noticeably better

hobhog

alohawg

Yes, thanks coach,  hog for life!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

masbas3

From his  Twitter post

Always class, I really liked Smith but this is what happens in the coaching world, he'll be working again soon.

Aunt_Razorback

I was wondering the other day...and this post made me think about it again...what type of severance packages do all the assistant coaches and other staffers of CBB's (or any coach's) team receive? I understand a new coach wants to bring his own staff and it makes sense but I guess I was naieve not realizing how the process works. Anybody experienced in this area I'd like to know how all that works. Everyone knows the head coach gets the buy out so if the head coach fails to live up to the expectation and is let go then one by one a school just lets the new coach decide fate of all assistants? No judgment here just curious. I hope all CBB's staff get at least something substantial enough to carry them over until they find other career opportunities.

k.c.hawg

December 08, 2017, 04:57:36 am #13 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:10:20 am by k.c.hawg
Quote from: Aunt_Razorback on December 08, 2017, 04:07:37 am
I was wondering the other day...and this post made me think about it again...what type of severance packages do all the assistant coaches and other staffers of CBB's (or any coach's) team receive? I understand a new coach wants to bring his own staff and it makes sense but I guess I was naieve not realizing how the process works. Anybody experienced in this area I'd like to know how all that works. Everyone knows the head coach gets the buy out so if the head coach fails to live up to the expectation and is let go then one by one a school just lets the new coach decide fate of all assistants? No judgment here just curious. I hope all CBB's staff get at least something substantial enough to carry them over until they find other career opportunities.

Usually no severence pay. Some of the most coveted co-ordinators/assistants have multiple year contracts that have to be paid off but they are few and far between. The lowest paid coach on the Arkansas staff was Hargreaves at $300k. Michael Smith made $1.5m while he was at Arkansas, he'll be ok.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Aunt_Razorback

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 08, 2017, 04:57:36 am
Usually no severence pay. Some of the most coveted co-ordinators/assistants have multiple year contracts that have to be paid off but they are few and far between. The lowest paid coach on the Arkansas staff was Hargreaves at $300k. michael Smith made $1.5m while he was at Arkansas, he'll be ok.

Thanks for the info and agreed he should be ok 😉

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on December 07, 2017, 10:58:56 pm
I hate to question a new coach, but this just seems like a poor decision.  We don't know all the details, but Smith has been so valuable and now he'll become an asset for an opponent.

Oh good grief. You have no clue whether he goes to an "opponent" or not. Maybe he goes to a school we never have played or recruit against very much. IF you hate to question his decisions on staff right out of the box then don't. Let the man at least coach a year or two before questioning his staff decisions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 05:42:19 am
Oh good grief. You have no clue whether he goes to an "opponent" or not. Maybe he goes to a school we never have played or recruit against very much. IF you hate to question his decisions on staff right out of the box then don't. Let the man at least coach a year or two before questioning his staff decisions.

Exactly. There is not a soul on this board who really knows a thing about any of the assistant coaches. They know what group they coach and approx. area of recruiting the cover and that's about it but as far as them being good at either, they don't have a clue. 

New coach being hired and bringing in all new assistants and letting the current ones go is just how it works.  That's the reason assistants should rent and not buy. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 08, 2017, 06:01:26 am
Exactly. There is not a soul on this board who really knows a thing about any of the assistant coaches. They know what group they coach and approx. area of recruiting the cover and that's about it but as far as them being good at either, they don't have a clue. 

New coach being hired and bringing in all new assistants and letting the current ones go is just how it works.  That's the reason assistants should rent and not buy. 

IF I were an assistant coach I'd rent the cheapest decent place I could find then buy a vacation home somewhere like on Beaver Lake or in the mountains where I would hope to retire to someday.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 06:04:44 am
IF I were an assistant coach I'd rent the cheapest decent place I could find then buy a vacation home somewhere like on Beaver Lake or in the mountains where I would hope to retire to someday.

Assistants are a nomadic group.  Just googled Smith and in the last 20 years he's gone from KSU to Rice to Arizona to KSU to Ark.  Being let go just comes with the turf and it's generally nothing personal. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 08, 2017, 06:15:42 am
Assistants are a nomadic group.  Just googled Smith and in the last 20 years he's gone from KSU to Rice to Arizona to KSU to Ark.  Being let go just comes with the turf and it's generally nothing personal.

I could see him going back to KSU

Athog

I think Coach CM wants a coach who he has worked with and knows his system! That is the way of coaching.

bob slydell

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on December 08, 2017, 01:10:30 am
Not too upset about it. Can't remember any receivers that got noticeably better

It's more about his recruiting.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

dpetty121263

Well these Assistants failed so why would you retain them?

Swinefeld

I couldn't stand CBB, but I thought Smith was an excellent wide receiver coach.  He just had an inexperienced group this year.  Not real sure I like this move

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 08, 2017, 06:15:42 am

It is rare an assistant stays at one place very long no matter what level. There are some industries that are known for high turnover. Coaching is one of them. You are right it isn't personal. It is business.

DeltaBoy

All the Best to Coach Smith.  Hope you land somewhere sunny and warm.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 08, 2017, 07:38:44 am
It's more about his recruiting.

Okay but who gives a Frank about his recruiting if the players he recruits aren't improving

Been10Hog

Our receivers have underperformed. Seems like a great guy, but with the #s put up by SMU's receivers and the inability of our receivers to get separation and consistently catch the ball, this was going to happen

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on December 08, 2017, 08:40:22 am
Okay but who gives a Frank about his recruiting if the players he recruits aren't improving
Most of the players he recruited actually weren't at his position group. He isn't responsible for other position coaches inability to develop players
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 08, 2017, 04:57:36 am
Usually no severence pay. Some of the most coveted co-ordinators/assistants have multiple year contracts that have to be paid off but they are few and far between. The lowest paid coach on the Arkansas staff was Hargreaves at $300k. Michael Smith made $1.5m while he was at Arkansas, he'll be ok.

All of the coaches on a year to year contract will be paid thru June, 2018. Smith and Herbert had multi multi-year contracts, as did Enos and Rhoads. As you said, they've been well compensated.

Aunt_Razorback

Thank you for all the info. Hope the best for those comin and goin 🐽

hawgtime

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 08, 2017, 12:25:20 am
You were awesome coach Smith! You recruited Louisiana like no other!

I am looking forward to getting some Studs! who did Smith get from Lousiana?