Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables is (probably not) coming to Arkansas

Started by CattleCorn, December 07, 2017, 09:06:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

searkhogfan

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 07, 2017, 09:25:10 am
What's to explain? He hopes that Morris doesn't view Todd Graham as "THE best defensive coordinator in the country", because apparently the OP wouldn't share that sentiment.

I took it that he didn't want Todd Graham.  Most here think Venables is a pipe dream at best.  Graham is known as a very good defensive coordinator.  And he gave Morris his start at Tulsa.  So I could very well see it being Graham.  I just wanted to know why he didn't want him. But since you're evidently his mouth piece.  I'll take it as "just because ".   Woo Pig

pghawg1

It may not be Ventables, but it does sound like we are going to pay up for the D C so that says we are looking at other big names.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 07, 2017, 09:10:46 am
Bwa-ha-ha-ha, no he is not.
While that'd make the Chad Morris hire a lot more palatable, there's not even the slightest of chances of this happening.

I don't understand why people want Venables but don't want Morris when Morris is the one with HC experience and as much or more of the architect of Clemson's turnaround.

OtterHog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 07, 2017, 09:32:41 am
I don't understand why people want Venebles but don't want Morris when Morris is the one with HC experience and as much or more of the architect of Clemson's turnaround.

Because people are stupid.

hogcards

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 09:30:20 am
I took it that he didn't want Todd Graham.  Most here think Venables is a pipe dream at best.  Graham is known as a very good defensive coordinator.  And he gave Morris his start at Tulsa.  So I could very well see it being Graham.  I just wanted to know why he didn't want him. But since you're evidently his mouth piece.  I'll take it as "just because ".   Woo Pig

Nobody wants Todd Graham.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hawgdavis

The longer we have to wait on the DC hire the more likely I think it will be CV.
JMHO

hogoffate

Not advocating for it, but Chavis contract is done at Tamu and if Fisher doesn't retain him, he could be a viable option if he desired to go that way.  Chavis is familiar with SEC offenses.

moses_007

CiriusPorker

My source last updated me that we've attempted Venables at Assistant HC...whether that went through or not...2.5 million would be the venables salary.

root_hawg

The real Hogules

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 09:30:20 am

Maybe if you explained your question better, then I could do a better job relaying what the OP's thoughts on the topic were!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

searkhogfan

younghog

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 09:18:58 am

Please explain

My son goes to ASU now.. And if Todd Graham as a HC cannot have his best foot print on their defense.. I know his days are over in that area..

PAC-12 OFFENSE are finesse compared to the SEC..

Graham is not the answer
GO HOGS

searkhogfan

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 07, 2017, 09:42:33 am
Maybe if you explained your question better, then I could do a better job relaying what the OP's thoughts on the topic were!

Because he wants Venables more than Graham ???  Or he doesn't want Graham at all.  I'm not promoting Graham.  But I do think he's an excellent DC. And I could see why Morris would hire him.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 07, 2017, 09:17:04 am
The people who say this are just as likely to be wrong as the OP.  Nobody knows.  The best guess is probably not, but there are reasons to believe it is possible.

Well from a probability standpoint they are more likely to be right if they say this about every candidate.   If we have 10 legit candidates and someone says about each of them "LOL there's no way, this is a pipe dream, you guys are dumb." They are going to be right 9 times and wrong only once. Some people are desperate for validation so they just say every hire isn't going to happen and they can be right most of the time.

searkhogfan

Quote from: younghog on December 07, 2017, 09:48:19 am
My son goes to ASU now.. And if Todd Graham as a HC cannot have his best foot print on their defense.. I know his days are over in that area..

PAC-12 OFFENSE are finesse compared to the SEC..

Graham is not the answer

Thank You,  for your explanation.  And I can see your point.

31to6

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 07, 2017, 09:41:00 am
My source last updated me that we've attempted Venables at Assistant HC...whether that went through or not...2.5 million would be the venables salary.
So I don't think money would make Venables move. Frankly, Clemson would probably grudgingly counter and all of a sudden the pay scale for coordinators would go up even more.

But I can buy the idea that Venables and Morris are very good friends and want to build something together. In other words a non-monetary motivation.

If Venables were just about money he would have gone the head coach route years ago. (He still could at just about any time. Lots of P5 schools would bury him in piles of cash.)

Feels like a long-shot, but even if it is not Venables, Morris can't say "the best DC in the country" and bring in someone that doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

The real Hogules

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 09:49:18 am
Because he wants Venables more than Graham ???  Or he doesn't want Graham at all.  I'm not promoting Graham.  But I do think he's an excellent DC. And I could see why Morris would hire him.

Dude(?) I was just messing with you in my last post.
I don't generally speak for another poster, but his comments were pretty straight forward. He doesn't view Todd Graham as THE best defensive coordinator, and hoped that Morris didn't view Graham as the end all be all at DC, either.
Morris didn't say that he was getting a competent DC, he said that he was getting THE best. The OP obviously doesn't think that Todd Graham fits that bill.

razorbackfaninar

searkhogfan

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 07, 2017, 09:54:41 am
Dude(?) I was just messing with you in my last post.
I don't generally speak for another poster, but his comments were pretty straight forward. He doesn't view Todd Graham as THE best defensive coordinator, and hoped that Morris didn't view Graham as the end all be all at DC, either.
Morris didn't say that he was getting a competent DC, he said that he was getting THE best. The OP obviously doesn't think that Todd Graham fits that bill.

He said he hoped not. I asked him to explain (I guess I could've said WHY). But anyway he did come back with a legit explanation. To which I can appreciate. But in between you chose to intervene.  You should've stuck to your normal pattern.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

d3maybe

I can't make my self believe that Venables would come here in any capacity other than head coach. If he does, though, that would be the coup of coups...

The Hawg Marshal

This is not a good thing to get started .Now when the DC is named everyone will be disappointed that it's not Venables , even though whomever it is could be really good.

RME

What's he supposed to say? "We're gonna have the 3rd best defensive coordinator in the country!"

The Kig

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 07, 2017, 09:17:04 am
The people who say this are just as likely to be wrong as the OP.  Nobody knows.  The best guess is probably not, but there are reasons to believe it is possible.

Slimmest of reasons...but will hold out hope. 

Obvious coach speak, regardless of who it is.  Anyone realistically think he would tell them anything differently?  "Bawz, I got a guy for Defense...he sorta sucks, but don't care cuz we gonna score more than everyone".
Poker Porker

Hawg Red

The real Hogules

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 10:02:22 am
He said he hoped not. I asked him to explain (I guess I could've said WHY). But anyway he did come back with a legit explanation. To which I can appreciate. But in between you chose to intervene.  You should've stuck to your normal pattern.

Nah, I felt like irritating an a-hole today.
Goal achieved!

Oliver

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:13:09 am
What's he supposed to say? "We're gonna have the 3rd best defensive coordinator in the country!"

Maybe just "One of the best defensive coordinators in the country."  unless he honestly believed them to be the best.

That's nitpicking but it's also not using absolutes.

forrest city joe

Quote from: pghawg1 on December 07, 2017, 09:32:34 am
It may not be Ventables, but it does sound like we are going to pay up for the D C so that says we are looking at other big names.
And that's the bottom line.no more doing it with the Kurt Anderson of the world.of Arkansas is going to win.they better hire some great coaches.

Corkscrew Johnson

I'm glad I watched that.  He definitely didn't make a declaration that he had lined up the best coordinator in football.  He said it in the same breath as we are going to have the best special teams in football. 

Seems like a nice guy.  Wasn't exceptionally articulate, motivational, or oozing charisma, but seemed focused.  I'm wondering what he said to hit the interview out of the park. 

theFlyingHog

Venables? I heard we're getting The Hitman hisself.

That's right, Vinny The Hitman Ascolese.

Con el Cerdos

Guys, the A&M DC is probably available now. 

I don't know if he's the best, but I know this, he's damn good.

jgphillips3

The longer we go without an official DC announcement, the more likely I will believe this to be.  In the meantime, it probably is best to let it rest just in case it is indeed a possibility.

searkhogfan

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 07, 2017, 10:20:31 am
Nah, I felt like irritating an a-hole today.
Goal achieved!

Not irritated.  Usually a person will start attempting to sling insults when they get irritated.  A-Hole is my nickname. Ask my wife.  😘

RME

Based on what he just said, Venables is not coming to Arkansas. Can this.

OtterHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:27:50 am

He never was. But Gus was allegedly coming to Arkansas as well.

The Hawg Marshal

Ok after watching his introductory press conference that should end all of the Venables talk.

The Kig

Graham was fired, but is supposed to coach in his bowl game.  Much more likely option.
Poker Porker

RME

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 07, 2017, 10:28:22 am
He never was. But Gus was allegedly coming to Arkansas as well.

*furiously Googles every defensive coordinator Morris has played against*

PorkRinds

Can't watch. What did he say?

CattleCorn

I'll admit, after what CCM just said in response to questioning about Venables, it doesn't sound like he's coming.  He didn't say no, but still.  Not likely, it seems.

Hawg Red

Should have been pretty clear that when a new coach says he's going to bring in the best whatever coach, he means he's going to bring in the best coach he can hire and that guy will be the best because he's with the team. But alas....people get carried away.

OkieBack

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:13:09 am

Yeah, it's all speculation.  But for Venables to come to Fayetteville as DC it would signify (A) he has no intent to ever become a HC, (B) there would probably be a significant pay increase, and (C) may be he's not entirely happy at Clemson or wants to be back in this region of the country.

I would say this has a 5% chance of happening and it all just coach talk.  But Morris can't make that statement then bring in a slouch DC.  Hopefully he has someone up his sleeve that has coached in a P5 conference and has actually had a defense ranked in the Top 20 in recent years. 

bjeffersonhog

You can interpret that any way you want.   He really tried to avoid it by saying dabo wouldn't like that.  Then mentioned having a short list.  People who think he's coming will take it that way.   People who think those people are crazy will take it as a no

HogKong

I believe every head coach believes he is hiring the best DC when he hires that person.....what's he going to say? Guys we are bringing in an alright DC! He's not the best, but he's also not the worst!! So get fired up!! This correlates to being some up and comer from UTEP who CCM thinks is the next BV!

theFlyingHog

I interpret things differently

CattleCorn

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2017, 10:30:14 am
Can't watch. What did he say?

He said Swinney wouldn't like it if he stole Venables.  And said he had a short list of candidates, some that he's played against and been around.