Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Ignore the record" Espn

Started by Next1_04, December 07, 2017, 07:43:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21597213/chad-morris-arkansas-razorbacks-coveted-losing-record

DALLAS -- Ignore the record.

Yes, it defies logic, but if you can't look beyond the wins and losses with Chad Morris, you'll never understand why he landed a good Power 5 job.

Not every on-the-rise college coaching candidate is created equal, and if it seems as if Morris is put in a different category than others in similar positions, it's true. His tenure at SMU includes eight more losses than wins, and the Mustangs finished tied for third in the AAC's West Division this season. Morris has guided SMU to bowl eligibility for the first time, but he isn't chasing championships like UCF's Scott Frost, Memphis' Mike Norvell, Boise State's Bryan Harsin, Arkansas State's Blake Anderson, Troy's Neal Brown or Toledo's Jason Candle.

2017-18 FBS head-coaching changes:
Here is a list of the FBS head-coaching changes made during the 2017 season.
All of those coaches have much better FBS records than Morris. Some, like Morris, also enjoyed success as former Power 5 offensive coordinators. Yet Morris just landed an SEC job at Arkansas, while the others listed above, outside of Frost, have not moved up yet.

The reason? A unique profile with national connections in the college game, and, more important, virtually unparalleled local connections in a state that produces more FBS talent than any other.

Morris was the first college coach to work with Deshaun Watson, Clemson's generational quarterback, who stayed at Morris' house earlier this fall when Hurricane Harvey displaced the Houston Texans to Dallas. Morris' success as Clemson's offensive coordinator laid the groundwork for the Tigers' remarkable run the past few years. He's also a Texas legend after spending 16 years as a high school head coach in the state, taking six teams to state title games and winning three, including back-to-back undefeated championships during his final two years at Austin powerhouse Lake Travis. He was named coach of the year 11 times before entering the college ranks as an assistant for Todd Graham at Tulsa, where he spent a year before heading to Clemson.

"Knute Rockne could go to SMU and probably have the same record that he's got right now. Chad's done a phenomenal job at SMU. You can't just look at a win-loss record."

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney
He also has won big everywhere but SMU. Should it excuse his 14-22 record with the Mustangs? Not completely. But Morris might be the rare candidate who simply needed to lead a college program before leading a bigger college program, rather than a coach who needed to flourish at the former to leapfrog to the latter.

"Knute Rockne could go to SMU and probably have the same record that he's got right now," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney told ESPN.com. "Chad's done a phenomenal job at SMU. You can't just look at a win-loss record. You can't. You've got to look past that. You've got to pull the curtain back and see the bigger picture."

Those taking a wider view of Morris might see SMU as the place he won the least but grew the most. It started with learning how to fail. Not losing-championship-games-in-heartbreaking-fashion failing. Like, real failing.

The Mustangs went 1-11 the year before he arrived after a brief renaissance under June Jones. SMU's local ties had frayed as Morris inherited a roster with 64 non-Texans. The facilities were outdated. The Mustangs went 2-10 in his first year with six losses by 20 points or more. The season culminated with a 63-0 loss at Memphis.

Morris and his staff were forced to "surrender the outcome."

"We were coaching harder than we ever coached, and we weren't getting the results on the scoreboard like we wanted," he said. "It was frustrating for our staff, for our coaches, for the players. We had to say, 'We just might be good enough, so we've got to focus on the daily wins.' It was just daily, a best-you-can-be day.

"I learned a lot about myself that way."

Morris knew how to manage people. He had led football staffs of 35 and athletic departments of 75-80 as a Texas high school coach/athletic director. He also knew the booster world from his time under Swinney at Clemson. But at SMU, he had to become a better delegator, which meant backing away from the offense, which wasn't easy.

After calling plays in Year 1, Morris relinquished duties to Joe Craddock, a 30-year-old who had been Morris' graduate assistant at Clemson before joining him at SMU.

Chad Morris' work with Deshaun Watson at Clemson is one of his biggest selling points. AP Photo/Anderson Independent-Mail/Mark Crammer
"I've been a top offensive coordinator," Morris said. "I know what it's supposed to look like. I know the time you have to put in, and I can't give that time. It's not fair to these kids and these coaches. I can't be a great head coach and a great coordinator."

In team meetings, he started to address the entire room rather than directing his message toward the offense.

"At this level, the biggest challenge, and it certainly was for me, too, is you try to do too much," Swinney said. "As he's progressed, he has really developed a great trust for his staff, and empowered those guys, and realized how to be efficient with his time and be the best asset that he can be for his staff."

Morris spent less time on play designs and more on the topic all modern-day coaches seem to emphasize: program culture. He also focused on making SMU a Texas-centric program again.

All 47 players SMU signed in his first two recruiting classes came from Texas. His 2017 class included only Texas high school players, as well as three transfers from out of state. SMU has an open-door policy with high school coaches, who come in droves for out-of-season practices to pack the sidelines and chop it up with Morris.

"I'm the only head coach in this state that has sat behind that desk, both as a head high school coach and a head Division I coach, now that [former Baylor coach Art Briles] is gone," said Morris, on the 2018 ballot for the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. "I knew my connections back in this state were going to be what it would take to rebuild this program, the connections with the high school coaches. It's a big deal. It's a fraternity."

Morris didn't need the SMU stint to land a Power 5 job. He became the nation's highest-paid assistant in 2012, earning $1.3 million at Clemson. If he'd stayed with the Tigers, he would have a national title and would be by far the nation's most coveted coordinator. "Not gonna lie," Morris said with a smile, "wish I was there when they won it."

"He's human, right?" SMU athletic director Rick Hart said. "It hasn't been, in any way, a second-guessing. But I left Oklahoma in 2006 to take the athletics director job at Chattanooga. It's hard when you go from BCS bowl games and Final Fours and then you don't have that. Of course, you're going to sit there and think, 'Man you don't get too many chances to play for a national championship.'

"If he wasn't having those thoughts, I'd be worried."

Morris' desire for success churns the way it always did, perhaps even more so now than ever. He improved SMU's win total in each season, but the big breakthrough hasn't come.

Still, it was enough to move up the coaching ladder in a way it isn't for most candidates. But Chad Morris isn't most candidates.

"He's well prepared for any program," Swinney said, "because all of your experience matters."

ThisTeetsTaken

I like this:

"I'm the only head coach in this state that has sat behind that desk, both as a head high school coach and a head Division I coach, now that [former Baylor coach Art Briles] is gone," said Morris, on the 2018 ballot for the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame. "I knew my connections back in this state were going to be what it would take to rebuild this program, the connections with the high school coaches. It's a big deal. It's a fraternity."
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PorkRinds

Sounds like he won't be the one calling plays.

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

cjack

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2017, 08:07:56 am
Sounds like he won’t be the one calling plays.

That was something I didn't know.  I thought he was the play caller.  It doesn't look like the OC was just a slot to fill. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

PorkRinds

Quote from: cjack on December 07, 2017, 08:13:25 am
That was something I didn't know.  I thought he was the play caller.  It doesn't look like the OC was just a slot to fill.

Same. I thought he called the plays.  His reasoning makes perfect sense.

hoglady

You know - maybe we did get lucky.
Maybe we just couldn't see the forest for the trees.

If he had stayed at Clemson as OC, he would not be the Arkansas coach now.
He would be at Texas or the Aggies.

Time will tell.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogFaninMemphis

Man, this article makes him look awesome. gets me excited!
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2017, 08:07:56 am
Sounds like he won't be the one calling plays.

I'm like everybody else in figuring he was the play caller but that answers that question.

I realize the phrase "read more and post less" is worn out here on Hogville but  this may be one instance where a lot of people need to read a little more about the hire before they post negative thoughts.  Still love his Texas connections. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 07, 2017, 07:53:12 am
I like this:

So my guess is Morris wont be mocking other Texas HSHC's for using the spread like our former HC?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

BRHogfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 07, 2017, 08:31:27 am
I'm like everybody else in figuring he was the play caller but that answers that question.

I realize the phrase "read more and post less" is worn out here on Hogville but  this may be one instance where a lot of people need to read a little more about the hire before they post negative thoughts.  Still love his Texas connections.

Isn't that the biggest knock that we don't know enough about the guy and that he has a 14-22 collegiate coaching record?

All the reading in the world won't fix that until we like what we see on the field. 

hoglady

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 07, 2017, 08:34:02 am
The endless supply of Kool-aid is so delicious and satisfying......drink.... drink deeply and remain in the fog..........

He's like any other coach.
He will either succeed here or fail - and at this point NO ONE knows which of those will happen.

Why just assume he will fail?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

userpick

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2017, 08:50:08 am

He will either succeed here or fail - and at this point NO ONE knows which of those will happen.

Because he wants to be right more than he wants Arkansas to succeed.

Science Fiction Greg

The endless supply of Kool-aid is so delicious and satisfying......drink.... drink deeply and remain in the fog..........

At this point, you have to be working pretty hard to remain this ignorant.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 07, 2017, 08:55:26 am
At this point, you have to be working pretty hard to remain this ignorant.

He's obviously getting in more than 40 hrs/week.

RazorChuck

Drink up, you will eventually get full.

HogFaninMemphis

Come on, man, just read the article. It says the same thing that coaches around America have been saying the past few days: 14-22 is completely out of context and doesn't consider the dumpster fire he inherited, along with the fact that SMU is a terrible program, even compared to the AAC. He got it off the scrapheap in short order, and as that article stated, he just needed experience, not wins.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2017, 08:50:08 am

The safe assumption is that what he has been he will continue to be unless he is both willing and able to be something different.

We will see what he has to say this morning but I've seen no indications he has anything different in mind.  With allowances for the effect of the different level of competition he will face I see predictable results.

Can that be a wrong assumption?  Yes, Bielema certain had most of us fooled or he changed but he truly was the exception.  Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfield were predictable.  Nutt was predictable to a few, most notably Orville Henry though I will freely admit I bought into Nutt's sales pitch in the early years.  Petrino's Shakespearean fate was sadly predictable as was the clowning of John L. Smith.

Now comes Chad Morris with what looks like a more professional sales pitch than Nutt and just enough of a record to suggest what the future holds.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone to agree with me.  I'm just putting down a marker to remember when we are at this point four or five years from today.

Insanity remains doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

jdlew

December 07, 2017, 09:35:22 am #18 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:32:34 am by jdlew

You don't have the drink the Kool- Aid....He and coaches before him know how to coach....Can he recruit players that the previous coaches could not get to Arkansas???...If the talent in Arkansas picks up and he gets back into Texas in a big way...maybe he can get us back in the top 25...I never drank the kook-aid with Mike Anderson..still waiting and hoping  for him to do something...I've been doing this since  1960...Best thing if you are a Hog fan is..."Don't get to high and Don't get to low"..

DeltaBoy

This could be a generational hire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Next1_04

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.