Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dallas radio discussing Morris today

Started by Arthur pigby sellers., December 06, 2017, 10:32:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur pigby sellers.

The Ticket 96.7 did a 15 minute segment on his hiring. The radio personalities were all impartial observers. They spoke very highly of what he accomplished at SMU and thought he was a good hire for us. It sounds like SMU was a true dumpster fire when he took over. They also mentioned the apathy of the SMU fan base and the difficulties associated with being a coach at SMU.  He has a reputation as a good recruiter as well. Nothing earth shattering, but thought y'all might like to know how other places view this hire.

tophog64

Missed that segment, I missed alot of the white elephant day. Hopefully it shows up on the unticket.

HardCore

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 06, 2017, 10:32:04 pm
It sounds like SMU was a true dumpster fire when he took over. They also mentioned the apathy of the SMU fan base and the difficulties associated with being a coach at SMU. 

They need Sherwood Blount, Jr. back in the mix
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 06, 2017, 10:32:04 pm
The Ticket 96.7 did a 15 minute segment on his hiring. The radio personalities were all impartial observers. They spoke very highly of what he accomplished at SMU and thought he was a good hire for us. It sounds like SMU was a true dumpster fire when he took over. They also mentioned the apathy of the SMU fan base and the difficulties associated with being a coach at SMU.  He has a reputation as a good recruiter as well. Nothing earth shattering, but thought y'all might like to know how other places view this hire.

This is from an October article.

The announced attendance for the Tulsa game was 14,930 but the eye test told you that the number through the gate was a fraction of that. Sections of the stadium hosted just a handful of fans each, especially in the north end zone.

Svrdhd

The plane interview on the way to Fayetteville mentioned him riding through campus cajoling students to attend the games. That's got to be emotionally draining.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: twistitup on December 07, 2017, 07:18:49 am
CBB to smu?

I hear Simon Fraser University is looking for a new HC. It's D2 but it's in Canada, close to Vancouver. I bet he's up for that. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Svrdhd on December 07, 2017, 08:27:59 am
The plane interview on the way to Fayetteville mentioned him riding through campus cajoling students to attend the games. That's got to be emotionally draining.

That's the way city colleges are. When not winning, people don't go. So many more options. A few years ago Miami had a bad season, 100 showed up to one of their games.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

RazorChuck

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 07, 2017, 07:22:52 am
This is from an October article.

The announced attendance for the Tulsa game was 14,930 but the eye test told you that the number through the gate was a fraction of that. Sections of the stadium hosted just a handful of fans each, especially in the north end zone.
Well, we have that to look forward to.

FutureMan

I appreciate the info.  Thanks for sharing!
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

HoggyCat

Awesome! That'll help recruiting there.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: twistitup on December 07, 2017, 07:18:49 am
CBB to smu?

I could see Sumlin landing there.  Would be a good choice for them and him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 07, 2017, 08:36:29 am
Well, we have that to look forward to.

There are more fans that bailed because of Bielema that are going to come back than you guys that can't see past Chad Morris's record at SMU.  Attendance is almost definitely going to be up, not down.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

go hogues

Quote from: Svrdhd on December 07, 2017, 08:27:59 am
He may have to resort to that while at the UA. Our student section is pretty small, by SEC standards.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

East Clintwood

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 07, 2017, 08:34:26 am
That's the way city colleges are. When not winning, people don't go. So many more options. A few years ago Miami had a bad season, 100 showed up to one of their games.

Yes, and SMU is really small.  Only 6,000 undergrad students.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

DeltaBoy

Kevin Sumlin would be a great hire for SMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 07, 2017, 08:54:49 am
I could see Sumlin landing there.  Would be a good choice for them and him.

Yes that makes much more sense than CBB.

lawhawg20

The attendance numbers are always inflated at SMU because you have to buy football season tickets in order to be eligible for basketballl season tickets.  I've been to games at Ford Stadium that easily had less than 5,000---for conference games.

jgphillips3

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 07, 2017, 09:56:38 am
Kevin Sumlin would be a great hire for SMU!

That would be a perfect step down, reset job for him.

NWASooner

For the people carping about his total record at SMU, it's obvious that you don't understand what a dumpster fire it was when Morris got there and how hard it is to coach there in the first place.  It's not like it's a springboard for up and coming coaches.  It's where coaches go to die.

RME

GolfnHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:43:45 am
Poor Rafe.

Believe he is or will be eligible as a Grad-transfer. It wouldn't be completely out of the picture to see him come back. It does give the Hogs 1 QB that is familiar with CCM's offense.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Mjs84