Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Texas?

Started by Wooderson, December 06, 2017, 07:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

I know we need to hit Texas better, but I am starting to worry that we are going to swing the pendulum too far the other way.  Texas is great, but I'm sorry Louisiana is better and we have done well there.  This staff will do well to hit Texas hard, but we are playing with fire if we drop Louisiana and don't try to get back into Mississippi since Ole Miss will be down.

Curious to see how this plays out.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Großer Kriegschwein

Meh....

We'll always recruit Louisiana. Have always recruited Louisiana and will continue to recruit Louisiana.

Just because he is recruiting Texas hard doesn't mean that's the only place he is gonna recruit.

Chill, he's only been on the job for 8 hours.
This is my non-signature signature.

The_Iceman

Needed more on defense than offense.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Wooderson on December 06, 2017, 07:59:19 pm
I know we need to hit Texas better, but I am starting to worry that we are going to swing the pendulum too far the other way.  Texas is great, but I'm sorry Louisiana is better and we have done well there.  This staff will do well to hit Texas hard, but we are playing with fire if we drop Louisiana and don't try to get back into Mississippi since Ole Miss will be down.

Not sure your argument holds water.  Per 247 Sports, the last 5 years Louisiana has turned out 74, 4 and 5 star players while Texas has turned out 229.  FWIW, Mississippi has turned out 38 and Arkansas, 15.  Can you imagine how many 3 stars are in the state of TX?  Bet it would blow your mind. 

If we are to be successful we need to adopt OU's formula and that is cherry pick the state and they get the bulk of our talent from TX and get what we can from LA, MS and wherever else we can. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

theFlyingHog

If we keep coach Smith then Louisiana will be taken care of just fine

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 06, 2017, 08:19:57 pm
If we keep coach Smith then Louisiana will be taken care of just fine

Smith's only good quality was recruiting Louisiana.

He definitely wasn't in the Top 25 WR coaches in the country.

He recruited in a niche market in Louisiana, primarily, because we got run out of Texas due to some "blunders" on the off season speaking circuit.
This is my non-signature signature.

bphi11ips

Louisiana is important.  Texas is critical. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SavageHog

In an interview on the plane here, he said the core recruiting area would be Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. But they would also go elsewhere.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:18:17 pm
Not sure your argument holds water.  Per 247 Sports, the last 5 years Louisiana has turned out 74, 4 and 5 star players while Texas has turned out 229.  FWIW, Mississippi has turned out 38 and Arkansas, 15.  Can you imagine how many 3 stars are in the state of TX?  Bet it would blow your mind. 

If we are to be successful we need to adopt OU's formula and that is cherry pick the state and they get the bulk of our talent from TX and get what we can from LA, MS and wherever else we can. 

This has been the potion for great Arkansas teams versus just so-so Arkansas teams.  I think you guys know we have been so-so for too long.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Laughing Hog

This is great..........

"Chopper Chad" and a little red bull..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THM7d9x6a4 

Does NetJets have chopper cards, cause we need to get him one for recruiting

Someone also mentioned something about a "Woo Pig Sooie Huey" for instate recruiting, we need to get him one of those as well, oh and he needs to get us an awesome recruit'n machine DC
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Wooderson

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:18:17 pm

Total numbers you're correct.  However the NFL has roughly 250 players from Texas.  Louisiana has almost 100. Yet Texas has 28 million people compared to 4 million in Louisiana. The odds are substantially greater that a Louisiana player is NFL quality than a Texas player.

DeltaBoy

Coach got it going on like Donkey Kong!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Wooderson on December 06, 2017, 08:57:03 pm
Total numbers you're correct.  However the NFL has roughly 250 players from Texas.  Louisiana has almost 100. Yet Texas has 28 million people compared to 4 million in Louisiana. The odds are substantially greater that a Louisiana player is NFL quality than a Texas player.

Personally, I'd like my chances of landing a 3-4 players out of 225 or so than the same number out of 75. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

redeye

December 06, 2017, 09:38:39 pm #13 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:22:36 pm by redeye
One thing that Bielema and Coach Smith did well was improve our production out of Louisiana.  We've recruited far better there under Bielema, than at any time in the past, and the LA recruits have been very good.  It took a long time to build those pipelines and losing them would be counterproductive.

This is why so many want to see Coach Smith retained.

edit: I'll add that if Coach Smith is not retained, he'll likely be scooped up by one of our SEC-W opponents.  He's well liked in Louisiana and LSU has shown interest in the past.

Pork Twain

I think the GOBN finally got it right with the last two hires, both with strong Texas ties.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The Boar War

I'm interested to see if our dip in Texas recruiting is from lack of emphasis on our part or from Texas kids not wanting to play a majority of their games outside of their area.

Mjs84

Wooderson

Let's ask another question. Outside of Oklahoma, what other team that has Texas as their primary recruiting source has been nationally relevant?  The answer is none. Texas puts out quantity.  That is it. This premise that everyone has latched onto and caused a complete change of our entire department is not supported by the facts. I get that we need more than 15 on our roster, but we don't need to shift course so drastically. We finally made some headway into the state that produces the most NFL talent per capita and we are about to jack it up for a twisted nostalgia of the old days.

And what about Mississippi?  Get someone on board to hit Mississippi. With ole Miss down it's a no brainier.

Ozarkhog05

Quote from: Wooderson on December 06, 2017, 07:59:19 pm

He said that his focus would be east tx, dfw, OK, Northern LA, and AR. Also, most non P5 schools generally get their talent from closer to campus. Take A State for instance,  they sign probably double the players out of AR than the Hogs. CCM will also have more resources to recruit on a broad scale here.

Hugo Bezdek

Let's put some numbers to it. On average (give or take a few from year to year), our classes should look something lile this:

AR - 6
TX - 6
LA - 4
OK/MO - 3
Mem/MS - 2
Southeast - 2
JC/TR - 2

I don't think that's outlandish. We'll always have an uphill fight with the home teams for talent in those states, but there's enough talent for us to steal a few. The status quo will have to change though. We have to be a better option for these kids than Baylor, TT, TCU, OSU, etc. And we're going to have to win some head to head battles with OU, A&M, LSU, etc. if we ever expect to rise above middle of the pack.

rtr

I would also throw in Kansas City and St. Louis areas as a source of recruits.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hawg2afault

All the speed is in CA, TX and FL. 

rtr

I bet Morris recruited Georgia and South Carolina hard while at Clemson.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

shshark00

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 07, 2017, 06:50:07 am
Let's put some numbers to it. On average (give or take a few from year to year), our classes should look something lile this:

AR - 6
TX - 6
LA - 4
OK/MO - 3
Mem/MS - 2
Southeast - 2
JC/TR - 2

I don't think that's outlandish. We'll always have an uphill fight with the home teams for talent in those states, but there's enough talent for us to steal a few. The status quo will have to change though. We have to be a better option for these kids than Baylor, TT, TCU, OSU, etc. And we're going to have to win some head to head battles with OU, A&M, LSU, etc. if we ever expect to rise above middle of the pack.

I really don't think AR can produce 6 SEC caliber players a year. I think 4 is a more realistic number.

gawntrail

AR - 6
TX - 6
LA - 4
OK/MO - 3
Mem/MS - 2
Southeast - 2
JC/TR - 2

There should be no quotas, minimums, or maximums from any area.  We should target speed, athleticism, and aggressiveness, and then go wherever it is found and sell our asses off.  We should be able to go anywhere in the country and walk in to a recruits home or his coaches office and say, "I don't care what XXX is saying to you.... YOU NEED TO BE A HOG!!

mobalding

Quote from: Laughing Hog on December 06, 2017, 08:51:50 pm
Someone also mentioned something about a "Woo Pig Sooie Huey" for instate recruiting, we need to get him one of those as well, oh and he needs to get us an awesome recruit'n machine DC

"When Hogs Fly"

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: gawntrail on December 07, 2017, 07:04:13 am
There should be no quotas, minimums, or maximums from any area.  We should target speed, athleticism, and aggressiveness, and then go wherever it is found and sell our asses off.  We should be able to go anywhere in the country and walk in to a recruits home or his coaches office and say, "I don't care what XXX is saying to you.... YOU NEED TO BE A HOG!!

I'm not talking about quotas, I'm talking about where you put your resources. Our recruiters recruit largely by building relationships with the high school coaches in the areas they are assigned to. You can't be everywhere and do that.

Wooderson

Quote from: Hawg2afault on December 07, 2017, 06:56:35 am
All the speed is in CA, TX and FL. 

Texas football is system football generally speaking.  Of course there are athletes, but Louisiana produces exceptional athletes. 

We have a staff that in 2016 and 2017 recruited all texas players except for one oklahoma and one mississippi junior college player.  That is concerning.  Awesome, they have Texas connections.  What are their Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma connections?

TexHog188

Quote from: Wooderson on December 07, 2017, 06:34:15 am
Let's ask another question. Outside of Oklahoma, what other team that has Texas as their primary recruiting source has been nationally relevant?  The answer is none. Texas puts out quantity.  That is it.

And what about Mississippi?  Get someone on board to hit Mississippi. With ole Miss down it's a no brainier.

Actually several teams from Texas and those with deep TX recruiting ties have been "relevant", but the structure of the BCS era and now the 4-team playoff, coupled with enept Big 12 leadership limited their opportunity to compete for championships. Examples are Baylor and TCU. Both have been very relevant within the top 10 over then past several years. We know Baylor is now toast, but that's not because of TX recruiting but rather corrupt leadership that allowed a toxic criminal culture to spawn and thrive.  Oklahoma State is another relevant team that has deep Texas recruiting. They've been consistently in the top twenty. Houston, despite being in a lesser conference gained national attention for explosive offenses, and rankings in the top 20. As much as we hate UT, they are a good coach away from reawakening as a national power. Not winning a national championship does not make a team irrelevant. Consistently winning and being in the top 20 positions your team for those magical seasons where you put it all together. Arkansas needs a solid base of Texas recruits to once again become a consistent winner and fixture in the top 20. Then and only then can we even start to sniff the scent of a championship.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Wooderson

Quote from: TexHog188 on December 07, 2017, 07:36:25 am
Actually several teams from Texas and those with deep TX recruiting ties have been "relevant", but the structure of the BCS era and now the 4-team playoff, coupled with enept Big 12 leadership limited their opportunity to compete for championships. Examples are Baylor and TCU. Both have been very relevant within the top 10 over then past several years. We know Baylor is now toast, but that's not because of TX recruiting but rather corrupt leadership that allowed a toxic criminal culture to spawn and thrive.  Oklahoma State is another relevant team that has deep Texas recruiting. They've been consistently in the top twenty. Houston, despite being in a lesser conference gained national attention for explosive offenses, and rankings in the top 20. As much as we hate UT, they are a good coach away from reawakening as a national power. Not winning a national championship does not make a team irrelevant. Consistently winning and being in the top 20 positions your team for those magical seasons where you put it all together. Arkansas needs a solid base of Texas recruits to once again become a consistent winner and fixture in the top 20. Then and only then can we even start to sniff the scent of a championship.

TCU is a farce.  The worst coach in Arkansas history split a series with them.  There is only one top ten program that recruits Texas primarily and that is Oklahoma.  Put Baylor and TCU in the SEC and they are .500 at best.

SemperHawg

Quote from: The Boar War on December 06, 2017, 11:37:32 pm
I'm interested to see if our dip in Texas recruiting is from lack of emphasis on our part or from Texas kids not wanting to play a majority of their games outside of their area.
Three words....STYLE OF PLAY

Boarcephus

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 07, 2017, 07:46:06 am
Three words....STYLE OF PLAY

Exactly and let me add a couple more....NFL opportunity. 

Kids don't go to Alabama or went to FSU because they like Saban or Fisher, they go there because they know that's their best chance to go to the NFL. 

Hopeful Hog

AR - 6
TX - 6
LA - 4
OK/MO - 3
Mem/MS - 2
Southeast - 2
JC/TR - 2

You need to flip the Arkansas and Louisiana numbers imo. AR doesn't have enough talent to be our main source.

hogsanity

Quote from: shshark00 on December 07, 2017, 07:02:54 am
I really don't think AR can produce 6 SEC caliber players a year. I think 4 is a more realistic number.

some guys on here think the Hogs should sign 25 a year in state and just coach em up because they want it more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 07, 2017, 08:44:12 am
You need to flip the Arkansas and Louisiana numbers imo. AR doesn't have enough talent to be our main source.

In the last ten years we've averaged a little more than that. It's been all over the map though. The key for us is keeping them home instead of going to OU, Mizzou, Auburn, Bama, etc.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 08:47:02 am
some guys on here think the Hogs should sign 25 a year in state and just coach em up because they want it more.

6 doesn't look anything like 25. Not sure where the confusion comes from.

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: Ozarkhog05 on December 07, 2017, 06:42:24 am
He said that his focus would be east tx, dfw, OK, Northern LA, and AR. Also, most non P5 schools generally get their talent from closer to campus. Take A State for instance,  they sign probably double the players out of AR than the Hogs. CCM will also have more resources to recruit on a broad scale here.

Hogs have 44 Arkansas kids on Roster
ASU has 28

FWIW

Paul

TX kids are used to finesse football.  We need some maulers on the OL & DL & those are plentiful in MS, AL, LA & GA.  Did you see the size of those linemen when we played Ms St?  They were huge.  Danny Ford went & got linemen out of MS & GA & that's what Chad needs to do to be competitive in the SEC   

steveaustin69

Quote from: Wooderson on December 07, 2017, 07:39:28 am
TCU is a farce.  The worst coach in Arkansas history split a series with them.  There is only one top ten program that recruits Texas primarily and that is Oklahoma.  Put Baylor and TCU in the SEC and they are .500 at best.

Annnnnnnnnnnd you just lost all credibility with that

jkstock04

Quote from: Wooderson on December 06, 2017, 08:57:03 pm
Some interesting stats there...had never heard that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys