Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many wins next year?

Started by PorkSoda, December 06, 2017, 07:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How many wins is enough to say he was the right hire?

0-2
4 (1.6%)
3-4
20 (7.8%)
21 (8.2%)
46 (18%)
97 (38%)
54 (21.2%)
5 (2%)
10+
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 255

root_hawg

CFB_Fanatic

2018 Arkansas Football Schedule
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS   W
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State      L
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS         W
Sept. 22 – at Auburn               L
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M        L
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA                   L
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS                 W
Oct. 20 – TULSA                      W
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT             L
Nov. 3 – Open Date           
Nov. 10 – LSU                          L
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State    L
Nov. 24 – at Missouri                L

4-8. Will be competitive in some of the losses though, so there will be some excitement heading into 2019

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 07:23:28 pm
if he wins 8, you can put me squarely on board with this guy.   I agree we have the talent to do it.  new coach / new system, its going to take some great coaching.  But that is why we hired him right?

I look at this team and just don't see much reason for optimism next year. This team was bad and really was from the start. All BB's talk about injuries was just deflection.  Our best hope is that they have a lot more potential than we saw, which isn't much to hang your hat on.

That said if Morris wins 8 in year 1 with this roster we have absolutely hit a home run with this hire.  More likely we are a few years away from getting there.

Pork Twain

Like when HDN took over, I think we have a very talented team that was the victim of poor coaching.  Unlike when CBP and CBB took over, I see this as a much quicker turn-around.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jmark

4-4 in conference or CCM starts his sec coaching record in the hole
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

870rzrback

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 06, 2017, 08:22:06 pm
Question wasn't what I expected, but the minimum to not think we need to bail immediately. That's 5 wins. 6 wins is a pleased. 7 wins is happy.  8 wins is ecstatic. 9+ is us winning an NC within 5 years.
If he only gets 5 wins with that soft schedule then we need to bail. I'd expect 7 wins out of that.  The only games that should be losses there next year are Bama, auburn, a&m and lsu. Leaving room for one other loss, but anything less than 7 is a disappointment.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jmark on December 07, 2017, 12:10:17 am
technically correct
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on December 06, 2017, 11:51:04 pm
I look at this team and just don't see much reason for optimism next year. This team was bad and really was from the start. All BB's talk about injuries was just deflection.  Our best hope is that they have a lot more potential than we saw, which isn't much to hang your hat on.

That said if Morris wins 8 in year 1 with this roster we have absolutely hit a home run with this hire.  More likely we are a few years away from getting there.
maybe not across the board. But we have some ballerz.  If morris can adapt his system to our players he will have immediate success.  If he goes the bb route and tries to fit the players to his system its a long slow rebuild
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jmark on December 07, 2017, 12:10:17 am
Well you see, you can't say he starts off 4-4 and then say he starts off in the hole.  Those are not the same thing.  4-4 would be even and 3-5 would be in the hole.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 12:41:19 am
maybe not across the board. But we have some ballerz.  If morris can adapt his system to our players he will have immediate success.  If he goes the bb route and tries to fit the players to his system its a long slow rebuild

I'd say that our players are more compatible with CM system than BBs.

Odd as it may seem.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 01:35:37 am
I'd say that our players are more compatible with CM system than BBs.

Odd as it may seem.
you might be right.   Honestly brets biggest fault was losing the players somewhere along the way.  If morris can pick them up and put them on the same page, he'll have a solid group to work with.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 01:41:29 am
you might be right.   Honestly brets biggest fault was losing the players somewhere along the way.  If morris can pick them up and put them on the same page, he'll have a solid group to work with.

Nah. It wasn't really losing players, per se.

He didn't realize that some players wouldn't develop under his system. Many of them were linemen. Without offensive linemen, Bret couldn't maintain his ball control type offense. Instead of bunching up, he had Enos start spreading it out a little bit, but we weren't really good at that either.

How's Hawa'ii?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 01:46:35 am
Nah. It wasn't really losing players, per se.

He didn't realize that some players wouldn't develop under his system. Many of them were linemen. Without offensive linemen, Bret couldn't maintain his ball control type offense. Instead of bunching up, he had Enos start spreading it out a little bit, but we weren't really good at that either.
whatever the case he could nt assemble all the pieces into a successful system.  In the end we needed a fresh look.  If morris has the vision to see potential in this team, he may generate some early success.  Heck hootie had a knack for having success in his first 2 years.  So it can happen

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 01:55:17 am
whatever the case he could nt assemble all the pieces into a successful system.  In the end we needed a fresh look.  If morris has the vision to see potential in this team, he may generate some early success.  Heck hootie had a knack for having success in his first 2 years.  So it can happen

I would expect the hunger of the players to win will make them like sponges. They will soak up his system quick. There is talent there. Our linemen are better suited for a shotgun spread anyway.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 01:59:45 am
I would expect the hunger of the players to win will make them like sponges. They will soak up his system quick. There is talent there. Our linemen are better suited for a shotgun spread anyway.
True, BB tried to stubbornly put square pegs into round holes too many times. It may be wishful thinking but I feel like with a new system we may see new life for some of these 4 star olinemen that didn't "pan out" in the CBB era.

I love the style he had at Wisky, but I have to admit our recruiting base just doesn't produce the players that fit that style.

bigred223

One of the softest schedules i can remember. 7-5 seems reasonable.

scottwillrazbackfan1

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS- ----win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State--------win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS ----------win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn ---------------Loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)-w
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA -------Loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS ------win
Oct. 20 – TULSA ----------win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT -----win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU ---------------Loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State -Loss
Nov. 24 – at Missouri -----win

beachhawg

Only losses I see are Bama, Auburn, and LSU
Miss St new coaches, mizzou lost OC, Jimbo isn't the 75 million dollar man, and no way we lose out of conference with these matchups
Hogs will be older overall and with different conditioning and mentality look for more success

Mellon Collie

Quote from: bigred223 on December 07, 2017, 03:38:42 am
One of the softest schedules i can remember. 7-5 seems reasonable.

more than reasonable. at least 7.

VegasHog

My belief is that the 2018 roster is a five or six win team with a poor or mediocre coach. The NFL research shows very little variance from one coach getting fired to his successor in the following season (https://statsbylopez.com/2017/01/04/matching-to-estimate-the-causal-effects-of-firing-an-nfl-coach/) but I'm not sure the same applies to college football and it's possible a good coach is two wins better than mediocre so I think eight wins in year one will show that Morris is above average or excellent college coach.

RazorChuck

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on December 07, 2017, 06:18:07 am
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS- ----win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State--------loss
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS ----------loss
Sept. 22 – at Auburn ---------------loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)-loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA -------Loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS ------loss
Oct. 20 – TULSA ----------loss
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT -----loss
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU ---------------Loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State -Loss
Nov. 24 – at Missouri -----loss
The beginning of the end.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RazorbackFan1 on December 06, 2017, 07:22:11 pm
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS W
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State L
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS W
Sept. 22 – at Auburn L
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas) L
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA L
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS W
Oct. 20 – TULSA W
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT L
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU L
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State L
Nov. 24 – at Missouri L

4-8

Dude, Bielema is gone!  These gloom and doom predictions are in the rear view mirror!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RazorChuck

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 07, 2017, 07:37:58 am
Dude, Bielema is gone!  These gloom and doom predictions are in the rear view mirror!
Kool-aid is so delicious........

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 07, 2017, 08:09:22 am
Kool-aid is so delicious........

You need to pay attention to the teacher before she takes your phone away.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RazorChuck

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 07, 2017, 08:28:07 am
You need to pay attention to the teacher before she takes your phone away.
Still thirsty huh, suck that Kool-aid down, remain oblivious to everything around you.

jmark

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 01:30:40 am
Well you see, you can't say he starts off 4-4 and then say he starts off in the hole.  Those are not the same thing.  4-4 would be even and 3-5 would be in the hole.

i did say or.
when is the last time we went 4-4 in our conference?
I'm saying CCM needs to be at least 4-4 his first year
bret was fired for not winning enough conference games
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007