Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many wins next year?

Started by PorkSoda, December 06, 2017, 07:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How many wins is enough to say he was the right hire?

0-2
4 (1.6%)
3-4
20 (7.8%)
21 (8.2%)
46 (18%)
97 (38%)
54 (21.2%)
5 (2%)
10+
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 255

PorkSoda

Bonus Question:  How many wins do you think he will get?

There are a lot of fans that are skeptical of this hire, and a lot that have openly embraced it.

my question is, what is the win threshold next year for you to be able to say this was a good hire?

2018 Arkansas Football Schedule
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS
Oct. 20 – TULSA
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State
Nov. 24 – at Missouri
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: respirback on December 06, 2017, 07:07:58 pm
6 tops
I'm skeptical he can do it, but if he makes a bowl next year then, to me, that is enough to say he has a chance to build something here.  anything less and we wasted 20 million in buyouts.  I don't think that is unfair.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

silverandbluedc

Call me optimistic, but 8 wins. We start 3-0. We will beat OM, Tulsa, Vandy. Will win 2 of the other games between Auburn, A&M, Miss. St., Mizzou. I think this team has talent, but had not been coached up real well and 2nd half adjustments were non existent.

checkraiser88

I'll go 9 and SEC coach of the year

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

RazorbackFan1

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS W
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State L
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS W
Sept. 22 – at Auburn L
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas) L
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA L
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS W
Oct. 20 – TULSA W
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT L
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU L
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State L
Nov. 24 – at Missouri L

4-8

Hawginj

PorkSoda

Quote from: silverandbluedc on December 06, 2017, 07:19:03 pm
Call me optimistic, but 8 wins. We start 3-0. We will beat OM, Tulsa, Vandy. Will win 2 of the other games between Auburn, A&M, Miss. St., Mizzou. I think this team has talent, but had not been coached up real well and 2nd half adjustments were non existent.
if he wins 8, you can put me squarely on board with this guy.   I agree we have the talent to do it.  new coach / new system, its going to take some great coaching.  But that is why we hired him right?

RaisinHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 06, 2017, 07:20:15 pm
6 minimum. Any additional will be dependant upon his DC.

Yea I'll agree with this ..

1highhog

I voted for 8, that's what I was going with if we had CBB so I will stick with it with CCM.

PorkSoda

I'm just curious if I somehow mis-explained the poll here.

do we really have people that will be happy with 3 wins and people that wont be happy with anything less than 9?

NaturalStateReb

Way too many variables to even guess.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tortfeasor

Didn't vote, but would like to see us get to a bowl. I think we have the talent to win at least 6.

RME

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 06, 2017, 07:55:27 pm

This.

But if he wins 5, the same amount the late, great Bobby P won his first year, I'll be very optimistic heading into year two.

Because, ya know, Bobby P is our standard now.

HawgPound

Schedule sets up nice for 7 if things fall in place. I'm sticking with that.

devildoghawg

I think 6 wins is a must.  All non conference and Ole Miss/Vandy are must wins.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

LR_Matt

PorkSoda

sure, but what is the minimum number of wins that would keep you confident in the future of the program under morris?

Swestwill66

sickboy

Mr Jade

5. A single SEC win. This is, however, just his first year.

Keep going up. 7 wins the next year. By year 3 onwards we need to be averaging 8 wins per two seasons. I don't expect CCM to win against Bama within the first 5 years, and I expect to drop another 2 or 3 games per year, but expecting a in conference win against Miss St., Ole Piss, Mizzou, and someone else is fine.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

bennyl08

We have the talent to win a lot of games. If this is a good hire, we should easily be able to win 8 games without needing above average luck. More wins would be possible in that did happen.

However, it isn't just about talent, it's about the fit of the talent. I'd be surprised if we do win 8 games next year and if that does come to pass, I wouldn't say that is an indictment of him not being a good coach. There will likely be growing pains. There will likely be a lot of transfers that will hurt our depth. With no knowing what injuries will happen or suspensions, there really is no single threshold value of wins this coming season that will show he is a bad hire.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mellon Collie

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 07:18:05 pm
I'm skeptical he can do it, but if he makes a bowl next year then, to me, that is enough to say he has a chance to build something here.  anything less and we wasted 20 million in buyouts.  I don't think that is unfair.

if he can't win 6 games next year, hit the dam panic button.

TNRazorbacker

Happy for the hire and think Morris's system will work better for us but this is going to take some time to develop. We are moving from a huddle up pro set under center offense heavy on tight ends to a complete opposite shotgun up tempo run and shoot that needs lots of quick receivers. This doesn't turn in a year. If we manage 6 wins next year Im tickled.

RME

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 06, 2017, 08:01:05 pm

Keep going up. 7 wins the next year. By year 3 onwards we need to be averaging 8 wins per two seasons. I don't expect CCM to win against Bama within the first 5 years, and I expect to drop another 2 or 3 games per year, but expecting a in conference win against Miss St., Ole Piss, Mizzou, and someone else is fine.

I like this analysis.

WBOBO

8-9 wins with a bowl game to be decided.  I'm all in.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

TheRazorback500

I'll say 7. Six wins (5 at home against lesser talent and at CSU) and we'll get one unexpected one somewhere.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 06, 2017, 08:01:05 pm

soft schedule. talent is here, although not system talent. 5 wins would be an unbelievable disappointment.  7-5 is realistic. throw in a upset over a@m or lsu and all of a sudden its 8-4 with the future so dam bright you gotta wear shades.

Mr Jade

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 06, 2017, 08:13:58 pm
soft schedule. talent is here, although not system talent. 5 wins would be an unbelievable disappointment.  7-5 is realistic. throw in a upset over a@m or lsu and all of a sudden its 8-4 with the future so dam bright you gotta wear shades.

Question wasn't what I expected, but the minimum to not think we need to bail immediately. That's 5 wins. 6 wins is a pleased. 7 wins is happy.  8 wins is ecstatic. 9+ is us winning an NC within 5 years.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

runninghog

I hope we have no more than two wins next year.  I want the rebuild to be so complete and so far down to the bare foundation that everybody has no idea what's going on until CCM can take a year or so to put each piece back together right and then the wins come because they can't help but pile up under the new machine.

I wasn't excited to see this hire, but I am hopeful for our new coach.  WPS.

JONAS

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 06, 2017, 07:58:54 pm
I think 6 wins is a must.  All non conference and Ole Miss/Vandy are must wins.

That second game at Colorado State will not be easy.

HBTHogs

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 06, 2017, 08:04:39 pm
if he can't win 6 games next year, hit the dam panic button.

Why, what will happen to the dam?

nwahogfan1

New coach and totally different scheme. .  Offense Will depend on how many players can play this scheme.  Defense will depend on scheme also and if we can sign some JUCO or freshmen  help bec we need speed.

I will wait until after spring ball.

PorkSoda

Quote from: JONAS on December 06, 2017, 08:29:06 pm
That second game at Colorado State will not be easy.
and its early in the year.  we may be scraping for a 3rd sec win to get bowl eligible.

I think the wins are there to be had, but Morris can't afford a slow start.

jkstock04

6 regular season wins or more will be viewed as a major success. We are fixing to do a 180 on pretty much everything philosophy wise. "Rebuild year" will be a common phrase.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawghiggs

Quote from: silverandbluedc on December 06, 2017, 07:19:03 pm

I'm with you on this. Not enough film to be able to pick out patterns and tendencies.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HBTHogs on December 06, 2017, 08:34:09 pm
Why, what will happen to the dam?

its gonna break and flood the state with apathy

HogBreath

None of that matters......this is Hogville,  you're a Razorback fan, just pick the most wins possible.

Sheesh, why do people make this difficult?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

j-mann

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 07:06:55 pm

There are a lot of fans that are skeptical of this hire, and a lot that have openly embraced it.

my question is, what is the win threshold next year for you to be able to say this was a good hire?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS W 56-21
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State W 45-28
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS W 38-7
Sept. 22 – at Auburn W 38-35 OT
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas) W 35-31
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA L 38-17
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS W 31-17
Oct. 20 – TULSA W 45-21
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT W 38-24
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU L 28-24
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State W 42-35
Nov. 24 – at Missouri W 48-45   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 07:54:58 pm
I'm just curious if I somehow mis-explained the poll here.

do we really have people that will be happy with 3 wins and people that wont be happy with anything less than 9?

People like myself picked on the poll before reading what you said. I thought it was just another dumbass poll on how many do you think he will win.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

j-mann

6-6 at worst 
10-2 at best   

why we could best auburn   because now we are being auburn off right back at them  gus better win in 18  because  if Morris  wins this  gus will get 1 more shot in 19  but with no siderm  at qb he will have no shot   

TAM  jimbo will want a Alabama type off   poket qb passer  he will not take ark as serious   Arkansas is due here   
Miss st   if Fitzgerald misses 9-12 mos  that will put him back in late oct nov   i think moorehead passes more than mullian   
mizzou  they can score but cant play def   Arkansas will start to get the bounces because the SEC will want this to be even   mizz  has won too much lately   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Dudeman

If he gets Arkansas to 8 wins Ill say it was a good hire. I figure it will be a struggle to get bowl eligible though.  4 to 6 wins his first year.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

RazorChuck

Quote from: RazorbackFan1 on December 06, 2017, 07:22:11 pm
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS W
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State L
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS L
Sept. 22 – at Auburn L
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas) L
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA L
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS L
Oct. 20 – TULSA L
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT L
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU L
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State L
Nov. 24 – at Missouri L

1-11

East Clintwood

I figure Bert would go 6 - 6.

Hopefully this guy can do better.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

31to6

Quote from: respirback on December 06, 2017, 07:07:58 pm
6 tops
6, but not tops. 8 very winnable games. Probably lose 1 to transition growing pains.

5-7 to 8-5 is what I see.

Probably 6-6 with a chance at beating up KSU in the Liberty bowl again.

ricehog43

U of A Alum 2011.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 07:06:55 pm

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS
Oct. 20 – TULSA
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State
Nov. 24 – at Missouri

Answered the main part before, but the schedule is worth looking at in some detail.

First thing is to note that we are not in a rebuild year as far as talent. Raw talent wise, we are looking at an 8-9 win year next year. Of course, we aren't just dealing with Jimmy's and Joe's, but how well will we be able to implement a new offense and defense? Further, how well Morris can adapt to who we currently have will play a big role. With Bielema, it made sense to wait 5  years. With Morris and the ample talent that we currently have, we will know within three years for better or for worse.

Eastern Illinois should be a comfy win. They are not even a good FCS team. Biggest question here will be how many points we allow on defense. We could shut them out and it wouldn't mean a thing as far as how we will do in the SEC, but if we give up 21+ points, that would be an ominous start.

@CSU. This will be a good test for us. Roster wise, we should win this game by 21 points, pulling away in the second half. However, this is a team that in a 2017 or 2012 type of year could certainly beat us by the same margin. If we win this game, then we'll know that Morris will have this team ready. If we lose, we are losing to a team that is less talented than we are. Could just be a sign of implementing a new scheme, or it could be a sign of worse things to come.

North Texas should be a win as well. However, they could put up a good first half fight on us and that wouldn't be a negative. If we struggle to pull away by the fourth quarter though, that won't be a good sign.

@Auburn: That's likely going to be a loss. Not sure what they have coming back, but I don't see Morris going into the plains and pulling out a win.

aTm: They have a new coach and we have a new coach. We've been neck and neck with them for the better part of the last decade. Petrino had a blowout the first year we played them, they had a blowout in the smiley season. Every other game has been at least a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter. Jimbo's never been a HC outside of the FSU program that was already winning at a high level before he took over. No guarantee he will be great there. This will be a good test for both programs to see what kind of coaching they are paying for given the similarity in talent level.

Bama: Loss

OM: No idea how this one will turn out. We've done well against them in recent years. If Morris is at least as good as Bielema, I like our odds. No telling though.

Tulsa: Should be a win. However, the Tulsa team will be just a notch below CSU in terms of difficulty. If the Morris transition goes smoothly, expect a win. If there are some bad growing pains, could be a loss. If we have a smiley type of season, expect a loss.

Vandy: Don't know a lot about Vandy for next season yet. If they are losing a lot of players, I'd say this game should be around the same level of difficulty as tulsa. If they are returning a lot of players, it could be a bit tougher than CSU.

LSU: Normally a toss up, but with a new coach for us, this is likely a loss

@MSU: With Mullen there, I'd label this a loss for us as well. Talent wise I'd say we could and perhaps should beat them. However, Mullen isn't there anymore so they are going to be in a similar position as we will be. Ours has some HC experience but didn't do anything ground shattering but at least does have that experience. Their new coach has a lot more college experience in general but none as a HC. Similar to the aggie game, should be a good test for both schools. Also, playing at their place has always proved challenging. The 2010 hog team would have won by multiple possessions if that game was in fayetteville, but being in starksville, it was a fight to the very end. So, if things are even otherwise, MSU would get the nod.

@Mizz: Home field has shown to be big here as well. I know Mizzou returned a heckuvalot of players last year so presumably this year they'll be losing a good amount. Will be interesting to see if we've grown and improved as a team over the season or become frustrated and quit with the new coach playing a bunch of freshmen who are still playing hard.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse