Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I hope I am wrong

Started by jbigs77, December 06, 2017, 06:06:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbigs77

I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong. How can you hire a coach to the SEC west? Probably the best division year in and out to the best conference SEC. That went 7 and 5 at SMU? Would someone explain this to me, and make me want to drink the Kool-Aid with all the others on here so happy?

hobhog

Try reading the 500 posts on Morris.

Science Fiction Greg

I would suggest starting by looking at things that aren't his record at SMU.  There is a lot more to a coach than his record over a small number of seasons.  A lot more has to be in place to win than just the coach.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

HoggusMaximus

he inherited a dumpster fire 1 win team and turned it into 7 win team in 3 seasons....

Tortfeasor

Instead of asking someone to reassure you, as we know that won't happen, why not research it yourself? He was the highest paid coordinator while at Clemson and just look at their offensive rankings before and after he took over.

Solid hire and ready to see what he can do.

RebelW

Read up on what it takes to even be qualified to play at SMU.

moses_007

Quote from: jbigs77 on December 06, 2017, 06:06:44 pm
I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong. How can you hire a coach to the SEC west? Probably the best division year in and out to the best conference SEC. That went 7 and 5 at SMU? Would someone explain this to me, and make me want to drink the Kool-Aid with all the others on here so happy?
We will all be happy to find you another program to support and root for........

Hogsfan1981

He will be on a short leash. If he loses he is gone.

If he wins then he will move on. Either way I don't think he is long term.

For example, if Jimbo doesn't work out at A&M they would want him if he proves himself while at Arkansas.

He wouldn't be able to resist going home.

He would have left SMU last year but he was waiting on Sumlin to be fired. When they got Jimbo he decided to move on. I still think he has his eye on A&M long term. Like he said "Why would anyone want to coach at Arkansas.".

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:16:17 pm
He will be on a short leash. If he losses he is gone.

I don't think it will be as short as you hope.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

RazorNick

What was Sabans record at Miami. Petrinos at Atlanta?

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 06, 2017, 06:17:41 pm
I don't think it will be as short as you hope.

3 years at most. That would be about the time he would be up for an extension. If he is winning he will move on. If he is losing the buyout would be small enough.

bphi11ips

Just bumped a thread titled "Fun Facts" for you.  Hope it makes you feel better. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PLAYBOAR

Read more.  Post less.
Hey Ref, does your wife know you're screwing us?

JONAS

Not another negative thread. 

Hogsfan1981

regi

LSU hired a 23-16 coach in 2000,  coming of a 5-6 season at Mich St. They are on the longest run of success
in program history,  because of it. You can't discount someones record,  but there is more to the evaluation,  than that.

farmhawg

Read more?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

David†

I wasn't sure what to think at first. Read up on him. I feel pretty good about it.

This is how bad SMU was when he took over.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2014/11/7/7082815/smu-football-is-so-bad-my-eyes-hurt

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: regi on December 06, 2017, 06:24:13 pm
LSU hired a 23-16 coach in 2000,  coming of a 5-6 season at Mich St. They are on the longest run of success
in program history,  because of it. You can't discount someones record,  but there is more to the evaluation,  than that.

Might have something to do with being LSU. But no...you cannot judge by record alone.

nwahogfan1

Look on Utube for Morris offense and site Clemson sites that talk about his Offensive coaching and character.  SMU was a dumpster fire.  He took it from nothing to 7 wins and a top 10 offense in the NATION>    Do some homework.

hog911

Quote from: moses_007 on December 06, 2017, 06:12:42 pm
We will all be happy to find you another program to support and root for........
Great passive aggressive comment! I'm sorry we can't all share your enthusiasm on a below average hire! Pathetic!!!!

3Scoreand10

You like many others believe we could have hired anyone we choose.
We went after Gus, kissed his butt, waited and waited, then he pissed  in our kool aid.
Got what he wanted all alone.
I am a Razorback. Love the Hogs.  But I realize that until we begin to win again and become a team that others fear, we will never be able to hire who we choose.
Under the circumstances, we probable did the best we could do.
I will give the man a chance and everyone else should also.
Maybe, just maybe he will surprise all of us.

WorfHog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 06, 2017, 06:10:35 pm
he inherited a dumpster fire 1 win team and turned it into 7 win team in 3 seasons....

The guy we fired took a dumpster fire to 7 wins in year three as well.

Morris's best trait is a lack of history as a college head coach. I'm taking the same approach with Morris that I took for Bielema, just wait and see.

David†

Could you imagine this board if we were in Tenners situation?

regi

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:25:42 pm
Might have something to do with being LSU. But no...you cannot judge by record alone.

I am 50, so sometimes I forget some of you,  are not as old,  but LSU was 52-56-1 over all from 89 to 99, and something like 24 games under, .500 in SEC games.  Also,  until Saban,  Bama owned LSU,  like Texas use to own us.  LSU went from 1969 to 2000, without winning in Baton Rouge,  against Bama. Now,  with integration,  LSU has always had potential,  but until Saban,  it basicly went unrealized for about 106 years.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:18:50 pm
3 years at most. That would be about the time he would be up for an extension. If he is winning he will move on. If he is losing the buyout would be small enough.

i bet nothing ever works out for you or goes your way, does it.......
The rest of the frog.

jbigs77

I want him to succeed. I hope he does. And I have researched his past. (Thank you for all the advice, intelligent people). But I cant go into seeing what coaches did at other places. Bret was winning at Wisconsin, they got better when he left. Morris was at Clemson. They got better when he left. I am hoping for the best, but not expecting it. I think he was probably one of the last choices we had. Had to take someone.
I will say this, he knows this is his chance. He has 1 shot. I am sure he will give it all he has. Sometimes effort goes further than name, or experience. I wish him and the HOGS the best.

Mike Irwin

Don't drink it. Take a wait and see attitude. I've been at this for 43 years. Every time there's a new hire the media and most of the fans start jumping for joy. Usually they end up pissed a few years later. What's wrong with taking a show me attitude? You don't have to hate on the guy but don't start expecting him to go 10-3 the first year either.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 06, 2017, 06:43:54 pm
Don't drink it. Take a wait and see attitude. I've been at this for 43 years. Every time there's a new hire the media and most of the fans start jumping for joy. Usually they end up pissed a few years later. What's wrong with taking a show me attitude? You don't have to hate on the guy but don't start expecting him to go 10-3 the first year either.

Yep, you only have three choices, drink kool-aid, be pissed off ...or wait and see...

Hogsfan1981

I hated the decision but I don't hate the man. He is our coach now and I hope he does well. I think he can have a great first year with the speed in place. Then he could build off that momentum.

I don't think he retires here but he could turn us in the right direction and leave in about 3-4 years. I think that is best case.

Don't want to see another guy fired now that he is our guy.

Media loves this guy. Will roast Arkansas if we ever fire him.

okrazorback

you say he turned SMU into  7win team. Is that what we are looking for? Not me, but I do know I do not count.

jbigs77

I agree Mike. And I was there when you started. Always enjoyed your reporting. I stopped watching a certain channel when you left. I want him to be good. And just like BB. Wait and see. After Heath, Pelpry, Smith, then Brett. Kinda hard to get excited in what I take as a latter choice in coaches. SEC west is a whole new ballgame. You got to have a A game or they will eat you alive.

Porkette

I think we always have a "wait and see" attitude because that's all we can do. Nobody knows how successful any coach will be. I never go around predicting 10-win seasons myself but I do prefer to have a mostly positive attitude toward the program and have fun being a Razorback fan. We're just talking about football games here. No need to be overly serious about it the majority of the time. If he doesn't win within a few years, we'll move on.
GO HOGS GO!

Athog

You are wrong!

Hogeration

How do some leave out his imprint on Clemson. That can not be overlooked. This guy will make a difference here.

The Hogfather

Perfect "you are what your record says you are" dolt.

docryde3

Quote from: RebelW on December 06, 2017, 06:12:21 pm
Read up on what it takes to even be qualified to play at SMU.
Yeah a private school much like Vanderbilt, in our conference.

The average entry GPA at SMU is 3.64 and it says if you only have a 3.64 you will need a higher SAT or ACT score to compensate. Also SMU only accepts 49% of applicants. Average ACT score is a 29 at SMU.
Woo Pig Sooie

Captain Hogthrob

Look on the bright side we may all be dead of some new porcine super virus by then. See, nothing to worry about.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Svrdhd

Quote from: docryde3 on December 06, 2017, 07:19:58 pm
Yeah a private school much like Vanderbilt, in our conference.

The average entry GPA at SMU is 3.64 and it says if you only have a 3.64 you will need a higher SAT or ACT score to compensate. Also SMU only accepts 49% of applicants. Average ACT score is a 29 at SMU.
It is no secret that coveted athletes aren't held to the same academic admission standards as traditional students at most universities. SMU's own undergraduate admission website explicitly states that there is no actual minimum GPA or test score that would preclude admission as other factors like extracurricular activities (i.e. sports) are factored in.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

InHOGuration Ball

My perspective as a Razorback fan is that Coach Morris was not hired based on his record at SMU but on his potential to build a quality football program.   The sports news media (TV and paper) here in Birmingham has covered the hiring with emphasis on his record at SMU, implying, in my opinion, it is not a good hire.  I take it as their way of smirking at us.     

I want to give him chance and trust the UA's vetting process.   I'm excited and hope he proves the naysayers wrong.  I think he will. 

Pig Worshipper

I hope you're wrong, too.
Yes, many of us are very disappointed because of an underwhelming, non-sexy hire but, of course most fans will give the guy the benefit of the doubt and pull for our team to be really successful. Unlike some on here, I don't think the cupboard is bare and our 2018 schedule is not bad, so I think Coach Morris will do well and the team will get to a bowl game in his first season as Head Hog.

195bc

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:16:17 pm
He will be on a short leash. If he loses he is gone.

If he wins then he will move on. Either way I don't think he is long term.

For example, if Jimbo doesn't work out at A&M they would want him if he proves himself while at Arkansas.

He wouldn't be able to resist going home.

He would have left SMU last year but he was waiting on Sumlin to be fired. When they got Jimbo he decided to move on. I still think he has his eye on A&M long term. Like he said "Why would anyone want to coach at Arkansas.".

You realize Jimbo's contract is 10 years, $75 million, guaranteed? So in 5 years, Jimbo's buyout is still $37.5 million.

sickboy

There may not be a phrase in the English language I hate more than "I hope I'm wrong". It's such a cop out way to be negative. If you're negative — own it. Don't toot this horn and come running around when things go well.

TNRazorbacker

I would say this is a very shallow assessment. Its like looking at a coach from the Big10 who had a few 10+ win seasons and assuming purely on wins he'll be successful here.

Go and read what the Clemson fanbase thinks if Morris as well as that coaching staff. Look at the state SMU was in when he got there and how they have trended since.  The details and circumstances around his performance are pertinent.

k.c.hawg

You know how every now and then someone pops up with the "we have become a nation of [CENSORED]'s." Nothing better illustrates that to me then to jump on this board to day and see how many middle aged men are acting like little bitch ass [CENSORED]'s over a coaching hire. For God's sake act like a man, show you are capable of taking in real time information and not having a nervous f'ng breakdown. Follow Dancing With the Star's and OMG when your guy get's kicked off, if a football hire is too much for you. This is STUPID!! I can guarantee CM has a hell of a lot more confidence in himself than any of you kitties have in yourself!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Sapperhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 06, 2017, 09:22:49 pm
You know how every now and then someone pops up with the "we have become a nation of [CENSORED]'s." Nothing better illustrates that to me then to jump on this board to day and see how many middle aged men are acting like little bitch ass [CENSORED]'s over a coaching hire. For God's sake act like a man, show you are capable of taking in real time information and not having a nervous f'ng breakdown. Follow Dancing With the Star's and OMG when your guy get's kicked off, if a football hire is too much for you. This is STUPID!! I can guarantee CM has a hell of a lot more confidence in himself than any of you kitties have in yourself!!

BOOM.

jneal56

Well for starters lets look at how many teams are in the SEC West. 7 am I right? Correct! Ok so by your logic we should only hire coaches who have coached in the SEC West right? Ok fair enough let's see who is available. There is Miles, Bielema, Sumlin, Freeze who are all the most recent and there are the old timers such as Nutt, Chizik, Tuberville, Slocum, Shula, T. Bowden oh hell I'll just stop right there. You see a pattern with all those that are available that meet the already coached in the SEC West criterium? Yep you guessed it. They all got fired! So unless you want what most people on here like to call retreads (maybe I didn't spell that politically correct) then you may want to broaden your scope out of the small bubble that you seem to think SEC West coaches exist in.

Do I know he's going to be great or horrible? Nope! Not a clue. Guess what though, neither do any of the rest of us but the easiest thing to do is hate and be negative because it is very rare these days for coaches to go anywhere without eventually being fired. So if you want to be pessimistic and negative just so later after 3, 4 maybe 7 or 8 years you can say "I knew it all along" even if there were some 10, 11 or 12 win seasons in there somewhere. Hell look at what BP did and you still have people saying "I knew he'd screw it up". No they didn't. They had no idea that scenario was going to happen but being their negative nancy selves, they can claim as something of a positive in their lives.

So the Kool-Aid you speak of is what we like to call positivity and believing that things can only get better than what they have been. It certainly perked up when BP brought a high powered offense here and guess what the negative nancy's want to say to that? Well he never beat Alabama. Well hell, how many different teams have beat Alabama in the past 10 years? Less than 10 or over? If it's over, it probably isn't by much.
"At least we are moral"

OldArmy94

Yes, Morris is an Aggie, but that doesn't mean he would drop everything at Arkansas to run to College Station. I really think you guys are a bit paranoid when you say that.

jneal56

You don't have enough smites. We need collectively as a team to build unity here on Hogville band together and bring your smite total up to three times your karma total like the rest of us idiots on here!
"At least we are moral"

Hoggie17

In the first 3 years if Morris goes 14-20 will we give him 2 more years to get to .500 ball?