Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris Interview

Started by Donny2665, December 06, 2017, 04:41:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebHog

Good start that was a good interview

TXArcher

Nice, I'm looking forward to see what he brings and produces.

JONAS

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 06, 2017, 05:07:56 pm
His vocal cadence and inflections sound, I'm not kidding, JUST LIKE Houston Nutt.  Not comparing him to HDN at all, other than the speech, but his speech, aurally, is freaking identical to Houston Nutt.

I was thinking the same thing. 

tampahog

I like what I am hearing so far.  He sounds like another version of Gus in terms of being an innovative mind that is always looking to embrace change to gain a competitive advantage but he doesn't bring the baggage and potential fan divisiveness that may have occurred with Gus.  He is also a bit younger and has recruiting ties to TX.  I also like that he coached HS in TX so is probably used to a higher level of competition and can more objectively assess talent differences between AR vs. out of state athletes.  As long as he balances his attention across O, D, and ST and hires a good DC, then we may be on to something here. 

In 2007, if you had told us we could hire a Gus type coach with recruiting ties to TX who had also coached at a high level in TX, 99% of us would have been thrilled.  That's where we are now but even better, he has had meaningful coordinating and HC experience at the D1 level so hopefully he has more relationships to help him build a good staff.   Let's get on board !!!

jackflash

not fair to compare anyone to Nutt

HawgWyld

Quote from: jackflash on December 06, 2017, 07:43:57 pm

Well, that's not nearly the insult it once was. After five years of Bielema, Nutt looks like a genius...

First off, clean shaven, awake, no lost looks, appeared to be involved in the interview, not just saying the boilerplate things that are mandatory, didn't start out by dissing Saban, Gus, and anyone else he could think of.  Didn't seem worried about his high speed offense being a safety hazard while planning on running over smaller, slower rent a wins 3 or 4 times annually.  Seemed to have no trouble staying awake for the interview.

Who he can get for assistants will be the difference makers.  We need energy at every position.  Knowledge will help too.  Recruiters are mandatory at every position. 

We will get our asses handed to us with the talent we have and his ideas early on.  A bad offense or defense can come in any form.  But he sounds like he actually cares and plans to go do something about it. 

HF#1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2017, 05:14:19 pm
So glad we got somebody so close to saint Gus.

Smh

How bad does your ass hurt exactly? Scale from 1-10
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

a shady hog

Does anyone know his philosophy on Special Teams? We haven't been good there for quite awhile under Bielema and Arkansas had a rich tradition of having great Special Teams. I hope we can return to that.

195bc

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:11:37 pm
He held out for Texas A&M to fire Sumlin or he would have already left SMU. But they didn't come calling. The guy is a Aggie so you can't blame him.

If he does great here and Jimbo doesn't work out I can see him ending up there.

You realize Jimbo's contract is 10 years, $75 million guaranteed. In five years, Jimbo's buyout is still $37.5 million.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Porkette on December 06, 2017, 05:06:52 pm
Good interview, thanks!

I like the comparison of our program to where Clemson was a few years ago, something discussed on here just today.
It's a good comparison.  Swinney convinced the Clemson brass to invest heavily into football.  He got them to pay big for coordinators like Morris and Venables.  He got them to invest big time in facilities and he got them to have a huge recruiting budget.  Swinney is a great salesman to the players and the administration and I think Morris can do the same thing.  Clemson is located in a much better place for recruiting and we will likely never catch up to them or the blue bloods but we sure can improve a lot to compete with the SEC teams.  We need defensive players big time and I hope Morris can convince them to come to Arkansas.   

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: jackflash on December 06, 2017, 07:43:57 pm

Literally stated, in plain english, that I was not comparing him to Houston Nutt.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Tarheelhawg

Great interview! CCM has a plan with the intelligence and experience to execute it: a blue print for a national championship.  I am on board.

Donny2665

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 06:11:37 pm
He held out for Texas A&M to fire Sumlin or he would have already left SMU. But they didn't come calling. The guy is a Aggie so you can't blame him.

If he does great here and Jimbo doesn't work out I can see him ending up there.

I don't think this is the case! I first thought that but after further research, he never played College Football, so there wasn't a football connection with A&M. As he explained in the interview, he took his first job as a math teacher and coach. He could end up being here a long time if he is successful.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Citizen2729

Been a long time since I've seen a Ark Head Coach have some energy in voice. Been in slow motion for 6 years now.

hoglady

All Hogs fans should listen to the high school story.
Had gone to 4 state championship games in a row - then missed the playoffs. Said fans weren't happy with him, that's when he came to observe Malzahn's system. Decided to make the change knowing if he missed the playoffs for a 2nd year he would be fired.
Take their football serious in West Texas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tuskarilla

Jimbob111

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 06, 2017, 05:18:20 pm
We went with complete opposite of BB ball..I like it

So we went away from Old Man football. Good. For the longest time, I was against the spread because I wanted Hogs to go on to the NFL. But I've noticed there is no difference in the number of players going to the NFL whether from spread or
'pro style'.

whatever wins games. 
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Jackson_64

Awesome interview! I'm all in with CCM and can't wait to see the offense. I'm sure he'll find the right DC to help him. From what I heard, sounds like a guy who knows what a halftime adjustment is!  ;) ;)
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

Donny2665

Quote from: hoglady on December 06, 2017, 09:38:49 pm
All Hogs fans should listen to the high school story.
Had gone to 4 state championship games in a row - then missed the playoffs. Said fans weren't happy with him, that's when he came to observe Malzahn's system. Decided to make the change knowing if he missed the playoffs for a 2nd year he would be fired.
Take their football serious in West Texas.
Definitely shows he keeps his thumb on the pulse of the fans.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on December 06, 2017, 05:00:29 pm
He referred to Texas as "this state" and Arkansas as "that state" several times. How long do you think it will take him to figure out how much "that state" dislikes "this state"?

Could have been taking off from Love Field.

ConHawg

I don't see anything bad in this hire so far.  It is pretty obvious we were not gonna land a big fish.  So a coach that is excited to be here and has a great offensive mind is awesome.  If he can get a good staff and fix our many deficiencies we could be really good in a couple years.

Redhogs

Quote from: 12247 on December 06, 2017, 07:50:55 pm
First off, clean shaven, awake, no lost looks, appeared to be involved in the interview, not just saying the boilerplate things that are mandatory, didn't start out by dissing Saban, Gus, and anyone else he could think of.  Didn't seem worried about his high speed offense being a safety hazard while planning on running over smaller, slower rent a wins 3 or 4 times annually.  Seemed to have no trouble staying awake for the interview.

Who he can get for assistants will be the difference makers.  We need energy at every position.  Knowledge will help too.  Recruiters are mandatory at every position. 

We will get our asses handed to us with the talent we have and his ideas early on.  A bad offense or defense can come in any form.  But he sounds like he actually cares and plans to go do something about it.
Excellent..especially paragraph one.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

311Hog

this guy having a math and statistics degree REALLY impresses me.  Money Ball anyone?  that type of knowledge combined with years of high level football experience is a match made in football heaven.

Donny2665

Quote from: 311Hog on December 07, 2017, 09:24:34 am
this guy having a math and statistics degree REALLY impresses me.  Money Ball anyone?  that type of knowledge combined with years of high level football experience is a match made in football heaven.
One thing for sure, we will all be excited next season!