Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is your choice for Def Coordinator?

Started by beachhawg, December 06, 2017, 03:22:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CAB

I think Marion Hobby is the guy and somehow the media screw up the leak and and ran with Venables.  Let face it, we sound crazy thinking Brent is gonna leave that job for ours the year that his son is coming in and they are playing for a NC every year.  However, Hobby is solid and could be a great hire and good recruiter.  Was Co-DC with Venables at Clem and is doing a heck of a job with the Jags (has NFL experience as a player and coach).   But then again i have no sources just common senses.

Another thought:  What about Butch Davis?  Making 1 mil at FIU and has always been a good recruiter.  He has tons of experience at the college and pro level and Superbowl rings.

hog911

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 06, 2017, 03:31:12 pm
GREAT!  Here we go again.  I will predict that whoever it is, a large number of fans will complain.

Yesterday everyone was saying we would get Venables! Why do we need to consider a second option?

logic

If we only knew now instead of in 5 years after they have proven themselves, there are a half dozen young assistant coaches that would jump at the opportunity to be a dc at Arkansas for less than a half million per year and be an outstanding dc.  If he was still around and in his prime, Frank Broyles would likely choose one, but does Coach Morris have that ability?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: beachhawg on December 06, 2017, 03:22:54 pm
Outside of Venables that is?
Not a surprising observation on my part, however, given Morris' background his eventual choice of DC could very well be THE most important/key selection he makes. It appears that likely his offense shouldn't have problems moving the ball on most folks. It's the ability of his team(s) to stop the other guy is what's of prime concern to me. Typical "shoot outs" like what we often see in places like the Big 12 isn't going to get it done against most of our SEC opponents.

Hugo Bezdek

If we're offering $2.5M for Venables to be our DC, I'm going to believe he's a viable candidate until he says No. At this point he's not a candidate for any P5 HC jobs, and Arkansas gets him closer to home and an opportunity to work with a guy he considers a friend. Even then, the chance to continue with a Championship contender may keep him at Clemson. But to rule the possibility out is just being defeatist.

King Kong

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 06, 2017, 04:08:36 pm
I would be pumped about this but I don't know if he would. I mean that's really moving backwards.

No it isn't

King Kong

Quote from: hog911 on December 07, 2017, 08:11:21 am

Yesterday everyone was saying we would get Venables! Why do we need to consider a second option?

Almost everyone has been saying from the beginning it wasn't Venables. Reports were Morris would pursue Venables as he should.

But 90% of this board recognized from the beginning it is extremely unlikely

ur

I think Grantham and Steele are examples of how players can make a coach look great. They weren't that great at their previous stops but look great where they are now. Miss state went out and got a bunch of the top def juco players last year and it showed on the field. We need to do that.

hogcards

Venables or Aranda.

Please stop mentioning Todd Graham.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

GalaHawg

Pete Golding - young and hungry... Coached number 7 defense in the country... Texas and Louisiana ties.

Wildhog

If Saban doesn't promote Tosh Lupoi, I'd love to get him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

roothawg

GringoHog

I was just thinking about 1998 Broyles Award finalist Keith Burns and the Code Red defense...looked him up and boy he sure fizzled after that season.... now coaching girls peewee football in California or something.  WOW.

Aside from Brent Venables, I like the Marion Hobby idea.  Maybe Mel Tucker.
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

Dropkick

Grinch! Hes is set to make $650K at WSU next season.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcards on December 07, 2017, 09:40:15 am
Venables or Aranda.

There is nothing wrong with Todd Graham, he would be a great hire for the DC position.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HoggyFlint

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: azhog10 on December 06, 2017, 06:23:48 pm
Inwas suggesting someone from Todd Bowles coaching tree. Again you fail to see the or someone like him comment. Tired of folks who can't comprehend.

If you would have taken the time in the first place to spell it out everyone else would have understood. Your laziness cost you 4 other posts trying to explain what you imagined to be elementary, but you fail to understand that voice inflection and body language do not carry over very well. I doubt that you have any issues understanding my point...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Sapperhog

Quote from: osumed14 on December 06, 2017, 05:07:17 pm
Pete Kwiatkowski

Last three years at Univ of Washington 2 top 10 total D and third was a 12th ranked total D

Makes 500k and lives in freaking Seattle.
Imagine what 1-1.5 mil would look like in Fayetteville compared to that

Would love to have him but he has been with Peterson forever. Great choice though.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

masbas3

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 01:01:13 pm
If Saban doesn't promote Tosh Lupoi, I'd love to get him.

He's an all world recruiter.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Chris Ryan

Manny Diaz would be my guess since we most likely will not get Venables. Diaz has SEC and Texas experience. He's back in his hometown of Miami, but money has a way of softening those connections.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 07, 2017, 01:00:18 pm
Pete Golding - young and hungry... Coached number 7 defense in the country... Texas and Louisiana ties.

no brainer - that's the guy

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 01:31:13 pm
There is nothing wrong with Todd Graham, he would be a great hire for the DC position.

No

No he wouldn't

lamont7906

I'm for trying Pete Golding from UTSA, every where he coached his defense was tops. No loyalty to no power 5 school since he went to a smaller school he would come cheap must be good since he been dealing with less talented players and believe if we catch him while he is young and upcoming his loyalty may fall with us.

InternetDrama

Jim Leonhard from Wisconson has the #1 defense in the country, and #5 in efficiency. Averaging  ~250 yards per game from opponents. He's 35 years old and had a 10 year carrer playing in the NFL. BUT he walked on at Wisconson, and that is his alma mater, so I don't know if we could get him to leave.

EDIT: Oh, and he was a Broyles award finalist this year too.
Texas still sucks.

the 1 and only

molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

OnYourToes

My vote is for 1 of 2 Monte's

Monte Kiffin

or

Monte Coleman - HC a UAPB, went to UCA, played several years in the NFL as LB, same team as Darrel Green.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

SooieGeneris

Alex Grinch might be a good hire. Position coach at Mizzou their first two years in the SEC, so he has SEC experience.

Did great at WSU with an uptempo offense on the other side of the ball, so no whining about being on the field too long or throwing fits about the offense.

Side note: I looked up the guy's bio and Mount Union in Ohio is his college alma mater. I thought that school sounded familiar, so I googled their alums.

He and Matt Campbell formerly of Toledo, current Iowa State HC, were teammates at Mount Union.

The HC or someone there was doing some serious coaching to have two guys like that there at the same time, one winning 7 games at Iowa State and the other a Broyles Award nominee.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

thebignasty

Quote from: OnYourToes on December 07, 2017, 05:03:46 pm
My vote is for 1 of 2 Monte's

Monte Kiffin

or

Monte Coleman - HC a UAPB, went to UCA, played several years in the NFL as LB, same team as Darrel Green.

Monte Kiffin is way too old, I'm afraid.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

The real Hogules

December 07, 2017, 05:31:32 pm #130 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:04:36 pm by The real Hogules
Bud Foster would be my choice.
He's 55 and making $900,000.00 in salary and retention incentives.
We could easily double his $$$ and add the title of assistant head coach to his resume.
Hey, he probably wouldn't come, but there's a better chance of Foster leaving Hokie land than there is of Venables leaving Death Valley.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Kneph13

Whomever CCM hires, but I have a very small glimmer of hope in the "pipe dream".
There is no Political Correctness in war

Gari7

Gene Chizik - he is a much better DC than a HC

Großer Kriegschwein

In no particular order:

Gene Chizik (TV Analyst)
John Chavis (Unemployed)
Bud Foster (VA Tech)
Alex Grinch (WSU)
Todd Orlando (Texas, so not likely)
Lance Anderson (Stanford)

This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

The thought of hiring Grinch, having put a good defense on the field for an air raid team, is pretty appealing.  And we could get him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

3kgthog

Brian Early, ASU d-line coach. Just look at the sack totals from his group.

Wildhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 07, 2017, 05:41:44 pm
Brian Early, ASU d-line coach. Just look at the sack totals from his group.

He should be DL coach.  Think he'd be a solid hire.
1909/1964/1965/1977

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 07, 2017, 02:27:53 pm
no brainer - that's the guy

would be solid but fans would run him out of town.  little exp as DC but very solid

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 05:41:23 pm
The thought of hiring Grinch, having put a good defense on the field for an air raid team, is pretty appealing.  And we could get him.

His defensive staff would have to be great regional recruiters.

Brian Early would be a good pick for DL. LB and Safety coaches need to be from TX and Louisiana.

rickm1976

Quote from: thebignasty on December 06, 2017, 04:18:38 pm
I am sick of the bend don't break, avoid big play philosophy Bielema tried.

Let's go risky. Blitz, stunt, attack.  We need to force negative plays and turnovers.

Coming from an old defensive back, I agree.  I can't stand that style.  My son is a HS coach, and that's what his team plays, and I understand coming from him why that philosophy, but I just can't stomach it.  It is the source of most of our arguments.

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on December 06, 2017, 04:18:38 pm
I am sick of the bend don't break, avoid big play philosophy Bielema tried.

Let's go risky. Blitz, stunt, attack.  We need to force negative plays and turnovers.

Man I completely agree.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Elguapo501

Bring kieth burns back 4-2-5 best defense we had in the last 20 years zack painter kenoy Kennedy

rickm1976

Venables or Aranda.

Amen to that.  Graham's personality would not be a good fit.

Großer Kriegschwein

Venables or Aranda.

Aranda's philosophy of a man defensive secondary isn't as easy to do with the athletes that we can get regularly.

If would take a couple years to recruit that kind of speed and physicality.

I don't know if Aranda wants that type of challenge.

nwahogs

Snout team

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

InternetDrama

Why, for the past 10-12 years, does Butch Davis' name always come up from somebody on HV where there's a coaching change or talk of a coaching change? I didn't get it when people were saying fire Nutt / hire Gus, and I really don't get it now.
Texas still sucks.

ipigsooie

We need to bring the Grinch for christmas!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Mike Ditka. He was at the catfish hole eating last week. CMM said he would get the best. Well, he would be the best. J/K
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Big_Red_1

I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!