Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dustin Fry as new OL coach

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, December 06, 2017, 02:22:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

GA assistant at Clemson, then became SMU's OL coach in 2015.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Wildhog

Not trying to be a downer, but his only recruiting experience is at SMU.  Last time we hired an OL coach with no major recruiting experience, it didn't work out so well.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dannyluvssonic

I guess we are going to get the SMU staff here.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

SmokinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 06, 2017, 02:24:16 pm
Not trying to be a downer, but his only recruiting experience is at SMU.  Last time we hired an OL coach with no major recruiting experience, it didn't work out so well.

I'm not liking the whole SMU staff being transplanted over here.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 02:24:55 pm

The 247 Sports reporter who first reported about Craddock and Fry coming here says we should NOT expect Morris to bring his entire offensive staff to Arkansas. Just some of it.

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildhog on December 06, 2017, 02:25:09 pm
What I was afraid of.

You did watch Kurt Anderson for two years didn't you?

Hogfan46

Most off Offensive staff is likely. I'm ok with that.

LawyerHog50

"Gotta give 3.5 mil to the staff" lol
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

farmhawg

This is why we need survival of the fittest....people like you get by.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

checkraiser88

Lol the haters about this secretly like our current OL coach

userpick

Relax. There's been two or three of them. Everything ive read says not to expect very many to come with him.

Oliver

Quote from: AP85 on December 06, 2017, 02:26:04 pm
You did watch Kurt Anderson for two years didn't you?

Unfortunately, yes.

HF#1

Y'all some overreacting females. Let it play out, it's not going to be an SMU transplant situation.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ChicoHog

Quote from: SmokinHog on December 06, 2017, 02:25:27 pm
I'm not liking the whole SMU staff being transplanted over here.
I wouldn't mind the RB coach, Traylor. he is supposedly a good recruiter.  I think he is the interim coach at SMU now.  Once they get a new guy maybe he will also come aboard. 

AirWarren

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 06, 2017, 02:26:34 pm

That's what I'm saying. Get Kurt Anderson out of here.

ifghog

Bringing most of offensive staff. I am all on Board for that

AirWarren

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 06, 2017, 02:26:16 pm
Most off Offensive staff is likely. I'm ok with that.

Defense gonna be another story.

rhog1

Can't help but be an upgrade from what we had.

Justifiable Hogicide

OtterHog

The_Iceman

What do any of you actually know about this guy....seriously? Just shut up with the complaining, please!

navyhog24

Just need to add Jeff Traylor who is said to be an East recruiting machine

PLHawg

People griping about his offensive staff.  They were one of only two teams in the country to have a 3,000 yd passer, TWO 1,000 yd receivers, and a 1,000 yd rusher.  Get over yourselves already.

gawntrail

You want somebody familiar with teaching the technique(s) specific to his system.  That way only the kids are learning... not coaches and kids.

Oliver

Fayettechill14

For those wondering, OC and OL coach are typically related. There's so much cooperation between the scheme and how the O-line plays to that scheme that these two coaches are often package deals. Jim Chaney and Sam Pittman is a classic example.

So it's not surprising that Morris would immediately decide to bring both his OC and OL coach. He thinks they're working together well at SMU, and it's hard to argue with that. His RB coach sounds like he's a great recruiter, so if he brings him too, that leaves 2 offensive hires to be made. Lunney and Smith could be retained in those roles (TE/H-backs and WRs) or new hires could be made.

Hugo Bezdek

All-ACC Center for Clemson in 2006
Fifth Round Draft Pick to Rams in 2007 and 08. Bounced around the NFL a little after that.
Clemson GA 2012-14
SMU OL Coach 2015-17

He's a young coach, mid-30s.

ballhog™

Quote from: PLHawg on December 06, 2017, 02:30:25 pm
People griping about his offensive staff.  They were one of only two teams in the country to have a 3,000 yd passer, TWO 1,000 yd receivers, and a 1,000 yd rusher.  Get over yourselves already.

^^^
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

EastTNHog

Dude played in the NFL, so I guess that's a plus for recruiting.

jcbville

Quote from: gawntrail on December 06, 2017, 02:31:00 pm
You want somebody familiar with teaching the technique(s) specific to his system.  That way only the kids are learning... not coaches and kids.

Hogville doesnt like facts. They like alternative facts.

Ex-Trumpet

If most of SMU's offensive staff comes it might not be a bad thing.  According to this matrix SMU has the 8th ranked offense this year.

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/offensive-stats
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HF#1

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 06, 2017, 02:34:34 pm
If most of SMU's offensive staff comes it might not be a bad thing.  According to this matrix SMU has the 8th ranked offense this year.

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/offensive-stats

OMG y'all look. Positive things and what not.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkSoda

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 06, 2017, 02:26:34 pm
that's just dumb.  one would think he has the ability to go out and hire some good coaches, that an SEC program should be able to attracted better assistants than he was able to at SMU. 

him hiring a clemson GA looks like he is not as connected as many here claim.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

OtterHog

Sourpuss

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on December 06, 2017, 02:29:06 pm
thinking he keeps Lunney and Smith.    We'll see.
thinking you and I have the same source

HF#1

RazorPiggie

Here is what I know. He's only 34 so he can relate to players. He started 36 games at Clemson from 2002-2006. Drafted in the 5th round by the Rams in 2007 and played in 4 games. Then bounced around practice squads til 2010. Was a GA for Clemson from 2012-14 and has been at SMU since 2015.

Most important thing for these two staff hires today is that they are young and can relate to recruits.

Scott7703

I'm hoping we hang onto smith and Lunney.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 06, 2017, 02:35:30 pm
that's just dumb.  one would think he has the ability to go out and hire some good coaches, that an SEC program should be able to attracted better assistants than he was able to at SMU.  see him hiring a clemson GA.

but it looks like he is not as connected as many here claim.

He is bringing parts of his #8 ranked offense. Shame on him.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Nikki Chavanelle‏
@NikkiChavanelle
Follow Follow @NikkiChavanelle
More
Just received word that wide receivers Coach Justin Stepp will also leave @SMU_Football to join Chad Morris at Arkansas.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

Wildhog

Recruiting experience is extremely important.  This isn't the place (or time) for learning on the job.  Sorry.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 02:38:13 pm
He is bringing parts of his #8 ranked offense. Shame on him.
I'm not going to complain too much about him bringing a couple offensive guys he is familiar working with.

the defensive hires will be critical though.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hugo Bezdek

I guess some of you are only going to be happy if hire a bunch of 60 year-old former head-coaches.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 06, 2017, 02:42:08 pm
I guess some of you are only going to be happy if hire a bunch of 60 year-old former head-coaches.
and you guys are happy transplanting an entire AAC staff to the SEC and hoping for the best.

you going to happy when he brings his 121 ranked defense here too?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 06, 2017, 02:31:21 pm
For those wondering, OC and OL coach are typically related. There's so much cooperation between the scheme and how the O-line plays to that scheme that these two coaches are often package deals. Jim Chaney and Sam Pittman is a classic example.

So it's not surprising that Morris would immediately decide to bring both his OC and OL coach. He thinks they're working together well at SMU, and it's hard to argue with that. His RB coach sounds like he's a great recruiter, so if he brings him too, that leaves 2 offensive hires to be made. Lunney and Smith could be retained in those roles (TE/H-backs and WRs) or new hires could be made.

You want to see what happens when an OC is stuck with the wrong Oline coach...watch tape of us for the past two years.  I'm fine with this hire.  Smith having his foot in Louisiana would make him a valuable keep for this staff.  Lunney's Arkansas roots would make him a good keep.  I guess we'll see.

Calvin Swine

It makes sense considering he wants continuity in blocking schemes under his system. 

Sourpuss

Quote from: Scott7703 on December 06, 2017, 02:38:07 pm
I'm hoping we hang onto smith and Lunney.
predict you'll get your wish

Wildhog

They're going to have to hire a recruiter at some point.
1909/1964/1965/1977