Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If not Venables then...?

Started by GohogsGoWps, December 06, 2017, 09:26:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GohogsGoWps

Any chance of someone like Bob Shoop from Tennessee? Their Hc position is still up in the air so it could be possible to get another top notch guy if Venables isn't actually a reality.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawginj

Jim Leavitt if we can pry him away from FSU since hes going with Taggart.

MTBrookHog

I want someone that knows what they are doing with a Joe Lee Dunn attitude.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

younghog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 09:26:27 am
Todd Graham

I'll say NO to this one.. My son goes to ASU and even tough ASU offense is good.. There Defense from an HC [previous dc] is weak.. This thumbprint is all over it and is not fitting for SEC standards.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

GohogsGoWps

Chavis could be a possibility with a new boss coming in for the right price. I'm just spit balling and wondering who could really have the defense going.

ElDawgHawg

The realist in me says Venables just won't happen... but there's something about it that makes me think it just might. 
Spread guys typically like opportunistic defenses.... so look for a risk/reward type DC if the Venables deal falls through.
#WPS

Sho Nuff

History tells us that we will get someone most have never heard of.  His stats will be meh, but the local media will tout him as a defensive guru.

GohogsGoWps

Quote from: Sho Nuff on December 06, 2017, 09:35:16 am
History tells us that we will get someone most have never heard of.  His stats will be meh, but the local media will tout him as a defensive guru.

One of my fears.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

brewster37

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap

Hugo Bezdek

If we're willing to spend north of $1M on a DC we should be able to get a good one. I would like to see us get Alex Grinch from Washington State. He was a position coach at Mizzou before getting the DC job at WSU. He has produced a Top-15 defense under Mike Leach. Let that sink in.

je100

I gotta say already, one of CCM's stand-out qualities seems to be his moxie.  It does take a little moxie to make at the best DC in the land, where he is employed by CCM's former boss and friend.  Also, there's the story of where he showed up with his full staff to get the attention of Malzahn. 

I think Petrino had that moxie, determination, killer-instinct, whatever you want to call it - a resolve to win and then to act on that resolve. 

He will need a lot of what Petrino had to win here.  Without the black heart of course.

online-with-swine

Maybe Chavis but he has been somewhat underwhelming at AM.

I just want someone who employs an attacking style of defense instead of this bend, bend, bend some more then break defense we have had.

GohogsGoWps

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 06, 2017, 09:53:59 am
If we're willing to spend north of $1M on a DC we should be able to get a good one. I would like to see us get Alex Grinch from Washington State. He was a position coach at Mizzou before getting the DC job at WSU. He has produced a Top-15 defense under Mike Leach. Let that sink in.

I'd be fine with that. I think your correct. If we are finally willing to spend what it takes on a staff Morris will have a legitimate shot at success here. I've thought thats been one of our biggest drawbacks being in the Sec. we've never really been willing to pay the price it cost to be a top tier Sec program.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 06, 2017, 09:53:59 am

Their D was NOT top 15..Like maybe 25 this year in a weak Pac10   Their loses were all blowouts. Not impressed.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

Chavis would be an option. Jimbo may keep him, but who knows?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HenduHog on December 06, 2017, 10:12:40 am
Their D was NOT top 15..Like maybe 25 this year in a weak Pac10   Their loses were all blowouts. Not impressed.

They finished #15 in Total Defense. But I do see they finished #47 in Scoring Defense. Still better than what we had this year.

GohogsGoWps

In a conference not really known for defense I'd say. But he's not the only one out there. There's some big name available if we're finally willing to pay the cost. That has me excited.(If it actually happens)

Torqued pork

No doubt about it.

ChicoHog

Quote from: online-with-swine on December 06, 2017, 10:04:22 am
Maybe Chavis but he has been somewhat underwhelming at AM.

I just want someone who employs an attacking style of defense instead of this bend, bend, bend some more then break defense we have had.
it doesn't matter unless he can recruit.  number one priority for a DC.  It may even be Rhoades.  But he has to rercuit some "dudes" like David Pollack likes to say.

Cave City Joe

Quote from: GohogsGoWps on December 06, 2017, 09:32:32 am
Chavis could be a possibility with a new boss coming in for the right price. I'm just spit balling and wondering who could really have the defense going.

I like this option
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 06, 2017, 10:23:28 am
They finished #15 in Total Defense. But I do see they finished #47 in Scoring Defense. Still better than what we had this year.

41st in rushing D. Considering Lsu, Auburn, Bama on the schedule this is a greater concern to me

mr_v8horsepower

Agree with Todd Graham as DC. He would be an asset to the coaching staff and they have worked together at Tulsa.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MTBrookHog on December 06, 2017, 09:30:08 am
I want someone that knows what they are doing with a Joe Lee Dunn attitude.

You mean not wearing socks ever or not using a headset to communicate with the other coaches during the game?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hawg Marshal

I saw where Randy Shannon has been named DC at UCF.

HawgwildinMI

Chavis would be my first pick if Venebales isn't an option. I'm very optimistic the more I learn about Chad Morris.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Hawginj on December 06, 2017, 09:28:37 am
Jim Leavitt if we can pry him away from FSU since hes going with Taggart.

Jim isn't following.

HawgwildinMI

Is there speculation on Venebales or is this wishful thinking?

InternetDrama

Marion Hobby for DC if we can get him away from the Jacksonville Jags.   Good connections with Morris, was co-DC with Venables at Clemson.
I'd say 60% chance on this hire.

Shannon did go to UCF.
Conflicting reports on Leavitt.
Les Miles offered Chavis $1.8mil / year to stay with LSU when he took the aTm job. Broyles award winner. Good hire, but will he get the offer?
Texas still sucks.

InternetDrama

Quote from: HawgwildinMI on December 06, 2017, 02:05:15 pm

Otis Kirk said it was a real possibility, and talks were in the works. Take that how you will
Texas still sucks.

HogPharmer

Wishful thinking.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Been10Hog

If he doesn't take the Tenner job, we should steal Kevin Steele from Gus. His defense looked awesome against Bama and the first UGA game

Hugo Bezdek

There was rumor of a $2.5M offer.