Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's the problem

Started by adroitful, December 06, 2017, 09:19:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

adroitful

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 10:02:12 am
I use common sense. Dan Enos could be our coach next season and we would make a bowl game. 4 very very winnable non-conf games, a couple conf games we can win. The path to a bowl game isn't that difficult to see. Hell, Bielema would have made a bowl game in 2018

Okay. Save this for this time next year.

Hoggie17

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 09:20:56 am
Thanks for that. Really, all evidence points to more than 4 wins next season. The schedule lends itself to 7 or even 8 wins even with a new coach.
This.

I think even CBB would won 7 or 8.

Tuskya

We sucked in 2016.
We sucked in 2017.

We won't suck in 2018. This coach has more drive than we've seen lately.
I bet the team is hungry. The fans certainly are!

HAWG MAFIA

I see 6 wins on the schedule next year, even with a new coach. 3 toss ups and 3 losses. I think we'll be anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 if we get all the right bounces. I'd expect closer to 6-6. Not need to point out that Morris is an unproven HC (as I've stated below with other teams). I'm basing my opinion on his offense, OC success at Clemson & SMU and his high school resume.

Eastern Illinois   WIN
Colorado St        WIN
North Texas       WIN
Auburn              LOSS
Texas A&M        TOSS UP
Alabama           LOSS
Ole Miss           WIN (unproven HC)
Tulsa               WIN
Vandy              WIN
LSU                 LOSS
Miss ST            TOSS UP (unproven HC)
Missouri           TOSS UP (lost OC)

adroitful

Quote from: Tuskya on December 06, 2017, 10:11:08 am
We sucked in 2016.
We sucked in 2017.

We won't suck in 2018. This coach has more drive than we've seen lately.
I bet the team is hungry. The fans certainly are!

Which is exactly why it's going to be bad bringing in a guy like Morris that's going to take 3 years to get the program back on track.. Do I think he can do it. Yes I do. But I don't see it happening for at least 3 years

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on December 06, 2017, 10:11:54 am
I see 6 wins on the schedule next year, even with a new coach. 3 toss ups and 3 losses. I think we'll be anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 if we get all the right bounces. I'd expect closer to 6-6. Not need to point out that Morris is an unproven HC (as I've stated below with other teams). I'm basing my opinion on his offense, OC success at Clemson & SMU and his high school resume.

Eastern Illinois   WIN
Colorado St        WIN
North Texas       WIN
Auburn              LOSS
Texas A&M        TOSS UP
Alabama           LOSS
Tulsa               WIN
Vandy              WIN
LSU                 LOSS

Yay! Mediocrity! That's going to put butts back in the seats! Also, i'm pretty sure we're going to lose that A&M game.. Hence why I said 3 wins come November.. That stadium is going to be empty. You can keep copy/pasting all you want. I have already done my research and have even stated that I think he can get it done.. EVENTUALLY. However, that's just NOT what we need right now. We need butts in seats. We have millions of dollars we need to make up pretty quickly

longpig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 06, 2017, 09:29:37 am
This.  The reason Long fought for Bielema is even a buffoon should win six next year minimum and they could have claimed the ship was righted.  Losing one of those OOC games, other than Colorado State who is okay, should be grounds for immediate termination.  Plus we have Vanderbilt and an Ole Miss team that is about to see massive transfers.  That is six wins.  If Morris is such an offensive genius, he should get those six and snag one more...maybe two.  Outside of Alabama, Auburn and LSU and A&M, the other teams are all equal to or less talented on paper than us.

This past season was a minimum 6 wins for Bielema too, wasn't it?
Don't be scared, be smart.

MontanaHog

Eastern Illinois   WIN
Colorado St        WIN
North Texas       WIN
Auburn              LOSS
Texas A&M        TOSS UP
Alabama           LOSS
Tulsa               WIN
Vandy              WIN
LSU                 LOSS

As usual,it will be the first and last conference games that will tell the tale. If Bielema could have beaten A&M half the time and Mizzou most of the time, he would still be our coach.

hogsanity

Eastern Illinois   WIN
Colorado St        WIN
North Texas       WIN
Auburn              LOSS
Texas A&M        TOSS UP
Alabama           LOSS
Tulsa               WIN
Vandy              WIN
LSU                 LOSS

People are sleeping on CO St. For the Hogs it is a road game, early in the season, implementing a new offense, maybe breaking in a new QB. Not a cake walk for sure.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Billy Bats

Quote from: MontanaHog on December 06, 2017, 10:17:16 am
As usual,it will be the first and last conference games that will tell the tale. If Bielema could have beaten A&M half the time and Mizzou most of the time, he would still be our coach.

BB ain't beatin nobody with that incoherent loser scheme.

majp51

Thanks for that. Really, all evidence points to more than 4 wins next season. The schedule lends itself to 7 or even 8 wins even with a new coach.

Not sure how your get there.

I see 5 easily winnable games.

North Texas, Eastern Illinois, Ole Miss, Tulsa and Vandy.

CSU could be a sixth winnable game, but the problem is that is in Colorado, and early enough on the schedule to be problematic. And CSU is not  TCU, but not exactly a bad team either.

But let's count that as a 6th win. Where is the 7th and 8th?

We can pretty much expect BAMA, Auburn and LSU as losses. A&M always had talent and I would not bet Against Jimbo in year one against any up and coming coach, even the board's beloved Norvell.

@ MSU ? Well it is a new Coach there, but they are returning 20 of 22 starters, presuming all stay through transition, off an 8-4 club. That just doesn't line up well. 
@Missouri? Replacing their OC, so again is possible, but don't believe you should guarantee it.

So... 6-6 seems to be the most likely outcome considering no bad luck, with maybe a 7th win as maybe winning one of the final 2 games of the season (going to guess Missouri)

8 is pure fantasy. It works under the presumption that X's and O's were the only reason for the 4-8 season.

Don't get me wrong, I could see Arkansas winning as many as 10 games next year (losing only to BAMA and Auburn), but that would require for a good recruiting class to appear out of nowhere, teh Team to buy into the new coaching philosophy by Spring, the team to have "gelled" by the CSU game, and for all the other new coaches to struggle in year one.

The realistic approach, even with the favorable schedule is 6-6 in Year 1. Even Bobby Petrino could only muster 5-7 in Year one.

longpig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 06, 2017, 09:40:46 am
And every Qb on the hogs roster other than CK has little or no experience in the SEC, at all.

If he quickly offers the Bohannon (*sp) kid we may see some QBs pack up.

HF#1

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 10:04:21 am
Okay. Save this for this time next year.

Write it down, take a picture...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawgon

Imagine this defense on the field twice as much while the offense is still a work in progress. 

You people who love this guy need to realize that and be patient. 

longpig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 06, 2017, 10:21:49 am
People are sleeping on CO St. For the Hogs it is a road game, early in the season, implementing a new offense, maybe breaking in a new QB. Not a cake walk for sure.

Playing at altitude...

Yes Hogville, it matters.

trphog

Seems to me that the problem with this board is that there are too many snowflakes, unhappy they didn't get their way.

3dawghawg

For me, I will feel good if CCM can be competitive in every game. That will give everyone encouragement for our future. As has been mentioned, the staff hires will be critical. Especially the defensive hires. I hope he is able to get BV but that will be hard to do. It does sound like the money will be there to get the staff we need

adroitful

Quote from: trphog on December 06, 2017, 10:25:03 am
Seems to me that the problem with this board is that there are too many snowflakes, unhappy they didn't get their way.

Why? Because we're bringing evidence and logic into the picture? Isn't that what "Snowflakes" do? Don't they just follow what the media feeds them? What do you want me to do? Research? Okay. I did that. This guy ISN'T going to put butts in the seats and that's what we need right now. I never once said the guy couldn't coach and couldn't get it done here.. I said it's going to take probably 3 years for it to happen and that's what makes this a horrible hire.

hogsanity

Quote from: longpig on December 06, 2017, 10:24:41 am
Playing at altitude...

Yes Hogville, it matters.

Yep, almost a mile up ( 5003 ft according to google ) with a team that is not very deep. Another point of why not to chalk this up as an automatic win.

People hurt because all their predictions or assertions of what they had heard from sources turned out to be wrong.

How many " It is definitely insert name here " threads did we see. Gus, Kiffin, Norvell. Leach, Venables we cited daily by Hogville posters " in the know " as for sure being the next coach. Now they all look bad and feel betrayed by those that gave them the info ( assuming someone did that ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

100% agree
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

adroitful

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 06, 2017, 10:31:47 am
100% agree

Still waiting on that Chad Morris vs. Alabama video my dude. Don't be a snowflake and run and hide now. Show me that video you were speaking of. You did do your "Research" right?

trphog

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 10:28:05 am
Why? Because we're bringing evidence and logic into the picture? Isn't that what "Snowflakes" do? Don't they just follow what the media feeds them? What do you want me to do? Research? Okay. I did that. This guy ISN'T going to put butts in the seats and that's what we need right now. I never once said the guy couldn't coach and couldn't get it done here.. I said it's going to take probably 3 years for it to happen and that's what makes this a horrible hire.

So, the evidence you speak of is your own personal opinion followed by a snot-nosed, hissy fit? What research? A winning season with one of the worst programs in D-1 football? (in three years none-the-less) Helping to craft on of the nation's best offense and turning around the trajectory of the best program in the country over the last 5 years? Rising from a high school coach to the head coach at a historically top 20 program in less than a decade? You have no freaking clue if this guy is going to put butts in the seats. If he wins, they will come. Your using your own emotionalism as a base line point for success when the truth is, you have no freaking clue. By the way, complaining about something taking three years to turn around only proves my point. You snot nosed, little, snowflake!!!

Cotton

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 10:28:05 am
Winning will put plenty of butts in seats. Its gonna take some rebuilding no matter who comes in

What magical coach did you think was going to come in and perform a miracle?
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:19:49 am
It's not that we don't like the man. In fact I think he very well could win 8 games in his 4th season. However, his first season he's going to probably only win 4. The fans are not going to be very happy when they hear the words "Building Process" after they've already heard them for the past 5 years. The seats are going to be empty and there's going to be booing. He better come in and show us 6 wins his first year or I don't think it's going to be pretty.

They might not like hearing it, but it is what it is. You can call it something else if you want to do so, but Norvell, Kiffin, Leach and/or anyone short of Jesus is gonna have to retool this place.
Even though some of you will give him the blame he had nothing to do with it...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cotton

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 06, 2017, 12:22:54 pm
They might not like hearing it, but it is what it is. You can call it something else if you want to do so, but Norvell, Kiffin, Leach and/or anyone short of Jesus is gonna have to retool this place.
Even though some of you will give him the blame he had nothing to do with it...
2 weeks ago we were a dumpster fire, and now people are saying if Morris doesn't win 7-8 games its a failure.

Hogville gonna Hogville. 
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

wachhog

Quote from: Cotton on December 06, 2017, 12:44:10 pm
2 weeks ago we were a dumpster fire, and now people are saying if Morris doesn't win 7-8 games its a failure.
Hogville gonna Hogville. 
Most are not saying he will be a failure. Most are saying that because of the disaster that was Bielema, the program is at a critical juncture and needs to see evidence of a turnaround quickly before apathy becomes entrenched. You saw what happened to basketball after Nolan was fired and Heath was hired, followed by Pel. It still has not recovered as evidenced by the empty seats. That's what the firing of successful coaches, regardless of the reason,  can do to a program if the success cannot be sustained..

hog of steele

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:23:58 am
A coach that has never coached in the SEC against a fully loaded SEC West. I'll believe it when I see it.

Fully loaded? Like 3 teams with new coaches. One team working the NCAA sanctions. That is fully loaded?

UA1985

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:19:49 am
It's not that we don't like the man. In fact I think he very well could win 8 games in his 4th season. However, his first season he's going to probably only win 4. The fans are not going to be very happy when they hear the words "Building Process" after they've already heard them for the past 5 years. The seats are going to be empty and there's going to be booing. He better come in and show us 6 wins his first year or I don't think it's going to be pretty.
But Norvell or Kiffin was clearly going to deliver 7+ wins next year???

wachhog

Quote from: UA1985 on December 06, 2017, 01:04:11 pm
But Norvell or Kiffin was clearly going to deliver 7+ wins next year???
As was the case with Petrino, Kiffin would have been seen as having more potential and would have generated more immediate hope.

hog of steele

Quote from: wachhog on December 06, 2017, 01:08:53 pm
As was the case with Petrino, Kiffin would have been seen as having more potential and would have generated more immediate hope.

You think fans would have been open to that message of hope after the last 5 years of hope messages?

We are in a transition. Transitions are always hard. If Chad pulls off a nice win ala petrino's LSU win, he will give the fans hope. I think we go bowling next year. That will be a better start than Petrino or BB got. Lets see if recruiting season and talking season bring on some hope.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: trphog on December 06, 2017, 11:33:08 am
So, the evidence you speak of is your own personal opinion followed by a snot-nosed, hissy fit? What research? A winning season with one of the worst programs in D-1 football? (in three years none-the-less) Helping to craft on of the nation's best offense and turning around the trajectory of the best program in the country over the last 5 years? Rising from a high school coach to the head coach at a historically top 20 program in less than a decade? You have no freaking clue if this guy is going to put butts in the seats. If he wins, they will come. Your using your own emotionalism as a base line point for success when the truth is, you have no freaking clue. By the way, complaining about something taking three years to turn around only proves my point. You snot nosed, little, snowflake!!!
Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 10:32:41 am
Still waiting on that Chad Morris vs. Alabama video my dude. Don't be a snowflake and run and hide now. Show me that video you were speaking of. You did do your "Research" right?

Snowflake ? From you? That's hilarious !

If you are too ignorant to understand that Clemson was still running CCM's offense, which is what I said, then you are beyond help.

Bubba's Bruisers

QB (inexperience) and defensive play (historically poor) will be critical.  Foolish to make record claims in either direction given so much unknown, but if I had go guess, I'd say 5 or 6 wins.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

UA1985

Quote from: wachhog on December 06, 2017, 01:08:53 pm
That's subjective and I don't agree with your premise. Kiffin, like Morris, is unproven on the power-5 level as a head coach.

DeltaBoy

There is no problem other than newbies starting threads about what wrong with Chad Morris !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

colt07

5 wins 7 losses next year. That Colorado State game is a loss. Their coach (Mike Bobo) was Georgia's OC and has that program moving forward. But that is not what will get us. It is almost 5000 feet in elevation and if you have never experienced that altitude it is a real game changer. Played golf out there and you can hit a golf ball further but just walking around was tough. We will not be very deep and that will hurt.

Miss St, Mizzou, and Vandy are toss ups. We may win one of the three (Vandy).  I don't see us beating Jimbo at A&M.

We should beat Eastern Ill, North Tex, Ole Miss, and Tulsa. The others are what they are.

5 and 7.

We have to cut him a little slack until he can get his players. I am not sure what we have now fits his scheme.

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2017, 02:25:25 pm
QB (inexperience) and defensive play (historically poor) will be critical.  Foolish to make record claims in either direction given so much unknown, but if I had go guess, I'd say 5 or 6 wins.

I wouldn't exactly call Cole Kelley inexperienced. He started 3 games this year and the team was better with him on the field.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

blea30

Look it's freaking SMU! Will be worst team in sec for more years than we can stand. Why did they make this bad hire?

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: hogsanity on December 06, 2017, 09:27:36 am
go look at the roster and get back to me. Who on this team is going to QB his style of offense? OR are we going to count on a tr fr from a 2a Ar HS to do it?

First off, Noland is from a 6A school Greenwood (second largest classification in Arkansas).  Second, if you know anything about high school football across the state of Arkansas (which obviously you don't), you'd know that the offense that Greenwood runs is very similar to the offense that Morris runs.  It's more of a RPO than anything. (Check out Noland's stats the past 2 years) These young QB's are used to this type of offense, and they thrive in it!  Thirdly, our current returning roster on offense is taylor-made for this type of offense. 
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

Bigfoot

Quote from: ElDawgHawg on December 06, 2017, 09:38:44 am
watch game film.  His offense is anything but finesse.  think Auburn with a better passing game.

Yep.

He's also a better coach than Gus.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 06, 2017, 03:04:30 pm
First off, Noland is from a 6A school Greenwood (second largest classification in Arkansas).  Second, if you know anything about high school football across the state of Arkansas (which obviously you don't), you'd know that the offense that Greenwood runs is very similar to the offense that Morris runs.  It's more of a RPO than anything. (Check out Noland's stats the past 2 years) These young QB's are used to this type of offense, and they thrive in it!  Thirdly, our current returning roster on offense is taylor-made for this type of offense. 

Nice work for your first post, and cool handle too.

I'm actually wondering if Coach Jones and CCM have any history, from when Jones was in Oklahoma ?

I think this puts Noland in consideration for early playing time, I really like his skill set for this scheme.

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 06, 2017, 03:11:20 pm

Nice work for your first post, and cool handle too.

I'm actually wondering if Coach Jones and CCM have any history, from when Jones was in Oklahoma ?

I think this puts Noland in consideration for early playing time, I really like his skill set for this scheme.

Every year in mid-December there are talks about Jones leaving Greenwood.  He's very tight with Gus.  Not sure his relationship with Morris.  I do know that Jones has friends all over the country.  I see him coaching QB's in college sometime in the future.  With the talks swirling again this December about Jones, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Hill with Noland.  We'd hate to lose him in Greenwood, but he's an amazing coach and an even better man. 
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

blea30

Quote from: wachhog on December 06, 2017, 01:02:15 pm
Most are not saying he will be a failure. Most are saying that because of the disaster that was Bielema, the program is at a critical juncture and needs to see evidence of a turnaround quickly before apathy becomes entrenched. You saw what happened to basketball after Nolan was fired and Heath was hired, followed by Pel. It still has not recovered as evidenced by the empty seats. That's what the firing of successful coaches, regardless of the reason,  can do to a program if the success cannot be sustained..

trphog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 06, 2017, 01:27:13 pm

Snowflake ? From you? That's hilarious !

If you are too ignorant to understand that Clemson was still running CCM's offense, which is what I said, then you are beyond help.

I'm sorry little snowflake, who was talking to you anyway!? Be careful you don't spill your juice box on your shirt.
He didn't revamp Clemson's offense? Based on what?

https://247sports.com/Article/SMUs-Clemson-like-culture-transformation-is-well-underway-51995017

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/5-reasons-arkanas-fans-thrilled-chad-morris-hire/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

Razoryak

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:25:16 am
I'm fully aware of the schedule. I also am fully aware of how quickly he got things moving over at SMU..

It has been documented the former SMU coach basically stopped recruiting his last two years and left the cupboard literally bare. Took over a 1-11 program ... Had Morris say took over a team like Houston or Memphis that was loaded, he would probably being coaching at another P5 school already.
Woo Pig

woodrow hog call

Quote from: trphog on December 06, 2017, 05:07:08 pm
I'm sorry little snowflake, who was talking to you anyway!? Be careful you don't spill your juice box on your shirt.
He didn't revamp Clemson's offense? Based on what?

https://247sports.com/Article/SMUs-Clemson-like-culture-transformation-is-well-underway-51995017

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/5-reasons-arkanas-fans-thrilled-chad-morris-hire/

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

I was trying to convince that other guy of the same thing you are saying, did not mean to quote you, don't know how that happened other than I'm no good with the internets.

trphog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 06, 2017, 05:10:55 pm

I was trying to convince that other guy of the same thing you are saying, did not mean to quote you, don't know how that happened other than I'm no good with the internets.

+1 My sincere apologies brother. I take back the juice back comment! hahahaha :) Go Hogs

Shoat

Quote from: hawgon on December 06, 2017, 09:25:26 am
And that's the issue.  If he doesn't win 7, things will get hot in a hurry.

We are at a place the fans have been patient and told to be patient for the last five years.  The thing a big name or a lesser guy with a gaudy record is that they've shown they can do it, so they get some slack Morris won't with his record.

He needs wins.  And he can get some immediate "wins" by some big hires for coordinators and/or flipping a few nice recruits.

AMEN!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:25:16 am
I'm fully aware of the schedule. I also am fully aware of how quickly he got things moving over at SMU..

Surely you are not suggesting the two situations are comparable.
[CENSORED]!

steveaustin69

Quote from: adroitful on December 06, 2017, 09:38:12 am
Who? The only one that MAY be able to do it is Ty Storey. I don't see Cole Kelley being mobile enough to run it. Again, even you guys are saying "Be patient and give the man time". I understand that. But, the people that fill the bleachers on Saturdays are DONE hearing that.

It amazes me that on one hand a good amount of casual football fans have become pretty knowledgeable about football concepts and how they can compromise a defense (RPO, RO, Power, etc.) and then there are people that think spread means you need mike vick at qb. 

HoggyCat

He speaketh not of which he knoweth. We'll be bowl eligible for sure. This couldn't have happened at a better time.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 09:34:49 am
Well if our fans weren't so fickle and emotionally irrational, we'd sell more tickets.

Emotionally irrational is someone that feels they are sane when they are not.....its gonna be the same scenario without a legitimate DC.....we are hosed.