Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Out Auburn Auburn

Started by brenthog, December 06, 2017, 07:46:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthog

We tried to out Bama Bama with Bielema, can we out Auburn Auburn with Morris?

King Kong

Listen I know a lot has been made a about Morrris learning stuff from Malzahn. Which he did.

But Morrris runs a lot of his own stuff and Gus to some extent has changed his stuff to more of a down hill run offense.

Hawginj

I think yall will like Chad's style more than what Gus runs.

Boarcephus

I just know that we'll never be able to completely out-talent LSU, Bama, Auburn or UGA year in and year out so we need someone who can do more with less and do a much better job evaluating talent and developing it to fit our system. .  Maybe Morris is the guy but Bielema was not that guy. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawg IQ

Quote from: King Kong on December 06, 2017, 07:48:36 am
Listen I know a lot has been made a about Morrris learning stuff from Malzahn. Which he did.

But Morrris runs a lot of his own stuff and Gus to some extent has changed his stuff to more of a down hill run offense.
With our oline any play will result snap - tackle no gain- speed option - tackle 3 yard lost- qb pas run option- 6 yard loss - punt on 4 th down. How does the new scheme from CM help ?
go hogs go !

NuttinbutMediocre

December 06, 2017, 08:20:35 am #5 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:45:00 am by NuttinbutMediocre
Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:13:44 am
I just know that we'll never be able to completely out-talent LSU, Bama, Auburn or UGA year in and year out so we need someone who can do more with less and do a much better job evaluating talent and developing it to fit our system. .  Maybe Morris is the guy but Bielema was not that guy. 

You are right that we need someone who can do more with less. He couldn't do that at SMU. Year 3 he was 7-5 (4-4) in the conference, and that ignores his prior two disastrous seasons. He was not moving the needle from what June Jones did there (7-8 win seasons).

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawginj on December 06, 2017, 08:06:00 am
i actually agree with this to an extend. clemson fans say the chad will abandon the run. Gus does the opposite.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boarcephus

Quote from: NuttinbutMediocre on December 06, 2017, 08:20:35 am
You are right that we need someone who can do more with less. He couldn't do that at SMU. Year 3 he was 7-5 (4-4) in the conference, and that ignore his prior two disastrous seasons. He was not moving the needle from what June Jones did there (7-8 win seasons).

Jones first 3 years he went 16-23 then finished up going 5-7 then 0-2 before resigning.  Jones wound up getting fired while Morris moved up to a better gig.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bkjbearcat

As I said before. I'll give him a chance. If he's the recruiter people say he is, I do expect a top 20 class by year three. Hogs can do that. 2017 class according to 247:

17. Tenn
Total: 28 
5: 1
4: 4
3: 23

18. Maryland
5: 0
4: 8
3: 20

19: Oregon
Total: 25 
4: 5

20. UCLA

We can't recruit like that?

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Billy Bats

Quote from: brenthog on December 06, 2017, 07:46:24 am

You're damn right we can. 

Swinefeld

Would be awesome if Morris can get Venebles and then Steele takes the UT job.  If the tigers go 9-3 at 7 mill a year, rumblings will start quickly

elkhog

Quote from: Swinefeld on December 06, 2017, 08:34:37 am
Would be awesome if Morris can get Venebles and then Steele takes the UT job.  If the tigers go 9-3 at 7 mill a year, rumblings will start quickly

What a pipe dream.  Why would Veneables make a lateral move from a NC team?  He can get a HC job anywhere right now if he wanted it.
GO HOGS!!!

hawgon

Gus is not all that innovative anymore.  I'm glad we dodged that bullet because I don't think that a lot of what he does at Auburn would have translated to here.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Swinefeld on December 06, 2017, 08:34:37 am

LOL.  There are a ton of Auburn folks who are pissed at what Gus just signed for and he goes to Athens and Tuscaloosa next year.  Knowing this, I'm still shocked he didn't come here because the $$$ was a wash, if he actually had that option.  ;) 

NoogaHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:41:00 am
LOL.  There are a ton of Auburn folks who are pissed at what Gus just signed for and he goes to Athens and Tuscaloosa next year.  Knowing this, I'm still shocked he didn't come here because the $$$ was a wash, if he actually had that option.  ;)

And what happens when his DC leaves to be the HC at Tennessee?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hawginj

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 08:21:46 am
i actually agree with this to an extend. clemson fans say the chad will abandon the run. Gus does the opposite.
yes Gus doesnt throw unless he has to I guess thats why hes never had a 1000yd reciever at Auburn. Chads style is more balanced maybe a little more pass than run and some of his run/pass options are crazy good.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: hawg IQ on December 06, 2017, 08:18:51 am
With our oline any play will result snap - tackle no gain- speed option - tackle 3 yard lost- qb pas run option- 6 yard loss - punt on 4 th down. How does the new scheme from CM help ?

It's called coaching. Something our players haven't had in a few years. When former players are complaining about our OL technique and how bad it is, something isn't right.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawginj on December 06, 2017, 08:42:49 pm
yes Gus doesnt throw unless he has to I guess thats why hes never had a 1000yd reciever at Auburn. Chads style is more balanced maybe a little more pass than run and some of his run/pass options are crazy good.

He had a 3000 yard passer, a 1000 yard rusher and 2-1000 yard receivers in 2017.  That my man, ain't bad. 

Jonbo

Well, you're gonna' hafta' out-somebody somebody.

OrvilleRedenporker

The Coach That Stayed at Auburn has never developed a passing quarterback.  Chad Morris has been much more committed to and versatile with the passing game than TCTSAA.  I will not speak his name after what he did to our University and our fans.  The more I research, the more I like Coach Morris and I believe he will have us competing very soon.  WE MIGHT OUT CLEMSON AUBURN BUT WE DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING LIKE AUBURN DOES IT.  I HOPE WE BEAT THEM BY 30 POINTS EVERY TIME WE PLAY THEM.

TNarch

Quote from: hawgon on December 06, 2017, 08:40:31 am
Gus is not all that innovative anymore.  I'm glad we dodged that bullet because I don't think that a lot of what he does at Auburn would have translated to here.
If Gus doesn't have a powerhouse QB or a hoss of a RB then he's mediocre.  He takes on or two offensive players and pounds them into the dirt.

Lanlord

At this point I would be happy beating more than one team in the SEC.  This Bert experiment has been abysmal.

jcbville

Lol. This cant be serious. The out Bama Bama thing was bullshite anyway. And this is even more bullshite. Youll always be trying to out something someone.

Donny2665

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 08:21:46 am
Holy cow, this is two post where we are agreeing!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

ChicoHog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 06, 2017, 08:28:46 am
As I said before. I'll give him a chance. If he's the recruiter people say he is, I do expect a top 20 class by year three. Hogs can do that. 2017 class according to 247:

17. Tenn
5: 1
4: 4
3: 23

18. Maryland
4: 8

19: Oregon

20. UCLA

We can't recruit like that?

We need to recruit like that or we will be forever doomed in the bottom half of the conference.  If Maryland can do (DJ Durkin is a great recruiter) then we sure can.  It doesn't matter if Morris has a great offensive scheme if he doesn't have the players, especially on defense.  We don't want Morris to be a "does more with less" guy.  We want him to be a "does more with more" guy.  Now let's see him get out there and recruit!!!

HogFoo

I believe this style of offense will work for us.  Had we not lost Pittman, or if we had hired a top 30 OL coach, Bielema's style offense would have worked here.    Anderson was worthless.   In any regards, i do believe that Morris style offense will work.  i dont know if he has an offensive mind quite as good as Petrino, but, lets face it.  We will never garnish a recruiting class ranking (whether deserved or not) like Bama, lsu, auburn, etc..  We'll always get a good handful of good players tho, and we get great ones every now and again.  i think that with this style of offense that we'll be able to do more with less.  with this style, you dont necessarily have to have a team full of studs as say Bama does every year.    i'll give you guys a basic example.  Take Greenwood HS football.  They arent filled with studs every year. yet they continue to always win.   They have a great QB , and some decent kids, but,they dont win because they just out talent every team that they play.  They win because of scheme.  It's coaching and scheme that allows them to keep turning out great teams every year.  When they do happen to have a real talented kid, they get that kid the ball as much as possible. Coach jones is a great coach.   And he runs the same thing that Gus ran.  Thats basically all Gus' system ever was as well.  Get the talented guy the ball in space and see what he can do.  Thats what he did at shiloh, springdale, etc..  But, in relation to my example of Greenwood and the Hogs,  i believe that we get enough talent to be able to replicate the same thing here at Arkansas.   I believe that we can have the same success that Petrino did running this style of offense.  I think we can be back to where we were before the Harley went into the ditch.  Once we start winning, since supposedly Morris is a great recruiter, who actually likes to recruit (unlike Petrino), i think we'll be able to sustain and be no worse than the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SECWEST, which usually equates to at least 10win seasons avg.  id be happy with that.   Those were fun times.  They will be fun again.  So, to ask, can we out Auburn Auburn?  I believe we can! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawginj

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:47:33 pm
He had a 3000 yard passer, a 1000 yard rusher and 2-1000 yard receivers in 2017.  That my man, ain't bad.
No sir. Chad had some fire power

Hawginj

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on December 06, 2017, 08:51:54 pm
The Coach That Stayed at Auburn has never developed a passing quarterback.  Chad Morris has been much more committed to and versatile with the passing game than TCTSAA.  I will not speak his name after what he did to our University and our fans.  The more I research, the more I like Coach Morris and I believe he will have us competing very soon.  WE MIGHT OUT CLEMSON AUBURN BUT WE DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING LIKE AUBURN DOES IT.  I HOPE WE BEAT THEM BY 30 POINTS EVERY TIME WE PLAY THEM.
completely agree and I've argued that point to exhaustion when eveyone thought he was the man for Arkansas. I am more than happy that he stayed where he is and screwed Auburn with that contract in the process. Time will tell but I think we made out like bandits.

regi

Everybody but UGA and LSU, run some version of the spread with tempo. We will be Arkansas, and just try and win games. Auburn is just another good team on the schedule,

Granny fan

Thank you for this.  I never want to see his name mentioned EVER again.

okrazorback

No would be my guess.

bphi11ips

I've always been in favor of Malzahn at Arkansas because I believe he is a great football coach. Nothing more. I don't think he used Arkansas the way many here think he did, but I don't like the way he led friends and administrators to believe he was coming then pulled the plug when his situation at Auburn improved. Good riddance.

I like Morris better regardless now and think the timing is better with him as well.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

qbrew

December 06, 2017, 09:51:26 pm #32 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:31:49 am by qbrew
Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:28:30 am
Jones first 3 years he went 16-23 then finished up going 5-7 then 0-2 before resigning.  Jones wound up getting fired while Morris moved up to a better gig.

Yep. The Aginners ignore the conference change and subsequent implosion. 5-7, 1-11 coach bailing after 2 games, last in offense and defense nationally.

Razor1997

Quote from: Lanlord on December 06, 2017, 08:54:51 pm
At this point I would be happy beating more than one team in the SEC.  This Bert experiment has been abysmal.

How did you game the karma system so well?

Hogimus Prime

Gus will be gone in a year or two so I wouldn't worry about it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 08:28:30 am
the only reason he is at a better gig is because we hired him.  Lets hope he finds more success here than he did at smu
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Fayettechill14

Trying to out-Auburn Auburn is a heck of a lot easier than trying to out-Alabama Alabama.

First, the HUNH spread scheme is built to benefit underdogs, at least compared to a pro-style smashmouth.

Second, the HUNH spread more naturally fits Arkansas' talent base. After all, Gus originally designed while coaching high school ball here in the state. Similar versions are run all over Texas and Oklahoma. Finding players will be much, much easier.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 07, 2017, 12:58:29 am
Trying to out-Auburn Auburn is a heck of a lot easier than trying to out-Alabama Alabama.

First, the HUNH spread scheme is built to benefit underdogs, at least compared to a pro-style smashmouth.

Second, the HUNH spread more naturally fits Arkansas' talent base. After all, Gus originally designed while coaching high school ball here in the state. Similar versions are run all over Texas and Oklahoma. Finding players will be much, much easier.

This. Plus it took a lot of BBs WR and TE recruits 2 years or at least 1.5 to learn the pro style offense.

He recruited so many Jucos that a lot of them were nearly out the door before they mastered the offense.

Then, he had to wash, rinse and repeat to go get more Jucos. He had offered a very high number of JCs for this recruiting class, making one last desperate attempt to save his job.

And it's a lot easier and quicker for the players to go from a pro style to a spread, than vice versa.

Just ask Gene Cheezit, trying to go to a pro style is why he's in the SEC Network studio. He probably would have gotten axed anyway, but that hastened his departure to a single year.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

PorkSoda

By the way, talk about out auburning auburn.  We got them to jump to like 7 million for gus, well we are paying 8 million for morris if you include the 4 million a year we are paying bret
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 01:32:15 am
By the way, talk about out auburning auburn.  We got them to jump to like 7 million for gus, well we are paying 8 million for morris if you include the 4 million a year we are paying bret

Well we had to get rid of Bret, which also meant we had to get rid of Jeff to get rid of Bret.

This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 01:33:35 am
Well we had to get rid of Bret, which also meant we had to get rid of Jeff to get rid of Bret.
all you can do is play the odds.  It remains to be seen if it pays off

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 01:36:50 am
all you can do is play the odds.  It remains to be seen if it pays off

yeah.

Jeff hedged his bets that Bret would keep winning until the stadium project was complete, and his buyout was reduced low enough to make a change. He chose poorly.

Morris' enthusiasm will be well received by the players. Soon enough during spring ball, we'll find out.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hawginj on December 06, 2017, 08:06:00 am

I know he Loves to have 3 or 4 (5'-9" to 6'-1") RB types on the field at HB and slot WR at the same time. He also likes the Prototypical long fast WR's on the outside... He will RPO the darn out of ya then throw over the top.
Hell! I had a dream that Cole Kelly was 3rd string QB and 2nd string TE, and caught a pass over the middle as TE, Stopped mid run, turned and threw it back to Gunnell who through a 60 yd bomb to Stewart who was standing by himself in the endzone to beat Bama...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 05:05:02 am
I know he Loves to have 3 or 4 (5'-9" to 6'-1") RB types on the field at HB and slot WR at the same time. He also likes the Prototypical long fast WR's on the outside... He will RPO the darn out of ya then throw over the top.
Hell! I had a dream that Cole Kelly was 3rd string QB and 2nd string TE, and caught a pass over the middle as TE, Stopped mid run, turned and threw it back to Gunnell who through a 60 yd bomb to Stewart who was standing by himself in the endzone to beat Bama...

If Saban was on the sidelines, that would be considered a borderline erotic dream.

As for the OP, trying to put Alabama Auburn got us tuned up by nearly 100 points in the last two seasons.

GringoHog

So what the OP is getting at.....we need to run an offense that nobody else in the SEC does! Good idea! Come on single wing!!!  SMDH.....
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

RideTillIDieHawg

Not worried about Auburn. I think when Gus has to transition QBs again they'll go 8-4 and the plains people will be rioting because of his salary.

1highhog

Quote from: NuttinbutMediocre on December 06, 2017, 08:20:35 am
You are right that we need someone who can do more with less. He couldn't do that at SMU. Year 3 he was 7-5 (4-4) in the conference, and that ignores his prior two disastrous seasons. He was not moving the needle from what June Jones did there (7-8 win seasons).

What the heck are you talking about?  He was doing exactly that at SMU, you're problem and alot of the negative nancies problems are that you don't take the time to look deep enough into what he had to do at SMU.  Go look up his records and schedule of the teams SMU played in each of the 3 years he was there, then take a look at the rankings of the classes he brought in compared to those of the teams they played against, look at the growth from year one to year three and how much closer SMU was getting to becoming a major player in that conference, he is leaving SMU in great shape for whoever steps in there.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: hawg IQ on December 06, 2017, 08:18:51 am

How about giving CCM time to get his own style of player before you saying he can't do this or that?  If the Hogs wanted a coach that runs the same boring type of offense that Bielema ran, that might as well have kept him.  I'm pumped for the hire; give him time before throwing him to the pit of misery.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

HappyFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 05:05:02 am

That would be an illegal forward pass.