Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU Grad on Morris:

Started by isavedjazz, December 05, 2017, 09:57:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 09, 2017, 05:57:33 am
Some of these So Called Hog Fans. Hope he fails & the Hogs lose.  Just so they can tell you "I told you so"... 
I wasn't sure about CCM at first.  Then I started to Google him, pulled him on YouTube, & went to other teams message boards. IE, Clemson & SMU forums, & SEC Rant..  Found out 90% of the people that think this is a bad hire are Hog Fans.  Some wanted the Gus Bus, some the Lane Train.  I'm now looking forward to the Chadillac.  Woo Pig
A TRUE fan is tired of losing...not a CCM supporter at the start, but he sure as hell can prove me wrong...and I hope he does..I've moved to cautiously hopeful.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

pigmania

Quote from: golf2day on December 09, 2017, 09:08:53 am
You might be right, but you having a positive or negative attitude has zero bearing on whether he's successful here. Wouldn't it be more productive and fun to actually buy in and support him until he proves he isn't going to cut it?

I just don't get having a bad attitude from jump. He's here regardless.
I think much of this negativity comes from a lack of trust in the PTB's ability to hire a quality football coach. Their hiring record sucks and hiring Chad Morris did not help in changing that feeling.

HotlantaHog

Too much negativity. Re recruiting, he did recruit the best player in the country, Deshaun Watson, from Gainesville, Georgia, near UGA, to Clemson, which transformed a program.

Agree on recruiting ratings. Need to be considered in context (SMU is never going to get the benefit of the doubt, Alabama names a recruit they are automatically four star) ... and some teams do try to fill their needs, not just get stars. And you do have some teams (Boise State comes to mind in recent history) that consistently outperform the rankings. Petrino did that as well as Louisville pre Arkansas.

Also recruiting is a team endeavor. The coaches you can attract to SMU are not all the same you can attract to Arkansas, and facilities among other things make a difference.

This year was going to be a bust in recruiting no matter who was hired. Would look for progress over the next two years.

When players see the offense, that will attract some offensive skill position players.

Dan42AR

Quote from: PetrinoFan on December 09, 2017, 12:30:46 am
I don't mean to answer for Lady Razorback, but i'll easily give you one reason only.  Freshmen playing time.

I'm not so sure that many freshmen will get that much playing time. I don't think our roster is all that bad. We have talent in my opinion but we didn't have a coach that could adapt to what we had. Maybe now we do time will tell.

hawgtime

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 06, 2017, 07:44:17 am
HiM,
I know you were promoting Morris for some time now.  I was skeptical about him but he was always on my list.  I just had people that I wanted so much more.  In the last couple of days though, I have dug a little deeper than simply his record.  There are definitely things on his resume make me very excited. 

1.  His philosophy on offense.  I have said this whole year that we needed this kind of offense because I don't see anyone being able to out Alabama Alabama.  I hated that from the beginning of BB's time here. 
2.  Competitive advantage with recruiting.  I think he can reach TX recruits.  I also think due to his style of play attracts recruits from the whole SE area in the country.  It is a style that high school players want to play.
3.  I want to watch this style of football.  I think that for the brief period when Petrino was here, I knew we could always score and score quickly. 
4.  I also think he knows the need for defense in the SEC and is not ignoring that side of ball. 

So, I hereby apologize to you for earlier disregard of this hire that you believed all along was a good one.  Plus, I have always loved the Texas forever mantra and from now on I am saying before every game, "Full hearts, clear eyes, can't lose." 

me too. i think that this offense will draw some studs and hopefully we can pull in some defensive ones with winning!

go hogs!!!

The NewEra

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 05, 2017, 10:19:51 pm
On a Dallas sports radio station, when the news started getting out, people who sorta know Morris (from interviews and shows they've done with him, etc) thought this was a great move for everyone. These people would have no reason to say anything good about us, nor do they have any professional allegiance to Morris. Nothing but positive comments.

Take that for what you will. Or, just take wild guesses like most people on here.

Any good will Morris or anyone else in Texas gets is earned.  I lived in Dallas for 25 years and love the state, but they call it like they see it and I like that.  Most people in Dallas hate the Longhorns too so that shows they are reasonable.   ;)

hawginbigd1

Quote from: rchog on December 09, 2017, 02:28:07 am
It is good to be excited about Morris.  Where does John Nabors get off on throwing BB under the bus?
Agree, the shot taking at CBB is distasteful to me, the man deservedly got termed, but I like him as a person. You can critique and analyze the past without slamming the man.

The NewEra

In order for a kid to qualify to play football at SMU they have to have a 26 or higher ACT plus a 3.25 or 3.5 GPA.

Eighty percent of the kids on Bama or Clemson's team probably couldn't qualify to play academically at SMU.

That's a serious headwind for any coach trying to recruit great athletes to play for the school.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 12:54:38 am
I don't want Morris to be another, Arkansas can't recruit 4 or 5 star players, so he'll have to "do more with less" coach. We've already been burned by being told that Bielema would do just that.
Better find you a new team to support then or you will continue to be disappointed. It is a simple case of geography. It's simple most recruits stay within 250 miles from home, draw a radius 250 miles from Fayetteville and see how many 4 or 5 stars live in that circle!