Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU Grad on Morris:

Started by isavedjazz, December 05, 2017, 09:57:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

isavedjazz

John Nabors from SEC Country-Arkansas had an SMU alum and fan on his podcast to talk about Chad Morris. Give it a listen. (NSFW)

https://soundcloud.com/arkansasrazorbackspodcast/episode-315-hogs-got-them-a-good-one-with-chad-morris
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

4me2know

Quote from: isavedjazz on December 05, 2017, 09:57:12 pm
John Nabors from SEC Country-Arkansas had an SMU alum and fan on his podcast to talk about Chad Morris. Give it a listen. (NSFW)

https://soundcloud.com/arkansasrazorbackspodcast/episode-315-hogs-got-them-a-good-one-with-chad-morris
Thank you

isavedjazz

Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

SMU people love Morris. I know a lot of them.

isavedjazz

Quote from: Karma on December 05, 2017, 10:09:58 pm

Hearing them talk about what he did recruiting wise as soon as he got there is encouraging. He sounds like a very hard worker.

Tejano Jawg

On a Dallas sports radio station, when the news started getting out, people who sorta know Morris (from interviews and shows they've done with him, etc) thought this was a great move for everyone. These people would have no reason to say anything good about us, nor do they have any professional allegiance to Morris. Nothing but positive comments.

Take that for what you will. Or, just take wild guesses like most people on here.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hollywood870

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Karma on December 05, 2017, 10:09:58 pm
I am one. So is my wife and son. We like Morris A LOT.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Calling All Hogs

It is nice to hear an SMU grad brag about him so whole heartedly. I remember Nolan's first year at Arkansas did not go well. But I felt like we still had something special because when I complained to people from Tulsa they laughed in my face and begged me to have Arkansas send him back.

Großer Kriegschwein

It doesn't matter one bit whether or not the players liked Bret.

Baylor players loved Art Briles too.
This is my non-signature signature.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 06, 2017, 04:07:40 am

Agreed.  Kinda like how our players wanted JLS for an interim - players aren't good sources for picking coaches.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: RazorbackToTheFuture on December 06, 2017, 06:48:19 am
Agreed.  Kinda like how our players wanted JLS for an interim - players aren't good sources for picking coaches.

As opposed to message board posters who know everything about everything.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 05, 2017, 10:29:44 pm

HiM,
I know you were promoting Morris for some time now.  I was skeptical about him but he was always on my list.  I just had people that I wanted so much more.  In the last couple of days though, I have dug a little deeper than simply his record.  There are definitely things on his resume make me very excited. 

1.  His philosophy on offense.  I have said this whole year that we needed this kind of offense because I don't see anyone being able to out Alabama Alabama.  I hated that from the beginning of BB's time here. 
2.  Competitive advantage with recruiting.  I think he can reach TX recruits.  I also think due to his style of play attracts recruits from the whole SE area in the country.  It is a style that high school players want to play.
3.  I want to watch this style of football.  I think that for the brief period when Petrino was here, I knew we could always score and score quickly. 
4.  I also think he knows the need for defense in the SEC and is not ignoring that side of ball. 

So, I hereby apologize to you for earlier disregard of this hire that you believed all along was a good one.  Plus, I have always loved the Texas forever mantra and from now on I am saying before every game, "Full hearts, clear eyes, can't lose." 

ifghog

It absolutely does matter. Really?? SMU folks hated to loss him. That says a lot.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 06, 2017, 07:44:17 am
HiM,
I know you were promoting Morris for some time now.  I was skeptical about him but he was always on my list.  I just had people that I wanted so much more.  In the last couple of days though, I have dug a little deeper than simply his record.  There are definitely things on his resume make me very excited. 

1.  His philosophy on offense.  I have said this whole year that we needed this kind of offense because I don't see anyone being able to out Alabama Alabama.  I hated that from the beginning of BB's time here. 
2.  Competitive advantage with recruiting.  I think he can reach TX recruits.  I also think due to his style of play attracts recruits from the whole SE area in the country.  It is a style that high school players want to play.
3.  I want to watch this style of football.  I think that for the brief period when Petrino was here, I knew we could always score and score quickly. 
4.  I also think he knows the need for defense in the SEC and is not ignoring that side of ball. 

So, I hereby apologize to you for earlier disregard of this hire that you believed all along was a good one.  Plus, I have always loved the Texas forever mantra and from now on I am saying before every game, "Full hearts, clear eyes, can't lose."
Thanks. Hope he turns out to be great at Arkansas. Your IQ is higher than vast majority of others who comment here and it shows in your comments. Most here never took time to do any real research on Morris, or on any other candidate for that matter. Just being led around by the nose. Typical of course.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

farmhawg

Quote from: ifghog on December 06, 2017, 07:51:32 am
It absolutely does matter. Really?? SMU folks hated to loss him. That says a lot.
Tons. Unlike whisky.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 06, 2017, 07:27:11 am
As opposed to message board posters who know everything about everything.

I guess you don't consider yourself a message board poster?

pigmania

December 09, 2017, 12:17:55 am #17 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:29:14 am by pigmania
Quote from: isavedjazz on December 05, 2017, 10:11:56 pm
Hearing them talk about what he did recruiting wise as soon as he got there is encouraging. He sounds like a very hard worker.
How is it that Chad Morris can be considered a great recruiter when his 2017 recruiting class was ranked 80th in the country and 8th in the AAC? Please don't use the excuse that he was recruiting players to SMU. A great recruiter is someone who can get great players to play just about anywhere, even SMU. His recruiting rankings at SMU would forever keep Arkansas in the SEC cellar.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 12:17:55 am
How is it that Chad Morris can be considered a great recruiter when his 2017 recruiting class was ranked 80th in the country and 8th in the AAC? Please don't use the excuse that he was recruiting player to SMU. A great recruiter is someone who can get great player to play just about anywhere, even SMU. His recruiting rankings at SMU would forever keep Arkansas in the SEC cellar.

The kicker is when you look at his Texas recruits ranks the last three years averaged... its the same as the 5 years at SMU before him. He doesn't recruit Texas well. These people will just blow smoke up your buttocks and make excuses.

Same ole same ole

pigmania

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 06, 2017, 07:44:17 am
HiM,

So tell me, how will Chad Morris be able to out recruit Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, OU and OSU? These schools, plus many others, recruit Texas hard. Many of those schools run a spread offense, many of those schools have bigger named coaches.

PetrinoFan

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 12:27:44 am
So tell me, how will Chad Morris be able to out recruit Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, OU and OSU? These schools, plus many others, recruit Texas hard. Many of those schools run a spread offense, many of those schools have bigger named coaches.

I don't mean to answer for Lady Razorback, but i'll easily give you one reason only.  Freshmen playing time.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: PetrinoFan on December 09, 2017, 12:30:46 am
I don't mean to answer for Lady Razorback, but i'll easily give you one reason only.  Freshmen playing time.

Lol

pigmania

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 09, 2017, 12:21:15 am
The kicker is when you look at his Texas recruits ranks the last three years averaged... its the same as the 5 years at SMU before him. He doesn't recruit Texas well. These people will just blow smoke up your buttocks and make excuses.

Same ole same ole
I agree. I think many Hogville members have been brainwashed by Bo Mattingly and the rest of the Arkansas Sports Media guys. These guys have become the pixie dust spreaders on the Chad Morris Tilt-A-Whirl ride.

pigmania

Quote from: PetrinoFan on December 09, 2017, 12:30:46 am
Which in turn leads to a lack of depth, because you won't be redshirting very many of these kids. Believe me, Arkansas won't be the only team telling these kids about being able to play as freshman. Sorry, I just don't see that as being a big recruiting advantage.

SooieGeneris

There are something like 500 or more HS players in Texas every year who sign LOIs with FBS schools. We don't have to get them all.

If he gets 10 a year as he stated was the goal, by my math that's 2% of the total. The key is getting 10 good ones who fit his system.

We won't be the only ones offering them of course, not good players, but you can't tell me 2% is not doable with hordes of students from the Dallas metroplex going to UA.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

PetrinoFan

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 12:39:00 am
Which in turn leads to a lack of depth, because you won't be redshirting very many of these kids. Believe me, Arkansas won't be the only team telling these kids about being able to play as freshman. Sorry, I just don't see that as being a big recruiting advantage.

You put up a good fight, but we will just have to wait and see on the recruiting.  I think a lot of skilled high school players come out of Texas, and not all of them will sign to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and they will want to stay close, they would have a chance go to Arkansas.  Not too many offense's will be as innovative as ours, and that will attract a lot of young talent.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 09, 2017, 12:41:05 am
There are something like 500 or more HS players in Texas every year who sign LOIs with FBS schools. We don't have to get them all.

If he gets 10 a year as he stated was the goal, by my math that's 2% of the total. The key is getting 10 good ones who fit his system.

We won't be the only ones offering them of course, not good players, but you can't tell me 2% is not doable with hordes of students from the Dallas metroplex going to UA.

Lol. He averages 2.7 stars at SMU. You guys were sold a bag of rotten goods by Arkansas sports media... you ate it up.

Chad Morris is a hs coach that doesn't recruit well. Get ready.
Or not.

The funny thing is in 5 years you will All be leading the fire him charge again.

pigmania

I don't want Morris to be another, Arkansas can't recruit 4 or 5 star players, so he'll have to "do more with less" coach. We've already been burned by being told that Bielema would do just that.

pigmania

Quote from: PetrinoFan on December 09, 2017, 12:51:31 am
You put up a good fight, but we will just have to wait and see on the recruiting.  I think a lot of skilled high school players come out of Texas, and not all of them will sign to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and they will want to stay close, they would have a chance go to Arkansas.  Not too many offense's will be as innovative as ours, and that will attract a lot of young talent.
I hope you're right. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

pigmania

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 09, 2017, 12:52:03 am
Lol. He averages 2.7 stars at SMU. You guys were sold a bag of rotten goods by Arkansas sports media... you ate it up.

Or not.

The funny thing is in 5 years you will All be leading the fire him charge again.
That's a very real possibility and something I'm sick of going through every 5 years or less. You're right about the Arkansas sports media. They have tons of pixie dust that they keep spreading around trying to convince us how great this hire was. Every single coach that is hired by the UA is the best thing since sliced bread. These guys make my stomach churn everytime I have to hear them sing their praise and worship of a new coach.

Augustus

I remember when Bielema left Wiscy, for the UofA... the majority of Wiscy fans were glad to see him go.  (And, that was before Jen's tweet about "Karma")

Everything I've seen from SMU fans/players/media... they're all saying how great of a hire the Hogs just made. They're all wishing Coach Morris well.

There are no hard feelings about Coach Morris leaving SMU for Arkansas.  That says a lot, to me.

Yes... Bielema was a "good guy", and it appears Coach Morris is also one of the "good guys"...

But, I think with Coach Morris, we get an offensive scheme & recruiting capibilities... that we haven't seen before.

I'm excited for the future. GO HOGS!

pigmania

Quote from: Augustus on December 09, 2017, 01:10:36 am
I remember when Bielema left Wiscy, for the UofA... the majority of Wiscy fans were glad to see him go.  (And, that was before Jen's tweet about "Karma")

Everything I've seen from SMU fans/players/media... they're all saying how great of a hire the Hogs just made. They're all wishing Coach Morris well.

There are no hard feelings about Coach Morris leaving SMU for Arkansas.  That says a lot, to me.

Yes... Bielema was a "good guy", and it appears Coach Morris is also one of the "good guys"...

But, I think with Coach Morris, we get an offensive scheme & recruiting capibilities... that we haven't seen before.

I'm excited for the future. GO HOGS!
"Recruiting capabilities that we haven't seen before"? Can you please tell me how his 80th place national and 8th place conference recruiting rankings for 2017, will turn into something we haven't seen before in the SEC West? 

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 01:22:15 am
"Recruiting capabilities that we haven't seen before"? Can you please tell me how his 80th place national and 8th place conference recruiting rankings for 2017, will turn into something we haven't seen before in the SEC West?

If Vanderbilt recruited 8th in the SEC, that would be a barn burner. SMU is like the AAC's Vandy, only more so.

Franklin was 12th out of 12 in 2011 & 2012, then 12th out of 14 in 2013. Wanna tell me he's a bad coach?

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 01:22:15 am

Btw, Clemson was 27th nationally in 2010 and 11th in 2011.

Not all Morris obviously, but Swinney and Venables both give him a healthy portion of the credit for turning that program around.

rchog

It is good to be excited about Morris.  Where does John Nabors get off on throwing BB under the bus? 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rchog on December 09, 2017, 02:28:07 am
It is good to be excited about Morris.  Where does John Nabors get off on throwing BB under the bus?

Meh,

Bielema deserves some critique.
This is my non-signature signature.

hawgrunner

Phil D

Don't you dare come in here and try to make sense lol
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Phil D

Or not.

Well all I know is that he is the Head Hog for the foreseeable future. You are either going to deal with it or you are going to be a miserable human being for most likely the next 5 years, if so welcome to the blocked list pal unless you bring something real to the conversation, and wait until after year 1 to start puffing out your chest and being an ass just because.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

The Kig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 05, 2017, 10:29:44 pm

BFD... Are your wife and son as big of [CENSORED] as you?   
Poker Porker

Pudgepork

In this 1st year he doesn't have to out recruit those schools as much as he simply must out recruit Beliema.   Going forward, put a much better product on the field and a fun offense and the recruiting will become easier

searkhogfan

Quote from: Phil D on December 09, 2017, 02:51:45 am
Well all I know is that he is the Head Hog for the foreseeable future. You are either going to deal with it or you are going to be a miserable human being for most likely the next 5 years, if so welcome to the blocked list pal unless you bring something real to the conversation, and wait until after year 1 to start puffing out your chest and being an ass just because.

Some of these So Called Hog Fans. Hope he fails & the Hogs lose.  Just so they can tell you "I told you so"... 
I wasn't sure about CCM at first.  Then I started to Google him, pulled him on YouTube, & went to other teams message boards. IE, Clemson & SMU forums, & SEC Rant..  Found out 90% of the people that think this is a bad hire are Hog Fans.  Some wanted the Gus Bus, some the Lane Train.  I'm now looking forward to the Chadillac.  Woo Pig

nwahogfan1

December 09, 2017, 06:48:28 am #42 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:03:59 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: pigmania on December 09, 2017, 12:17:55 am
How is it that Chad Morris can be considered a great recruiter when his 2017 recruiting class was ranked 80th in the country and 8th in the AAC? Please don't use the excuse that he was recruiting players to SMU. A great recruiter is someone who can get great players to play just about anywhere, even SMU. His recruiting rankings at SMU would forever keep Arkansas in the SEC cellar.

I like to look at recruiting rankings and compare but at the end of the day its about winnings games.  Beliema recruiting rankings were decent around 25-30 but would finish around 50.   Morris has to recruit players who fit his system and coach them up. If he can get a great DC and defensive staff then I think Morris will do fine.  I am not predicting NC or SECC but finishing in the top half of the SEC  in maybe 3 years.  He was  big in HS by modifying his approach to fit the talent. I love that. I can see 6 + exciting wins our first year.   I love his approach. Let's get on board.

Inhogswetrust

I think Baylor players liked winning moreso..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: RazorbackToTheFuture on December 06, 2017, 06:48:19 am
Neither are jockeys' in picking horse races.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

pigmania

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 09, 2017, 01:40:25 am
If Vanderbilt recruited 8th in the SEC, that would be a barn burner. SMU is like the AAC's Vandy, only more so.

Franklin was 12th out of 12 in 2011 & 2012, then 12th out of 14 in 2013. Wanna tell me he's a bad coach?
Are you going to tell me that Penn St. and Arkansas are on the same level nationally? Easier to recruit to Penn St. than Arkansas. You can obviously see that by comparing Franklin's recruiting rankings at Vandy to his rankings since going to Penn St. SMU being ranked 8th (out or 14 schools) in the AAC is not equal to Vanderbilt. Carolina was ranked 8th in the SEC, while Arkansas was ranked 10th in the conference. Over the past 10 years, Arkansas' Sec recruiting ranking averages around 9th in the conference. Let's sit back and see if Chad can break the 8th place mark,which has rarely been done.

JoeyCapital

Or not.

You might be right, but you having a positive or negative attitude has zero bearing on whether he's successful here. Wouldn't it be more productive and fun to actually buy in and support him until he proves he isn't going to cut it?

I just don't get having a bad attitude from jump. He's here regardless.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

pigmania

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 09, 2017, 05:07:25 am
In this 1st year he doesn't have to out recruit those schools as much as he simply must out recruit Beliema.   Going forward, put a much better product on the field and a fun offense and the recruiting will become easier
Many of the schools that we will be competing against, for recruits in Texas also run a wide open, "fun offense". What's going to make Chad Morris' offense any more fun than say Tom Herman's spread offense at Texas or Gundy's spread offense at OSU?

pigmania

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 09, 2017, 06:48:28 am
I like to look at recruiting rankings and compare but at the end of the day its about winnings games.  Beliema recruiting rankings were decent around 25-30 but would finish around 50.   Morris has to recruit players who fit his system and coach them up. If he can get a great DC and defensive staff then I think Morris will do fine.  I am not predicting NC or SECC but finishing in the top half of the SEC  in maybe 3 years.  He was  big in HS by modifying his approach to fit the talent. I love that. I can see 6 + exciting wins our first year.   I love his approach. Let's get on board.
I hope it works this time, because we just spent 5 years waiting on Bret to "coach them up" when he was here. The pixie dust spreaders during Bielema's era kept telling us that he was great at coaching players up (since Arkansas can't compete with many other SEC schools in recruiting) and getting them to the NFL. What we found out was that while many guys did get to the NFL, that didn't do much for Arkansas in the win column over the last 5 years.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I was underwhelmed with the hire.  But I have done research and do like what I see so far.  I prefer offensive minded coaches and that is his strength.  The biggest problem I have is that when you come to the program and say you have a blueprint to a national championship but you havent even translated that into meaningful success in a lesser conference it's a little hollow.  The guys best year was 500 in conference play.  His BEST results are a game below what everyone on this site says we should average.  I'll eventually get behind him, I like him more everyday, right now Im anxious to see if he does something special with recruiting and makes a splash with the dc hire.