Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a place where this hire can be discussed in a mature manner.!?

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, December 05, 2017, 05:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I really want to be able to discuss this hire, and Morris to learn a little more without having to sort through 85% BS just to find 25% substantial content.
Don't get me wrong, I am one helluva joker on here, but this is a time that calls for someplace sensible..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 05, 2017, 05:08:00 pm
I really want to be able to discuss this hire, and Morris to learn a little more without having to sort through 85% BS just to find 25% substantial content.
Don't get me wrong, I am one helluva joker on here, but this is a time that calls for someplace sensible..!

I just read a little piece on his history, pretty good read, left me with a better idea of who he is and hopeful that his best coaching is ahead of him. If can bring in Venables as DC, then that takes the hire up several notches to just a hair below awesome, imo.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2017/12/05/chad-morris-5-things-know-potential-ut-vols-football-coach/904094001/
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

31to6

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 05, 2017, 05:12:52 pm
I just read a little piece on his history, pretty good read, left me with a better idea of who he is and hopeful that his best coaching is ahead of him. If can bring in Venables as DC, then that takes the hire up several notches to just a hair below awesome, imo.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2017/12/05/chad-morris-5-things-know-potential-ut-vols-football-coach/904094001/
All sarcasm aside, if he can pull that off then my opinion will change.

TNarch

It seems that we've come to the wrong place in search of maturity.  The voices of reason are much too calm to be heard over the screams of insanity.

I like the Morris hire.  He could prove to be a good long term competitor unlike some of this boards other favorites who will forever be looking for the next good deal.

elksnort

TexHog188

Looks like we are Whole Hog for Texas style football.  Texas AD check, Texas HS coach check. Having lived in TX for nearly 20 years, I don't think I've ever seen a QB under center.  I guess those who like B12 football are gonna be happy.  Probably should just hire Coach Jones at Greenwood for OC.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

judgeroyswine

When he starts winning, people will get on board. And he will win.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Melancholy_Pigg

DeltaBoy

He won where ever he been.

SMU was a dumpster fire and he got them going.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

elksnort

Quote from: judgeroyswine on December 05, 2017, 05:18:45 pm
When he starts winning, people will get on board. And he will win.
As a Texas high school football coach or in the SEC West.

Hollywood870

How many would he have won at SMU next year with all his top players returning? I say 9-10 wins.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 05, 2017, 05:19:23 pm
why not Norvell instead of Morris? 

That may be answered in who he brings on board for his DC, or there could be too much smoke about the baggage with Norvell. I didn't realize his arrival at Clemson coincided with their rise to the top. I could go for a coincidence like that here.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

GunnerHawg70

judgeroyswine

My kids have only ever known Kansas State to be a good, and sometimes a REALLY good team. But, they were once the worst team in college football. They were horrible. Then Bill Snyder showed up and worked a stinkin' miracle, making the Wildcats into a respectable program.

Chad Morris took over SMU and they were absolutely atrocious. He has worked a miracle there and he will win at Arkansas. AND...if he can get a great DC, we will see everybody get onboard with this hire soon.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

lawhawg20

Quote from: TNarch on December 05, 2017, 05:16:06 pm
It seems that we've come to the wrong place in search of maturity.  The voices of reason are much too calm to be heard over the screams of insanity.

I like the Morris hire.  He could prove to be a good long term competitor unlike some of this boards other favorites who will forever be looking for the next good deal.

And there, buried deep in the chaos, was a single shred of logic and reason.  Thank you for that. 

I like the hire.  Morris takes a steady, business-like approach to building a team, yet his energy keeps him relatable to recruits.  SMU is my second team and I was going to be sad to see him leave for another program.  The fact that he is going to Arkansas is great for me--especially given some of the other names that have been thrown around on here. 

Youngsta71701

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Morris

He was the Gus Malzahn of Texas High School Football.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Boarcephus

The more I read about him the more on board I am with the hire.  We've been bitching about not recruiting TX, here is the guy with TX connections. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 05, 2017, 05:24:41 pm
That may be answered in who he brings on board for his DC, or there could be too much smoke about the baggage with Norvell. I didn't realize his arrival at Clemson coincided with their rise to the top. I could go for a coincidence like that here.

Okay now I didn't know there was any baggage with Norvell.  (has baggage ever scared Arkansas?  we hired Danny Ford and Petrino - and I'm not saying that because I disagree with either of those hires)

I guess all we hear from Clemson is Dabo!Dabo!Dabo! and when you did hear about a coordinator it was Venables.  Good to know it.

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on December 05, 2017, 05:25:59 pm
He signed an agreement with Memphis today

Yeah - I guess I just thought if we were after him maybe he wouldn't have signed. 

hoglady

Can't say I'm convinced on this hire.

BUT - I will certainly be glad to not see Bielema on the sideline next year.

Really looking forward to see the staff that Morris can pull in.
If it's top notch - it'll be a lot easier to like the hire.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Michael D Huff AIA

When Bielema's hire happened I was sitting in my office and was so disappointed that I questioned what life would be like not going to Razorback games again, something I had done every fall since I was 3 years old.

I'm having the same thoughts now. I've never been more disappointed in my 40 years of fandom.

Razorback Nation deserves better.

TushCrush

I have no sources. I feel Dabo says "Get on the Morris Taurus ..."

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Wild Bill Hog

Not on here would be my recommendation.  Sensibility is pretty much lacking at the current time.

Boardon Hamsay

I'm gonna give him a chance and look forward to educating myself a little more on his background. Here's the thing. Being miserable about a football coach is a choice and all about attitude. To each their own. If you think the hire sucks, fine. I recommend "embracing the suck", in military terms, and giving the guy a chance. If you still prefer misery, cool. I'm sure you'll find some company. Just find it strange that some have such a passion and invest so much time in something that makes them miserable. Probably a really terrible investor....
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on December 05, 2017, 07:42:29 pm
I'm gonna give him a chance and look forward to educating myself a little more on his background. Here's the thing. Being miserable about a football coach is a choice and all about attitude. To each their own. If you think the hire sucks, fine. I recommend "embracing the suck", in military terms, and giving the guy a chance. If you still prefer misery, cool. I'm sure you'll find some company. Just find it strange that some have such a passion and invest so much time in something that makes them miserable. Probably a really terrible investor....

Man you know this place has gotten bad whenever You and I are having to talk like the adults...

I mean I haven't seen it this bad in 10-12 years or something like that...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The Copenhagen Kid on December 05, 2017, 07:46:27 pm
The SMU fans on Ponyfans.com seem sad to see him go

That is the one thing I was wanting to see.. You should go make a thread...

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 05, 2017, 07:46:23 pm
Man you know this place has gotten bad whenever You and I are having to talk like the adults...

I mean I haven't seen it this bad in 10-12 years or something like that...

It is what it is. I'm all for joking around and having fun here most of the time. Then, every 10-12 years or so, it seems like us jokesters have to be the voice of reason.

Here's what I wonder. Are the folks here this miserable in real life? I find it hard to believe most are but I'm sure there's a few that wear their Hogville persona out in the open. FCJ...Guv...come to mind.

Anyway, I don't know how many times I've ponied up to a bar with friends to watch a game over a few beers and ended up talking with other hog fans. I have never had a "message board" conversation with anyone over a few beers and a hog game.  Even in the frustrating blow out losses. Maybe I'm just lucky but never once have I been talking to someone and thought, "this idiot is full of hate and talks like he's typing on a keyboard."  Again, maybe I'm just not partying with the right folks. I think a lot of folks here become Johnny Rainclouds upon logging on here.

Can you imagine a "MMQB convo" at a bar over a couple beers, lol. That's how wars start....

Bro 1: sup, bro? Hogs gonna pull this one off?
Brah 2: prolly not, man we're f__king awful
Bro 1: ahh. We'll bright side is maybe we get a new coach for next year.
Brah 2: wrong! we'll screw that up too and hire June Jones
Bro 1: meh, maybe we find a solid up and comer.
Brah 2: wrong! It's not gonna be an up and comer.
Bro 1: you hearing someone in particular?
Brah 2:  no f__king clue but we're screwed.
Bro 1: maybe...
Brah 2: maybe nothing. You know nothing. My source says we're screwed. You're a f__king idiot. Up and comer! Never happen here! Book it!
Bro 1: can I call you an Uber, maybe drive you out to the middle of nowhere...leave you for dead?
Brah 2: I'm an Uber driver. F__k you!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 05, 2017, 07:26:18 pm
When Bielema's hire happened I was sitting in my office and was so disappointed that I questioned what life would be like not going to Razorback games again, something I had done every fall since I was 3 years old.

I'm having the same thoughts now. I've never been more disappointed in my 40 years of fandom.

Razorback Nations deserves better.

Look at it this way, Mr. Huff.  If he pans out a winner then all is good.  And if he does not win, he surely will not be any worse than what we just had and hopefully not as expensive.  And at the very least we'll be spared the Easter Island profile on the sidelines.

bphi11ips

"I wish there was something we could all take to cure us of stupidity."

Andy Rooney
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

walrus

LumberBacks

Maturity doesn't exists on any message board.  Nope. Nada.  None.

Deuce Pigelow

hawgwash

Thanks OTOTL for starting this thread.  I guess I'm neutral on the hire.  I wanted Campbell from Iowa State, followed by Venables, then Norvell.  But I think there's reasons to be optimistic.  He's shown improvement at SMU, which was maybe worse than Arkansas post Petrino.  It's not fair to judge him just by his overall record there.  The best card player doesn't always win.  They have to measure how well they play the hand they were dealt.  Two big questions are who can he hire for assistants.  If he can actually get Venables (makes no sense to me) then this becomes a grand slam.  The other question is recruiting.  He's reportedly good, and recruited DeShaun Watson, but someone posted a thread a couple of days ago showing he doesn't recruit to SMU any better than June Jones did.  That concerns me.  Hopefully my concerns are misplaced.

HoggieStyle

I don't have any misgivings about national championships. I don't think we'll win the SEC west again in the next 10 years. I would have liked somebody that would energize the fanbase and not have to listen to people say things like "well, I looked at his stats and maybe he's not so bad. It'll be OK."

Battered Razorback syndrome is in full effect.

The new line now is "if he can get Venables...". If that's what has to happen to make the guy palatable as the HC, was he really a good choice?