Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville turning on itself....

Started by hassettsportsman, December 05, 2017, 07:55:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: RazorbackToTheFuture on December 05, 2017, 08:14:34 pm
Heard this same darn when Bert was hired.  Sad we “should have to do homework” to justify an annual $3.5M salary.
Should have then and should now.  On paper both look like home runs.  One did not work out, here's to hoping this one does.  Obviously you still cannot even spell his name correctly.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Billy Bats

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 12:13:06 am
Should have then and should now.  On paper both look like home runs.  One did not work out, here's to hoping this one does.  Obviously you still cannot even spell his name correctly.

His name is BERT.  He's always been BERT.  He'll always be Bert.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: c-townfan on December 05, 2017, 09:52:30 pm
As it stands today, it's a terrible hire. And he's going to have to overcome a lot more because this is further fracturing our fan base. It's already hard enough to win here. So I think it's bad because it causes more division and I don't think he's the right man for the job.

Also, I'm a big cowboys fan but we all know Jerry Jones is not a very good evaluator of talent. He's good at getting deals done and being innovative but not good at evaluating talent. So the powers that be shouldn't be so persuaded by what he has to say on a coach. And that is A LOT of the reason he is being hired.

Also, I know recruiting rankings are not completely indicative of how good a team will be but there is a VERY strong correlation. SMU recruiting rankings in the weak American Athletic Conference under Morris are the following:

2015- 6th
2016- 7th
2017- 7th
2018- 5th

Not a single 4 Star. That won't get it done here. He's SUCH a good recruiter in Texas they say... well not much proof.
I don't recall getting altot of 4 and 5 star recruits at Arkansas ever. A few here and there maybe. Go do your homework on that. Cause apparently I'm a stupid fan.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 12:17:26 am
His name is BERT.  He’s always been BERT.  He’ll always be Bert.
False...  That is just something the simple picked up on because it was low hanging fruit and they could actually reach it
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Cylinder

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 05, 2017, 07:55:55 pm
..brats who aren't satisfied with their X-mas gifts...

You know what ? I say screw my brother and those $20 work boots he brought over in his $70K truck. Piss on him. I'm not bitter.

OK -- I keed.

Morris wasn't in my Top 3. At least they didn't grab a pro-style retread.

My opinion is they are doing what many fans -- including me -- were  clamoring for in making up for the talent deficit with a scheme built around the skill positions and exploiting schemes. Only time will tell if Morris can put it all together. The good news is that the results won't be inconclusive. Either he will or he won't.

Bowl eligible Year 1.
8 regular season wins Year 2 with no OOC loss.
10 wins within 5 years with bowl eligibility each year and at one season with a shot at a NY6.

That's building toward something special.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 12:27:11 am
False...  That is just something the simple picked up on because it was low hanging fruit and they could actually reach it

Do you see how the snowflake thing works both ways?

Count Hogula

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 12:27:11 am

Come on man, you're better than that.

It's the internet, besides that, it gets a little rough at times. That's what men do.

People pulling chains and laughing their asses off when y'all fall for it.

hassettsportsman

How much 'fruit' will remain for a good DC?  Will CCM poach any Ponies? How long before ADHY and CMM make the pilgrimage to LR to hit the Alotian with the Cap City Crew to hear their concerns?

GusMalzahnSr.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion as long as it's positive towards CCM and negative towards Kiffin...

Count Hogula

Quote from: GusMalzahnSr. on December 07, 2017, 12:47:19 am
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion as long as it's positive towards CCM and negative towards Kiffin...

I'm willing to give our new coach the chance that he deserves but, why should I give a flying frick through a rolling donut what you have to say?

Jonbo

December 07, 2017, 12:55:08 am #110 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:23:55 am by Jonbo
Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 05, 2017, 08:13:22 pm
The radio LOVES this hire as much as Gus does. If people went by what sports radio in Arkansas is saying we would all be in love with the hire. Bottom line is people saw the other options. All those options in most people's opinions were better choices and the rumor is none of them were interviewed besides Leach.

Time will tell and the truth will come out. In the meantime it is very reasonable to be concerned that a guy with a losing record trying to escape from the sinking ship that is SMU is now our head coach.

After we paid millions to get rid of long and bret. We bring in a guy with a worse record in a worse conference.

SMU slightly improved. Ok. He is a great guy. Ok. He saved Clemson...ok.

He is a underwhelming, boring hire. That IMO will bore recruits. Make other schools in the SEC breath a little easier.

And in hindsight makes firing Bret look like a huge mistake.
Sorry. Accidently posted before I wanted to.

GusMalzahnSr.

Quote from: Count Hogula on December 07, 2017, 12:50:37 am
I'm willing to give our new coach the chance that he deserves but, why should I give a flying frick through a rolling donut what you have to say?

big gus light guy ^

-senior

hassettsportsman

You think JL has 'total confidence' in the beached Bielema now?  Have the moving vans been spotted yet?   

PorkSoda

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 07, 2017, 01:06:38 am
You think JL has 'total confidence' in the beached Bielema now?  Have the moving vans been spotted yet?
after the new guy hires a worse coach from a worse conference and they are sitting around counting stacks of cash?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jonbo

The radio LOVES this hire as much as Gus does. If people went by what sports radio in Arkansas is saying we would all be in love with the hire. Bottom line is people saw the other options. All those options in most people's opinions were better choices and the rumor is none of them were interviewed besides Leach.

Time will tell and the truth will come out. In the meantime it is very reasonable to be concerned that a guy with a losing record trying to escape from the sinking ship that is SMU is now our head coach.

After we paid millions to get rid of long and bret. We bring in a guy with a worse record in a worse conference.

He is a underwhelming, boring hire. That IMO will bore recruits. Make other schools in the SEC breath a little easier.

Just because a few people decide to post repeatedly and forcefully that the Morris hire is a lousy one does not begin to establish that most Razorback fans are against it. It only establishes that some people are opinionated and loud. It may turn out to have been a great move. It may turn out terribly. There nothing we can do about it for quite awhile. It has to play out. Besides, it looks like it was a good hire to many, including myself. We may well be in the majority here, and I say "looks", because only time will tell. Please! Give it a rest for awhile.

hassettsportsman

The new guy didn't hire CCM....now if you're referring to a post-CM era...well, that's in a future galaxy.  Just like the JL/BB era, these new HOGS will get...should get the same level of respect...don't you think?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 12:38:34 am
Do you see how the snowflake thing works both ways?
Nope, not a snowflake here, I just think that is a lazy dig on another person.  When I dig on someone, I put in a little effort

hassettsportsman

This is a classic case of History(JFB era) versus Technology(Instant gratification generation)...most people here have no concept of what Hog success really stems from...much less having an appreciation of tradition. 

Phil D

Quote from: Wayne Watson on December 05, 2017, 08:05:11 pm
It's very simple.  2/3 of the people here are stupid.  They don't study sports and have no comprehension of a head coaching job or an AD job.  They don't worry about facts...just what they hear on the radio.  They don't do the homework so they spout off stupid opinions they believe to be fact.  SMH
Fact!!!
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Jonbo

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 09:58:03 pm
Ummmm....no.  It isn't about family and friends.   It's about winning football games. We just fired a guy for rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record only to replace him with a guy rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record. 

This was a DUMB hire considering the options available.  Does that mean I am abandoning the Hogs and not rooting for them to win em all?   Of course not...but to think that we did anything other than settle with this hire is ludicrous.   We can have our time to be angry that stupid people made a stupid hire...and then get behind the program. 

Count me as a Day 1 Darksider... This hire is going to haunt us.

I think most of you are moderately, at least, successful people. Why do you persist in ignoring context? The same ones who are keen to observe that Beilema's strong winning record at Wisky didn't mean what it looked like on its face, rant here about Morris's losing record and refuse to acknowledge that he had SMU on an upward trajectory after having taken them over when they were completely in the toilet, a team at an Ivy League quality school academically, with all the attendant recruiting difficulties that that implies.

Jonbo

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 05, 2017, 10:36:42 pm
There's no objectivity on this board.  We could have hired a head of lettuce as HC, and most of the posters here would talk about how great it is to have a coach and to give the head of lettuce a chance.

Oh wait, that's happening now.

Morris has quite a résumé and you're calling him a non-entity. Brilliant!

longpig

Losing for 6 years really messes you up.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Cylinder on December 07, 2017, 12:37:55 am
You know what ? I say screw my brother and those $20 work boots he brought over in his $70K truck. Piss on him. I'm not bitter.

OK -- I keed.

My opinion is they are doing what many fans -- including me -- were  clamoring for in making up for the talent deficit with a scheme built around the skill positions and exploiting schemes. Only time will tell if Morris can put it all together. The good news is that the results won't be inconclusive. Either he will or he won't.

Bowl eligible Year 1.
10 wins within 5 years with bowl eligibility each year and at one season with a shot at a NY6.

CM and his child assistants will make Arkansas the Texas Tech of the SEC.
Don't be scared, be smart.

southarkhog06

Ya know, I was super pissed about this hire when the news popped up on my phone, but after a few hours of stewing I decided I would give him a chance.

Now, after a couple days reading the crap some of you are spewing on here, I am firmly in his camp.

Is it petty that a big motivation for me supporting a head coach is so that a group of usual suspects are forced to either eat crow or disappear? Probably, but I am ok with that.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 07, 2017, 02:53:21 am
Ya know, I was super pissed about this hire when the news popped up on my phone, but after a few hours of stewing I decided I would give him a chance.

Now, after a couple days reading the crap some of you are spewing on here, I am firmly in his camp.

Is it petty that a big motivation for me supporting a head coach is so that a group of usual suspects are forced to either eat crow or disappear? Probably, but I am ok with that.

Yep. Hopefully looks something like this.

This is my non-signature signature.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 02:57:58 am
Yep. Hopefully looks something like this.

....... OK. I see the VA is prescribing you the good stuff again...  ;D.

EDIT: I am not sure if you are saying you hope CCM is like a boulder running over the haters, or that you hope I end up on a wacky East Asian game show.

Either way, I cant stop laughing at this GIF...

goodguytex

December 07, 2017, 03:46:03 am #126 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:56:14 am by goodguytex
I am very wary of this hire, very much not getting good vibes about the direction of the ptb of our university. However, that's not CCM fault. By all indications, he's a promising HC trying to better himself and his career.

I'm of the opinion all of us, even those of us not on board with what's been happening, need to just sit back, watch, and support what CCM does with the program. He's our HC. Let's not fight among ourselves here. We all need to get behind our Hogs.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 07, 2017, 03:22:58 am
....... OK. I see the VA is prescribing you the good stuff again...  ;D.

EDIT: I am not sure if you are saying you hope CCM is like a boulder running over the haters, or that you hope I end up on a wacky East Asian game show.

Either way, I cant stop laughing at this GIF...

Meh.

Never been on any heavy stuff. I have Tricare so I don't use the VA for anything. :)

However, most of the crazies will be back around soon. If not, they'll be

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: goodguytex on December 07, 2017, 03:46:03 am
I am very wary of this hire, very much not getting good vibes about the direction of the ptb of our university. However, that's not CCM fault. By all indications, he's a promising HC trying to better himself and his career.

I'm of the opinion all of us, even those of us not on board with what's been happening, need to just sit back, watch, and support what CCM does with the program. He's our HC. Let's not fight among ourselves here. We all need to get behind our Hogs.

The last big name that an AD actually went out and scored as a HC was Holtz. Since then it has been:

Hatfield-Came from Air Force where he had a 10-2 record in the WAC. Used the fad system of the time, the triple-option. He was really good at calling it and getting good performance from his defense.

Crowe-Not gonna go there

Kines-Did what he had to after Crowe was fired

Ford-Well known name, but burnt out.

Nutt-Coming from a historically terrible program at Boise with a 4-7 (5-6) record.

Petrino-Sent to us by Jerrah and Sexton, signed by Long.  Not really applicable for an actual coaching search.

Smile- Not gonna go there

Bielema- We all get it. Highly successful at Wisconsin. Didn't work here for multiple reasons.

So since Holtz, the best two coaches we've had was Hatfield and Nutt. Hatfield had the highest winning percentage in school history and Nutt is second in career wins at Arkansas to Broyles. They both came from small schools, one with a mediocre record and one with a good record.

Morris could be a winner here. Nobody knows how it's gonna turn out.

Pork Twain

Hogville used to be 75% solid info and discussions but since the inmates took over, it is only about 25% solid info and discussion.

rlamb

Not a psychic, but just looking back at our history, I can predict, Morris having a pretty high scoring
offense to begin with as we do have around 9 starters coming back here on O and some speed.

Defensively, history shows these type offensive schemes produce sorry defenses. How could ours
get any worse though? How about no better defenses will still produce only 6-7 win seasons and small
time Bowls. The PTB/GOBN have made a disastrous choice at a very critical time! Kiffin would have
been the best choice now.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 04:34:13 am
Hogville used to be 75% solid info and discussions but since the inmates took over, it is only about 25% solid info and discussion.

yup.

Arkansas hasn't made big-name hires but twice. Holtz and Bielema. Petrino could be considered a big name, but he was just looking for a college job to get away from the Falcons and we kinda lucked into him.

Everyone else was a value-based hire. Up and comers (except for Ford).

It's just what we get here. Hopefully he is successful.

Torqued pork

Hogville must be the only message board with differing opinions.  It's deplorable.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 07, 2017, 04:46:35 am
Hogville must be the only message board with differing opinions.  It's deplorable.
I have been a member of many and this is in fact one of the few I have been a part of that is really nothing more than a majority of people complaining about everything anymore.  They have gotten to the point that they drown out any quality discussions.

dpetty121263

I am pretty sure if Jesus Christ were named HC of the Razorbacks there would be the naysayers even after he walked on water.. Think it's today's culture we fine ourselves..

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: dpetty121263 on December 07, 2017, 05:31:12 am
I am pretty sure if Jesus Christ were named HC of the Razorbacks there would be the naysayers even after he walked on water.. Think it's today's culture we fine ourselves..

We should hire the Jesus lizard and see.

Augustus

It's very simple.  2/3 of the people here are stupid.  They don't study sports and have no comprehension of a head coaching job or an AD job.  They don't worry about facts...just what they hear on the radio.  They don't do the homework so they spout off stupid opinions they believe to be fact.  SMH

Half of Arkansas fans:

"Wait who did we hire!?! Terrible! No more support!"

*Does 3 minutes of research*

"Actually after checking him out, I like this guy."

Mellon Collie

Quote from: dpetty121263 on December 07, 2017, 05:31:12 am

that's just silly. jesus is dead.

Jonbo

hoghearted

If Jerrah sent us Petrino, and now Morris, that's actually encouraging.

My initial reaction was 'ugh', but he's grown on me. I am cautiously optimistic about the future.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ifghog

I am not sure you could possibly more wrong...wow. there were several interviewed.  Morris is gonna be a good hire and....nothing could make us firing BB look stupid. He had to go regardless who we got.

Redhogs

Quote from: Cylinder on December 07, 2017, 12:37:55 am

OK -- I keed.

Bowl eligible Year 1.

Agreed...very reasonable expectations if we are going to be an SEC team.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hassettsportsman

Ok...so I get why HCCM is bringing many of his Offensive crew...it will be quite interesting who rolls the dice as the new Hog DC and joins the party.  Of course, a big pay day will play a part in that...what other factors could lure a good catch?

mhuff

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 12:17:26 am
His name is BERT.  He's always been BERT.  He'll always be Bert.

Obviously a troll. Get rid of all of them.

goodguytex

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 04:14:51 am
The last big name that an AD actually went out and scored as a HC was Holtz. Since then it has been:

Hatfield-Came from Air Force where he had a 10-2 record in the WAC. Used the fad system of the time, the triple-option. He was really good at calling it and getting good performance from his defense.

Crowe-Not gonna go there

Kines-Did what he had to after Crowe was fired

Ford-Well known name, but burnt out.

Nutt-Coming from a historically terrible program at Boise with a 4-7 (5-6) record.

Petrino-Sent to us by Jerrah and Sexton, signed by Long.  Not really applicable for an actual coaching search.

Smile- Not gonna go there

Bielema- We all get it. Highly successful at Wisconsin. Didn't work here for multiple reasons.

So since Holtz, the best two coaches we've had was Hatfield and Nutt. Hatfield had the highest winning percentage in school history and Nutt is second in career wins at Arkansas to Broyles. They both came from small schools, one with a mediocre record and one with a good record.

Morris could be a winner here. Nobody knows how it's gonna turn out.
Grober... My reasons for being wary of the hiring of CCM has nothing to do with his name or previous record. And I'll leave it at that.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Augustus on December 07, 2017, 06:19:32 am
Half of Arkansas fans:

"Wait who did we hire!?! Terrible! No more support!"

*Does 3 minutes of research*

"Actually after checking him out, I like this guy."
Sums it up perfectly. How many here have said the same thing: "I was super mad when the hire was announced and always wanted Norvell but now that I have spent 10 minutes looking into Morris, I like him. Good hire!" These guys were saying it would be the end of Ark football and/or they would drop their season tickets and/or they were done with Razorbacks forever.

Blowing with the wind in the internet age is no way to go through life. And these half dozen or so posters here who claim all of these connections and inside contacts who are NEVER right get this group riled up over fantasy stuff. When anyone like me comes along and uses available public info to draw likely conclusions it is, "STFU. Not going to happen. You have no clue. You need to delete your account." So many lemmings and other moronic types here it is shocking. But, i guess that is reflective of the US population.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 07, 2017, 04:34:13 am

But it's much more enjoyable now than it used to be.  It was boring back then.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hogsanity

What has become almost unbearable is the constant barrage of  the UofA does not care " " the UofA does not want to win" " the UofA loves mediocrity " You lemmings will buy anything the school does " etc posts.

Not every decision the school akes is about making you, me or anyone else happy as an individual.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: The Chief on December 06, 2017, 07:08:04 am
I disagree with this hire because we were willing to shell out millions of dollars to get Gus "Dream Job" Malzahn. So,  if we had the money and were willing to spend, why could we not land a home run coach instead of a "he might be a good hire" coach?

It's really simple. There is a group of people on the Hill that were seriously obsessed with getting Gus Malzahn to the point that they were not going to allow anyone to stand in their way of pulling out all stops to get him. While they were going after Gus, no other coach was allowed to be considered. When that fell through, the Gus supporters decided that they would go after the next best thing which is a Gus clone and they refused to be deterred. Even though Kiffin and Leach were given token interviews, they were never seriously considered because they didn't meet the Gus supporters criteria. Norvell, who refused to consider any other job opening because he wanted the Arkansas job badly, was never given any consideration. They were fixated on Chad Morris for obvious reasons and Gus's strong recommendation of him was the icing on the cake so he was hired.
                     When the hire was first announced, I was very disappointed with it and yes, I was angry about it. However, the more I read about Chad, listened to him talk, and watched videos of this year's SMU offense, the more this guy starts to grow on me. If Chad can bring in a top notch DC and defensive staff to go with his offense, Arkansas MAY have just stumbled on to a diamond in the rough.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

I agree folks had a hard time believing Coach Morris was a all star Texas HS Coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.