Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville turning on itself....

Started by hassettsportsman, December 05, 2017, 07:55:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 05, 2017, 08:13:22 pm

SMU slightly improved. Ok. He is a great guy. Ok. He saved Clemson...ok.

how is 7 - 5 slightly improved from 1 -11?

He is a underwhelming, boring hire. That IMO will bore recruits. Make other schools in the SEC breath a little easier.

what is boring about him?  were Scott Frost and Mike Norvell boring as well?  is scoring a lot of points in an innovative offense boring?  Do you think a coach who went 169 - 38 in 16 seasons of TX High School football, including back to back 16 - 0 seasons, who then spent 8 seasons in college football, doomed to fail?

He might.  I don't love the hire.  But I like the hire.  I'll give him the chance.  To me the only question is can he recruit...to Arkansas?  Only one way to find out.

Sooiepride

It is significant that Clemson was chomping at the bit to keep the man on their staff when he left.  He runs a high octane offense - #13 in total offense and #8 in scoring average.  Sounds like fun to me.

Get a good DC and we are sittin' pretty.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 05, 2017, 09:34:47 pm
how is 7 - 5 slightly improved from 1 -11?

what is boring about him?  were Scott Frost and Mike Norvell boring as well?  is scoring a lot of points in an innovative offense boring?  Do you think a coach who went 169 - 38 in 16 seasons of TX High School football, including back to back 16 - 0 seasons, who then spent 8 seasons in college football, doomed to fail?

He might.  I don't love the hire.  But I like the hire.  I'll give him the chance.  To me the only question is can he recruit...to Arkansas?  Only one way to find out.

That was going to be a question for ANY coach we hired, and at some point, reality may slap some folks in the face that in today's landscape, we will need to find a way to compete with recruiting classes that are outside the top 20, and maybe closer to 30 now that we have a coach that doesn't have a proven record of sending guys to the NFL. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hog.goblin

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 05, 2017, 08:51:05 pm
We have endured the last 6 years so that we could get a coach with at 12-22 record??? 

that coach that just made us endure those 6 years...what was his record prior to coming here?

no one has to like the hire.  everyone should have some hope that there's a chance of success.  to be angry, disgusted, etc., is just irrational.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hoping for a great DC to be announced

swineology

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 05, 2017, 08:13:05 pm
I wasn't on when BB was hired...i'm assuming the ire was similar though.  We've made a change and that's good and with a good DC that will be even better!

I was, he came to Arkansas with a 68-24 record

EastexHawg

It would be interesting to know how many of the same people who are telling the rest of us how stupid we are for being disgusted with the Morris hire were also telling us a couple of years ago how stupid we were for not being able to see that Bielema was building something special and doing it the right way.

c-townfan

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 05, 2017, 09:19:13 pm
What makes you so sure that this is a bad hire?

As it stands today, it's a terrible hire. And he's going to have to overcome a lot more because this is further fracturing our fan base. It's already hard enough to win here. So I think it's bad because it causes more division and I don't think he's the right man for the job.

Also, I'm a big cowboys fan but we all know Jerry Jones is not a very good evaluator of talent. He's good at getting deals done and being innovative but not good at evaluating talent. So the powers that be shouldn't be so persuaded by what he has to say on a coach. And that is A LOT of the reason he is being hired.

Also, I know recruiting rankings are not completely indicative of how good a team will be but there is a VERY strong correlation. SMU recruiting rankings in the weak American Athletic Conference under Morris are the following:

2015- 6th
2016- 7th
2017- 7th
2018- 5th

Not a single 4 Star. That won't get it done here. He's SUCH a good recruiter in Texas they say... well not much proof.

HawgWyld

Quote from: arlhog on December 05, 2017, 08:01:31 pm
There is no one coach that would have made everyone happy...

That is the absolute truth. I can't say Chad Morris was my first pick, but he might work out just fine. He's got to be an improvement over the guy the UA just canned, at least...

The Kig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 05, 2017, 07:55:55 pm
I'm really disappointed with the venom here.  If CM is our coach, let's get behind him.  He wouldn't have been my choice.  The negativity here in Hogville is really bothersome.  It's like a bunch spoiled brats who aren't satisfied with their X-mas gifts.  Isn't it about family and friends!  I don't think there's any choice that would have satisfied most of us here.  For you angry posters....I hope you don't beat your dogs...or worse.   

Ummmm....no.  It isn't about family and friends.   It's about winning football games. We just fired a guy for rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record only to replace him with a guy rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record. 

This was a DUMB hire considering the options available.  Does that mean I am abandoning the Hogs and not rooting for them to win em all?   Of course not...but to think that we did anything other than settle with this hire is ludicrous.   We can have our time to be angry that stupid people made a stupid hire...and then get behind the program. 

Count me as a Day 1 Darksider... This hire is going to haunt us.

Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 05, 2017, 09:49:16 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic and hoping for a great DC to be announced

Based on what?  How many of these clowns running these rinky dink offenses attract good DC's?  Very few... There is a reason.
Poker Porker

Sooiepride

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 10:01:08 pm
How many of these clowns running these rinky dink offenses attract good DC's?

The rinky dink offense that our new coach runs attracted Venables to Clemson.

The Kig

Quote from: Sooiepride on December 05, 2017, 10:04:02 pm
The rinky dink offense that our new coach runs attracted Venables to Clemson.

Ummmm, no it didn't.  He came for Dabo...a Bama pedigreed Bear Bryant coach.  Not for Shaddd
Poker Porker

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 10:01:08 pm
Based on what?  How many of these clowns running these rinky dink offenses attract good DC's?  Very few... There is a reason.

my hope is based on cold, hard, cash, something we should some extra of by not paying $6M a year to Gus Bus

The Kig

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 05, 2017, 10:11:08 pm
my hope is based on cold, hard, cash, something we should some extra of by not paying $6M a year to Gus Bus

Hope you're right...money talks.  Chavis is probably looking for work.  Since Morris is an A&M guy, maybe he can bring him in...
Poker Porker

BR

Quote from: Wayne Watson on December 05, 2017, 08:05:11 pm
It's very simple.  2/3 of the people here are stupid.  They don't study sports and have no comprehension of a head coaching job or an AD job.  They don't worry about facts...just what they hear on the radio.  They don't do the homework so they spout off stupid opinions they believe to be fact.  SMH
yep
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Sooiepride

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 10:13:09 pm
Hope you're right...money talks.  Chavis is probably looking for work.  Since Morris is an A&M guy, maybe he can bring him in...

I'd personally prefer Venables, but that's interesting.

Aeschere

Why is anyone surprised with Hogville's collective piss-poor reaction? This is what Hogville is all about.

The Kig

Quote from: Sooiepride on December 05, 2017, 10:18:48 pm
I'd personally prefer Venables, but that's interesting.

I don't get why people think we could bring a guy in to interview for a HC job, not hire him, and then convince him to take a considerable step down for the same title.  Someone with/without a brain explain that to me?
Poker Porker

HognotinMemphis

It's very simple.  2/3 of the people here are stupid.  They don't study sports and have no comprehension of a head coaching job or an AD job.  They don't worry about facts...just what they hear on the radio.  They don't do the homework so they spout off stupid opinions they believe to be fact.  SMH
Bingo. And 2/3's is being generous.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Aeschere

This post should be a permanent disclaimer in this forum in particular.

urkillnmesmalls

Same message board that CLAMORED for Gus to come to the UA STRAIGHT FROM HIGH SCHOOL to be the OC under HDN.  Isn't that correct?  Does it get anymore unproven than that? 

Forget the trend that Morris established at SMU, or the admiration he received during his time at Clemson.  Let's look JUST at his record as a High School coach.  EVERY BIT as good as Malzahn, but probably gets the nod for being better with two undefeated seasons with SC's, and he did that in TEXAS.

Yes OC is not the same as a HC, but it's a pretty prominent position, and I don't see any reason not to see him as a proven winner, and deserving of a chance.  Gang...it didn't matter who we were going to hire minus Malzahn...it was going to be a risky hire for one reason or another.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 05, 2017, 09:33:25 pm
The one persistent fact I've noticed is that the vast majority of those posting in favor of Mr. Morris rationalize their support not on any objective measure of the coach but rather on attacking those who hold different views.

That is a strategy that carries with it the seeds of its own failure.

While I don't expect any more of Chad Morris than what his record shows I might have been inclined to give him some time to prove himself.

However as I suspect to continue to hear his supporters do nothing but attack those who don't support him I am confident I will find this too distracting to give him an objective evaluation.

Congratulations.

There's no objectivity on this board.  We could have hired a head of lettuce as HC, and most of the posters here would talk about how great it is to have a coach and to give the head of lettuce a chance.

Oh wait, that's happening now.

hassettsportsman

Won't CM be the OC as well as HC?  Then we could afford a pricy DC...BV..not that he'll come...but maybe

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 05, 2017, 10:36:42 pm
There's no objectivity on this board.  We could have hired a head of lettuce as HC, and most of the posters here would talk about how great it is to have a coach and to give the head of lettuce a chance.

Oh wait, that's happening now.

Or, we could just amp up the absurdity and I could pitch a fit that we didn't get Saban.  I bet we didn't even offer him.  Maybe he wanted to come here to win a NC with a third school and ensure his name would be in the history books forever. 

Did you think there was a line of proven P5 coaches lined up at the door? 

Kiffin...give me a break, he was gone at the first big P5 offer. 

Venables...probably would do well, but doesn't even have HC experience, and heaven forbid he focus on defense and our offense wasn't high octane...the fan base and Hogville would implode. 

Norvell  -  There's apparently something seedy about his past that has kept him from getting an offer from ANY of the schools with vacancies.  Yet on Hogville, no one is concerned about a repeat of the CBP incident and the associated fallout. 

I can keep going if you would like.  Point being...there was going to be risk with anyone on the list that the UA felt we could get for what they were willing to pay.  You don't think they opened up their checkbooks enough...whip yours out. 

Uberanubis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 05, 2017, 09:27:38 pm
Oh...it was, just like it ALWAYS is on every hire.  I was pedestrian with my displeasure of the BB hire, and wanted Malzahn.  I said some unflattering things, and got a few days to think about it.  But...I still gave BB a chance, because that's what you have to do as a Hog fan. 

To the people who may think not showing up to the games next season will send a message, like they did to get rid of BB, that's not going to happen.  What it will do though, is make us look like the most pathetic fan base in the history of college sports, because he deserves a chance.  HE'S COMING HERE TO WIN GAMES AND GIVE IT HIS ALL, AND SO ARE THE PLAYERS. 

If you're pissy about the PTB who hired him...that's fine, but as fans, we NEED to show up and support this team.  If not...our next hire will be someone straight from an Arkansas High School team. 

yup and the same coudl be said about BB. he came here to win games and gave it his all. no one knows any thing until the ink dries each season and we see what we got. right now we got a turd sandwich, lets see if it stays that way.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 09:58:03 pm
Ummmm....no.  It isn't about family and friends.   It's about winning football games. We just fired a guy for rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record only to replace him with a guy rebuilding and resulting in a crappy record. 

This was a DUMB hire considering the options available.  Does that mean I am abandoning the Hogs and not rooting for them to win em all?   Of course not...but to think that we did anything other than settle with this hire is ludicrous.   We can have our time to be angry that stupid people made a stupid hire...and then get behind the program. 

Count me as a Day 1 Darksider... This hire is going to haunt us.

My sentiments exactly.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

LawyerHog50

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 05, 2017, 10:43:45 pm
Or, we could just amp up the absurdity and I could pitch a fit that we didn't get Saban.  I bet we didn't even offer him.  Maybe he wanted to come here to win a NC with a third school and ensure his name would be in the history books forever. 

Did you think there was a line of proven P5 coaches lined up at the door? 

Kiffin...give me a break, he was gone at the first big P5 offer. 

Venables...probably would do well, but doesn't even have HC experience, and heaven forbid he focus on defense and our offense wasn't high octane...the fan base and Hogville would implode. 

Norvell  -  There's apparently something seedy about his past that has kept him from getting an offer from ANY of the schools with vacancies.  Yet on Hogville, no one is concerned about a repeat of the CBP incident and the associated fallout. 

I can keep going if you would like.  Point being...there was going to be risk with anyone on the list that the UA felt we could get for what they were willing to pay.  You don't think they opened up their checkbooks enough...whip yours out.

Even just an unproven assistant would have been better and given us a glimmer of hope. Plenty of those everywhere.

This guy is a proven loser.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Hogimus Prime

It's sad how both sides are.   Maybe time to leave here for awhile

Boarme

Quote from: atekido on December 05, 2017, 08:52:08 pm
Sadly there are some that will hope we do bad just so they can claim they were right about something.  Sad but true.
I think there are only a handful on H.V. that would do that.  If he wins the vast majority will be happy.  It is actually the ones that are saying everything will be great that you have to worry about when/if things go bad.   

RacinRazorback

This is my take on the whole mess, I guess he was the best we could do, I was hoping for a better known successful proven guy. His record in a way lesser conference concerns me. If Bret was in over his head in the SEC coming from Wiscy, only imagine coming from the AAC with SMU and bringing an overall losing recoerd and your best being 7-5?? Have we dropped so low we can no longer get a proven coach?? I wish CCM the best and hope he makes a big name for himself here by winning! Hopefully he gets GREAT coordinators for his staff. Did the program die when JFB passed?

Ragnar Hogbrok

I disagree with this hire because we were willing to shell out millions of dollars to get Gus "Dream Job" Malzahn. So,  if we had the money and were willing to spend, why could we not land a home run coach instead of a "he might be a good hire" coach?

I refuse to sing his praises simply because he is the coach.  He has to earn my support. I hope he does well, but I'm truly underwhelmed with the hire.

Am I part of that 2/3?  Because I'd put my wits and life time accomplishments up against you and the 1/3 of "smart" Hogville any day of the week.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 05, 2017, 08:50:41 pm

He checks off the boxes of:
1. High octane offensive mind.
2. Solid coaching tree.
3: Experience as a head coach.

4. Major Texas recruiting ties.

This is the key. We need better players and he is connected to the high schools in Texas.

East Clintwood

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 05, 2017, 08:13:05 pm
I wasn't on when BB was hired...i'm assuming the ire was similar though.  We've made a change and that's good and with a good DC that will be even better!

No, most everyone drank the Koolade  Jeffy served up.  And if you didn't show the proper reverence to Bert, the mob posters and the mods made sure you shut up about it.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hassettsportsman

Given the departures of JL/BB, do the new changes justify the NEZ expansion?  Who does that really serve...or protect?  How will this impact our new AD/HC?  Could the large pot of gold been used in a better way?  Clearly, I have a lot of questions for those here with more to share?  BTW, Happy Holidays to all!

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 06, 2017, 07:24:07 am

No, most everyone drank the Koolade  Jeffy served up.  And if you didn't show the proper reverence to Bert, the mob posters and the mods made sure you shut up about it.

The day Bert was hired I exhaled and felt like the Administration had given up.  We were just going to have a program and if we win with that program so much the better. 

I feel close to that way now, only worse.  We were offering fat stacks of cash, and we either didn't want established P5 coaches or established P5 coaches didn't want to take our money. 

The only thing I want - and I would imagine a lot of other Razorback fans want - is to be excited and energized about developments within the program with none larger than the hiring of a new HC.  How can we feel that with a third tier coach?

BigSexyHog

The ones crying need to take more midol.  I have never seen so many [CENSORED] hurting so bad in my life.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: supersaint on December 05, 2017, 08:27:43 pm
RLWOLFEMAN is drunker tonight than he was when he went to Drake Field and peed on the fence.
im too hung over...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

oldhawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 05, 2017, 09:27:38 pm
Oh...it was, just like it ALWAYS is on every hire.  I was pedestrian with my displeasure of the BB hire, and wanted Malzahn.  I said some unflattering things, and got a few days to think about it.  But...I still gave BB a chance, because that's what you have to do as a Hog fan. 

To the people who may think not showing up to the games next season will send a message, like they did to get rid of BB, that's not going to happen.  What it will do though, is make us look like the most pathetic fan base in the history of college sports, because he deserves a chance.  HE'S COMING HERE TO WIN GAMES AND GIVE IT HIS ALL, AND SO ARE THE PLAYERS. 

If you're pissy about the PTB who hired him...that's fine, but as fans, we NEED to show up and support this team.  If not...our next hire will be someone straight from an Arkansas High School team. 

There is a bit of wisdom in these words, whether you intended it or not.  :)

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 06, 2017, 06:52:56 am
Even just an unproven assistant would have been better and given us a glimmer of hope. Plenty of those everywhere.

This guy is a proven loser.

Nope, not going to stoop to this level.  If you think that, then you did zero research, and I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone who is that ill informed.   

SpareRib

Wayne, it doesn't take effort, curiosity, manners or even common respect to be an internet assassin ... just a keyboard and a sixpack.  This site has changed. Having to wade thru nine miles of tripe to find informed opinions from posters I respect is really tiresome.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

hobhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 05, 2017, 08:19:41 pm
Amazing how many people buy into the gobn. Taken for fools again.

They should listen to posters on message boards. They know everything....

snoblind

Quote from: The Kig on December 05, 2017, 10:13:09 pm

3rd and Chavis?

hogsanity

Quote from: SpareRib on December 06, 2017, 10:38:03 pm
Wayne, it doesn't take effort, curiosity, manners or even common respect to be an internet assassin ... just a keyboard and a sixpack.  This site has changed. Having to wade thru nine miles of tripe to find informed opinions from posters I respect is really tiresome.

The worst part of the last two weeks has been all these low count poster with accounts created years ago, some over a decade, but they have not posted in years or in some cases ever until the last few weeks. And they always post in an antagonizing manner. I find it quite implausible that people took the time to set up an account, did not use it for years,  then decided to jump in to tell us how bad Morris is or what a risk Kiffin would be or that Norvell is either a perfect fit or couldn't pass the vetting.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Batman

2/3??    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

hobhog

Maybe there should be a darksider forum they can get banned to after the 20th post saying the same thing over and over. 24 hour timeout amongst their fellow haters. I'd probably get sent there during basketball season a few times.

moses_007

The radio LOVES this hire as much as Gus does. If people went by what sports radio in Arkansas is saying we would all be in love with the hire. Bottom line is people saw the other options. All those options in most people's opinions were better choices and the rumor is none of them were interviewed besides Leach.

Time will tell and the truth will come out. In the meantime it is very reasonable to be concerned that a guy with a losing record trying to escape from the sinking ship that is SMU is now our head coach.

After we paid millions to get rid of long and bret. We bring in a guy with a worse record in a worse conference.

SMU slightly improved. Ok. He is a great guy. Ok. He saved Clemson...ok.

He is a underwhelming, boring hire. That IMO will bore recruits. Make other schools in the SEC breath a little easier.

And in hindsight makes firing Bret look like a huge mistake.
Have you studied Morris' past coaching stops, and looked at his wins and losses?  Evidently you are unaware that he's won three Texas high school football championships at two different Texas high schools.  I guess you also don't know that Dabo Swinney turned his entire offense over to Morris after Morris had just one year as offensive coordinator at Tulsa?

Do your homework, listen to his interview on the plane from Dallas to Fayetteville today, and you may just change your tune.

I was most disappointed yesterday too, but like you, I knew nothing about Morris' past coaching stops.  I got to reading, and whoa, I'm impressed with him.

jvanhorn

Oh just like when they turn political and go to vote.

hogboarder

After spending some time reading up on him and watching some videos, I'm actually good with the hire. I wish him the best. I'm very glad to see the players are excited.

Billy Bats

There's nothing new under the sun.  This happens every time we get a new coach. 

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 05, 2017, 08:02:19 pm
Give them a couple days to calm down. By the start of the season next year, everyone will be on board.

However, On here they will still be negative Nancy for a long time. Trust me I know them already.