Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Kirk states that he heard that Venables is in fact coming to Arkansas as DC

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogs

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 07, 2017, 05:56:43 am
I have no idea who the DC will be, but in the team meeting, Coach Morris told the guys, "I've got the best DC in the country coming".  Not, "I'm going to go find", "not we're trying to get".  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That's sure sounds like it would be venables. However, I would expect every coach to say that about any dc he's bringing in.

mj4president

Maybe that's why there was so much smoke regarding Brent as far as head coach? Maybe all the interviews etc were for the DC job and talking pay with his agent.

I still think it's a pipe dream.

I'm just pumped about landed Eric Taylor from TMU!
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Ā 

Boarsnest

I don't see CBV coming but if he and CCM have had a close working relationship in the past it might work out. If this is truly a possibility, make CBV the highest paid assistant in the country with head coach type pay. CBV may want a new challenge. I have changed territories several times with my company. I had much rather take a territory that is at the bottom and turn it around verses taking over one that is on top. I like the challenge plus it is easier sometimes to turn around a territory. The pressure is greater to keep market share on a maxed out territory. The rewards and recognition are greater when you turn things around in a poor market share area.

I'm not saying that CBV will come but for the right money and the chance to turn around a program, this just might be what motivates him.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 07, 2017, 05:56:43 am
I have no idea who the DC will be, but in the team meeting, Coach Morris told the guys, “I’ve got the best DC in the country coming”.  Not, “I’m going to go find”, “not we’re trying to get”.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I like the sound of this.  What else can you tell us?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: tusked on December 06, 2017, 10:35:43 pm
This Vebanbles thing is the fakest of all the fake news around this coaching search.

Its not going to happen.   It's a red herring for fans to chase.  After a month someone that's B- level hire will be announced on a Friday at 5:00.  No Grantham, Pruitt,  Aranda, Steele, Chavis, Chisik, is walking through that door.

Sure would be nice if a few assistants with NC rings could be hired into the program.

On the one hand you say it sure would be nice to get a few assistants with NC rings into the program, and on the other you say there's no way the one that's been identified will consider it.

It sounds to me like you want Morris to fail.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 07, 2017, 09:01:40 am
On the one hand you say it sure would be nice to get a few assistants with NC rings into the program, and on the other you say there's no way the one that's been identified will consider it.

ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hawgball40

Otis Kirk is a known liar and darn stirrer. he's like a more established version of Eric Bolin.

idochog

I love Jesus!

King Kong

Quote from: idochog on December 07, 2017, 08:49:53 pm
Otis Kirk is Fake News

While I agree. It was football scoop that reported Venable would be Morris first target.

And Otis did say he found it hard to believe

hawgXi

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2017, 05:33:17 pm
We are just getting Brent a nice raise at Clempson.....

Check clemson 2018 verbals for LB jake venables & then ask yourself where pops will be coarching next year

Holmes501

Quote from: hawgXi on December 07, 2017, 08:52:10 pm
Check clemson 2018 verbals for LB jake venables & then ask yourself where pops will be coarching next year

but maybe is son comes to AR...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawgXi on December 07, 2017, 08:52:10 pm

If he was enrolled completely different story. But a verbal commitment come on.

If Venables truly wanted to come his kid could switch his commitment

That being said its very unlikely Venables comes for much better reasons than a verbal commitment

Ā 

colbs

CCM said their base will be a odd from but will run multiple formations.  I'm pretty sure BV runs a 4-3.  I do not think of him as one of the top defensive minds let alone the best but Todd Graham runs multiple fronts.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. 

AstroHawg

Paul

Quote from: Lanlord on December 05, 2017, 05:39:22 pm
When did anyone start listening to Otis?  He knows less than I do.
much less.  he's defied all odds by being wrong every time he says anything

Supermark101

Quote from: LRHawg on December 05, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
This makes 0 sense for Venebles career. Lateral move to AR???

Arguably a step back, but so was moving from OU to Clemson at the time. Morris was the one who convenienced him to make the move to Clemson. Apparently they are very close.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: root_hawg on December 05, 2017, 05:35:30 pm
Why would you leave Clemson to come to Ark for a lateral move???? ???
Who considers Clemson to Arkansas lateral?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ChitownHawg

S-E-C

Not saying I believe it. Yet money and compete against the best each Saturday is an enticement for highly competitive people.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

husker71

Walter Cronkite may be his nickname on Laker boards but here in the Philippines he is known as "Big Daddy from Cincinnati"

hogfanny

CCM statement that he would be assembling a staff over the next several weeks does give hope for somebody in the playoffs, but it will be an seemingly eternity of a wait for us....but worthwhile!!

jackflash

Hoggish1

Ā 

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogfanny on December 08, 2017, 06:10:23 am
CCM statement that he would be assembling a staff over the next several weeks does give hope for somebody in the playoffs, but it will be an seemingly eternity of a wait for us....but worthwhile!!
or it could just be the reality that it takes time to find, vet, interview, hire a whole staff.  All while recruiting and establishing a new culture in the program.

eitherway, I hope its in place by feb.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Tusks

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 07, 2017, 09:01:40 am

How about instead of taking a bad swing at the highest paid DC in the country that's the defending NC maybe get a NC CB, or LB or DL coach or coaches and promote and bring them in.

FSU was just busted up how about some of their staff.  Or what about Chisik's defense when he won the NC, where are those guys.  Give a couple of guys a $400K raise and I bet they listen.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

I'm thinking there are a lot of things Otis hears..........................in his head.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OkieBack

Quote from: King Kong on December 07, 2017, 08:51:45 pm
While I agree. It was football scoop that reported Venable would be Morris first target.

And Otis did say he found it hard to believe

A Venables hire would push my interest in the Morris hire from about 70% up to 100%.  The worst part about Chad Morris is that he was Jerry's pick.  Just too close to the source for me and doesn't show allot of objectivity.  I've paid attention to Morris ever since he was at Tulsa and no doubt he can spark an offense and can recruit. 

But as I've mentioned before, I would think that Morris success rate at Arkansas will double if he can pull in a real and big time DC.  I'm not saying it has to be Venables, but it has to be close.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! Ā„420Ā„   Ā«roastin da bomb in fayettenamĀ» Purspirit Gang

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on December 08, 2017, 01:32:40 pm

FSU was just busted up how about some of their staff. 

Go for it.  Taggert is not hiring a bunch of 'em

hogfooey

If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

theFlyingHog

The real Hogules

Quote from: OkieBack on December 08, 2017, 01:39:26 pm
A Venables hire would push my interest in the Morris hire from about 70% up to 100%. The worst part about Chad Morris is that he was Jerry's pick.  Just too close to the source for me and doesn't show allot of objectivity. I've paid attention to Morris ever since he was at Tulsa and no doubt he can spark an offense and can recruit. 

But as I've mentioned before, I would think that Morris success rate at Arkansas will double if he can pull in a real and big time DC.  I'm not saying it has to be Venables, but it has to be close.

That's exactly how I felt!
What's convinced me to give him a chance was when TDP gave his endorsement of coach Morris.
I always thought TDP was an awesome A.D. and had hoped that at some point he would return to Arkansas an retire as our A.D.=
The DC hire is crucial and I hope coach Morris knocks it out of the park..........., and soon.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

redneckfriend

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 08, 2017, 01:51:14 pm
The lateral means DC to DC. As in, not moving up to HC

To be precise in the directional sense I would call that a steeply slanted downward move. "Lateral" does not really convey how bizarre it would be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 08, 2017, 01:57:40 pm
To be precise in the directional sense I would call that a steeply slanted downward move. "Lateral" does not really convey how bizarre it would be.

Not as bizarre as you might think. Right now Clemson is one of the top teams of the college football world. That can change. About the only advantage they have is being closer to more top recruits. It is a nice place but there are other nice places. Was it bizarre when he left OU to go to Clemson? After all Clemson then wasn't the same as Clemson now. How about Jimbo going from FSU to TAMU. How many NC's has TAMU won lately yet Jimbo made the move.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 02:06:59 pm
Not as bizarre as you might think. Right now Clemson is one of the top teams of the college football world. That can change. About the only advantage they have is being closer to more top recruits. It is a nice place but there are other nice places. Was it bizarre when he left OU to go to Clemson? After all Clemson then wasn't the same as Clemson now. How about Jimbo going from FSU to TAMU. How many NC's has TAMU won lately yet Jimbo made the move.
it wasn't bizarre really since Stoops brought in his brother, which meant BV got pushed out and needed a spot to land.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogfooey on December 08, 2017, 01:48:28 pm
He was a co-dc at Clemson
word. i didnt mean it as a slight, i think he's an amazing coach. just didnt fit the "im bringing in the best defensive coordinator in college football" bit. But i trust coach on this (wow  i havent said that in about 6 years).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! Ā„420Ā„   Ā«roastin da bomb in fayettenamĀ» Purspirit Gang

Porkys Revenge

To take over a dumpster fire defense and make it respectable again, while earning millions and having a good time with your buddy while doing so.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 08, 2017, 02:11:22 pm
it wasn't bizarre really since Stoops brought in his brother, which meant BV got pushed out and needed a spot to land.

I know but on the surface at the time it looked like a step down one rung on the ladder.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2017, 06:08:26 am
It will be interesting to see who he thinks is the best DC in the country. Sounds like a deal has already been made.
He probably shouldn't have used that terminology.  Wouldn't you agree.

hogfooey

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 02:17:27 pm
word. i didnt mean it as a slight, i think he's an amazing coach. just didnt fit the "im bringing in the best defensive coordinator in college football" bit. But i trust coach on this (wow  i havent said that in about 6 years).
You're ok Poke, wasn't mean as slight.  Just pointing out some experience as DC was there.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Paul on December 07, 2017, 10:01:17 pm
  much less.  he's defied all odds by being wrong every time he says anything

That's gotta count as being accurate... Just use him for what not to believe...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Uncle Remus

Randy Rainwater said on DTS this afternoon that he has a source close to the situation that said as crazy as it sounds, Venables is coming to be the D coordinator.  Is this really a possibility?  Seems to be a lot of smoke about this.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackson_64

Quote from: Uncle Remus on December 08, 2017, 05:31:20 pm
Randy Rainwater said on DTS this afternoon that he has a source close to the situation that said as crazy as it sounds, Venables is coming to be the D coordinator.  Is this really a possibility?  Seems to be a lot of smoke about this.

Great, now it's really not going to happen. Would be nice though!
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

moses_007

Could be BV feels he needs to help bring another program up to Clemson's level.  And he want's to work with Morris again.

Stranger things have happened.

Dropkick

Vantage 8 dude

I most definitely would NOT put much faith in RR's prediction unless it comes directly from the person involved. And I seriously doubt that's the case here. However, I would LOVE to be proven wrong in this particular situation.

hog of steele

It seems nuts. It's as simple as that. I don't think there is a hog fan who wouldn't love it. But I think we are all in the mode of I will believe it when I see it.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977