Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Kirk states that he heard that Venables is in fact coming to Arkansas as DC

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: hawgette92 on December 05, 2017, 11:15:58 pm
Him and Chad Morris are friends...they worked together for a couple of years at Clemson.  But that is pretty much it, and the fact he bought his house doesn't forge some band of brothers bond.  Dabo is GREAT to his staff...his son plays HS football with Brent's son and Brent has said that it really doesn't matter what is going on the next day or who they are playing, him and Dabo go watch them play ball together with their families on Friday nights.  Dabo specifically allocates family time for his coaches. 

There is no way in hell Venables is leaving Clemson unless it is for the right HC job, and to this point he has been extremely picky as he has been interviewed for many jobs.  He's taking the Kirby Smart route and may be waiting for a specific job (I would guess K State).  With Snyder being 77 and battling cancer, he may not have to wait much longer. 

Venables is also extremely loyal to his bosses and has said he is not inclined to move jobs for money.  He was loyal to Stoops for years until Stoops screwed him and brought Mike back in as DC.  Many said Stoops was pushing Venables out to make room for Mark to have sole control of the defense, which is why he went to Clemson.

I agree. The only thing that IMO would push him this way is Clemson is a long way from Kansas.

At Arkansas he could live and recruit in the Midwest again, coach with a buddy and potential make 2.5 mill

Haters gonna hate

Quote from: SlickWilly on December 05, 2017, 05:31:44 pm
Otis Kirk is less credible than Wally.

The Venables rumor is just to make the underwhelming Morris hire seem exciting.

Truth

King Kong

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 05, 2017, 11:19:56 pm
It's all over Facebook and Twitter now too.  This is highly unlikely and was mostly put out to soothe our butt hurt over the hire.  The fact that we feed this long shot unlikely b.s. makes us look stupid nation wide.

We ain't feeding anything. Footballscoop reported. Pretty much everyone on this board has said it seems unlikely.

hawgette92

Quote from: King Kong on December 05, 2017, 11:24:00 pm
We ain't feeding anything. Footballscoop reported. Pretty much everyone on this board has said it seems unlikely.

Football Scoop got it from Otis Kirk.  All they do is regurgitate rumors.

hawgette92

Quote from: King Kong on December 05, 2017, 11:21:47 pm
I agree. The only thing that IMO would push him this way is Clemson is a long way from Kansas.

At Arkansas he could live and recruit in the Midwest again, coach with a buddy and potential make 2.5 mill

Clemson will pay him $2.5M if it comes down to money for him, I can promise you that. 

It probably won't even take that much to keep him at Clemson. 

Ask yourself this...if you had a son who was a 4* athlete, where would you want him playing....and be honest with yourself.  Clemson...who has had one of if not the most dominate defenses in the nation and is competing for championships year in and year out and pumping players into the NFL...or Arkansas, which is a complete dumpster fire right now? 

Clemson is the obvious answer when you put fandom aside and use common sense. 

beachhawg

beachhawg

Quote from: hawgette92 on December 05, 2017, 11:28:51 pm
Clemson will pay him $2.5M if it comes down to money for him, I can promise you that. 

Ask yourself this...if you had a son who was a 4* athlete, where would you want him playing....and be honest with yourself.  Clemson...who has had one of if not the most dominate defenses in the nation and is competing for championships year in and year out and pumping players into the NFL...or Arkansas, which is a complete dumpster fire right now? 

Sometimes it is about more than that.  Sometimes it is about proving you can be the best anywhere you go.  If you are the best, you want the best around you  including your kids.   Plus, heck of a lot closer to home and momma has to love that.  Just for safe measure, give him 2.75 and tell him we will see him 2 days after his last game

King Kong

Quote from: hawgette92 on December 05, 2017, 11:26:03 pm
Football Scoop got it from Otis Kirk.  All they do is regurgitate rumors.

Then how did Footballscoop reported before Kirk's post?

King Kong

What are arguing. I said the only reason he would come is location.

Use some common sense read what I write

HogPharmer

My only problem with everyone saying we are "closer to home" is that he could probably fly into Kansas and drive home faster than he could drive home from Fayetteville. It's not like NWA is his home.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2017, 11:08:58 pm
All things being equal, I am liking the Morris hire compared to Norvell and Gus.  All three are very similar in what they have been able to do. Difference is Texas ties and building something from the ground up are in Morris's favor.

...And a lot less money than the overpaid weasel would have taken from us.

" GO HOGS "

clew

About a 5 to 5.5 hour drive from Fayetteville to Salina. No TSA. Relatively good roads. I will never doubt there's a Santa again if this comes to pass.
Pure as the dawn

King Kong

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 05, 2017, 11:40:52 pm
My only problem with everyone saying we are "closer to home" is that he could probably fly into Kansas and drive home faster than he could drive home from Fayetteville. It's not like NWA is his home.

Shorter flight from NWA. Cheaper also

Listen I think Venables is unlikely. But that is the one thing we got

HogPharmer

Quote from: King Kong on December 05, 2017, 11:54:31 pm
Shorter flight from NWA. Cheaper also

Meh, $1.7M a year isn't worried about cheaper flights. Also, we're talking a difference of maybe an hour and a half in air. Probably less. Most of the "flight time" would be equal time spent prior to take off and after landing rather than time in the air.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Quote from: clew on December 05, 2017, 11:52:04 pm
About a 5 to 5.5 hour drive from Fayetteville to Salina. No TSA. Relatively good roads. I will never doubt there's a Santa again if this comes to pass.

Lol +1

Chief Mac

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 05, 2017, 06:18:50 pm
morris w/ k. briles and venables could work.

If true (and I doubt it is) it makes hiring Morris both palatable and the splash we need to make a statement that it's not business as usual at Arkansas.

Hiring Morris by himself is not moving the needle. It's hiring "Gus lite," settling for scraps and someone that some have suggested, Gus himself pushed. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 05, 2017, 11:08:58 pm
All things being equal, I am liking the Morris hire compared to Norvell and Gus.  All three are very similar in what they have been able to do.  Difference is Texas ties and building something from the ground up are in Morris's favor.

Did you really write those quotes in your signature that you attribute to yourself? Big, if true.

Brer Hog

Quote from: Redhogs on December 05, 2017, 08:35:06 pm
You are all suckers....we just got shafted and you idiots are begging for more. BV is not coming within 1500 miles of this clown show...wake up.

Sadly,  this is the best laugh I've had in years... literally 5 minutes continuously ... thanks!

hogginbama

Quote from: LRHawg on December 05, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
This makes 0 sense for Venebles career. Lateral move to AR???

Wouldn't be a lateral move, it would be a downward move at best. Ole BV must really love a challenge.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogginbama on December 06, 2017, 12:20:29 am
Wouldn't be a lateral move, it would be a downward move at best. Ole BV must really love a challenge.

Some people do.

Weird.
This is my non-signature signature.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: Redhogs on December 05, 2017, 08:35:06 pm
You are all suckers....we just got shafted and you idiots are begging for more. BV is not coming within 1500 miles of this clown show...wake up.
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Paulsooie

If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

redeye

All this repeated skepticism reeks of a loser mentality.  Everyone knows it seems far fetched for Venables to join Morris at Arkansas.  It's almost as crazy as Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HotlantaHog

Very very unlikely that Venables moves.

I believe his kid is an incoming recruit at Clemson.

Maybe his agent is trying to get a bigger check for him, which is fine. He deserves whatever a top coordinator can make.

It's also possible that Morris said something in the interview process or to others to the effect that if he were hired at Arkansas, his first call re defense coordinator would be to Venables. Imagine they are friends and he could give him advice on who to hire....

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 05, 2017, 11:56:47 pm
Meh, $1.7M a year isn't worried about cheaper flights. Also, we're talking a difference of maybe an hour and a half in air. Probably less. Most of the "flight time" would be equal time spent prior to take off and after landing rather than time in the air.

People with money made it sometimes by being frugal and always wanting things as low cost as possible. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoghiker

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hoghiker on December 06, 2017, 07:42:09 am
Not sure that would be a lateral.

I think he meant lateral in the sense that he would still be a DC instead of HC. Now while I will concede that this happening is probably beyond a longshot , I'd be willing to sweeten the pot a little , by volunteering to be the "get back guy" for free.

Tony Perkis

311Hog

Hog Pharm

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 311Hog on December 06, 2017, 08:40:20 am
im willing to wait a month to get Venables.
If Venables is willing to come, you wait 2 months if need be! That would take this from a "good" hire to a grand slam! But I just don't see it happening, and won't get my hopes up.

311Hog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 06, 2017, 08:44:35 am
If Venables is willing to come, you wait 2 months if need be! That would take this from a "good" hire to a grand slam! But I just don't see it happening, and won't get my hopes up.

i won't either.  This morning i sort of feel like we dodged a bullet with this hire. Once Gus said no i was scared to death we were about to go off the reservation.  Morris while not splashy hire and surely not a sure thing i feel like he is not "mimicing" the offense of someone else so he should be able to X and O really well, and he seems to have a legit way with HS coaches which can only be a good thing, factor in the possibility of Venables ? wow... just wow

shotgun7

I still just cant wrap my mind around it, but he sure did seem to be "at home" In little rock yesterday, and even with the quote about being loyal did not just flat shut down the idea. Depending on what we pay CM who is to say we couldn't offer him 3mil and co head coach. We were gonna spend 7 mil on gus afterall. I think it would for sure bring the excitement the CM hire is lacking.

GuvHog

Quote from: redeye on December 06, 2017, 02:52:30 am
All this repeated skepticism reeks of a loser mentality.  Everyone knows it seems far fetched for Venables to join Morris at Arkansas.  It's almost as crazy as Bielema leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas.

It isn't as far fetched as you think.

(A) Morris and Venables are very close friends.

(B) Venables wants to move back closer to home and family.

(C) He gets at least a Million dollar a year raise and the Assistant HC title.

I was very, very skeptical about the Chad Morris hire but if he pulls this off it will change my opinion. I really hope it happens.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TX HOG

Quote from: GuvHog on December 06, 2017, 09:23:58 am

I was very, very skeptical about the Chad Morris hire but if he pulls this off it will change my opinion. I really hope it happens.

He has mentioned he wants to move closer to family?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

naw, not all all. here he could be a star; there he'd be a bench warming white kid.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

word.

Occams Razorback

Arkansas ain't the Midwest
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

farmhawg

well that's the kiss of death, we won't see venables.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bob slydell

Clemson is a much better program now for sure.  But it is incorrect to state that Arkansas is a dumpster fire.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

holeinthewall

Just like Gus why would Veneables take a step down to come to Arkansas?

HogKong

FWIW, he made the move from being the DC at Oklahoma to the DC at Clemson at a time that Oklahoma was still the better job and team. I don't believe he will come here, but I'm saying his past shows that he has done it before. Clemson at the time didn't come off of a 1 Win conference record, but they were not the team they are today.

twistitup

I hope he comes here, but it would make zero sense. They were both coordinators and now one would come work for the other one? Why leave a proven, top notch program for a rebuilding job? Money doesn't mean everything - Ark could actually hurt V's career if he didn't succeed here.

I say b.s. although I hope it's true.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TuffTusk

As big of a long shot as this appears, the University wants the endzone construction/suites paid for.  Making this happen could go along way towards that.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time