Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Kirk states that he heard that Venables is in fact coming to Arkansas as DC

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouthhawg72

Venables wants to be a head coach.. So if he comes here & turns around our defense then he will be just that... A HC somewhere... If he came then that's why he would leave Clemson.
DownSouthHawg

Big Boi

I'm sure in his interview he made a point he could/would hire Venables. I just hope we didn't hire him because of this promise.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Redhogs on December 05, 2017, 08:35:06 pm
You are all suckers....we just got shafted and you idiots are begging for more. BV is not coming within 1500 miles of this clown show...wake up.

Probably won't get Venables, but it's only 828 miles from Clemson, SC to Fayetteville so the chances are already better than you think!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

OtterHog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 05, 2017, 05:32:56 pm
Only way I’ll support a Chad Morris hire.

Luckily there are many other in state schools that could use your support!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on December 06, 2017, 11:09:16 am
Venables wants to be a head coach.. So if he comes here & turns around our defense then he will be just that... A HC somewhere... If he came then that's why he would leave Clemson.
Does he want to be a HC? He may be waiting until his stock is such that he can pick his job but he's had pretty dang good stock for a long time now.

Me wishing here: maybe he wants to be a coordinator for life. Some people recognize that that is what they are best at. Maybe he doesn't want the stress of being a HC and now has a chance to reunite with a friend and go to a school that needs help and if he gets Arkansas' defense to national power levels then he's very solidly cemented his reputation as one of the best defensive coaches in college

redeye

Quote from: GuvHog on December 06, 2017, 09:23:58 am
It isn't as far fetched as you think.

(A) Morris and Venables are very close friends.

(B) Venables wants to move back closer to home and family.

(C) He gets at least a Million dollar a year raise and the Assistant HC title.

I was very, very skeptical about the Chad Morris hire but if he pulls this off it will change my opinion. I really hope it happens.

There are plenty of reasons it could happen, but like I said, people only look on the surface.  One Clemson fan said he thinks there's problems between BV and Dabo, but he was just guessing.

Quote from: HogKong on December 06, 2017, 10:32:28 am
FWIW, he made the move from being the DC at Oklahoma to the DC at Clemson at a time that Oklahoma was still the better job and team. I don't believe he will come here, but I'm saying his past shows that he has done it before. Clemson at the time didn't come off of a 1 Win conference record, but they were not the team they are today.

Very true!  And while that was a good season for Clemson, it came after a losing season, which put Dabo on the hot seat.  Clemson wasn't a national title contender, yet, but BV left Oklahoma, anyhow, and it was Morris who talked him into doing it.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: root_hawg on December 05, 2017, 05:35:30 pm
Why would you leave Clemson to come to Ark for a lateral move???? ???

Because I've won a national championship at Clemson (pressure without a challenge).
Because I liked working with Morris from 2012-14 (friendships)
Because my wife doesn't like South Carolina but like the Oklahoma / Arkansas area (family)
Because I want something different (six seasons at Clemson, not everyone is Bud Foster).

Monte Kiffin left Nebraska where he had coached two national championship defenses and took the same position at Arkansas with a new coach -- after we had a 5-5-1 season. And stayed happily for several years until he became a head coach at NC State.

I'm not at all claiming he'll come, but people take jobs for a lot of reasons related to their lives, not necessarily how much money they'll make or how many games they win. Look at all the FCS coaches they do not want FBS jobs.

snoblind

Quote from: JimDandy on December 06, 2017, 12:07:24 am
Did you really write those quotes in your signature that you attribute to yourself? Big, if true.

No, he didn't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgette92 on December 05, 2017, 11:28:51 pm
Clemson will pay him $2.5M if it comes down to money for him, I can promise you that. 

It probably won't even take that much to keep him at Clemson. 

Ask yourself this...if you had a son who was a 4* athlete, where would you want him playing....and be honest with yourself.  Clemson...who has had one of if not the most dominate defenses in the nation and is competing for championships year in and year out and pumping players into the NFL...or Arkansas, which is a complete dumpster fire right now? 

Clemson is the obvious answer when you put fandom aside and use common sense. 

I'd advise my son to go wherever he feels is best for him. I'd also want to hear his realistic pros and cons of each place and guide him if any aren't realistic and winning a NC is not one of those and neither is a firm statement by ANY coach they will be there the whole time he would be no matter what school they coach. IF a coach tells my son that I'll advise him to look elsewhere. If he might be good enough for the pro's after a few years I'd tell him it doesn't matter where you go to college, IF you are good enough the pro's will find you. All of THAT is true common sense.

P.S. Clemson didn't compete for championships year in and year out until Dabo got the job. There is also no way to say for certain if Dabo will always be there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LuckyGiraffe

Not every coach wants the pressure of being a HC. $2.5M/year, coaching with a great friend again, and being closer to family could be exactly what he wants. It's a new challenge, and his boys are about to enter into their collegiate years.

Yesterday around midday someone with many more zeroes in their bank account than me told me to expect a surprise hire. I asked if it was Morris, and they said, 'No.' This would definitely fit that conversation.

And yes... I desperately want this to be true!

sickboy

I get the feeling that he would only want to be a head coach under the right circumstances. And those might be very specific circumstances.

longpig

A monkey could pull a better prospective hire out of his ass.

Scott Van Pelt just said Matt Patricia will be the Arkansas DC.

^^ See what I mean?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Redhogs

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 06, 2017, 11:11:23 am
Probably won't get Venables, but it's only 828 miles from Clemson, SC to Fayetteville so the chances are already better than you think!
Gotta give ya props...funny as hell..I've gone from  angry, to don't care, to give him a short leash chance. After all, what choice do we have at this point. His staff will be key, if he's liked as much as everybody keeps telling us, he should be able to do that.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tony Perkis on December 06, 2017, 08:21:34 am
I just hope we don't have to wait a month to find out.

If we don't have a DC in a months time then I'd say we know he's coming.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 09:32:16 am
naw, not all all. here he could be a star; there he'd be a bench warming white kid.

Then he'd fit right in there considering the schools heritage link to John Calhoun............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: longpig on December 06, 2017, 11:39:12 am
A monkey could pull a better prospective hire out of his ass.

Scott Van Pelt just said Matt Patricia will be the Arkansas DC.

^^ See what I mean?
WHAT?? No BV...color me shocked... ;) ;)

snoblind

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 06, 2017, 11:15:18 am
Does he want to be a HC? He may be waiting until his stock is such that he can pick his job but he’s had pretty dang good stock for a long time now.

Me wishing here: maybe he wants to be a coordinator for life. Some people recognize that that is what they are best at. Maybe he doesn’t want the stress of being a HC and now has a chance to reunite with a friend and go to a school that needs help and if he gets Arkansas’ defense to national power levels then he’s very solidly cemented his reputation as one of the best defensive coaches in college

This.  Sure his representatives have talked to folks, but we don't really know what he's thinking.  Nothing wrong with hoping.

After the defenses we have had the past few years I'd say you are correct about his reputation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on December 06, 2017, 11:37:50 am
I get the feeling that he would only want to be a head coach under the right circumstances. And those might be very specific circumstances.

Perhaps when Bill Snyder retires again.

clew

Pure as the dawn

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

Quote from: SlickWilly on December 05, 2017, 05:31:44 pm
Otis Kirk is less credible than Wally.

The Venables rumor is just to make the underwhelming Morris hire seem exciting.

I think so.
GO HOGS!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 05, 2017, 05:33:37 pm
Heard from several talking heads that this is a real possibility. We must be trying to pay him upwards of $2.5MM

Just how many millimeters can you get for Two Fiddy.!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

elkhog

Quote from: LRHawg on December 05, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
This makes 0 sense for Venebles career. Lateral move to AR???

Yeah.  Have to hope more money and a challenge is attractive to him.
GO HOGS!!!

Redhogs

Quote from: elkhog on December 06, 2017, 11:53:37 am
That would be the best possible news out of this whole mess, if true.  Not holding my breath.
Shades of the coaching search inside scoop??  Funny.

Chief Mac

Speaking of Venables, has anyone seen Gohogs1091?  Hope he hasn't stroked out over the thought of his man crush potentially being hired on staff for the Hogs
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

redneckfriend

I'm having a real hard time understanding why a guy who is in line for every HC job that opens up would risk that by coming to Arkansas where he inherits an absolutely horrible defense (I know, I know- it was all due to coaching we have "talent", Lol). I'm sure he could recruit better but it would take two or three years for results on the field and by then he'll be a head coach if he stays at Clemson. Seems to be another Hogville canard- Malzahn, Gruden!

rickm1976

Quote from: ballhog™ on December 05, 2017, 05:34:46 pm
If we were going to give Gus 7 mill, why not?

This is the only way I can even give this rumor any possibility of being even a long shot.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: LRHawg on December 05, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
This makes 0 sense for Venebles career. Lateral move to AR???
Hahahaha it would be nowhere near a lateral move. Top 3 program to bottom 15 program.

Watch the admin get played by Venables as badly as they did Gus.

311Hog

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 06, 2017, 12:01:52 pm
I'm having a real hard time understanding why a guy who is in line for every HC job that opens up would risk that by coming to Arkansas where he inherits an absolutely horrible defense (I know, I know- it was all due to coaching we have "talent", Lol). I'm sure he could recruit better but it would take two or three years for results on the field and by then he'll be a head coach if he stays at Clemson. Seems to be another Hogville canard- Malzahn, Gruden!

you know i would normally agree but Hogville isn't the genesis of this possible rumor our new coach said he was trying to get Venables and they clearly have a relationship.  i mean im not holding my breath but it would be pretty insane if it did happen.

LuckyGiraffe

Everyone keeps talking about his desire to be a HC. Has he ever actually talked about that?

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 06, 2017, 12:01:52 pm

There's some kind of stink on Venables. Maybe he interviews poorly. Guy has been a DC for damn near 20 years now and hasn't sniffed a head coaching job. There's something wrong there.

Maybe he thinks being in the SEC as a DC takes him one step closer to getting a HC job - trying to follow in the Kirby Smart/Will Muschamp footsteps.

I don't know, I don't think he's coming here, but I'm just saying if you're looking for a reason WHY he would – more money + being in the SEC could be the reason.

Teams don't seem to be beating down the doors to hire him as a HC though.

Calvin Swine

Perhaps being a HC isn't appealing to him right now.  Some people enjoy what they do and don't feel the need to take on more.  I know it seems odd in this ultra competitive arena, but it's possible he enjoys being a coveted (and very well paid) DC without any HC headaches. 

In that interview with Bo, he seems like a guy that's happy being who he is.  Maybe that's the simple answer.

Warrior Way 22

I say throw as much money as you can at him and hope he wants to come coach with his buddy. They're going to get a good DC...too much available funds not to. Why can't it be Venables?
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

Mjs84

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on December 06, 2017, 10:25:08 am
Yes.

Told you that last time he was over at the Guv's palace for dinner? Too bad Jerry, Bobby P and Hatfield all had to cancel though. Missed your insight and advice, which I'm sure, tears them all up.

lol.
This is my non-signature signature.

JusJim

I guess we could actually get by fine without a DC until after the Championship games?  Morris seems to be moving pretty quick on filling spots so maybe a good indication would be if he doesn't fill the DC spot in the next few days to a week and doesn't seem to be in any hurry.....then maybe we could assume that he's waiting to announce Venables after the championship games.

lasthog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 05, 2017, 09:34:10 pm
No....PorkRindJimmy first reported it.

Bet that

PRJ

I've seen more credible  posts on this whole changing of the guard affair from PRJ than anyone else.

redeye

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on December 06, 2017, 01:13:52 pm
Everyone keeps talking about his desire to be a HC. Has he ever actually talked about that?

Not to my knowledge and it's commonly believed that he does not.  He was a hot candidate for coaching searches while at Oklahoma, but he moved to Clemson BEFORE they were a national power.  He's also mentioned turning down head coaching jobs and that he plans to retire in about 10 years, so you could surmise that he's running out of time to become a head coach.

My guess is that he has no interest in becoming a head coach.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 06, 2017, 11:21:01 am
Because I've won a national championship at Clemson (pressure without a challenge).
Because I liked working with Morris from 2012-14 (friendships)
Because my wife doesn't like South Carolina but like the Oklahoma / Arkansas area (family)
Because I want something different (six seasons at Clemson, not everyone is Bud Foster).

Monte Kiffin left Nebraska where he had coached two national championship defenses and took the same position at Arkansas with a new coach -- after we had a 5-5-1 season. And stayed happily for several years until he became a head coach at NC State.

I'm not at all claiming he'll come, but people take jobs for a lot of reasons related to their lives, not necessarily how much money they'll make or how many games they win. Look at all the FCS coaches they do not want FBS jobs.

If I read somewhere recently BV would like to stop coaching in 10 more years....

That would mean if he currently makes 1.7 million then in 10 years his earnings will be 17 million from Clemson.

If he accepts the Arkansas offer at 2.5 million then in 10 years his earnings would be 25 million.

If his goal is to have a certain amount before he leaves coaching then if he accepts the Arkansas offer he could leave coaching about 4 years earlier.

Something to seriously take in consideration, retire at 52 with coin in the bank...or retire at 56 with the same amount of coin.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: lasthog on December 06, 2017, 09:12:48 pm
I've seen more credible  posts on this whole changing of the guard affair from PRJ than anyone else.

He casts a very wide net...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

SchrodingersHog

Venables is coming!  Venables is coming!

There seems to be a note of desperation to the Venables rumor mill.

I'm not crazy about the CM hire, but it's done.  I hope he does well.  Just stop trying to sugarcoat the hire with the Venables nonsense.  I seriously doubt we would be willing to pay what it would take to get him to leave Clemson to take a career gamble here.

Tusks

This Vebanbles thing is the fakest of all the fake news around this coaching search.

Its not going to happen.   It's a red herring for fans to chase.  After a month someone that's B- level hire will be announced on a Friday at 5:00.  No Grantham, Pruitt,  Aranda, Steele, Chavis, Chisik, is walking through that door.

Sure would be nice if a few assistants with NC rings could be hired into the program.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

FANONTHEHILL

I have no idea who the DC will be, but in the team meeting, Coach Morris told the guys, "I've got the best DC in the country coming".  Not, "I'm going to go find", "not we're trying to get".  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 07, 2017, 05:56:43 am
I have no idea who the DC will be, but in the team meeting, Coach Morris told the guys, "I've got the best DC in the country coming".  Not, "I'm going to go find", "not we're trying to get".  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Like the sound of that!
Thanks FOTH!
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on December 06, 2017, 10:26:26 pm
Venables is coming!  Venables is coming!

There seems to be a note of desperation to the Venables rumor mill.

I'm not crazy about the CM hire, but it's done.  I hope he does well.  Just stop trying to sugarcoat the hire with the Venables nonsense.  I seriously doubt we would be willing to pay what it would take to get him to leave Clemson to take a career gamble here.

Not disagreeing with anything you said but the last statement.. I think we would pony up big,  try and create buzz after the HC hire.. and also I think the deciders know CCM needs a strong D in the SEC, especially with an up-tempo offense.

Dominicanhog

That's very interesting.... if nothing else, he's already got his DC, whomever it is

MuskogeeHogFan

It will be interesting to see who he thinks is the best DC in the country. Sounds like a deal has already been made.
Go Hogs Go!

MemphisBossHog

wow, that is exciting.  Have no reason to doubt you. You have the most direct contact to the team of anyone here.  That is really great news.  Cant wait to hear who it is.   We need something good to happen at Arkansas.  Its about time.

Hate that it couldnt be with BB, but he is apparently a classy guy and has congratulated CCM on twitter. BB is an incredibly good guy.  Hope he finds a good gig somewhere in TV or on another sideline doing what he loves.

Guess we can sit back and watch Morris put together his staff and see how he can recruit.  Can he "recruit" a great DC to Arkansas? Can he recruit elite level prospects to Fayetteville?  Man I hope so.

Oliver

I mean if he's best friends with Venables, you'd think he'd say that about only him