Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those on the fence about Kiffin...

Started by FaytownHog, December 05, 2017, 12:46:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

read this and see if it does anything for you. I still don't know if he's my top choice but I would definitely be ok with it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21493936/florida-atlantic-coach-lane-kiffin-having-fun-now-winning

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

King Kong

Really I'd you just listen to a Kiffin interview you will like him

pigmania

Go get Kiffin. Offer whatever it takes to get him here. Don't blow this hire!

cosmodrum

For better or worse, we'd be in another coaching search by 2020.
Go away, batin'

Flrazrback

Great story. Much more of a Lane Kiffin fan after that.

HogRick

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2017, 12:46:32 am
read this and see if it does anything for you. I still don't know if he's my top choice but I would definitely be ok with it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21493936/florida-atlantic-coach-lane-kiffin-having-fun-now-winning
I'm on Board...... Funny stuff and great coach !!

Hawghiggs

I've no doubt that Kiffin would be a solid coach. But he is not loyal and will bolt at the drop of a better offer.

Muleriderhog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 05, 2017, 05:31:55 am
I've no doubt that Kiffin would be a solid coach. But he is not loyal and will bolt at the drop of a better offer.
Same thing was said about Petrino. We are a destination job and a buyout would keep him from leaving. Also if he were to leave it would be solely due to the fact that he won here and won big which would leave us in a better spot than we are in now.

W00PIGS000IE

I was sold on Kiffin after I heard him speak at the Broyles Award.

Broadway Rob

December 05, 2017, 05:58:08 am #10 Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:15:46 am by Broadway Rob
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 05, 2017, 12:58:22 am

He literally bolted on one job in his career.  He left Tenn. to go to his dream job at USC.  He has no pattern of running to other jobs.  All of this could be solved with a huge buyout similar to Iowa State's anyway.  Where a school would have to pay a small fortune to poach him.  If Kiffin wouldn't sign that, you move on. 

Wanting Norvell is fine.  I think MN would be great as well.  But you cannot predict the future, so you shouldn't be dishonest about LK's record to try to pump up your champion. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

mr_v8horsepower

Smallie Bigs

I'm not convinced that he even wants the job. Tired of getting my hopes up. If he wants it then heck yes! I'm all in.
Watchdog defending all things Razorback.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: thebigshot on December 05, 2017, 06:16:04 am
Kiffin would be gone in two years. This guy isn't a long term coach only a short solution. His not the future we need. He will do more damage to Arkansas. You think what Bobby did was wrong what kiffin will do be even worse. I don't trust this guy at all period!!! Someone else can have him and sell their soul to the devil. This guy is a bad Apple, he has one good year at Florida woo boo and everyone wants him ? The rest of his history speaks for itself, he doesn't stay anywhere longer than 3 years. Why come here? He knows he won't be able to do nothing at Arkansas. If we going allow itself to pick kiffin I won't be renewing my season tickets. I have bought season tickets for the last 10 years.

Not one thing you wrote here about Kiffin is a fact btw.  All speculation and agenda pumping on your part.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

HogT

Great article +1

#BringTheTrain
Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

The_Iceman

Kiffin would be an A+ hire for Arkansas.

duckman

If you think Kiffin would be gone in two years, have you ever heard of a buyout?  People, things like that can be taken care of up front.  This is the guy we need...

oldman1015

Quote from: duckman on December 05, 2017, 06:28:08 am
If you think Kiffin would be gone in two years, have you ever heard of a buyout?  People, things like that can be taken care of up front.  This is the guy we need...
Some of our people want a preacher who will stay here for 20 years. I want as ass who will win games.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

hoggusamoungus

Kiffin would be gone in two years. This guy isn't a long term coach only a short solution. His not the future we need. He will do more damage to Arkansas. You think what Bobby did was wrong what kiffin will do be even worse. I don't trust this guy at all period!!! Someone else can have him and sell their soul to the devil. This guy is a bad Apple, he has one good year at Florida woo boo and everyone wants him ? The rest of his history speaks for itself, he doesn't stay anywhere longer than 3 years. Why come here? He knows he won't be able to do nothing at Arkansas. If we going allow itself to pick kiffin I won't be renewing my season tickets. I have bought season tickets for the last 10 years.

You bought tickets during a six year stretch where we've won 13 SEC games but won't give the new coach a chance? 

VBMark

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 05, 2017, 06:45:31 am
You bought tickets during a six year stretch where we've won 13 SEC games but won't give the new coach a chance?

This.

Same deal with Morris.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Smithian

I would be down for Kiffin, it just isn't happening.

hawgwash

Quote from: Broadway Rob on December 05, 2017, 05:58:08 am
He literally bolted on one job in his career.  He left Tenn. to go to his dream job at USC.  He has no pattern of running to other jobs.  All of this could be solved with a huge buyout similar to Iowa State's anyway.  Where a school would have to pay a small fortune to poach him.  If Kiffin wouldn't sign that, you move on. 

Wanting Norvell is fine.  I think MN would be great as well.  But you cannot predict the future, so you shouldn't be dishonest about LK's record to try to pump up your champion. 
In addition to the one time he quit (Tennessee, after just one year) he was also fired 3 times in very unusual ways, usually involving some acrimony.  He was fired from the Raiders and USC in the first month of the season, and from Alabama during the playoffs.  Why does this stuff keep happening with Kiffin?

GuvHog

I'm not on the fence with Kiffin. I would be okay with him as well as Norvell or Venables.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Kevin

this is the Arkansas problem, let's not do this because off all the things that could go wrong.

our new motto should be We Go Big, We are not afraid
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

East TN HAWG

Loved what he said about Saban, and the discipline he learned from Saban.   

AugustaHog

I have had Lane down the list because I don't trust him to be a good representative of the school/state/team.  The more I have thought about it, the further up the list I move him.  I don't care if the guy is a choirboy, I just want to win.  Lock him up with a buyout and airtight contract and let's go.  One caveat would be that I'm not so sure that I love his current assistant pool.  His brother was one of the guilty parties in recruiting for OM.  He was pretty loose and obvious in breaking the rules.  He can't leave campus to recruit for 2 years.  Not a good associate to have.  You can bet NCAA scrutiny will follow him wherever he goes.  The other is Kendal Briles.  You can't convince me that his old man was the only member of that staff that knew about all the cover-ups.  I worry about some of these associations and the issues that they may bring.  I don't think Lane is going to take too well to us dictating who he can and can't bring.  He just seems like a guy who is going to say, if that's how you feel count me out.  It may be the same way with a hefty buy-out.  Won't know until we try.  If he is as friendly with Yurachek as some say, that may help.  I want to win, just don't want to get the result OM did.

Hog Waller

hawg1221

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Dropkick

Quote from: GuvHog on December 05, 2017, 07:29:05 am
I'm not on the fence with Kiffin. I would be okay with him as well as Norvell or Venables.
Me 2

LawyerHog50

I'd like to think he's learned a bit. He says he has. But massive maturity problems don't disappear so quickly. They might be less bad but he has been far too immature  go to be near average maturity by now.

More importantly he's used to the big city beach lifestyle. The moment Florida or a bigger program came calling he's on his way there and we become his next twitter troll fodder.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

HogPokerPlayer

I will buy them if they are decent. Thanks.

mcdewserson

Here's a piece from SI after he left Alabama.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/28/lane-kiffin-alabama-usc-fau

Discussion ranges from defending his time at USC, to what he learned from Saban, and his current outlook on coaching/life.

talley

WHAT HAS HE DONE!!!! he couldn't win at Tennessee and he couldn't win at USC. You can say they had sanctions during that time, but I guarantee you it was STILL easier to get good players there than here.  Not to mention, I bet they had more 4 and 5 star talent then we do right now.  AND they don't play the same talent level and he STILL couldn't get it done.  The man went to Alabama where they have literally more 4 and 5 star players on the bench then we will have in 5 years and it's not like he lit the world on fire with his offense.  NOT TO MENTION the amount of baggage the man brings.  I just don't get the love or the upside the man would bring here. 

Corkscrew Johnson

Kiffin is definitely a juicier, more high profile name than the other candidates.

However, out of all the threads written about him, no one has really been able to address his leadership issues at every stop:  Oakland to Tennessee to USC to Alabama, he has essentially burned bridges everywhere he has been.  Maybe he has matured.  But I would like to hear some genuine responses about why this time would be different.  So far the only retort has been, "you must be a Gus/Norvell/Morris/(insert coach) lover'.   Well, not really.   But I do have some concerns about a coach who has essentially been a live grenade everywhere he has been. 

Ham Ham Pigelow

Doesn't matter what the fans want, it's what the administration is willing to do to hire him.  I don't think the admin/boosters would go down the Kiffin road.

hawg1221

Dominicanhog

If he completes a correspondence course at UCA will that help?  Then he'd be one of us..

mcdewserson

^^ read the SI article to hear he himself talk about his perceived struggles at USC. Absolutely not defending him but it may shed some light. Honestly, anyone on the fence it may push either way. It would seem that if he turned around and left fau after 1 season his perceived maturity may be a little overstated. I get that it's a "better job", but him hopping for the grass on the other side of the fence has always been a big part of the knock on him. Also he seems to take a shot at living in Tuscaloosa in the article so Fayetteville would seem an odd fit.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on December 05, 2017, 08:07:24 am
Doesn't matter what the fans want, it's what the administration is willing to do to hire him.  I don't think the admin/boosters would go down the Kiffin road Lane lane.

FIFY
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

AugustaHog

Quote from: talley on December 05, 2017, 08:06:15 am
WHAT HAS HE DONE!!!! he couldn't win at Tennessee and he couldn't win at USC. You can say they had sanctions during that time, but I guarantee you it was STILL easier to get good players there than here.  Not to mention, I bet they had more 4 and 5 star talent then we do right now.  AND they don't play the same talent level and he STILL couldn't get it done.  The man went to Alabama where they have literally more 4 and 5 star players on the bench then we will have in 5 years and it's not like he lit the world on fire with his offense.  NOT TO MENTION the amount of baggage the man brings.  I just don't get the love or the upside the man would bring here.
He was getting good players, but the numbers he could get were very limited.  Depth was the biggest issue with the sanctions.  Considering all that was hanging over them, I don't think he did a bad job.  UT was a 1 year thing and he was trying to transition away from Fulmer and the down-turn he had their program on.  I honestly think he would've stuck around at UT had it not been for SC coming open.  That was clearly his dream job.  Was it sketchy to leave that soon?  Probably so, but I imagine he envisioned turning the Trojans around and being in that job for a long time. 

mcdewserson

The hire to me would be, to oversimplify, Bobby 2.0. He's no doubt a great offensive coach and few would argue. However, you would always wonder when he would up and move to the next stepping stone or do something stupid that gets him fired. Some people are inherently OK with taking that risk in hopes that he likes it here and keeps his head screwed on straight. Others aren't interested in the risk. Not your cup of tea.

blu

He appears to be an immature, arrogant, me-first, spoiled brat. Can't stand him, would be very hard for me to get behind either him or Leach.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Sow’sEar

Extremely uninformed post....

LawyerHog50

Well said.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

GuvHog

Kiffin doesn't want a high buyout. He wants to be able to pursue a better job if one comes along. That's why he didn't get hired at Houston.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 05, 2017, 12:58:22 am
For better because it would be three years of contending instead of 5 years of pretending (Norvell, Morris, Leach, Venables, etc.)

AugustaHog

Quote from: mcdewserson on December 05, 2017, 08:17:38 am
^^ read the SI article to hear he himself talk about his perceived struggles at USC. Absolutely not defending him but it may shed some light. Honestly, anyone on the fence it may push either way. It would seem that if he turned around and left fau after 1 season his perceived maturity may be a little overstated. I get that it's a "better job", but him hopping for the grass on the other side of the fence has always been a big part of the knock on him. Also he seems to take a shot at living in Tuscaloosa in the article so Fayetteville would seem an odd fit.
I'm not a staunch Lane Train supporter by any means.  FAU is by definition a job you hop from as quickly as a better opportunity presents itself.  I have no issue with him running from that place ASAP.  Fayetteville is a much nicer place than Tuscaloosa IMO.  I think his issue with being in Tuscaloosa was being an assistant and being paid (albeit really well for an assistant) assistant money and having to live in Tuscaloosa.  If he's knocking out 4.5 mil, I'm sure he'd be happy living wherever.

The Kig

Quote from: mcdewserson on December 05, 2017, 08:17:38 am
Also he seems to take a shot at living in Tuscaloosa in the article so Fayetteville would seem an odd fit.

Fayetteville is a substantially nice place than Tuscaloosa... My daughter goes to school there, so I know.
Poker Porker