Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why not? Out of the box hire

Started by HVHog, December 04, 2017, 10:29:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HVHog

Venables as Head Coach and Norvell or Morris as OC?  Pay the HC $4M and the OC $2-2.5M and have a great team of recruiters versus all the emphasis in one guy.

JONAS

Norvell or Morris will not come to be a coordinator.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HVHog on December 04, 2017, 10:29:28 pm
Venables as Head Coach and Norvell or Morris as OC?  Pay the HC $4M and the OC $2-2.5M and have a great team of recruiters versus all the emphasis in one guy.

Sounds good!

Arkansas Fan

I'd take Norvell as HC and OC with Venables as DC and pay him 1.5 mill and gets to choose the other defensive staff.

go hogues

So make a guy who's never been a HC the boss and the guys who have been...his subordinates?

TF do you guys come up with this stuff?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

qbrew

I doubt Norvell would move from a head coach on the rise, to an OC  on someone elses team. And I would think a HC would want to choose their own staff.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: HVHog on December 04, 2017, 10:29:28 pm
The crack pipe - drop it.

redeye

Quote from: qbrew on December 04, 2017, 10:33:20 pm
I doubt Norvell would move from a head coach on the rise, to an OC  on someone elses team. And I would think a HC would want to choose their own staff.

Unless he really wants to be the Arkansas coach one day and is willing to wait his time.

I think it's more likely we'd see Morris as HC and Venables as DC, because they're close friends and Venables may want to move closer to home.  Morris even lived in Venables house for a while.

HVHog

The subordinate thing happens all the time in all different levels of coaching.  Still would cost less than what we were going to pony up for malzahn.  Venables has been on 5 NC staffs, ive read.  I would imagine he's qualified.  Lets do something noone else is doing.

ShadowHawg

Jimmy Dykes was an outside of the box hire.

HVHog

Norvell has only been a head coach for 2 years.  Enos did it and doubled his pay in the process.  Can't say Norvell wouldn't also for the right $, plus he wants to be here.

deedster84

I'd take Morris as HC and his friend from Clemson, Venables, as DC. Morris has the HC experience and that would leave Venables with only the defense to worry about and not the politics of HC'ing.

ricehog43

U of A Alum 2011.

redeye

Quote from: HVHog on December 04, 2017, 10:39:33 pm
The subordinate thing happens all the time in all different levels of coaching.  Still would cost less than what we were going to pony up for malzahn.  Venables has been on 5 NC staffs, ive read.  I would imagine he's qualified.  Lets do something noone else is doing.

I wouldn't say no one else is doing it.  Off the top of my head, Dabo and Smart were assistants at Alabama and Herman was an assistant at tOSU.  Everyone has to get their start somewhere.

HogPharmer

Quote from: redeye on December 04, 2017, 10:36:57 pm
Unless he really wants to be the Arkansas coach one day and is willing to wait his time.

I think it's more likely we'd see Morris as HC and Venables as DC, because they're close friends and Venables may want to move closer to home.  Morris even lived in Venables house for a while.

I think they could probably both afford their own houses now. Regardless of any positions taken.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

redeye

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 04, 2017, 11:06:03 pm

I think they could probably both afford their own houses now. Regardless of any positions taken.

Yea, I imagine they're doing okay...  ;)

I actually got that wrong, though.  Morris sold a house to Venables, but they probably never actually lived together.

HOGINTENNESSEE

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.